Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Chatrient

Pirate Moon

PIRATE MOON

Avast thar! On Octobree th' 31st, Pirate Moon be hangin' high in th' sky! Mad Bess Moriarty, Scourge o` th' Se`en Seas, an' Captain T.J. Barrial wi' be joinin' the'r spirits in unholy matrimony! This scent be created t' commemorate th' union o' these two scurrilous sea dogs.

So, splice th' mainbrace an' get thee loaded t' th' gunwales, me buckos, 'tis a time o' celebration!

Red musk, ambergris, coconut palm, red sandalwood, balsam, date, warm leather, tobacco, ebony, lingum vitae wood, pandanus grass, an' a touch o' lime.

20 Dubloons, ya swabbie!

Oh dear... could it be that I am the first to review this wonderful Forum Scent?? :P

In the Bottle: so deliciously soft ~~ I can barely smell the individual ingredients~~ I smell the softness of the balsam wood and the hint of citrus.

Wet on the skin: much the same as in the bottle, but I do smell some of the ambergris coming out

Drydown: It is such a subtle blend! Overall it reminds me of mornings I spent with my family beach combing for shells and coins. It also reminds me of skin that has had suntan oil on it all day~~ after that skin has been scrubbed clean in a shower.

I think this would be awesome on a man~~ I bet Beth created this one with hers in mind :D

Overall I think this will be a wonderful day time scent ~~ like to wear on Saturday and Sunday, during the day.

I just got my bottle of Pirate Moon and three frimps, including one of Midnight Kiss!

I have to say I am severely unhappy with this order.

...because I ONLY BOUGHT ONE BOTTLE. *sobs*

First, the bottle label looks the same as the Pirate Moon Tee, and there's no name, just the lab name and date, Oct. 31, 2007. Fitting for a wedding announcement, perhaps? :D

In the bottle: Something almost like menthol rises above the other notes, it seems very sharp. Underneath that is an incredible blend of musk, wood, and leather.

Wet: This is so beautifully blended that nothing is standing out once it's on my skin. It's a great big impression of sharp sea air blowing over a pirate ship, maybe one docked on a tropical island somewhere. I don't get coconut at all, which is what I was most afraid of. If it's there, it's extremely subtle to even my food-blend-hating nose.

Drying: Chatrient compared this to suntan lotion, and I can smell the resemblance, but if this is suntan lotion, it's PIRATES ONLY suntan lotion...made from the sweat of pirates, even! :P Very swarthy and swashbuckling, but not so masculine that I can't wear it.

This has seen all my fears allayed. I LOVE this. My only regret is that the throw is light and the wear is short.

Will DEFINITELY be keeping this bottle, and wishing I'd bought a second!

Edited by starwild

Oh. My. God. Why didn't I order two bottles of this? Whyyyyy?

It's too subtle to pick out individual notes, but it reminds me of the summers I spent on Anna Maria Island as a child. It's all there: sun, surf, and sand, with a warm Caribbean breeze blowing through the coconut palms. Simply fantastic.

Avast! This is the perfect pirate scent! It is much softer than Anne Bonny, possibly the scent of a pirate ship that has docked on an island for the night. I can smell the lime, ambergris, and soft woods at first, and then as it dries, the entire blend just lulls together into a dreamland pirate ship. This is excellent!! I ordered two bottles, and will keep one for myself, and give the other to my boyfriend. I would want to smell *anyone* in this, man or woman.

If anything ever smelled like a teenybopper's fantasy of Capt. Jack Sparrow, this is it. Real pirates, I am sure, reeked something awful, but Pirate Moon smells AWESOME. This is the sundrenched and sea-worn deck of a ship docked near a palm-dotted beach at mid-day after it has been scrubbed clean and stocked with goodies for a honeymoon voyage. It smells equally awesome on me and on my fiancé; in fact, it's the first BPAL scent that he's asked to wear again (though we just discovered Wilde today from a frimp, and he has asked for a bottle in my next order).

This is going to be a popular, sought-after scent, I can tell already. I'm just mourning the fact that I only bought one bottle and will have to split this between the boy and myself!

Sniffle.

Pirate Moon does not like me. So many of the notes are on my list of favorites that I was shocked when this just went majorly aquatic and not much else. :P At first, it was a really pleasant aquatic, but something in the dry-down just battles my skin goes sour. It's probably the citrus and the leather. Some leather smells divine on me, but De Sade was evil incarnate, and I'm getting the same sharp leather smell instead of the warm, broken-in one I was hoping for.

Edited by Lit Chick

A beautiful sea scent. The citrus is a great touch. Reminds me of being on a ship in the ocean- just a little bit of salt. Kinda like a pirate ship without the pirates (my friend says she doesn't want to know what a pirate ship smells like). Very subtle. I think this would rock for a sailing trip (like I do a lot of sailing :P).

In the bottle and wet on my skin this is very aquatic (I guess that makes sense, but silly me when I ordered it, I didn't see this as an aquatic scent)--there's salted wood here with lime. Lots of lime. My skin tends to amp citrus like crazy, and in the wet stage of this blend it is certainly following its usual pattern. When the lime calms down, I'm back to the salted woods note and the salt is starting to take on more of the qualities of ambergris. The other notes blend in the background--there is an indescribable freshness that I will attribute the coconut and the palm. That freshness and beachy quality starts to pick up when the salted wood notes that were there when the scent was wet move into the background. For people who really like beachy scents, this is a lovely blend--very subtle and not quite dark as Intrigue. I do wish I could pick up on more of the red musk or another grounding note for this blend, because I love Intrigue (the only beach/aquatic blend I have a bottle of) because of the depth of the cocoa This one's a real quality oil--lots of character and interaction with the skin.

This is the first time I've got a forum-only scent on my own, and it's such a great one, I'm glad I did. It's very subtle, though -- like others, I can't pick out individual scents, and it's almost... quiet, considering the types of notes in it. I'm going to slather it like whoa next time -- the throw is quite light on me, almost invisible, and I don't want to miss out on any of it.

Wet: It's very herby to my nose, almost sharp, and I had my doubts.

Dry: It settles into something very softly resinous, almost spicy. I'm not getting coconut palm much at all, or leather (fortunately or unfortunately -- some leathers stink on me and some smell like heaven), and the woods are so soft and subtle that I can barely say it's wood. After a while I can barely smell it at all, but it lingers a little, like a good skin scent.

Mmmmmmmm! This is different than what I expected; when I saw musk, amber, coconut, and tobacco, I expected a creamy, warm, sweet, spicy scent (kind of like Snake Oil or something).

Upon opening the bottle, I realized I had to re-read the description to find out what this yummy goodness actually contained!

My first impression in the bottle is gentle lime and woods, spicy with just a touch of warmth. On the skin, it warms up a little more after it dries down, and it's really just a unique, clean, spicy scent. It has a masculine edge, but could definitely be worn by both men and women. The coconut is just the faintest touch, and it's a green coconut.

Pirate Moon is a very artfully blended, pleasant scent, aquatic without being sharp. There's not a whole lot I would be willing to part with in exchange for this....

This is so unique and so familiar at the same time. It really does make me feel like I'm on a wild sandy beach, salt in my hair, enjoying a perfect breeze in the sunset. Soft!

I don't want to share any with the boy.....but I probably should, and then get me some pirate lovin :P

A keeper for sure!

Edited by AEris

Wow, this one is weird...and unique! It manages to smell both masculine and feminine without being gender neutral is that makes any sense :P.

Straight on this is totally bitter lime rind but this only lasts maybe 3 seconds. I honestly don't know what I am smelling here but it is compelling. This is rich, salty, with a touch of citrus and woods that I have never smelled before. I almost get a juicy fruit gum smell in the background which is so nice!

I'm seriously at a loss for words. I've been here a long time and have gotten pretty good at detecting notes, but the ones in this blend are so unique and rich. I was hesitant after my first whiff, but I'm convinced...this blend is awesome and should have something for everyone (except the foodies).

Pirate Moon is amazing! It's a beautiful calm aquatic that doesn't turn to soggy weeds or ozone on me. Hurrah!

It's just slightly green, likely from the coconut palm, and full of soft wood notes. It really does put in mind a perfect white beach, blue ocean, and hanging in a hammock between two palm trees. Even the leather note is soft, like good worn doeskin breeches...and now, there's a bit of salty musk and my mind is wandering to a swarthy pirate and some land-lubbin'. :P

I have had such a hard time trying to review Pirate Moon, I've just decided to jump in.

First, I can echo other people in saying this blend is very light. It also smelled very familiar. Maybe I'm crazy, but I don't really interpret this as an aquatic, either. In fact, I don't interpret this as... anything? It's mostly in a world of it's own. It's sweetly woodsy, bitter with palm and ambergris, tart with lime. While all the notes are smooth, I still get the specific "feeling" of sandalwood and balsam. After a while, I realize what seems familiar- I smell a "reedy" sort of note (palm?) that reminds me of Meshkeret, the Vulture Maiden. Just slightly... but it's there.

Overall, Pirate Moon is light (and a fast fader on me, unfortunately), and I really wish I could detect any tobacco or leather, but it's intriguing. Just when you think it's familiar, it seems like something else. Ugh... does that make sense? I don't know what else to say except it's sophisticated. I have trouble calling it "pirate-y", "aquatic", "beach-y", anything. It is it's own special beauty. :P

This one goes on very strong but ends up quite light. Someone above me actually compared it to Anne Bonny and I have to agree! It's a muskier Anne Bonny in my opinion :P I don't think it's quite what I was expecting, in that it's a generally pleasing scent but not quite stand out-ish to me. The musk is lovely (as Beth's red musk blends always are!) and it smells nice on me but on the other hand, I do not get coconut, leather or lime in this. When it's dry, it smells of sandalwood and red musk. My final verdict is that this is a really pleasant scent, but if you didn't get your hands on one I sort of think that Anne Bonny is close enough to compare to this somewhat. I'll be keeping mine though! :D

This is truly a perfect pirate scent. It's soft and so well blended that it's tough to pick out the individual notes but to me, it's conjuring up a pirate ship at sea or just docked, at nighttime, the moon on the water, softly swaying somewhere down in the tropics with the citrus and sea in the air. It's gorgeous and quite gender-neutral. It's probably not something I'd wear everyday but it's really beautiful in it's unusualness. A very calm and calming scent.

Y'know when Kramer sells the idea for beach perfume to Calvin Klein? Calvin only wishes he'd come up with this.

Instant top 5 for me. This is going to be a summer go-to scent for me, and I may have to break my no hoarding rule for it!

When I first put this on I thought it smelled overly perfumey and a touch herby. Then it still smelled kind of herby to me but not so perfumey. It smelled like grasses and wood. Then it made a fabulous turn for the better and became muskier and ... rawer, somehow. I think that's the leather.

It smells surprisingly fresh but musky at the same time. Also like being in the middle of tall grass next to the ocean. It's really a different scent after it warms up.

I don't know exactly how to describe it, but it does smell very piratey. :P

I don't know why but I get Old Spice w/ Lime from this. In the bottle, it's a pleasant aquatic mens cologne, with hints of lime ...but on me, I can't even bring out individual notes, just the overwhelming scent of Old Spice + Lime.

The Phoenix did the same thing to me though, so this may be peculiar skin chemistry thing. I'm going to hold off getting rid of this, try it again in a week or so... and add to this review if necessary but I did want to get these thoughts out before I forgot about them and/or in case anyone else gets the same result and t's not just me.

Pirate Moon has been surprising me by winning me over... it smells nothing like I was expecting, and yet I keep being drawn back to it.

My experience with red musk (Mme. Moriarty, Scherezade, The Great Sword of War, Hollywood Babylon) led me to believe I was going to be getting something heady and intense, but Pirate Moon is much more subdued. When fresh on my skin it reminds me greatly of some body powder my mom had when I was young... there is in fact a powdery sort of note, I think from the sandalwood and grasses, but it is not overly powder-smelling. I can detect the sharp sweetness of the lime, and there is a smoothness of tobacco and leather that I appreciate, though it is much fainter in this incarnation than in Perversion or Red Lantern. Really, this all blends into an inseparable whole where notes are hard to identify individually; their shapes are barely distinct from the whole.

Unfortunately, as many have said before, Pirate Moon is a fairly light and fleeting scent... I'm beginning to think that a scent locket is in order one of these days, because I'd like to keep this one around, after all.

This is so well blended, I couldn't really pick out individual notes, and like a previous reviewer, I had to come back and check the note list to refresh my memory.

It's wonderfully sexy - my first thought was 'it's Two Monsters gone to sea' - and not at all 'cologney', as some ocean-type scents can be. This is definitely the scent of a pirate ship - if it's the sort of ship captained by Johnny Depp in eyeliner. :P I'm glad I gambled on this one!

In the bottle: Red musk and a bunch of other swarthy things.

Wet: Wow. Green grass, musk, balsa wood, a hint of leather, a spring of herbs, something a little woodsy, a little lightly spiced, a little masculine, a little bit wench-like, and just a touch aquatic. Impressive combination. Pirate Moon is setting up to be a morpher.

Drydown: Holy crap. Once in a while, after a little bit of that old hesitancy that you’ve tried something new and bought a bend that in theory could be really really awesome, or really really bad with your chemistry, you sometimes hit upon a winner that’s so absolutely insanely terrific that you deserve every self-inflicted kick to your own backside. I’m seriously kicking myself for only getting one bottle. Pirate Moon behaves as a gender neutral blend on me, it’s extremely fresh, a little woodsy, and a little cool. It reminds me of cold saltine spray against skin that’s caught a ripple of goosebumps from a hard, fast gale. It’s beautiful, lightly aquatic, lightly woodsy, and I’m thrilled that I have one bottle to call my own.

Edited by Medici

This is beautiful, but I didn't need two bottles of it. I should have known better because aquatics hardly ever work out for me, but because it was *Pirate* Moon, I just had to get a backup. Now they're both taunting me with the fresh, natural beachiness that turns to potpourri on my skin, thanks to my crappy body chemistry. :P

Oh, I so didn't expect to like this one -- it's sharp in the bottle, with definite lime. But as it dries, it blends so that it's difficult to pick out individual notes. Woods and leather are most prominent, but it's not brand new squeaky leather but rather well-worn cowhide... saddle leather maybe. And there's sweetness and an almost comforting note there. It's like a plush pirate scent -- very lovely and summery and comforting. A definite keeper, perfect for lazy summer nights.

straight sniff from the bottle is a beth and ted scent .... no shit

amazing....i am thrilled i have at least one bottle...it is that amazing.....

salty, sea shippy, leathery and phenomenal....

keep up the good work maytees!!

In the bottle: A lot lighter than I was expecting. Light, salty aquatic, wood, hint of leather, just the baaaarest hint of lime. Really nice.

Wet: RED MUSK. And nothing else.

Dry: Still just red musk. :P I wanted SO MUCH for this to work on me, because it's our very own wedding gift from Beth! Alas, I just have to accept that I can't wear red musk, no matter how much I want to. I'll let it age and see if it gets along with my skin after several months.