Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Chatrient

Pirate Moon

Red musk, ambergris, coconut palm, red sandalwood, balsam, date, warm leather, tobacco, ebony, lingum vitae wood, pandanus grass, an' a touch o' lime.

I had high hopes for this one, even though a lot of the notes are a bit iffy on me. This started out very much as warm salty ocean air, with a hint of wood and just the barest hint of leather. I got no red musk (good, since it's usually odd on my skin) and very, very little lime. It was like a pirate ship, but empty - all the pirates are away in town and the ship is bobbing gently in the waves just off the island shore. Soon though, as it dries, it becomes apparent that one of the pirates HAS stayed back on the ship, to do his laundry. It's in the dryer now (apparently these are quite modern pirates, to have a dryer on board!), and the scent of warm clean laundry is floating strongly in the salt air, above the wood scent of the ship. He's not using any girly flowery dryer sheets or anything, it's just clean clothes tumbling in the dryer.

Up close, it's mostly salt air and ship, but way nicer than the other salty wood scents I've tried. The throw, however, is all warm clean laundry fresh from the dryer. I'm going to keep the bottle and hope the laundry ages out some. I don't necessarily MIND smelling like clean fresh laundry, but it wasn't what I was expecting here. Edited by AmyAngel

PIRATE MOON

Wet: Red musk and a touch of something herbal that is highly bitter and green.

Dry: This starts out almost perfumey and with a strong, bitter green note. I think it might be the coconut palm and/or balsam. After less than five minutes, though, the red musk appears and serves as the base for the rest of the scent. The bitterness is still there but it's less overwhelming and more complementary. The leather works so well with the red musk. Beyond that, I am not able to individually pinpoint other notes, not even the lime. Instead this becomes a deeply complex scent that is gender neutral, sexy, adventurous, reminiscent of ships and sea air, and very, very fitting for a commemorative pirate wedding scent. Average throw and wear-length.

I have a soft spot for red musk as it is, but this is very unique and gorgeous. It's hard to describe it, but I know this much: I am so glad I bought more than one bottle!

Edited by alicia_stardust

At first I get wood and kelp - a very peaceful pirate boat at night. After a very long time, Pirate Moon fades down to lime and incense (maybe the sandalwood?). This is so lovely, too bad it doesn't have much throw and disappears as quickly as a pirate raiding party.

Yep, I too, am mourning the fact that I didn't stock up on more than one bottle.

The label is great - a pirate flag and the wedding date. very striking.

in the bottle all I get is a hint of salt and citrus and something fresh.

On the skin, I get lots and lots of fresh green palm leaves, fresh ocean breeze (no kidding!), salty air, balsam, dates, sun-warmed wood, a hint of ambergris, a touch of sparkling lime, and a really dreamy musk.

after a long drydown this is fresh and green and citrusy while the woods and musk just kind of chill in the background.

A perfectly unisex scent. Beautiful, complex, fresh, sexy.

Edited by crimescenecleanup

pirate moon is actually too fresh for me. i love red musk and it's delicious in here; there's a very pleasant woodiness and sweetness as well, but what dominates on me is the grass. it's incredibly green and grassy. it brings to mind a bright, sunny island in the middle of a crystalline blue sea. beautiful but too bright for me!

In the bottle: fresh-cut grass.

Wet: grass-citrus-salt-aquatic.

Drydown: Lime, salt, wood, water.

Great unisex scent, I agree. Very very well-blended and balanced. It's actually quite hard to pick out individual notes. It just smells GOOD in a more rugged sort of a way than, say, Bordello.

Arrrrrr.

Wow. This is much prettier and softer than I expected. At first it was very fresh and green. Then bizarrely it goes to flowers and reminds me of the trumpet plant in my backyard. Then when it is completely dry it goes a tiny bit musky with the green. It fades quite a bit on my skin. I wish it was a little stronger after it dries. And I wish my skin let the musk out a little more. I do really like it though.

Very smooth, slightly sweet... perfection. It is so well blended I cannot pick out any one note. Sweet, musky, with a lovely gorgeous earthy woodiness. Just a hint of sea breezes. I can't stop sniffing where I put it on. I love it!

In bottle, sweet and musky, with a woody undertone and a sharp edge I suspect is the lime. On first application, it is musky and woody. Wet, it is lighter and sweeter and more complex than dragon musk, the various elements blend beautifully, making individual notes hard to differentiate. it is a fairly androgynous scent. It shifts a lot, my nostrils constantly straining to catch a whiff of the lighter notes. I will think, "Is that tobacco?" and then the little scent ghost will have blended back into the mass. Given time, the sandlewood gets stronger, blending seamlessly with the musk. It is a fairly fast fader, alas, but it leaves one with a leather/tobacco, wood scent that is pleasant, if softer than I'd hoped.

Oh, this is delicious. It's musk and sandelwood and soft leather with a bit of wood and a hint of tobacco in the background. :P It's wonderful and complex, but still soft. While I think this would smell spiffy on a man, it also smells fabulous on me. *g* This one is definitely a winner.

In bottle: sharp aquatic detergent

On skin: sharp seaworthy driftwood, with a bit of leather and lime

Half-hour later: dusty aquatic, fading fast with a peek of red musk

In conclusion: this blend was hard to pin down for me; most aquatics end up too masculine or as sneezy laundry detergent, but this one has additional ingredients which I love like red musk and coconut palm. I really like this one, it's like a mini-cruise. What a great commerative blend for a Pirate Wedding!

Hmmmm, definitely some salty sea brine and a couple of sexy pirates in this bottle!! The top note is probably the ambergris, but it's really nicely blended with a distinct seaside note and some powdery florals. It reminds me a bit of a sophisticated aftershave, but with an aged, piratey, salty kick to it.

I think this would be nice on women too, in spite of it smelling rather masculine to me. This is rather long lasting. This dries down to a powdery ambergris blend, not quite my thing. I think the hubbie will like it too, and I'm sure on the right person this is just lovely.

PIRATE MOON

In Bottle: Clean dark musk

On Skin: This is gorgeous, hands down. I smell the red musk right away which is a note that tends to love me. Here it does for sure, it amps and seduces me at first sniff. The leather is light and sexy, the woods are soft but deep, the tobacco offers a light smokey quality. The cocnut palm is more green than sweet but gives a nice contrast. The lime is very faint and just slices through quickly with the other resinous scents filling the short gap it left. This is a drop dead sexy night on a forbidden island after a day of plundering. I haven’t really fallen love with any of the lab’s pirate blends, usually they’re too aquatic or patchouli filled, whereas this one suits me perfectly. I LOVE it! Plus the fact that it goes along with Beth’s wedding makes me love it even more. What a beautiful association to keep with it. It has medium throw and a nice long wearlength.

woohoo! *ahem*

ok, it smells like carrots in the bottle. i'm not nuts, i swear, my husband thinks so too. but it changes quickly to musk and marine scents and just a teeny bit of lime. I don't get leather thank god (it's yucky on me) but it might just be way in the background w/ the woods sort of "grounding" the scent. I also get a slight hint of some floral there at the end of dry-down, but i have no idea why since i don't think there should be any florals.

In the bottle, it smells woodsy and herbal, like the expensive shave creams made by Crabtree and Evelyn for men. Wet, very strongly woody and salty and something else I can't pick out. Smells amazing. BUT very quickly this turns to slightly-spicy hotel soap.

However, dry this is one HOT scent for men, I tell you what. Reminds me of the only dept. store men's cologne I've ever liked (and I love it!), Colors de Benetton. It makes me weak in the knees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very well balanced dark herbs is what I get in the end, but then I'm a weirdo.

Oh, and usually leather and tobacco or smoke scents are nasty on me, but this is very beautiful, except when it smells like soap for a little while.

Edited by djnevermore

So, this is full of notes that I love. Some of my favorite blends have red musk in them, others have ambergris, so the two together were sure to be a win. Indeed they are.

For some reason I keep feeling like Snake Charmer and Coyote had a baby and moved to a cottage by the sea.

This has the faintest hint of salt, is warm and refreshing reminding me of the sea air without any ozone or "aquatics" that I dislike so much. There's the warmth of the red musk, and the leather and coconut I think give it that "skin musk" that makes me think of Buck Moon and Coyote.

This is extraordinarily blended, without any note at the foreground.

I'm really blown away. It makes me feel sexy but is light enough to wear to work. It's sweet and warm, but refreshing at the same time. It's so many things.

I'm really happy I bought two bottles right off the bat. I may try to hunt some more down.

I love this, and I love Beth & Ted. If this perfume is any indication, I forsee many years of smooth sailing ahead for them.

Congratulations!

N.

What I get from Pirate Moon is coconut palm over red musk with a hint of lime. It's nice but not something I'll wear often.

Smells like . . .

Trick #1. :D

Seriously, I put this on, and it smells just like what I loved about Trick #1 when I first put it on. The notes in that, if you missed it, were "Volcanic red musk, vanillaean, Queen Elizabeth root, red ginger, skin musk, black leather, honeycomb, honeysuckle, magnolia, and patchouli." Compared to "Red musk, ambergris, coconut palm, red sandalwood, balsam, date, warm leather, tobacco, ebony, lingum vitae wood, pandanus grass, an' a touch o' lime" . . . There aren't so many notes in common; perhaps it's the red musk/leather combination that makes this such a dead ringer on me.

Trick #1, as it got older, kept getting stronger and stronger in the red musk department, and ultimately I ended up swapping it away. Here's hoping that Pirate Moon stays as darkly sexy and balanced as it is right now. :P

Pirate Moon - Oh wow, this is lovely! I positively adore ambergris scents, and this is most definitely predominantly ambergris and date on me. Behind the ambergris is the lovely fresh scent of palm, wood, tobacco, and balsam. It's warm and sweet and musky and woody and positively amazing. It's really strong when I first apply it, but it lightens up as it dries down. It doesn't morph much at all. It's definitely a gender-neutral scent. I wish I were better at describing this one because it's so incredibly beautiful and elegant. I am completely in love with it.

I get the same cologne-y smell from this that I get from most aquactic blends, and I love it! I can reallty smell the extra kick of lime, and that's what makes this scent really evocative for me.

Pirate Moon, yay!

In the bottle - Red musk dominates

Wet - Same musk but it's being sweetened by something (date?) and I swear there's a familiar floral note too.

Wearing - This is so beautifully crafted. I spent a long time with my nose glued to my wrist trying to decipher the various notes morphing - at times it's lime that springs up, or leather, or (on my second more liberal application) a definite grass note. As it wears I can just find a slight metallic edge which may be my nose and its interpretation of an aquatic. On the whole, this is very different but very lovely :P

This blend is really polished and smooth. I definitely detect red musk first and foremost, but it is so well blended that it is not overwhelming. In fact, I think this is one of the most well blended scents that I have smelled in a long time. It gives me the impression of a sleek, shiny, gleaming and polished ship on the high seas. This is a great pirate scent, and goes really well with its companion, The Phoenix (which is a more salty, oceanic take on the pirate theme). Much, much love for this one. :P

Cologny to my nose. I didn't really get much of the red musk (that dominates midnight kiss, smut and others). I can smell the leather too a bit. It's close to the skin. And my body chemistry turns it into pencil shavings in about a half hour.

:P

In the bottle: Light and woody at first, with something a little flowery and sweet in the afterscent. It's hard to place individual scents.

On the wrist: On the wrist it becomes a lot more flowery. Which is impressive, since there aren't any flowers in it. It's not particularly sweet, and the afterscent is dry, musky wood. Like Scorpio, it doesn't have a very strong throw; but what there is appears to have a hint of date in it.

One hour later: It's faint and generically perfumey. I'm not entirely sure how that happened. Very disappointing :P

Both in the bottle and on my skin, it's very cologny. I think I would like this better on a man than on myself. Once again, it's an attack of the aquatics that don't work well with me. All I get is aquatics, possibly a bit of the tobacco and that's all. I was hoping for more red musk.

I'm still 50/50 though - it might mix well with something which I have yet to try.