Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
savage_rose

Hairy Toad Lily

Spotty, hairy, purple, sweet!

In the imp: SWEET! No really...so sweet it's off the glycemic index. Don't take an up close whiff of this one.

Wet: Moonflower-lily honey, with some kind of green note. Green like shoots growing out of the earth. Really nice.

Dry: It's starting to smell like One to Tie, Two to Win, delicate and beautiful...under an incredibly loud, crazy smelling floral explosion that smells like the odor equivalent of spontaneous combustion. This scent is insane (but what did I expect)!

After 5 minutes: It appears that the crazy flower has won out. I'm going to have to try this again some other time, using less of it. A little goes a very long way. But I underneath the craziness, it's a very interesting floral, and I think I might even like it... :P.

Hairy Toad Lily is indeed sweet! On me, though, it is more pink-apple sweet than purply-sweet. It's a lovely lily with an almost rosy crispness to it, and a fruity top note (which my nose is reading as apple, but it may be something else). Like savage_rose, I get a honey note as well (which makes me happy... I have been loving Beth's honeyed florals lately). It dries down to a soft, slightly powdery but still sweet, floral on me, and has decent longetivity. It is a lovely and fun blend... florals aren't usually my very favorite blends, but I could see reaching for this fairly often!

Edited by bibliophile

Hairy Toad Lily – This scent is slightly bitter and very bright and green. I smell both rose and apple and maybe even a hint of cucumber. It’s definitely not a typical floral scent on me – it’s more the scent of a big green plant or weed. It’s nice, but not really for me.

I had to have this one, absolutely could not resist it with a name like that! :D

In the imp it was super-sweet and flowery. On my skin wet, it smelled just like it did in the bottle.

On drydown, it turned green and bitter. Why oh why? I wish that I could figure out what this note is, that most people seem to perceive as sweet, that turns so bitter and sharp on me. I've run across it in a couple of other BPALs but can't pin it down to one ingredient.

Several hours later, it's morphed a little, into a slightly flowery, slightly soapy, bitter-green-with-a-hint-of-sweet. It never seems to fail- the scents with names that make me want to love them don't work for me. :P

HAIRY TOAD LILY

In Bottle: Fruity

On Skin: With a description like that, who wouldn’t try this?!?! It starts very sweet, and very wet, like biting into a very juicy fruit. It is strong, a little dab will do ya. As it develops, the sweetness becomes more tart and while it is still fruity, it’s like a fruit that is not yet ripe. I’m thinking kiwi… yes kiwi exactly. I can even taste it! You know that tart yet slightly sweet yumminess of kiwi? Kiwi and a floral… maybe rose that is adding to the sourness. It’s quite pretty and a unique scent for sure. I’ll hold onto the imp. Very strong throw and long wearlength.

straight sniff from imp is wicked green!

once applied this is amazingly like fresh cut green grass :P

how odd that this is just like a single note of green grass and remains

that way throughout...i really wanted to smell something purple and

sweet but i get none of it...

This is sweet and sharp--more herbal to me than floral, and I don't really get purple as a color so much as a deep pale green (if that makes sense). However, right after the initial wet stage this one becomes a bit spicy--sort of what I was expecting from Voodoo Lily--with the hint of aquatic that supremegoddessofall and others have mentioned. The scent of wet and freshly cut flowers and grass is still dominant and this does not really smell like a lot of the other lily blends that I have tried. It becomes more and more floral on the drydown and gets very heady on me after about 10-15 minutes. This actually reminds me of a stronger version of Asphodel.

At first this one is super sweet lily with fresh cut green grass- absolutely lovely and like walking about in a springtime garden. Sadly, as this dries, it turns very quickly into laundry detergent. I have no idea what note is doing this since lilies and grass usually behave :P Sadly, this imp will be off to a better home.

This one is definitely sweet, especially wet. I get a large bloom of somewhat rosey lilies. It's got a bit of a fresh edge, which makes me think cucumber.

Strong throw and wear. Pretty, and not what I was expecting at all.

I'm really sensitive to floral scents. A lot of them give me headaches if they're a bit too perfumey/musky or just too strong.

When I wear Hairy Toad Lily, it is enough to give me a headache for the first hour or so, but I still really like the scent. It starts off a bit too sharp/perfumey and smelling like some sort of weed - astringent, herbal, and green. Weeds and a musky floral perfoom.

After about 45 minutes, this really calms down into something lovely though. I can still pick out hints of greenery, but it has sweetened up a lot. It has a soft, creamy quality to it. Creamy lilies coated in purple sugar, perhaps.

I really love the drydown of Hairy Toad Lily, but I don't think that I could stand to wait through the first hour every time I want to smell the drydown.

Hmmm. I don't know about this one. I usually like lily scents, but this one smells kind of murky to me for some reason. I don't think it smells as sweet on me as it smelled on other reviewers. It sort of smells like lilies growing next to a swamp.

I'm willing to bet my skin chemistry problems are messing this one up because it doesn't smell fresh or sweet to me. More like... um... fuzzy? Not fuzzy like mold, or fuzzy like velvet, but fuzzy like... hmmm. I'm not sure. Fuzzy like dandelions when they're white. Maybe. Wow, I'm really having a hard time describing this.

But yeah, there's definitely something about this that reminds me of a weed-like scent, and so far I have never cared for those. So I'm afraid this one is not a winner for me.

First sniff, Bitter, green and sweet – this smells like a light green color of a scent. The lily is definite, yet there’s greenness there too, like the flower and the stalk, all represented in this imp.

This reminds me strongly of Strength, which is all lily and amber, but this is without the amber. Or of One to Tie, Two to Win. When I first tried that one, I thought it was dandelions, but now I’m thinking that maybe it’s a scent of lilies.

As it wears, there’s hints of red apple, and rose too, but it’s the greenness of Rose Red rather than the lush rose of Peacock Queen. The dandelion/lily scent is being overtaken by the apple and rose and it’s turning more floral than the green bitterness that I associate with lily and just adore. But still, this scent screams freshness.

It’s been on a couple hours now, and is fairly faint. Sniffing closely, it smells like light bright flowers. It’s hard to go beyond that.

In sum, I really liked the start of this scent. It made me think that I had maybe found a replacement for my beloved Strength. The middle notes are also quite nice and I do like that stage too. The rose and apple work really nicely with the weedy lily dandelion scent. The ending I’m not blown away with but all in all, I like this scent a lot. I'm not sure if I'll get a bottle but I'm tempted.

Light sweet grass merging with flower scent on the wind--on application. Perfect for spring, I thought to myself. But as an hour or so passed, I smelled that dead flower stench creeping softly and stealthily beneath. I usually identify this particular smell with the lab's Ylang-Ylang, which never works on me. :P

It is just the slightest slightest bit of sourness...but I think it may prove to be too much.

Wet this is very sweet and bright, fruity and floral. When first on this is a strong and sweet floral. It's a familiar floral- almost like that Jean Nate perfume they sell at the drugstore. After several minutes this softens and becomes soapy. After about an hour this is very soft and faint. On the drydown this has an almost grape scent to it. This is nice but not one that I'll need more of.

hm in the imp this smells like florals + wine or grapes to me. indeed, it smells very purple. once on my skin it's fairly sweet, but smells like a grapey-white floral to me. i guess that's the lily? after awhile it fades to a powdery-lily. nice but not really all that remarkable with my skin chemistry, so i think i will swap this.

In the imp and wet on my skin, Hairy Toad Lily is a sweet, purple scent. Like grapes, but not juicy. Drying, a green note starts to show. Dry, the purple and green notes are even. This is very pretty, and something I'd recommend to people who don't usually like florals.

This is almost overwhelmingly strong and sweet, especially when wet. Some floral scents seem to make me a bit nauseous and this is sadly one of them. :P It does calm down a bit when it dries but still has a very sickly sweet quality to it.

Lasts on my skin for ages - I tried on a small amount from the imp wand and soon after went to wash my hair, then washed my hands twice and the scent was still on my skin after all that! So this is good news if you like the scent although for me it wasn't such a good thing...

I love this! I love it so much, that after being frimped Hairy Toad Lily, I ordered a bottle a week later. I even brought it to work so my co-workers could oogle it.

This is a sweet, slippery, bright, silly lily. Juicy and loud. Not headachey or brazen and hi-pitched, like some lilies. It's a little bit green on my skin, but otherwise it's the same in the bottle and applied. As exotic as it is, it smells so real. As people have said before me, it is REALLY strong; one of few oils I own that I could go to sleep wearing and still smell the next morning. This is definitely a spring staple, and maybe my favorite lily scent!

In the imp and wet on skin: Lily lily lily- if I stuck my face into a bunch of lilies, I wouldn't get half as much lily as I do with this.

Dry: It's gotten weirdly sweet but with a bit of a bite. And it's going a bit powdery. Not bad. Not bad at all.

In the bottle: Sweet, sharp, green lilies. Fresh, bracing.

Wet: Fruit. Clean, almost soapy. Still very green and a bit sharp. Strong!

Dry: The fresher notes have faded, making this seem sweeter. It's also headier, and turning quite powdery.

Summary: Sharp, sweet, powdery lilies. Amazingly strong throw and good lasting power.

I wish I could pin down the fruity note! It's an intriguing blend but too sharp and powdery on me.

Edited by fairnymph

Wet, this smells yellow, or green to me, not purple. Drydown, there is a hint of semen, but that fades quickly LOL This is a light floral with a deep undertone. As time passes, it becomes lighter and sweeter, but not nauseating the way many other florals are. Quite agreeable and pleasant for a floral scent.

Hours later, it swirls back into potency, with a fantastic scent (somewhat like a combo of frankincense and amber), but it's a slow evolve.

This smells so good! Like sugared flower petals. It definitely gives off a "purple" vibe. It might be my favorite BPAL floral.

Yes-purple and sweet...but there's also a sharp note in there-some kind of floral that I think might turn funny on my skin...we shall see...

On my skin this gets less and less purple, more and more green. Eh, I can tell this isn't going to be for me. I haven't had much luck with lily scents lately.

Dries into a generic "green" type scent and fades really fast. Totally meh.

Edited by Suu4LC

In The Bottle

Sweet and deep, with some green notes in there

On Application

I really get apple (maybe unripe apples) with some sweet florals. Unusual

Dry Down

Pretty much as above. There is a real green sappiness to this scent which balances out the white florals. The apple is till discernable 5 minutes into the drydown. From there it goes all sweet and powdery which is actually quite nice but so not me.

Rating (0-5)