Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Nadirah

Rose Recommendations - which blend is for me?

So, I've been craving rose scents for a while now (colour me surprised, I usually don't want to smell like roses!) But nearly none of the rose scents I've tried so far has been working for me. I think what I want is a fresh red/dark pink rose with a little "oompf" to round it out.

I've tried:

Zombi - soapy and dried roses

Ouija - had rose that I enjoyed, but the rest of the notes didn't do too much for me.

La Mort - Very much enjoyed the rose & pom combo when sniffed in the bottle, on my skin it was sadly old potpurri.

The White Witch - Darn violets

Love - Lovely sugary rose on me, an absolute fave! But sometimes a little too sweet for the occasion.

Pink Lace - Fermented strawberry and vanilla mush

Last Evening of The Year - For a short while I got exactly what I wanted, Bright pink rose with icy air! And then...white soap, no more rose.

Pink Snowballs - Loved the creamy aspect of this, but the rose was soapy.

Am I out of luck? Is it my skin that just really dislike bpal's roses? Or is it out there... My own special rose!

Have you tried any "true" roses, like The Rose (GC), or Rose Red, or Peacock Queen?

I would say Seance but it's DCed.

I've been on the hunt for Peacock Queen, but I've yet to snag myself some. Since I've been afraid for rose "by itself" it never occurred to me to try those so, none of that has been tried. Seance sounds lovely based on the notes, too bad it's Dced!

Edited by Missy_killer

What about rose water... I really love the note of it in Venus Libitina. It's a sweet watery but lovely rose. :wub:

Perhaps Persephone? Mostly rose with a little pom. Seems cool and pink to me. Not soapy or sharp.

Chuparosa seems like a sweet pink rose to me too.

Other roses to try, it seems you are looking for soft, pink and cool, Dawn Maiden, Seraphim, La Belle au Bois Dormant, The Reeper and the Flowers, Victoria.

Oooh, such lovely recommendations!

Venus Libitina has cherries unfortunately, which has a tendency to smell god awful and amp on me :cry2:

I NEED to track down Persephone!! And it's GC? Yes, soft and cool probably sums up what I want. I actually think I have an imp of Reaper and the flowers somewhere..It's time to dig it up and see how that works on me.

I'd second Persephone. If it were a color, it would be a gentle translucent pink. I love Snooty Rose, which has plum, bergamot, and oude. I find it the the most Arabian-style rose scent in the GC and reminds me of Rasasi's Attar al Oude or Swiss Arabian's Noora.

Edited by rinster

Any recommendations for fizzy or sweet rose blends, anything like Lush's Rose Jam or Cocoa Pink's Lychee Rose Macaroons?

Any recommendations for fizzy or sweet rose blends, anything like Lush's Rose Jam or Cocoa Pink's Lychee Rose Macaroons?

For something close to Lush's Rose Jam you might want to try La Mort (Mon ironie depasse...) I know Missy upthread said it smelled like potpourri on her skin, but it was really beautiful to me, and I usually don't do rose. It's very thick, sweet and sticky. The velvety rose note is super present but the pom is just as in your face with lots of succulent sweetness. It's realistic rather than cloying and does give me something of a foody vibe like Rose Jam did. Very womanly and sexy. I would say it's a bit darker and stronger overall, but still has that lip-licking vibe.

For fizzy, try Roses, Pearls, and Diamonds. The "crystalline musks" and coconut do wonders for making it brighter and more sparkly-smelling.

Edited by Balame

I love rose. Any suggestions for a current GC rose that's on the darker side? I already have Zombi and love it, but it's more earthy on me than anything.

I love rose. Any suggestions for a current GC rose that's on the darker side? I already have Zombi and love it, but it's more earthy on me than anything.

On me, Cicuta from the Vampires Don't Sleep Alone line is like dried rose bouquets surrounded by dusty velvet drapes and wax candles. Sort of. It feels very gothic to me anyway :smile:

Black Rose from Rapaccini's Garden.

Spellbound

Whip

Spellbound

Whip

I definitely second Whip! And perhaps Zombi, for a dirty rose.

Spellbound

Whip

I definitely second Whip! And perhaps Zombi, for a dirty rose.

Try Harlot as well. Sexy spicy rose. :biggrin: It's one of my faves. Spellbound went to nailpolish remover on me. Whip was too high pitched and gave me a headache. I love Zombi but I know what you mean about wanting something darker. There was a resiny rose that came out with last year's phoenixes as well, This World Where Death Reigns (myrhh and black rose). That might be appropriate as well if you can track it down.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I hadn't thought of some of those so I added them to my list. I'm determined to find the perfect rose for me!

I haven't purchased BPAL in almost 10 years...I'm kicking myself for not keeping my old spreadsheet, because I can't remember everything i tried but didn't like so sold or swapped. How foolish of me. Lol.

I got Rose Red from the 2015 Yule update with super, super high hopes, but unfortunately, I get very nearly no rose out of it at all; it's predominantly green sap on me. :c I'm now looking for a new rose scent to hitch my hopes and dreams to. I'd really like one that's close to a soliflore, but it's not important that it is one; I thought rose + dew and sap sounded dreamier than just rose, for instance (but dew + sap alone, less so).

But I'd also love to know about any lovely oils where rose is one of the main notes. Rose is a background player in so many blends it's hard to go through the rose product tag and find them, and I'm sure it's been in a lot of LE scents that I could probably still track down eventually. I'm especially craving a heady red rose, but I love all rose notes just as much.

My rosiest scents are A Young Woman Appealing to a Witch, Alice and Maiden, and I have Fresh and Blooming as a Rose ordered, but I cannot, personally, have too many roses so tell me your favorites!

I recently tried Rose Cross to see if my love of rose can save my hatred of frankincense. It cannot. I also tried London which was a prim tea rose on me without the malice I was hoping for. I also tested Black Rose which makes me think heavy, dark roses are not my favorite. It seems I like my roses lighter (like Fresh and Blooming as a Rose), but not the sweet innocent or prim ones of Snow White or even London. I like my roses laced with earth and green (Rose Red, The Rose) or more somber florals (Les Fleurs de Mal, The Reaper & the Flowers). Or in the case of Delirium and Alice, set off with unusual foodie combos.

Considering how popular of a note rose is, it's fun experimenting with BPAL and figuring out what makes me tick, rose wise. I really love the experimentation of this recent discovery. :)

I got Rose Red from the 2015 Yule update with super, super high hopes, but unfortunately, I get very nearly no rose out of it at all; it's predominantly green sap on me. :c I'm now looking for a new rose scent to hitch my hopes and dreams to. I'd really like one that's close to a soliflore, but it's not important that it is one; I thought rose + dew and sap sounded dreamier than just rose, for instance (but dew + sap alone, less so).

But I'd also love to know about any lovely oils where rose is one of the main notes. Rose is a background player in so many blends it's hard to go through the rose product tag and find them, and I'm sure it's been in a lot of LE scents that I could probably still track down eventually. I'm especially craving a heady red rose, but I love all rose notes just as much.

My rosiest scents are A Young Woman Appealing to a Witch, Alice and Maiden, and I have Fresh and Blooming as a Rose ordered, but I cannot, personally, have too many roses so tell me your favorites!

Hi fellow rose lover! I have a TON of rose in my collection, and I have tried most of the GC's that are rose dominant. Here are some thoughts:

Peacock Queen - this is a blood red, voluptuous rose, velvet-petaled, at the height of bloom To me this has been the most perfect pure red rose I have tried

Two, Five & Seven - A huge bouquet of squished rose petals: Bulgarian rose, Somalian rose, Turkish rose, Damascus rose, red and white rose, tea rose, wine rose, shrub roses, rose, rose, rose……and just an itty bitty bit of green grass. I think this might be a good GC option for you - it has less stem/sap notes than The Rose.

Those are my favourite pure roses, these are my fave rose dominant blends:

Delirium - apple, rose, and lemon

Whip - black leather and damp red rose.

Cicuta - Dry, dusty rose petals, candle smoke, frankincense, and saffron.

The Waltz - champagne musk, ambergris accord, white rose, rosewood, and vanilla amber.

Autumn - Dry leaves, osmanthus, sandalwood, and rose absolute.

Katrina van Tassel - White rose and honeyed cream.(This is LE and may be hard to track down)

All Saints - monastic frankincense and myrrh, Damascus rose, Russian gardenia, cassia, and lily of the valley wafting on a chill Autumn wind. (Also LE, but easy to find)

Harvest Moon 2013 - Red roses and wild red leaves (again this is LE, but I don't think it's particularly hard to find)

Also Fresh and Blooming as a Rose - good pick on that one, it's gorgeous!

Good luck finding your own favourite rose scents! A few more GC's you could try:

Persephone - Pomegranate and rose.

Black Rose - Heavy, dark and floral: a blend of roses, with a touch of amber and musk.

London - Venerable Victorian Tea Rose… twisted, blackened and emboldened with wickedness.

Roses, Pearls and Diamonds - Red roses, dazzling crystalline musks, and pearlescent coconut-tinged orris.

Harlot - Somalian rose, Moroccan rose and Bulgar rose with a sultry dribble of cinnamon

I would recommend Whip and Two, Five, and Seven. Whip is a lovely wet red rose and black leather. Not the same feel as Rose Red but rose is a main player. I personally love Two, Five, and Seven. To me there wasn't very much green in the blend, just enough to complement all the roses. And there is a lot of them, it's playfully chaotic. Good luck on the rose hunt!

Hi fellow rose lover! I have a TON of rose in my collection, and I have tried most of the GC's that are rose dominant. Here are some thoughts:

Peacock Queen - this is a blood red, voluptuous rose, velvet-petaled, at the height of bloom To me this has been the most perfect pure red rose I have tried

Two, Five & Seven - A huge bouquet of squished rose petals: Bulgarian rose, Somalian rose, Turkish rose, Damascus rose, red and white rose, tea rose, wine rose, shrub roses, rose, rose, rose……and just an itty bitty bit of green grass. I think this might be a good GC option for you - it has less stem/sap notes than The Rose.

Those are my favourite pure roses, these are my fave rose dominant blends:

Delirium - apple, rose, and lemon

Whip - black leather and damp red rose.

Cicuta - Dry, dusty rose petals, candle smoke, frankincense, and saffron.

The Waltz - champagne musk, ambergris accord, white rose, rosewood, and vanilla amber.

Autumn - Dry leaves, osmanthus, sandalwood, and rose absolute.

Katrina van Tassel - White rose and honeyed cream.(This is LE and may be hard to track down)

All Saints - monastic frankincense and myrrh, Damascus rose, Russian gardenia, cassia, and lily of the valley wafting on a chill Autumn wind. (Also LE, but easy to find)

Harvest Moon 2013 - Red roses and wild red leaves (again this is LE, but I don't think it's particularly hard to find)

Also Fresh and Blooming as a Rose - good pick on that one, it's gorgeous!

Good luck finding your own favourite rose scents! A few more GC's you could try:

Persephone - Pomegranate and rose.

Black Rose - Heavy, dark and floral: a blend of roses, with a touch of amber and musk.

London - Venerable Victorian Tea Rose… twisted, blackened and emboldened with wickedness.

Roses, Pearls and Diamonds - Red roses, dazzling crystalline musks, and pearlescent coconut-tinged orris.

Harlot - Somalian rose, Moroccan rose and Bulgar rose with a sultry dribble of cinnamon

The nice thing about BPAL is that there are so many fine Rose scents that you will be able to find something for you--just a matter of trial. I keep thinking I'm going to identify a forumite who's a skin twin (with favorites that are really similar to mine,) but it hasn't happened yet. There are two other Rose threads that you can skim over for forum recommendations & thoughts: http://www.bpal.org/topic/14677-rose-is-a-rose/and http://www.bpal.org/topic/85392-rose-apologist-thread-aka-everybody-hates-rose-but-not-me/.

So, for what it's worth, here are the Rose scents I bought and wear:

Chuparosa (no notes listed, but it's got some rose in it.)

Harlot

Hedylogos

Peacock Queen 2015 (Yowza!)

Rakshasa

Two, Five & Seven

I'm on the fence about whether I need bottles of:

Wicked

I've tried, but not fallen in love with:

Black Rose

Dawn: Mother

Highwayman

Knave of Hearts

London

Persephone

Rose Cross

Rose Red

Seraglio

Whip

I have not found the Lab's tea rose notes to be as successful for me as others. I seem to do really well with their Damascus Rose, and Bulgarian Rose. The VERY BEST Rose I've encountered so far was a BPTP atmo spray from last year's Lupers: The Place Wherein Love Grew (Bulgarian rose, dark musk, orange blossoms, white fig, and honey.)

This is so many roses!

I had heard that Rose Red and Two, Five and Seven were very similar, and assumed that the latter would be as rose-less and all-green-sap on me as the former - is that not so then?

I actually own The Waltz, but I don't find the rose a very strong note in it, so I didn't mention it. I don't think rose amps on my skin, but amber definitely does, so that scent is mostly amber and whatever the champagne musk note is on me.

This is so many roses!

I had heard that Rose Red and Two, Five and Seven were very similar, and assumed that the latter would be as rose-less and all-green-sap on me as the former - is that not so then?

I actually own The Waltz, but I don't find the rose a very strong note in it, so I didn't mention it. I don't think rose amps on my skin, but amber definitely does, so that scent is mostly amber and whatever the champagne musk note is on me.

I would say the only thing similar about them is that they are a fresh rose, not sultry and dripping with musks and amber. To me Rose Red is a chilly pure red rose with leaves and sap. Where Two, Five, and Seven is a whirlwind of roses (though I get a lot of sweet pink rose) with just a little green to complement.

Can anyone suggest a rose scent with pepper in it? Or something similar?

Any pepper? Black pepper and pink pepper both have a very different scent. This is what I found (I haven't tried any of them, they just list notes of both rose and pepper in some form):

GC

Emma (The District) Vanilla bourbon, tea rose, jasmine, pink pepper, and patchouli.

LE

Pothôn Mêtêr Rose absolute, caramel, ripe red berries, pink pepper, Balsam of Peru, cognac, and benzoin.

From You I Have Been Absent in the Spring White lilies, vermillion roses, vanilla orchid, sweet clove, white frankincense, velvety brown oudh, cistus, styrax, aged red patchouli, and a hint of black peppercorn.

The Onnagata and the Pillow Roll White musk and Himalayan cedar with bergamot, rose absolute, white patchouli, pink peppercorn, and hay absolute.

Taurus 2016 Rose absolute and Moroccan jasmine with ylang ylang, red sandalwood, black pepper, and red patchouli.

And that was all I could find! Apparently it's not a popular combo, but maybe someone else will know of a rose/pepper combo I missed.