Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
ariosa

Oranges, Satsumas, Tangerines & Mandarins

I used to wear the Body Shop's Satsuma oil in the summer. Sometimes it would be plain Satsuma oil, and sometimes it would be a Satsuma and Japanese musk combination. I'm still relatively new to BPAL notes, though... is there anything that would be nice and bright and fresh like that, without being overbearing?

Don't have a suggestion, as I'm wating for my first impies to arrive yet... but I did want to add that Satsuma is one of my all-time favorite scents.

I'm hoping I can find a BPAL scent that smells like it, or hey, even bettah!

Hey everyone. One of my favorite scents is satsumas - the smell is just so juicy and happy and bright (especially the Body Shop shower gel...yum!). I've been searching the boards to see if some scents have satsuma-ish scents in them, and this is the list I've come up with quickly:

Bakeneko

Tweedledee (which is going in my next Imp order)

Akuma

Aizen-Myoo

While these four sound awesome, I was just wondering if any of you experienced bpalers could point me towards some scents that i might enjoy - I love any and all citrus, but I'm mainly looking for that satsuma-y smell.

Thanks in advance! :P

The most satsuma-like scent i've found is Tweedledee, so I think you're definitely on the right track with that one.

As far as other citrus - A lot of people have also noted lots of citrus in Fire Pig (although to me it was mostly a strong lychee, which didn't really work for me). Phobos is all lemon and grapefruit to me, and Shanghai, Lolita and Zephyr also have strong lemon presences. Cheshire Cat also comes to mind for grapefruit...

You might want to go to the lab site search engine here and plug in either tangerine or mandarin since they are related to satsuma. Meanwhile, I will grab my Body Shop bottle of Satsuma oil and compare it to some BPAL :P Ooooh, how fun - a new quest *claps hands in glee*

We seem to have the same taste! I love Satsuma, orange, citrusy fragrances with all my being. I burn Body Shop Satsuma oil all the time and my room always smells like it. I have the body oil, too. Arylkin told me that Moxie from the Panaceas is the truest orange smell. I'm a newbie, too. Haven't tried anything yet, but I have my whole big list of things to get, and Moxie is on there. :P

As far as other citrus - A lot of people have also noted lots of citrus in Fire Pig (although to me it was mostly a strong lychee, which didn't really work for me). Phobos is all lemon and grapefruit to me, and Shanghai, Lolita and Zephyr also have strong lemon presences. Cheshire Cat also comes to mind for grapefruit...

I ordered imps of Lolita and Cheshire Cat already, but I'll definitely look into the others. Thanks! :D

You might want to go to the lab site search engine here and plug in either tangerine or mandarin since they are related to satsuma. Meanwhile, I will grab my Body Shop bottle of Satsuma oil and compare it to some BPAL :P Ooooh, how fun - a new quest *claps hands in glee*

The search engine didn't turn up any results for satsuma, but I didn't even think to try the other two, lol. Thanks for the help! :)

We seem to have the same taste! I love Satsuma, orange, citrusy fragrances with all my being. I burn Body Shop Satsuma oil all the time and my room always smells like it. I have the body oil, too. Arylkin told me that Moxie from the Panaceas is the truest orange smell. I'm a newbie, too. Haven't tried anything yet, but I have my whole big list of things to get, and Moxie is on there. :D

Isn't the Body Shop Satsuma just amazing? I've put Moxie on my list of scents to read about and possibly order an imp of. Thanks! ;)

Isn't the Body Shop Satsuma just amazing? I've put Moxie on my list of scents to read about and possibly order an imp of. Thanks! :D

Much Satsuma love. :P Now I want to go buy some shower gel, haha. The only thing with Moxie is that you have to either buy the big bottle for $25.50 or the whole set of Panaceas for $42.00. Or find someone who is willing to swap or sell the Moxie imp. I think I'm going to try to find someone to swap with or buy Moxie from, or else I'll just buy the bigger bottle. I think I'll probably like it, and if not I will either give it as a gift or give it up for swapping/selling. :D

I love satsuma from the Body Shop too. It is the only one that my boyfriend can actively recognize and that he loves too. My supply is dwindling however which makes me go like this :P.

I thought it was time to bump this thread in order to sing the praises of Golden Wave. It's a fizzy tangerine tropical cocktail with a nice kick from the gin and tonic that keeps it from being too sweet. I love love love how intense the tangerine is in it.

Lover's Parodies of Sumo Holds also starts out with a fantastic burst of juicy tangerine. Sadly, the rest of the notes quickly overpowered the citrus. Golden Wave, though, it takes that tangerine note and runs with it all day long. I'm so glad I've got a bottle of it to see me through the summer.

Are there any other good new tangerine blends out there?

Kuang Shi is very orange-y on my skin. It reminds me a little of Satsuma from the Body Shop, but it's the only orange one I've tried so far.

Baobhan Sith is by far my favorite citrus-fruit BPAL. OMG. hehe.

I never thought I'd love a blend with any kind of orange in it, but now I like three!

Velvet Panther and Velvet Tiger are both rocking my socks off. I think it helps that the orange scents are blended with darker, more sinister things like cinnamon, anise & vetiver.

And The Piper at the Gates of Dawn, while terrible on my skin, seems to work fine once it's mixed with unscented lotion. It's a lovely pine and orange scent.

Looking for something sweet with tangerine and/or orange for spring. Like a sweet, orangey, misty, beach sunrise kind of scent. These are close:

Nyarlathotep (I love this but I want lighter and a little sweeter)

Sunrise With Sea-Monsters (right vibe, not enough orange for what I want)

Sudha Segara....might work, I haven't tried it in a long time, but again I want more orange

I'm eyeing the Atomic Tiki Lounge since they are being discontinued soon. I'd especially like to try Golden Wave and Polynesion Pop. I'm also looking at Tweedledee. I'd prefer to fine ONE scent that works for what I'm looking for!

My favorite tangerine is Lilith vs. the Giant Crab: tangerine cream, benzoin, white sandalwood, white pear, tonka, and ambergris accord.

I also have high hopes for Biwa: tangerine, black currant, white musk, honey, and tagetes.

Can't think of any GCs, though, sorry!

Edited by chaismolokom

I think you may find your one scent in Aizen-Myoo. Yuzu, kaki (persimmon), and mikan (mandarin orange) with cherry blossom and black tea.

Kuang Shi was all buoyant mango/mandarin on me. Mandarin orange, white musk, mango, and white sandalwood.

And if you're up to searching for an uncommon LE: Tanuki is a similar, purely light-fruit blend. Bamboo reed, plum blossom, persimmon, magnolia, black pine, sweet osmanthus, flowering cherry, mandarin orange, wisteria, and yuzu.

Other LEs that may work out too are Copper Phoenix and Summer's Last Will and Testament.

Looking for something sweet with tangerine and/or orange for spring. Like a sweet, orangey, misty, beach sunrise kind of scent. These are close:

Nyarlathotep (I love this but I want lighter and a little sweeter)

Sunrise With Sea-Monsters (right vibe, not enough orange for what I want)

Sudha Segara....might work, I haven't tried it in a long time, but again I want more orange

I'm eyeing the Atomic Tiki Lounge since they are being discontinued soon. I'd especially like to try Golden Wave and Polynesion Pop. I'm also looking at Tweedledee. I'd prefer to fine ONE scent that works for what I'm looking for!

I'd definitely recommend giving Tweedledee and Polynesian Pop a try, and second the recs for Kuang Shi and Lilith vs the Giant Crab. You might also try to find Thoos (Lupercalia LE with notes of 'tangerine, cypress, and white musk). I don't get orange at all from Sudha Segara.

My favorite tangerine is Lilith vs. the Giant Crab: tangerine cream, benzoin, white sandalwood, white pear, tonka, and ambergris accord.

I also have high hopes for Biwa: tangerine, black currant, white musk, honey, and tagetes.

Can't think of any GCs, though, sorry!

Hmmm, Biwa was kind of on my radar but in the end, I decided to skip most of the Lupers, because that particular update never works really well for me! Maybe I'll regret that decision.....

I think you may find your one scent in Aizen-Myoo. Yuzu, kaki (persimmon), and mikan (mandarin orange) with cherry blossom and black tea.

Kuang Shi was all buoyant mango/mandarin on me. Mandarin orange, white musk, mango, and white sandalwood.

And if you're up to searching for an uncommon LE: Tanuki is a similar, purely light-fruit blend. Bamboo reed, plum blossom, persimmon, magnolia, black pine, sweet osmanthus, flowering cherry, mandarin orange, wisteria, and yuzu.

Other LEs that may work out too are Copper Phoenix and Summer's Last Will and Testament.

Thanks for the suggestions! I could have sworn I had an imp of Aizen-Myoo around here somewhere, but I can't find it. Maybe I'll tack it on to my next order. As for those others, seeing them listed here makes me want to try them, it's funny how these things don't stand out to me at the time that I first see them. Tanuki sounds really pretty but I can't even remember when it was released. I guess being a guy I tend to focus more on the dudely scents (but not always). I'll have to add that to my to-try list! I like Copper Phoenix but it's more rosey amber on me in the end.

I'd definitely recommend giving Tweedledee and Polynesian Pop a try, and second the recs for Kuang Shi and Lilith vs the Giant Crab. You might also try to find Thoos (Lupercalia LE with notes of 'tangerine, cypress, and white musk). I don't get orange at all from Sudha Segara.

I think it's settled, I probably will get a hold of Polynesian Pop before they go away! And that was kind of a mistake for me to put Sudha Segara in the post.....you are right, it's not orangey or citrus. But it's kind of that soft, pretty vibe that I'm after, so I mentioned that one because it stands out in my memory.

I like both Kuang Shi and Thoos, but they both do something in the dry-down that veers away from the orange and more into the musk and woods. I know that orange and citrus notes are notorious for not sticking around, so this might be a long shot anyway. But I think Polynesian Pop has a good chance of working for me!

Thanks so much for the suggestions.

And Moxie, from the Panacea blends. No notes are listed, so it doesn't show up in searches, but it's my all-time favorite orange blend. Juicy and true, without being cloying. :)

Edited by Wench457

And Moxie, from the Panacea blends. No notes are listed, so it doesn't show up in searches, but it's my all-time favorite orange blend. Juicy and true, without being cloying. :)

So, not only would it smell good, but be useful as well! Win-win! : ) I will have to track some down. I keep thinking I might actually have a decant of this hiding somewhere in my collection.

Necrobumping this topic...Those who love orange, definitely try Coquelicot Snow: Snowballs of poppy-red musk, tangerine, blood orange, and mimosa blossom. This is the orange-est perfume I've worn in a long time (since maybe Orange itself?), and it's lovely.

Thanks for that LiberAmoris, that's going right on The List. I had it there but then was like ??? knowing it's orange gets it a top slot.

I love the lab's orangey notes, like in Vampire Bride, and Ruddy Daggerwing.

Edited by stellamaris

The Phoenix, Having Burst Her Shell has really pretty orange in it. At the moment orange and tangerine are the strongest notes on me, though I do tend to amp fruits.

Edited by Myria Jean

Gobo from the Fraggles: Tangerine, lemon peel, sugared pink grapefruit, and vanilla cream.

So yummy!

Bakeneko! I probably should not even mention it since it is incredibly difficult to find but the wet stage is very tangerine for me.

Sign in to follow this