Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Voleuse

Door 13

No description available.

On first sniff, this is all ozone, but with a softer metallic edge than usual. As it dries, the metallic edge mellows even further. It never loses the ozone touch, but it does take on a sweeter aspect, like a breeze wafting through a far-off lemon orchard.

This disappears quickly on me, leaving just a trace of ozone behind.

Since my review is early in the thread I'll preface my summary by saying that whenever I am either taken by the concept of a scent or it triggers my own emotional response, I end up being unable to really distinguish otherwise identifiable notes. When that happens I still fumble around at trying to identify the notes but in the end I give picture to my overall scent impressions rather than the ingredients.

Door 13 brings to mind the sharp experience of coming into contact with cold gray metal, the kind that is so cold that it gives you a jolt until you adjust to the temperature. The metal is smooth but has a weighty aura to it. It envelops you. This is chilly and ethereal and... dare I say it... almost connects a scent to what it is like to have gooseflesh. Can there be a scent for it? If Beth is involved, yes.

On top of this chilling metallic quality, my skin spreads this scent into something that is also creamy and sweet, almost like a skin musk. Very gentle aquatic/ozone notes enter in to add a ghostly aspect to this. I get the barest hint of almost-mint, much like the subtle mint that sometimes comes to play in BPAL's snow scents.

I get a higher bright note that mingles with everything and makes me think floral and/or fruit. It is driving me up the wall that I can't pinpoint this because it is so very familiar. I am sure I might have to come back to edit in the note once I identify it.

This is a bone-chilling, frigid scent that is long wearing but subtle and very, very beautiful. I give this 5 out of 5.

It's ozone. The essence of air with a faintly metallic tang.

It's light and breezy but yet very much there.

This smells almost fruity in the bottle. I could swear there was lemon in here if I based it solely on how it smells from the bottle. But once it touches my skin I don't have anymore fruit associations. Instead this has an atmospheric quality--literally like being surrounded by air. It feels extremely weightless.

I drove to Lake Tahoe with my friends a few years ago in the beginning of winter. The air was very cold but there was no snow yet. There was an utterly still, sharp quality to the air around me....from the season, from the clean, natural environment. It was peaceful and ultimately a really positive memory for me. Door 13 reminds me of how I felt at that time. The cold, clean, airy quality is how this scent smells on my skin. Pure, sharp, clean, cold, but without any hint of snow. The sharpness is without any metallic tinge, which in itself is so unique.

The clean scent here is so prominent that I want to say there is linen here, and possibly aloe. In it's later stages it has a vaguely similar scent as White Rabbit, which is where I get the linen from. It's softer as it dries and still very light. But the overall scent is very much like the wet stage. There doesn't seem to be a lot of morphing.

I'm going to have to savor my bottle so I can have it for a long time and use it when I need a jolt of good memories. This is a remarkable scent and apart from the memory inducing quality it's a beautiful fragrance.

Many thanks to SueDonym for my bottle! :P

Door 13 REALLY reminds me of "City in the Sea" very much so. I have both on and their close cousins. Door 13 being a bit more "metallic" or wet rock smelling. On my skin, this scent is fresh, ozone, with subtle hints of citrus. Very unisex and in my mind like the European version of citrusy Eau de Toilette's that I've tried in France and Italy. Both my GF and I like this scent very much and will both be dipping into this bottle. :D

Thanks to the wonderful SueDonym for letting me try this!

I am in love with this scent. Why is it the impossible ones that we fall in love with? ...sigh...

When I first put this on it was very humid smelling with a very light lemony scent behind it. After it dries there is a light ozone and a delicate wet stone smell.

I was a little worried about people saying "metallic", but I don't get anything sharp from this. It is just a light, grounding, lovely scent. ...if only I had more of it... :P

Door 13 - When I first apply this I smell lemon, but that quickly morphs into an ozone scent, similar to the ozone in Thunderbird. The ozone and metallic scent initially remind me of Neo-Tokyo (without the florals), but within a couple of minutes, the metallic scent reminds me more of the stone/rock scent I smell in Shanghai Tunnel. It's almost like a non-aquatic Shanghai Tunnel meets a non-floral Neo-Tokyo meets Thunderbird. It's quite ethereal and subtle on my skin, but doesn't fade as quickly as I initially expected. It's lovely -- cold, breezy, and an absolutely perfect "cooling" scent on a hot, summer day.

Edited by edenssixthday

Picked this one up at Bats day with Queens Salon. Thanks again to the happy lab workers who let us pick through all the lovely bottles even though they were in a hurry to pack up all around us to get to DL for fun. I made it just in time!!

In the bottle i get a tangy but sweet and floral zing through my nose.

Wet is kinda like a clean floral scent. Am I crazy to say that even though it kind of reminds me of an air freshener, it actually smells great on my arm? Its Citrus but sweet and cold but not like a menthol cold, its what cold would smell like if it had a smell. Hard to pick out the particulars. but I do smell citrus and clean.

It's very strong with the clean smell. Maybe I should bathe my husband in this :P

Verdict. Love it!!! It's a powerful clean sweet smelling citrusy good scent. :D

Many thanks to Gypsy Rose Red for giving folks the opportunity to test the Bat's Day scents!

Door 13 took me by surprise! Today I was wearing Crow Moon in my scent locket and when I opened the vial of this scent, it reminded me...overwhelmingly so...of Crow Moon, not fresh from the bottle, but after it has marinated for a good 15 hours in a silver locket on a hot day. :D This is not a bad thing at all.

It has a COLD blast...a dark fruitiness and a definite metallic tang. I like those qualities in a scent.

However the patch of skin where I sampled this scent, sucked up the scent quickly and after about 1/2 hour it was barely detectable. :P It was lovely while it lasted though!

In the imp: sharp metallic tangy ozone. Wow, that's a bright, airy scent.

On me, wet: mm, river-wetted rocks, smooth and cold, with a bright breeze over the top. Very clean and very ozoney.

On me, dry: ozone and wet rock. Sitting by a stream in the shade on a summer's day, with washing drying on a line nearby.

Verdict: this is rather lovely, but I like ozone scents. I never wear them, though, so I'll probably trade it so someone else gets a chance to try it.

again, thanks to gypsyrosered for this amazing opportunity for being able to review...

you rule kiddo!!

straight sniff from imp is quite d00dish...cold...aquatic...slight twang of fruit...

and yes, once applied the fruit comes forefront with the ocean...

the sillage is heavy and with the right chemistry this could be a complete winner :P

Wet, Door 13 is cold ozone with a sharp metallic edge. Poster above comparing it to cold grey metal is dead on.

It sweetens slightly as dries though. Almost fruity, yet retaining that men's cologne freshness.

It's quite chilling and airily ethereal.

Thank you Lunakitten! :P

This scent is such a chilling, clean ozone type of smell with an underlying sweetness that borders on fruity. This is not a typical aquatic type of smell at all, and though it has a cologne kind of feel, it is not like any cologne I have ever smelled before. This is an incredible unisex blend, and does have a very metallic feel to it. It has a wet rock tone underlying it all, that actually gives a very nice, powerful base feel to the blend. Like a cave with a stream running through and a fresh breeze with something sweet carrying on it. Not musty at all, but clean and sharp.

This one is certainly a winner, though a most unusual blend.

Thank you Voleuse!

Door 13 is very ozoney on me - almost reminiscent of a man's cologne that I can't quite place. In the imp it's much more oceany, with a hint of citrus. Sadly it doesn't smell like that once it hits my skin (stupid skin). Still, I'm very glad I got to try it out :P

you know, the reviews that i've red made this sound really unappealing ... so let me just say that i ADORE this scent, it's amazing. It smells a bit like Orpheus to me, but a bit more aquatic and with a slight buffer of either citrus or maybe melon. But honestly, i can't describe how incredebly lovely it is on me ... it is perfection.

In the bottle, Door 13 is citrus, ozone, and saltwater. It's fresh, very salty, and a little sweet. It's CK One, but much, much better. On my skin, I don't get much citrus, which is a bit of a disappointment to me. It's all salty rocks and ozone, with a blast of cool fresh air. It's very clean, but there's a hint of creaminess here too that keeps it from being sharp, even though it definitely has a metallic edge. I really like the ozone - it's almost identical to the ozone note in Neo-Tokyo that I love so much. Door 13 is a winner, even though I wish the sweet citrus notes were more prominent on me.

Try it if you like: aquatics, citrus, ozone, CK One, clean unisex scents, the ocean, cool scents, and salty rocks :P

door13ss.jpg

I've tended to use someone else's icon when reviewing a blend I don't plan to own, but I couldn't seem to find one for Door 13, so I made one. I was lucky enough to take part in GypsyRoseRed's Bats' Day sniffing circle so I could see for myself what I was missing, and thus know if I wanted to mount an all-out search for these rares, or not.

Not.

This blend is not a friend of my body chemistry, having both too much ozone and too much lemon for my taste and both of which amp up on me uncomfortably. In fact, within 10 minutes of applying a small amount of this oil for testing purposes, I had to wash it off as it gave me a headache. I've found that most blends with a stated ozone note will do that to me, and strangely enough, so do strong lightning storms. Lemon amps up to where it's strongly reminiscent of Lemon Pledge, which is not unpleasant but not what one would wish to smell like.

So, this is one rare I will happily allow others to own. Yay!

UPDATE: When first sniffed (decant circle), I didn’t like this one, as noted in my initial review. But I had a chance to snag a bottle from the Lab via its eBay auctions at a great price, and couldn’t resist. Now I like it. Who knew?

Edited by stellans

Got this in a sniffy circle - :P

Uhm, CK1? Is that you? I keep thinking of the man in the office that douses himself in CK1 - yuck! I admit, I owned the scent, but after everyone was wearing it, it got old real fast!

It's definitely citrus and ozone - very much a men's cologne scent. The dry down is more tolerable, less CK1, but still not a scent I would actively search for... My wallet is screaming for joy FYI :D

In the bottle this has a sharp metallic feel with a twang of citrus (the citrus being lemon to my nose but barely detectable in the bottle).

On me within the first 10 minutes this is smooth and a little 'cold'. A clean scent with a touch of ozone that the metallic edge has turned to.

Dry, it doesn't morph too much but the gentle changes are gorgeous on this one. It waffles every once in awhile and almost kicks up a powdery feel (oh, no!) but never turns powdery.

This is my pick of the 2 scents made for Bat's Day. It retains interest from bottle to drydown and having visited The Queen Mary (and the infamous Door 13 that killed a crewman mechanic named "John", in particular on Erika Frost's tour) this blend is a real time machine for me! :P

Edited by The_Witching_Hour

Cold, crisp, ozone & citrus. It's sharp and soapy on me and then dries down to soft, lemony dryer sheets. I think that this would be better on my boy, but he's favoring warmer, spicier scents as the weather gets cooler. This strikes me as an everday, not remarkable or unique sort of men's cologne. Not bad, but not really interesting me.

Door 13 smells like white musk and ozone to me. (White musk smells a bit lemony on me. Not overly so, just a hint.) It doesn't smell aquatic per se, but it has that stingy metallic scent that I sometimes get from ozone. It smells chilly but not cold -- it's nothing like the snow notes in Yule blends. Just that austere chilliness you can get from a metallic scent. But it's soft around the edges. It's not like a metal spike.

Although this isn't the sort of scent I wear, I definitely like that quality of being soft around the edges. It's very appealing.

I've tried some of the other ozone-type scents, and they're generally very hit-or-miss with me--usually miss! There's not a hint of dryer-sheet with this one, however. As mentioned earlier, it's a very soft scent, but it still has staying power, lingering for several hours after application. It reminds me a little of Lightning--maybe because that's one of the only ozone-scents I can wear! After a direct comparison, however, Lightning emerges as a stronger citrus, a sharper scent with more powerful throw. Lightning is more of a bright-citrus flare, while Door 13 is more subtle and quiet, like soft purple skies and the distant muttering of thunder.

Thanks to GypsyRoseRed I got to try this!

In the imp it's sharp citrus, wet on my skin I get alot of lemon & some ozone (which always turns to dryer sheets on me), dry on my skin I get dryer sheet with a background of citrus.

Ozone just doesn't seem to work on me.

Yay for GypsyRoseRed's sniffie circle!

In the imp: fresh and clean smelling

Wet: Bed of Nails! But less sharp, and more ozone and aquatic.

Dry: Oh, this is beautiful. Something tells me this is the "Mary Anne" to Queen's Salon's "Ginger"--but despite its softness, it's no less glamorous or beautiful. I can't smell a bit of lemon, just waves of soft ocean air. It's slightly cool on me, but not the frigid chill I was expecting. This would be a wonderful every day scent, it's complex yet very, very light. I love it!

In the imp: Aquatic and ozoney

On Skin: Aquatic, ozoney, very chill. Is there perhaps a hint of mint in this?

On Drydown: Slightly softer, more lemony

After several hours: Soft, slightly lemony aquatic.

Verdict: This is pretty... but it wasn't what I expected at all. It's pretty but I don't this door and I will become close friends.