Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sarahmarie

Fairy Market

Otherworldy golden incense, blooming wind-flowers, everlasting lavender, bluebell, a faint whiff of exotic sugared candies, and fae mist upon wet green grass.

After drydown and a few hours later, does anyone else get similarities to Mme Moriarty with Fariy Market? Maybe it's just my chemistry.

Oh, now this one is really nice. It's a light, sweet floral with a hint of something green and slightly grassy in the background to round the scent out. Plus, it's light enough that even as floral-shy as I am, this really seems to work on me...and doesn't try to murder my nose. *bg*

Oh, this is beautiful! The "candied" part of the description had me worried this would be too sweet, but it's nothing of the sort.

Fairy Market starts out with a softer (but similar) herbal to that of Allison Gross. The flowers are sweeter, though, and the soft incense give it a wonderful misty and other-worldly quality. The candied fruits are very gentle, and peek through only briefly on the dry down.

What's left, when it's completely dry, is a soft misty floral with the herbal notes drifting about underneath. It's a truly gorgeous blend. :P

This is absolutely delish, at first its a sweet green grass scent wafting over my skin. Its much much sweeter than I expected, but I'm happy with that.

T'is very gentle and ethereal, and a mood changer for me.

:P

The lavender in this is very obvious at first with a very strong green note accompanying it. After a while, it fades to a beautiful fresh floral with a touch of sugary sweetness and grass notes. It’s very sweet, airy, and intoxicating!

Thanks to raspberryswirlgirl for the decant! :P

In the imp: Incensey, sweet, florals

On Skin: Otherworldly florals, sweet brush of incensey, slightly sugary

On Drydown: Pretty much the same thing.

Verdict: This is so well blended and yet there are distinct whiffs... as if you were walking through the Fairy Market. A total olfactory experience. Seriously considering a bottle of this. Love it.

ETA: Since I now have a bottle and proceeded to wear it yesterday... For me, this is an extremely ethereal and yet wearable scent. It's whimsical in that it is constantly changing - but it's not so overwhelmingly floral, or sweet, or incensey and yet manages to be a bit of all that and more. In this one, I have to say that for me, it's like sprinkling yourself with magic dust.

Another plus, is that if you're going to wear a TAL for purposes, Fairy Market works well as a perfume companion - since the herbiness of certain TALs will blend with the rest of the market smells... and if a stranger smells you, they won't be smelling just the TAL.

Edited by zankoku_zen

I was wary of this at first, mainly because of the florals, but I wanted at least one of the Stardust scents to work on me, dangit.

And boy, does this one work. The incense is the strongest note, followed closely by the sugar, and both of those work to temper the floral. It's rounded off with a faint, clean grassy scent. I sniffed my wrist all damn day when I wore this one. I've got to get a bottle. :P

In the bottle: light, green, slightly herbal, somehow crystalline. Very pretty.

On my skin: Sweet floral and still a little herbal. It's hard to describe, it smells very complex to me.

After a while: lavendar, grass and some sugar... lovely, lovely.

Verdict: it's been a while since I last fell in love with a Bpal scent like this. Need a bottle :P .

I was actually hoping for a bit more incense to balance out the sweet floral, but it's nigh indistinguishable in the blend. It's slightly creamy, and it almost smells like peaches. Reminds me of shampoo scents, actually; very neutral, sweet, nice.

ADDED 10/19/09:

I get the grasses, the flowers, and the tiniest smidge of golden incense for a few minutes as this very fresh-smelling light floral way. It smells like nice shampoo. And then it turns into ordinary shampoo, vaguely fresh-smelling and sweet. The grass is still distinct, but the rest is just a muddled generic blah.

In the imp: hmm, light, airy florals.

On me, wet: still light and airy and floral, but with a distinctly soapy tinge to it. Uh-oh.

On me, dry: very faint, but otherwise very nice - sweet and light, drifting between being sort of sap green and very airy with a breath of sugariness.

Verdict: Hmm, too light, in the end. But nice enough otherwise.

The Fairy Market is fruity, sweet, and light, like the Fae who shop and sell there. My Faerygirl adores it. Somehow, all the faery scents smell so innocent and joyful and fun on her. On me, they seem somewhat sour. It makes me sad to think that I may be too grownup for faeries (or at least their scents); however I am cheered because I can easily wear sexy grown up resins and musks and my daughter can't!

I tried this oil twice -- each time about a month from each other -- and wrote two reviews. Evidently I got basically the same thing both times:

Review #1:

Some sugar, but mostly a green grassy scent with some florals I can't identify. The floral notes seem really green to me, but I'm not sure if that's actually the floral notes or the green grass. There's a sharp herb in there too, but I'm not sure what it is. It doesn't seem like lavender, so it must be something else. When it's totally dry it loses the grassy green scent and ends up sweet. Kind of musky-sweet. Pretty. Don't like the grass stage, though.

Review #2:

I'm getting a wee bit of a sugary scent from this, but mostly grass and something that smells like a sharp herb. Not sure what that is. Glad I got to try it, but grassy scents are never ones I like. Just not my thing.

all dried and sitting there for a while, this reminds me a lot of Tresor by Lancome [...]

That's what it reminds me of, too, after it's been dry for a couple of hours! There was something so familiar about it to me, and I couldn't think of what it was. I was reading back through reviews, and I saw willowtreeling's review and thought A-HA! That's it! It has that same sweetness to it.

In the imp: Sweet floral with a hint of herbs

Wet: Delicious - lightly floral with a whisper of delicate candy-sweetness, not enough to be cloying--and lavender. Lavender. Lavender.

Drydown: All lavender. No incense, no grass, no flowers, no candied fruit. Lavender soap. :P No Fairy Market for me. sigh. Everlasting lavender indeed.

I can smell the bluebell and wet grass. Overall it’s a floral composition and I can’t really tell what the florals are. As it dries the sugared candies become evident and they are very pleasing. This smells very similar to another BPAL fragrance but I can’t place which one. I’m not sure whether to keep the imp so into the retest pile it goes.

Fairy Market was a frimp from a friend. [thanks Tazjia] I'd never payed attention to any of the Stardust scents.

Smelling it in the vial I got sweet flowers. Started testing it about 4pm and initially I smelled dirt and green weeds. So I'm thinking bleh. And where are the flowers and sugar? Well, after about 1-2 hours the flowers and sugar emerged over everything! No more dirt or weeds, just flowers and very sweet ones at that. It's light yet it seems to waft gently because I kept smelling the flowers through the evening.

In testing it again the next morning, the same thing happened: dirt/green weeds for an hour then flowers and sugar sweetly. I can't pick out any of the particular florals however. I need to put more on my neck to see how the scent lasts there. Once I get past the dirt stage it's very nice and I would never have imagined it would change like that.

Overall, I like it. I love florals but they never seem to last on me unless there is a strong berry or spice presence.

FAIRY MARKET

In Bottle: Candy

On Skin: Yum! This smells so sweet and candylike! This will be a favorite of mine for sure. While it has the cutesy girly candy feel, there is also the florals that offer an earthy and more refined feel as well. I smell sweet vanilla and a light spice from the golden incense. The grass note does indeed offer a clean feel, but it’s more dry and grainy than wet and green to me but it helps balance the dominant sweetness. I keep thinking it’s smells like something obvious… and after a while it hits me… the first stage of this scent reminds me of Cheerios! Yes! The powdery sweetness, the fruits, the grassy note gives it kind of a grain/cereal feel… As the scent develops, it becomes much lighter and does remind me of a very airy fairy mist. Gentle, pretty and purely feminine. After 2 hours, the fruity sweetness has faded and I am left with a very light floral scent. Bottle worthy for sure. Very light throw and fairly short wearlength.

Edited by slave1

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, holy schmoley SWEETNESS and LIGHT!!! :D

Just knock me over with an eyelash and have done with it already... this stuff is so... GOLDEN smelling, I just can't get over it... I'm a picture thinker, so here's what I've got:

Filtered afternoon sunlight through a carmelized sugar window/looking through strands of spider-webby caramelized sugar, letting them light on your tongue, LOADS OF BLUEBELLS in the wet grass, butterflies en mass, (for some reason, I've got lantana on the brain), being barefoot - squidging your toes in the grass, feeling it prickle... Dandelion milk... and a light rain while the sun is in full swing.

That's what I got - not sure if it helps, but it's what my head told me :P

xo-

Kali V.

So beautiful. I opened the bottle to a scent memory: me at four or five years old, sitting up underneath my Granny's arm, happy and content. It's a very 'blue' scent, feminine and floral, but not 'girly' or commercial-smelling.

I quite like it, and I am not a floral person. :P

I really want this one to be beautiful, because of the name and description! In the imp, it's an interesting sweet “mingled” sort of smell – very much like a room (or market) of many different things. On, while wet, I'm getting some incense, some candy sweetness, some green grass...

As it's drying, I'm getting sugary grass, with maybe a hint of incense. It's almost, but not quite, too sweet. Midnight on the Midway was pure cavity-inducing sugar on me, but I think the grass in this is holding it back from going that way. I think the lavender is helping too. BPAL lavender seems to go sour on me, but in this it joins the grass and helps temper the sugar.

This smells really familiar, for some reason, but I can't figure out why. The throw is really good, too. I like it, but I'm not sure if I need a whole bottle of it. I'll keep the imp and see if I end up wearing it much.

After about 3 hours or so, this is closer to the skin, but smells just a bit reminiscent of Midway, as the sweetness is smoother and is the main note remaining. Pretty!

In the Imp : Mmm, this smells nice and sweet. I'm looking foreword to this.

Wet : "OH MY GOD" These were the first words that left my mouth. Sweet and chilly, this is by far and hands down the best scent I've ever had the pleasure of sampling from the lab. I can *smell* the night air in this - its exactly how I would expect a fairy market to smell.

Dry : Uh oh this is soaking up suspiciously fast. Oh boo! I can hardly smell this at all! Noooo! Come back Fairy Market come back! My only hope is that perhaps this is one of those scents that others can smell but I can't. Oh my breaking heart.

If I press my nose close I can get amber and sugared candies and a small hint of flowers. If this had any amp to it, it would be exquisite in every sense of the word. The grass has also come out and wonder of wonders this is the first scent I've tried that has dew covered grass in it that actually smells like, well, dew covered grass and not dried pasta with a side of allergic reaction if you will.

Over All : While wet this was the single best experience of my little sniffing addiction. The fact that it disappear is to tragic than words can say. I love this so much I want to give it as many chances as possible to start showing up on me.

Big Bottle Worthy : Yes. Without a doubt yes. Even if it only lasts for 3 minutes, it is with out a doubt worth it. :P

In the imp I smell incense and sweet florals, but on my skin the florals fade to nothing, leaving a sweet incense smell. The scent is too "perfumey" for my taste, and it fades much too quickly from my skin, leaving a sweet powdery smell mixed with incense and drug store perfume.

I really wanted to like this one, but skin doesn't agree with it.

edit: After wearing this several more times, I am in love!! My skin chemistry must not have been the best that day, or else I tried it on too soon after it came in the mail, sometimes they need to settle a bit after traveling.

This is now my 2nd favorite scent. Sometimes the green grass smells a bit sharp to me, but I love the sugared incense scent.

I'm currently reading Stardust while wearing this scent, and it helps transport me to the realm beyond Wall...

Edited by TereFaerie

In the bottle it's sweet and clean-smelling, a very delicate sugary floral (but not so delicate that it's difficult to discern).

Wet on my skin, a strong green grass note comes out.

After a few minutes: Wow...is it possible for a scent to be both creamy and grassy at the same time? Because that's what this is like!

Drydown: Very light sweet incense and sugar cookies mixed with fairy dust. This is a lovely sparkling scent and I am SO GLAD I have a bottle of it.

Light, sweet scents don't often do it for me...but Fairy Market is fabulous.

It is incredibly atmospheric, and represents the concept beautifully. There are ever-changing swirls of unknown florals, fruits, herbs moving through every sniff. It's almost (dare I say it?) magical.

i smell a variety of fresh-cut flowers and greenery, with an undercurrent of soft warm incense (and maybe some amber?) the florals are lush and almost fruity. the gentle incense nicely balances the bold florals. it’s long-lasting. the sweetness of the candies comes out hours later. i can only wear some florals, and unfortunately not this one, but it’s still a super-pretty scent.