Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sarahmarie

Fairy Market

"Eyes, eyes! New eyes for old!" shouted a tiny woman in front of a table covered with bottles and jars filled with eyes of every kind and color.
"Instruments of music from a hundred lands!"
"Penny whistles! Tuppenny hums! Threepenny choral anthems!"
"Try your luck! Step right up! Answer a simple riddle and win a wind-flower!"
"Everlasting lavender! Bluebell cloth!"
"Bottled dreams, a shilling a bottle!"
"Coats of night! Coats of twilight! Coats of dusk!"
"Swords of fortune! Wands of power! Rings of eternity! Cards of grace! Roll-up, roll-up, step this way!"
"Salves and ointments, philtres and nostrums!"

Otherworldy golden incense, blooming wind-flowers, everlasting lavender, bluebell, a faint whiff of exotic sugared candies, and fae mist upon wet green grass.

I think this may be my first time writing a first review. Eeep!

Okay, without looking at the notes at all, here's my impression: this is a light, mysterious, fruity floral scent. I can't quite pin it down, but it's definitely ethereal. It evokes things like the little glass snowdrop in the book - delicate, precious, and light. It's light enough that it may be quite fleeting, but it's gently throwing right now, creating a light, sweet veil around me that I think fits perfectly with the mood of the Fairy Market.

And now that I've looked at the notes, I can tell you this: it blends and separates just like the scents of a market would. When I sniff closely, I smell a united, well-blended sweet, fruity floral with an undercurrent of incense, but if I don't sniff directly, I get hints of individual notes. It swirls.

This is so pretty, though I'm interested to see how it dries down. If you're a fan of the *idea* of this scent, I think you'll love it.

my first sniff from the bottle is very positive - this smells sweet and candy-like, but rich. very like a fruity, plummy wine, almost like bordello, which i also love, but less heavy. on my skin, it is much less like bordello, and more sugary - like the sugar in pink moon - but sugared grass, somehow, rather than a sugared flower. almost like a cucumber slice, in its fresh greenness, but dipped in a light coating of sugar. the floral blooms next, but very lightly - i can't say i smell much lavendar, it is probably the bluebell i am sensing - a quiet floral - not soapy or sharp, at all. just springy and graceful. the incense is a bit hard for me to detect, but this is a lovely, fresh, light scent with a surprising depth to it. it is very happy. works well with my chemistry too. it's pretty original, i have to say - the combination of sugar and grassy greenness is what strikes me most, with a sort of graceful sensuality. an instant favorite. i love it!

The first sniff from the bottle is a rich grassy like candle scent, almost etheral. The florals and incense mix together with the slightly wiff of candy. As soon as it hits my skin, it's almost a heady incensy floral but thankfully it calms down into a lilting airy candied floral. For those of you that liked Midight on Midway, this is definately a cousin.

In the bottle, I get a waft of fruity floral.

Wet, it's very sweet and fruity above all. I don't smell a hint of lavender. The florals come back a little as it dries.

Dry, I get incense and the fruity floral quality. I think I might smell a hinting of lavender, but a sweet lavender, like French dentate lavender, not the lavender that goes to stale sweat on me in Gemini, thank all gods. (I admit that the lavender component gave me just a hint of trepidation, when I ordered this.) I find there is something comforting about this scent, like a warm cloud of intriguing smells that folds you in and is ripe with promises.

In the bottle, I smell nondescript florals.

On my skin, the sweetness definitely comes through, and grass over flowers. So that by the time it dried, what it mostly made me think of was... sweet grass. Which actually I kind of dig. It does have a very ethereal feel to it. Actually one thing it kind of reminds me of is the Love Potions scent Fairy Massacre, though I like this one better because it's more sweet and the LP is more grass. But with both, I can definitely get why it's supposed to evoke fairies.

A lovely scent!

Wet this is sweet like the palest bubblegum, with just a touch of lavender peeking through. As it dries I smell the grass a bit and the misty note and can detect a carpet of incense beneath everything.

Very evocative, if a little too sweet on me...

Edited by maribouquet

In the bottle--fresh cantaloupe and sweet flowers, almost too sweet for me...but pretty.

On my mom's arm--a mellow and sweet cantaloupe smell...very bright and sunny, not at all dark. I am going to make a lotion for my mom.

On my arm, the incense shows its head and dirties up the sweet quality...if on my mom, it is sunshine and flower in the bright noon sun, on me it is starting to turn to dusk at the fairy market and the more odd folk are starting to turn up...

ETA: all dried and sitting there for a while, this reminds me a lot of Tresor by Lancome as well as the smell that a completely dried Posset's Fireflies has...it is pretty but in the end, it was too perfume-ish and too sweet for me. And it has already found a nice new home:)

Edited by willowtreeling

I was so excited to try this scent! Even after reading the reviews, I was suprised at how fruity this really was in the bottle. it is very sweet-smelling (something that reminds me of Fire Pig -- could it be lychee?), but also slightly floral. I don't get any lavender in the bottle at all.

Wet: The incense and lavender burst through to the surface initially, followed by the misty ozone smell, mingled with incense.

And now that I've looked at the notes, I can tell you this: it blends and separates just like the scents of a market would.... It swirls.

I'm afraid I don't get much throw from this, but the wet and beginning drydown stages of this scent definitely separate and blend together beautifully. It is truly ethereal, shifting and changing like the fae realm itself. I'm now getting a lot of the ozone-y note, and I'm not sure if I really like it that much. After a while, everything fades until all that's left at the market are the sugared candies and a teensy bit of incense -- it's a little bit sweeter than I usually like, though the incense keeps it from ever turning sickening.

I hate to say it, but I'm on the fence about this one! I will hang onto the bottle for now -- perhaps in a while the incense will come out to play more.

In the Bottle: Oh my, that's sweet. Amber and sugary fluff, and little happy winged things floating 'round my head. It's sort of... cottony? Not cottony smelling, but cottony feeling in my nose? I hope that makes sense. First impressions: it's fluffy.

Wet: Oh hot damn that's nice... from fluff to fruit, it's all candied florals from here, with just a hint of naturalness that stops the blend from going cloyingly sweet.

Drydown: As it warms I get a hint of lavender, but where I can't pin-down the exact floral notes, I get the overall impression of a sweet fruit mead. It's a little fresh, a little fruity, a little sweet, and then once and a while, if I turn my wrist just so, I get a waft of something airy. It's not sharp enough to be ozone, but it kind of reminds me of something I sometimes find in The Ghost.

Verdict: Awesomeness. It's getting progressively fresher as it wears, but the scent keeps morhping on me. Every few minutes the sniffable quality changes. I really, really like this, and I'm not one for sweet florals or candy anything.

It settles wonderfully into something light and fresh and summery with my chemistry.

4/5 on Medici's Scale o' Lurve

Fairy Market was a pretty, delicate incense/grass/fruit combination when wet -- nicely evocative of the different scents of the market -- but it got sweeter and sweeter and more perfumey as it dried on my skin and ended up as something too strong and sickly sweet, rather like Hope did.

I adore the book, and I thought this was the Stardust scent for me because I love the grassy/green/more natural BPAL herbal/florals, but it's just too sweet. I think I need to avoid "sugared" anything from now on.

Edited by isyche

This is what I wanted Midnight on the Midway to be--it's sweet fruit, cantaloupe or watermelon maybe, fresh grass, sugar, incense. There are layers and layers here--a light floral, I guess that would be the bluebell, that I was afraid would turn soapy but didn't, then the grass, and the sugar and incense like a light blanket over it all. It makes me think of candied fruits, but isn't cloying at all. If you amp sweet notes, this might be too much for you, but the grass and floral notes tone the sugar down for me. I think I love this :P

When I first tried this I was undecided. At first I got a gloriously sweet, almost sparkling golden scent over florals that strongly remind me of Beatrice. As it wore on, the two would continuously alternate; sweet incense, florals, then back again. I tried it again, hoping the sweetness would tame the florals, & I think maybe it has? I dunno, I will have to wait a couple of weeks to be sure, then I will edit if there is any change. I am really, really loving the part of Fairy Market that isn't floral. It's gorgeous.

ETA Yup, it's grown on me. I still get the florals, but just a tad--they seem to have struck a truce with the sweetness, because now the flowers/effervescent sweetness intermingle harmoniously on my skin the whole time rather than the tug of war I was getting the first time I tried it. The flowers anchor the sweetness, if that makes any sense. I am definitely keeping my bottle; I can see myself reaching for this one regularly.

Edited by sixthsentinel

in the bottle: fruity, sweet, clean.

wet: yummy sweet candies, fruity candies to be exact, very light, dainty, yet elegant florals, very fragile smelling, slightly watery underneath.

light, otherworldy, etheral, fragile, even twinkly, might describe this blend. there is softest of florals, something ever so slightly aquatic (mist), something like sugared melons, and a slightly smokey waft. but the smoke is not a heavy dark smoke it is light, almost clean yet not at all soapy. just a very gorgeous scent. very complex, very well blended.

I get a waft of golden resin, light sweet smoke, and dewy damp grass. The grass seems to sit at the top of everything and from there all the other notes cascade together. They swirl around and mix at times; other times they do not mix.

I can't individually pick out the lavender, but all those fairy flowers are definitely billowing about.

The sugared candy aspect goes really well with the flowers, dew, golden incense, and grass.

The most notable thing about Fairy Market is how well it mirrors the market in the book. If I had the gift for creating art out of scent, Fairy Market is exactly what I would have made. Beautiful!

Well, I don't get any green grass notes. I get a tiny bit of floral with a lot of sweet fruit and a ton of iscence (a subtle sandalwood and sweet smokey something). Sweeter than i expected, i actually envision candied sugarplums and soft sandalwood. Later on it dries down to a sweet and powdery scent and the floral is slightly more pronounced. I'd say it's an exotic and feminine scent wiout hitting you over the head w/ the floral :P

Fairy Market - This blend opens up with the scent of gorgeous flowers, followed immediately by the scent of grass, followed immediately by the scent of marsh mallow (not the puffy white sugar-bomb you put on s'mores, but real mallow), which I’m guessing is the “exotic sugared candies” from the description. All three scents manage to remain distinct, yet compliment each other gorgeously. As the blend dries down on my skin, the incense becomes the dominant note and the grass and flowers disappear. The marsh mallow scent fades a bit, but doesn’t disappear completely, and at this point, I can smell the sugary mallow scent blending with the lavender, which is reminiscent of TKO, except it's soft and subtle like a sprinkling of fairy dust. It almost becomes powdery, without being a baby powder type of scent. This scent is gorgeous from beginning to end, despite how differently it smells at the end from the beginning. After drydown, it’s a fairly light scent on my skin, but if I take a walk outside or do something that warms my skin up, it amps the scent up again. I absolutely love it. If I could look like any scent smells, I might choose to look like this one.

I need a bottle of this! This is a sugared--but complex--fruity floral. I'm not sure just what fruit it is, but it's sweet and juicy and a bit dark and mysterious. And I've sniffed my wrist so much in the last hour that I have a scent headache.

I often deliberate over a scent, especially if I'm considering a bottle. This is an immediate must-have.

What can I add to the glowing reviews? This is delicate and imaginative and makes me feel impossibly light.

The incense is so pretty, smokey and mysterious. It is an elegant pairing with the lavender, which is the most prominent floral note on my skin. The other florals are wispy and soft. The overall sensation is cool and very fine. I'm thrilled to smell the green note amidst everything else.

As it dries the sugary sweetness appears and then transforms into the lightest powder. The incense note has remained. It's still intensely beautiful. I'm happy that I didn't wait to buy a bottle of this!

In the vial:

Soft, sweet

On me:

Goes on like fruit candy - sugary sweet and fruity but not too powerful. It's very soft and girly - pleasant but nothing really stands out in particular. The incense notes give it a sort of golden feel.

Final note:

Very nice, I like it a lot. I will definitely get a bottle of this at some point :P

Oooh, have I ever been anxious to try Fairy Market! In the beginning I get a blast of florals and loads of toothaching sugar on my skin, but the oil almost immediately begins to morph and twirl, it is very fascinating - one moment I only get sugar coated fruits, the next florals and incense. As the Market dries on my skin the scent darkens and becomes more of a twilight scent with lavender and sugary incense.

Such a charming, wispy scent, I adore it :P

Origin: decant from eviltemptressdq's circle

Initial Thoughts: I adore the book. I adore this scene. I adore the description. I hope that the incense and grass notes aren't overpowering.

In the Bottle: Grassy with a lot of sugary florals and a fruity impression.

Wet: Phooey. After a blast of grass I get the incense.

Drydown: Well, the incense note backs off, but so does everything else. I can barely pick out the grassy floral and I can only get a touch of sugar if I sniff really long and hard.

Verdict: I'll pass on this one.

This is WAY too sweet and fruity for me. Holy cow.

Here's the thing, though -- it's very, very pretty. And it IS a swirling, shifting scent -- at first all I get is the fruity candies, and then I get all grass, and then back to the candies. It's very neat, and is a wonderful interpretation. Sadly, it's just not a winner for me. I can't do scents that are so sweet.

Edited by Electra

I put this on and it is the most wonderful candy, fruity, fluffy smell. But then..come back! it dries to grass and strong flowers. As it further dries I get a little bit of that sugared incense coming back but there's nothing like that delicious first sniff.

Just like the market, this has got a bit of everything - sugar, flowers, resins, and fresh notes. Such a long list of ingredients would normally be an awful thing, but it seems to work perfectly in this case. In the end, though, it's just a little bit too cotton-candy smelling for me.

Delightfully well-balanced, sweet, incensy, and playful, the Fairy Market would be great for me if I were a little more into foody scents (when I want to smell sweet, I tend to go for creamy vanillas). I'm swapping, but with regret.

Edited by LadyMedb

This is exquisitely lovely!!

A beautiful, sweet, haunting combination of soft, creeping florals, light incense and sugary sweetness. When first applied, the florals are on top, with a wafting of smoke and sugar floating somewhere beneath. When it dries down, it morphs into a sugary, foody confection with a hint of sweet florals. This is much like a combination of Midnight on the Midway and the new version of Pink Moon.

This lasts about 4 hours on my skin.

I love this one; it's fabulous!! I love the book Stardust, I am soooo psyched to see the movie!!!!! :P