Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
copyshopclerk

The Crumpet Rebellion

Yay! I got to try this thanks to a generous sniffie donor! (thanks!)

Wet - I am amping all the spice in this. Lots more rebellion than crumpet! Maybe the cardamom?

Dry - ah, much better. This becomes a much more well rounded scent. I am now getting the lovely buttery crumpet. I am still looking for the berry notes though. Right now it is basically spicy cake on me. Will edit my review if I get the berries to come out and play!

All in all - glad I got to try it, and I do like it, but I no longer feel the need to bid a ton on ebay for it!

Another review from the awesome European sniffies circle (aka Ahania we love you!).

This smells lovely and buttery when wet. I like foodie, so I had high hopes for this one.

And I'm definitely not dissapointed. Other smells are peeking through, like currant, and... sugar perhaps? It makes the scent aas a whole less foody, but more interesting.

Edited by Tesseljoan

Buttery when wet indeed. For me it's buttery and a slightly berry tang to it.

Unfortunately, it's a little too heavy on the butter even in the drydown and I get a weird burnt undertone to it.

Aw, fine and dandy because this is for a friend. :P

This is nice, it has a spiciness to it like Judith victorious but not as strong and allergic making. Seems more citric than berries to me for some reason but i guess that's currents.l I like it,and I think i will keep the decant but I'm not desperate for a bottle now although I wouldn't mind!

Edited by ivy_fiddlefox

I was lucky to snag a half-decant of those from a sale!

Unfortunately (or fortunately, for my nerves and my wallet), CR does not live up to the hype for me. It is a lovely scent but it is too sickly-sweet for my tastes. Very reminiscent of the Knave of Hearts, which did the same thing on my skin. Off to a better home with you, Crumpet!

Ah, lovely rich complex cardamom-spice baked goods, I am so glad I was in Portland when you came to town.

Wet: All berries and booze! It's definitely blackberry or black currant-- has the Monsterbait Closet feel. I'm not getting any spice (no cardamom at all) but rather, it's like a crumpet batter... with overripe berries in it so they all got bruised and oozed into the batter and changed its color, haha.

Dry: Now it's baking! It's that sharp jolt of scent that hits you right as the batter begins to cook. It's floral-sweet. Not "floral", but not like spicy-sweet, or sugar-sweet, or gourmet-sweet. I think that's just the nature of the fruit in it.

A very fruit/floral sweet blend! Lovely.

OMG...I really wanted this to work on me...It was one of my Holy Grail scents...I finally managed to get my hands on some...and...

Delicious, cake soaked through with berry syrup but not too sweet, light and fluffy like a scone or buttercream...oh my...cake and berries and then...oh no! What is that weird smell...anise! Dismay...the anise amps up and then it swallows the cake and oh no...anise bad on me. :P

I'm going to hang on to it and (desperately) give it one more try...but that's how it is sometimes...you covet a scent so much and then it disappoints! But there is so much fun in the anticipation...

I really had a 'smell' in mind when I thought of what this would smell (all sweet sugary and buttery crumpets and cakes) but it doesn't smell like I had imagined it. It has a slightly crumpety base and a tiny hint of butter but over the top of this i smell juicy redcurrants and blackcurrants. This also has a ton of white sugar over it and then a little spicy kick. This is so unusual and lovely! I'm glad I got to try it.

I was lucky enough to get a sniffie of this in a recent purchase. I've been dying to smell it, and I was not disappointed! I haven't really got enough to put any on, but it smells delightfully buttery, and smothered with currant. Something tells me if I had a bottle of this, I'd be trying to eat my arms! :P

I was lucky enough to receive half an imp of this as it's utterly gorgeous. It's like Eat Me all grown up, scrumptious sugar covered currants with a hint of spice layered over a slice of decadent buttery cake. This is sheer foody heaven!

An eternal thanks to copyshopclerk for making it possible to have this in my possession!!! ;)

in the bottle: all butter and sugar, with a *slight* hint of the currants yet to come B)

wet on skin: the currants come to the fore, making this smell EXACTLY like warm scones with jam and butter :)

dry down: a fantastic bit of citrus zest gets thrown in, making it more complex and SOOO real- like i am actually in a tea house having a nibble :swoon:

an hour later: i am left with a faint remnant of sweet bread. it reminds me slightly of Closet in it's pastry-ness, and slightly of sugar Skull in the sugary aspect, but it's less overwhelming than either of those two. there's just a beautiful slightly incense slightly food finish.

in all: SO in love!!!

:P :D :D

Sorry to have to say that this REALLY didn't work for me.

I was looking forward to trying this. I'm not a particularly foodie sniffer, but there are scents that I love in that category. This, though, went to high-butter and screaming berry on me and I had to wash it off!

Yes, my wallet sighs in relief.....!!

This is somewhat like Beaver Moon with cardamom and topped with extra jam and sugar. Smelles just like a hot, sugary blueberry scone! And possibly the ONLY bpal foodie scent that doesn't turn to plastic on my skin! *huffs wrist*

I really wanted to love Crumpet Rebellion, and I was utterly jonesing for it too, especially with how highly in demand it was. But I don't like it at all. It smells exactly like what it sounds like- a thick butter pastry. The filling is that artificial purple berry filling. I'm not sure what it is, I'd have to give it some thought, but it is definitely a very processed sort of filling (basically slathered with sugar), which is probably what ruins the scent for me personally (I hate sugar in food). If you want to smell like butter and sugary berries, then this is the scent for you. You know, thinking on it, people said blackberries, but I'd say black currant is probably pretty accurate (once again, very much infused with sugar).

How is it that I have no reviewed this one? How, I ask you??

This stays pretty much the same, bottle-to-dry. It's jammy, bakery goodness! I think I get currants from this, but perhaps mixed with a bit of another fruit... someone said orange marmalade, which could very well be it! Currant and orange marmalade, in big dollops atop warm, spiced scones. I get very little butteriness from this (luckily), but the spice note (smells like cinnamon to me) does come out more as this dries.

This is so nice! I cannot compare it to Knave of Hearts, because I never dared try it -- it has rose in it, which is my bane note. It's much lighter than Eat Me, that much I can say -- this is more fruit jam than cake, with Eat Me being the opposite (and having a little resin or incense thrown in).

Yep, definitely a keeper. :P

Crumpet Rebelion to me is intially a bitter orange, almost too bitter for my liking, but then it begins to settle into black tea and soft pie crust spices, almost reminiscent of BPAL's pumpkin note. More of a baked goods foody scent than a fruity/berry foody scent, there's warm spices and cakeyness close to the skin.

Edited by lilacea

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this yet. Butter notes often go icky on me, so I was a bit worried about the pastry in this. Thankfully, I barely get any straight butter at all, just flaky pastry covered in mounds of jammy dark fruit. There's some spice in the currants, though, that makes this even more delicious and elegant than just smelling like a tart. I absolutely love it. :P It has great throw and lasts HOURS on me.

Edited by bellis

First sniff: The crumpets may be rebelling, but they definitely aren’t revolting! This is a fantastic buttery-cakey scent with a great big dollop of berry jam.

Wearing: It’s more sharply fruity on my skin – the cakeyness isn’t softening the berryness like it did in the bottle, and there seems to be a little splash of really rich alcohol. It’s like a crumpet liqueur.

I love the currant notes in this, but on my skin the pastry is too heavy and there's a vinegar-y note to it. I like it, but like other currant/berry blends better.

In the end, it's caramel, but it takes too long to get there. I share some reviewers' disdain for ultra-heavy food scents and this one pelts my head with cloying sugarbomb notes. Literally. It's headache-inducing! It's too obnoxious to even attempt comparisons with food items. Nice to have tried it, but it's not for me.

I'm not a foodie, so I've never gone searching for this scent. But this testable sniffie was part of an auction I won, so I figured I had to try it.

In the vial: Fruity, buttery, foody.

Wet: Foody, a bit buttery, but the fruit has turned sharp. I wonder if that means currant? Currant almost never works on me, whereas most of the Lab's fruit notes do fine on me. But this has a genuinely bitter overtone, like jam made with too many berry skins and not enough pulp. There's also a bit of something woody-spicy, maybe cinnamon.

Twenty minutes: The bitter jam note is dominating here, along with a woody spice note, darker than cinnamon. I'm guessing black currants, not red ones. And maybe another very dark berry, although this is nothing like the blueberry or blackberry notes I've experienced. At any rate, the buttery baked-goods quality of it is entirely secondary.

One hour: Still strong bitter jam with some woody spice. Is that anise, or fennel maybe?

Two hours: Yup, still bitter jam and a woody spice.

Five hours: The dark fruit jam note is still lightly present, and something a little like maple syrup or maybe it's just baked goods with butter I'm smelling.

At ten hours, I was beginning to get a buttery note. I guess it took the bitter fruit note that long to die down. Frankly, I'm just as glad I dodged a bullet on this one. People do crazy things for half-imps of this one!

Wet: Berries and pastry. Yum!

First on: Same on the skin.

Dry: A bit of caramel, buttery pastry. Kinda wanna lick myself.

Wow, I thought I had reviewed this one, but apparently not. Probably a good thing, as when it was new, my overwhelming impression was all shrill spices. Spices do tend to amp on me, but it really ruined this blend for wearing for me.

Aged however! :thud: Just slathered some on, and it is sooooo gorgeous on me now! The spice is still definitely present, but in a much reduced way, and just gives the whole scent a bit of a zing. It is most definitely a foody blend, but for those of us who like that sort of thing, this is just about perfection, imo. The crumpety base never gets too buttery on me, just rich and warm from the oven, the berries are perfectly ripe and oozing their juices out onto the crumpet, and the dusting of brown sugar and cardamom over the top adds the perfect finish.

This bottle just went into the "pry it from my cold, dead hands" box.

ETA: And it lasts! My wrists still smell delicious, 24 hours later!

Edited by Wench457

In the bottle: Very pale yellow oil. Spicy ginger clove and buttery, sweet, foody cake, which isn't that sweet and really buttery, so I can see the 'buttered crumpet' I think. Foody galore.

Wet: Spicier and sweeter, with an almost fruity note (apple? pear?). This is SO buttery that it reminds me greatly of the pumpkin scents (Pumpkin Queen?), especially in combo with the spice. A bit of creamy vanilla.

Dry: I don't get blackberry - definitely not. I do get the Sugar Skull comparisons (similar sugary note with a hint of incense). The ginger is going very hot-dry spicy, like in Gingerbread Poppet or Shub-Niggurath.

Later: I think the major fruit note is pear, and I get a bit of dark fruit - though it's a dried fruit note. Some reviews mention citrus, and I could see that. It has more of a marmalade smell than a berry smell, for sure. The fruits are very faint and close to the skin, alas.

Summary: I don't get any tartness, and I love tart fruit. Hot ginger, spicy clove, sweet vanillic butter galore and slightly burnt sugar with juicy pear and a hint dark dried berry.

The extended drydown reminds me of spice-addled Plum Pudding with slightly boozy Hard Sauce like my grandmother would make for Christmas. Like...exactly. Definitely a dried fruit vibe. Very nostalgic, but this is not something I'd wear.