Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
shelldoo

Macbeth and the Witches

Lightning-charged ozone, steel, myrrh, mugwort, colophony, ajowan, and leather.

Sniffing from the imp, metalllic ozone. Wet on the skin--damp, funkified and sweaty leather. When it dries, the ozone gets very harsh, and a resinous thyme aroma that resembles body odor kicks in.

Nope!! Not for me!!!

:P

Wet, ozone.

Ozone and steel and leather. Actually, there is a hint that it isn't just steel and leather, it is an armored warrior on a lightning slashed night. I do smell the part of the scent that is turning into BO on some. Mine is not quite going that far, but there is a musky impression to it.

Dry, the scent of herbs has overcome everything else.

It was an interesting ride. Interesting that my skin chose to amp the herbs so far up. I suppose I need to be careful of mugwort, colophony, and ajowan in the future.

Light and ozonically herbal on me at first, but it starts to go to the "warrior BO" place on me fairly quickly. I may need to wash this off.

Ozone and leather in a very strong combination. The myrrh adds some spicy sweetness in the background. Good throw - keeper :)

If, on an average day, you asked me what ozone smelled like, I'd say "Dunno." Today, if you ask, I will thrust my imp (thanks again to the wonderful Ahania!!) under your nose and tell you to breathe deeply. I didn't know that I knew but now I know that I knew!

On drydown, the ozone is still present, but the scent of well worn leather is right up there too. There's a little bit of an incense-ish note too (is that the myrrh? I don't have the slightest idea what the other notes are, much less what they smell like). The overall effect is lovely. I can easily see this being worn by a man, but I wouldn't think twice about wearing it myself.

:wub2:

:::MACBETH AND THE WITCHES:::

By the pricking of my thumbs, something Wicked, this way, comes...

T'was love at first breath,

Thanks be to Beth!

Huzzah, Melancholia!Wordsmitheries & death!

What balm deign becloud us?

What proud, bottled demon?

Thrice, shade enshroud us,

A perfumed oil, screamin'!

Comedy spares us madness,

Tragedy leaves us scarred,

With cups lifted in gladness,

A toast to The Bard...

Such delight, this excitement!

The lid, we unscrew,

Is this Capulet-violent?

Will this tame the Shrew?

Explore now this treasure,

'Tis better than riches!

Every breath, a pleasure,

Macbeth & The Witches!

The first note was carried,

On a current of wonder,

Ozone, bright and scary,

With a peal of dread thunders,

From the wisps of the cauldron,

Comes magic's bold feat,

Here a resinous blast,

Of Myrrh, dark & sweet,

Steel wax electric!

Lo! Take center stage!

Blade, bid undoing!

Storm's Hellish rage!

Vengeance and violence,

Bind us together!

Damned spot, out with you!

Divert me with Leather!

Herb and Flower of forest,

Enchant this concoction!

Imprison this madness!

Poor souls up for auction!

Now quiet the tempest,

Though, trees march, breath hitches,

Beware when we wear,

Macbeth and The Witches!

This is an original and potent fragrance. A particularly brilliant aspect about the fragrance that is Macbeth and the Witches, and how it relates

to the artwork in particular, is the chiaroscuro effect that gets translated, magnificently, by this blend.

The Ajowan and Mugwort come together and emote a choking malice. Here, it catches in the back of the throat, alluding to a sense of falling prey to a poisoner.The Leather in Macbeth and the Witches is there, but it lurks in the shadows as would a pair of assassins.

Meanwhile, the Steel and the Ozone in this blend combine to give an effect that is more like a mirror's surface or, perhaps, chrome. This has the effect of bringing out the murderous flaws into sharp relief.

That this has been named for both, one of the most powerful tragedies penned to date and an evocative masterpiece is no mistake.

Macbeth and the Witches is olfactory cannon fire.

This is a disproportionately proud fragrance for Him.

Macbeth and the Witches is wrought with danger and madness.

Spectrally, this fragrance is steely & electric on one side, while the other mimics the deepest shadows of the forest.

Unadulterated brilliance.

5 out of 5!

Edited by impolight

I've been meaning to try this ever since I first discovered the Salon but never had the courage to buy a bottle without testing. Now I could finally afford to :)

In the bottle: ozone - god, I love the Lab's ozone note - steel, and something faintly sweet.

On wet: Oh wow! Oh boy, this is freaking brilliant. Herbs, ozone and metal, very fresh and rainy and brisk. I like this a lot!

Drydown - this merges into a gorgeous, herbal, wet, ozoney, slightly leathery, cool blend. Definitely one of my favourite ozone blends from hereon forth and even better than I expected it to be :D

In the Imp: So excited to try this, my first Salon scent! From the imp, wow. I'm not sure I can place any single note. It's warmly herbal, but not spicy - I think the "leather" is keeping it calm. The ozone is nice and not overly sharp.

Wet: Soooo niiiice. Holy crap. I can't even form words right now. This is ALMOST like cologne, but it's too light and unusual to be a spot on match. Instead it takes cologne's best qualities and alters the rest. This is an understated strength. I get very, very gentle, sun warmed leather amidst just the tiniest bit of ozone. I really think it would be too languid/hazy without it, but it definitely adds just the right amount of interest. The colophony, which I didn't recognize, is apparently a resin, and I do get a small amount of outdoorsy trees in here. It's amazing that all of the notes are so incredibly gentle, yet you can pick out each of them. And, together they make quite the statement.

Dry: Basically the same, perhaps more of the herbal quality of the ajowan comes out (similar to thyme), but everything is still second fiddle to that stunning, supple leather. I wouldn't say this matches the art, but hey, it's still gorgeous. The image, to me, evokes a coldness and detached quality. Instead, this oil is like a king/queen stripped down from all the regalia and in their more casual riding clothes, after they've been out sweating during a summer's day hunt. They are more raw and "real", but still undeniably out of your league. :P HOT.

Overall: Love this. Lots. Makes me feel more confident overall just smelling it. Definitely need to upgrade my imp decant to a bottle, and it's the first one I've needed in a while.

*edit* Spelling errors because of excitement!

Edited by Balame

Imp: Holy crap this is strong. I can't tell what it is, I just know it could knock out an elephant.

Wet: Ooh, how lovely! I'm picking up a shock of ozone and some clean-smelling herbs.

Dry: The longer this is on, the more I smell the leather and the mugwort. The combined effect brings up some bad scent memories for me - I tried acupuncture once and it didn't go very well, and the smell of moxibustion is tied up in those memories.

Verdict: I think I would really like this scent on someone else. With me, the leather and mugwort combine into a nasty burning smell, but with someone else's skin chemistry it might keep the ozoney, non-mugwort-herbs part in the forefront longer.

Almost prefect...but not quite.

In the bottle: Lightning and an apothecary. Rather herbal in a medicinal way but I like that.

Wet:Leather. A sort of human skin book leather very taboo and old and slightly evil smelling. The smell of the air before the real storm hits. It's like standing in a wet grassy (herbal) field after the rain has stopped but before the sky has cleared and knowing just knowing that every thing will be worse. I LOVE it. Something like steel and expectation.

Drying(30min-60min):Still that forbidden leather and steel scent but something salty and slightly reeking of ammonia has come through. Herein the problem lies. It smells like urine. Why did my skin have to ruin this for me. There are no loving gods.

Dry(3 Hours): Thankfully the ammonia has subsided and it's gone to faint leather and medicinals.

Oh my. This is quite gorgeous. At first, I didn't know if it was too boy, but after several different tests I have to say no, it's pretty neutral, and does not smell like cologne.

Wet it's like fresh night air, it's so wonderful, it's not fresh like laundry soap, like Dirty, it's fresh like the air on Mulholland Drive at midnight in October. It's fresh like 2AM on Avenue B, just walking out into a summer night right after a rain storm.

I love this, it's evocative and mysterious, perfect for when I don't want to smell like fruit, or candy.

I get the leather first, it smells a bit like the leather and saffron in Leather Phoenix, then a curry note comes out. I can't smell the ozone, but it gives a cold feeling to the scent. Cold curry?

I wouldn't go so far as to call this body odor, but it is like tumeric and leather covering the freshly sweaty skin of someone dancing outside during an electrical storm.

This works better on me that it has any right to, given my track record with ozone! I kept waiting for it to (a) give me a headache or ( B) start smelling like dryer sheets, but neither thing happened. What I get is a sort of watery/misty green scent with a hint of something sharp lurking in the background. No leather that I can detect. It has the potential to go overly masculine, but never really does that either, and I find myself going back to sniff my arm again. I'm still not quite sure if this is "me," but it's interesting!

ETA: Alas, I spoke too soon; I did eventually get a headache from this. Fie on you, ozone!

Edited by lady_pandora

I decided to use the very last of this imp which I've been hoarding for about a decade.

What a wonderful scent! It makes me think of Cathode & Envy with a strong metallic tang in the bottle.

Initially on my skin it's all ozone and herbs, sharp and astringent like a lightning strike. After an hour or so it mellows to dusty leather and steel with a hint of ozone (it make me think of leather aprons and welding). This salon series of imps was my first jump into BPAL and these years later it's bittersweet to say goodbye to one of my favourite scents