Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Summerpixy

Sandalwood Scents

My aunt likes sandalwood for a scent, so I'm going to get her something from here to try, but I'm just not sure what to get for a woman approaching her 60's since I'm in my early 20's.

Help? :P

Sin is very nice.

I gave a bottle to a friend on mine who loves sandalwood.

Ok... I have to throw this in...

I know there's no sandalwood listed in 'Noir' :

Our olfactory tribute to the film genre: a dark, moody, brooding scent that embodies moral ambiguity, alienation, and soul-wrenching cynicism. A complex, seamy blend of Lily of the Valley, opoponax, myrrh, black rose and plum with a slithering twist of clove, deep plum and star jasmine.

... but, I am a sandalwood fanatic, and 'Noir' puts off a sandalwood smell to me. I was CONVINCED there was sandalwood in it till I read the description. Everyone around me knows how much I love sandalwood, and those who have smelled 'Noir' all agree: it's an amazing 'non sandalwood' yet, sandalwood scent. All I can think of is that maybe the opoponax is what's creating that sandalwood smell.

Honestly... it's not fruity, or too floral, or overly 'youthful' in my opinion. An older woman may really LOVE 'Noir'.

Just my 2 cents :P

-Leslie

What a lovely gift.

Perhaps you'll consider these:

Anne Bonny

Rakshasa

Damnation

Cathedral

Shroud

Black Rose

Edited by andrabell

I'm rapidly approaching 48, yes the years do speed up :P

My choices would be:

Sin (on me the most sandalwoody),

Queen Mab, Seraphim, Seraglio, Tamora, Libra (depending on her star sign?)

The latter 5 are not so sandalwoody on me, but are so beautiful.

Old Morocco is a great softly spicy sandalwood to me, and I agree with MissAnthropy that Noir smells very sandalwoody (it's nice too).

Edited by maiden

so far Cathedral is my favorite for a fairly pure sandalwood scent. its really nice.

I love sandalwood scents. I love Sin, but for your gift, I would highly recommend Queen Mab. It is perfect! It has sandalwood with a bit of a unique floral in the back drop, but not too much. Sin is excellent, but I'm not sure if she'd like it as much as Queen Mab. Loralei is also another Sandalwood scent to consider.

I second Aureus, just because I LOVE it, but it doesn't smell all that sandalwoody on me - it goes really spicy and cedary on me - but that might just be my chemistry.

Velvet, on the other hand, is cocoa and deep, smooth sandalwood. It's an unusual and decadent mix, and very well-balanced. It's really pretty and rich.

I don't know if there's actually sandalwood in it, but Tushnamatay smells like sandalwood to me, and it's really glorious.

I like Queen Mab a lot but as a long-time sandalwood fan, it does not really scream sandalwood to me.

AH HA!!!!! I re-found the Sandalwood thred (well, Andra found it for me). THANK GOODNESS!!

I am with VorpalBunny. I like Queen Mab, but she doesn't SCREAM sandalwood the way I want a scent to.

In fact, I am still trying to find what refer to as "The Sandalwood Scent of My Dreams".

It *was* Noir - which, though it did not list it as a note, was perfectly sandalwoody to me.

Now I'm hooked on Cathedral. And, I'm ordering either a 5ml or 10ml of it, but... I keep thinking I'm missing out on some other fantastic sandalwood scents. In fact, I know I am.

So... does anyone have any suggestions for me?

-Leslie

Hamadryiad is ~soooo~ nice; i probably won't be able to get my brains in order to write a real review but it goes through a cinnamon (other) woody stage, and seems much like Chimera, early on, then goes warm and woody and subtle for quite a long time. The sandalwood seems to have staying power.

I get a really nice sandalwood from Tushnamatay. Am I crazy?

Nope. I seem to pick up on a sandalwood note in it, too. It just doesn't seem strong enough to me.

I like Hamadryad, but as I was telling people the other day, there's something in it that does not like my skin. I think it may be the cinnamon (which we deducted may be cassia). I can wear it on my wrists, and no where else. If I do, it stings and irritated my skin, especially on my neck.

-Leslie

I'm also a big sandalwood fan. I would definitely go for Anne Bonny, Velvet, and Kathmandu (the latter being one of my very favorites). There's also Gaueko, which I love, but most people really don't like.

I had a hard time with sandalwood and decided to avoid it for a while, it was too dry and woody on me. But I found a couple of scents that are just lovely, Jezebel and Rakshasa. Jezebel is definitely on the sweeter side, with the strong honey note. Rakshasa is dryer, but not too dry, and has an exotic spiciness to it.

I get a really nice sandalwood from Tushnamatay. Am I crazy?

If you are, please move over and make room for me next to you on the crazy train ... I was pleasantly ... no, delightedly ... thrilled and surprised by Tushmanatay and its sandalwoodiness. It is on my next big bottle list.

I am a YOOGE sandalwood fanatic and Elizabeth is a genius with the scent so there are very few BPAL scents with that note that I DON'T love (Queen Mab is one of them because orchid is very wonky on my and takes over everything).

I think my favorites are Veil, even though it would probably be classified as floral, and Gaueko.

Veil was my first BPAL scent ... I sat there with the "catalogue", senses in overdrive, narrowing down my choices to buy three 5 MLs based strictly on the notes and chose Veil, Twilight and Envy. Loved all three but through all my tests and trials and revamping of my top 10 over and over, Veil always triumphs as near-perfection.

And Gaueko ... I know it doesn't seem to be one of those classic favorites but, oh my, sandalwood and lavender ... heaven on earth.

I would give anything to turn back time and have bought up a few single-note bottles of sandalwood ... *le sigh*

oooh, like jazziecazzie I love sandalwood, but don't like the orchid in queen mab...

rakshasa & velvet are my favourites, but I am looking forward to trying zephyr. rakshasa makes me feel so happy every time I wear it. :P

Been a while since this post has had new blood.

Ode on Melancholy is gloriously sandalwood on me. White musk and white sandalwood with a little high citrus floral kick. A new favorite for me.