Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sirensongsouth

Laudanum

LAUDANUM:

The essence of the most debauched hunger encapsulated into a perfume. Desire beyond love, anguish beyond sanity. Nutmeg, sassafras, black poppy and myrrh.

Wet- this smelled vaguely medicinal, sort of a herby-sweet medicinal smell, not offensive, but not terribly enticing. O.k., it smells like you would expect something named laudanum to smell like. :P

Dry 1 hr later- I think I smell somewhat like a spice cookie. Not a bad thing as I love spice cookies, but I'm not a big foody scent fan.

Dry 3 hrs later- This I like, the scent has morphed yet again, now I smell yummy spices, warmth, sweetness and floral. Its intoxicatingly good! Its really hard to pick apart the scent as it now seems to be a part of me.

This is really an interesting scent. I can see where the name came from. Its medicinal, good for you, luring you in with an innocent sweetness. What could possibly be bad about something that smells like cookies? Then the scent turns into something else entirely and drugs you with a delicious, beautiful scent entirely unlike what you thought you were going to get. The drydown is, to my nose, addictive.

I liken this to opium smoke in a bottle, though to be accurate it probably smells more like a strong incense. This is one of my favorites, but I think it's heavy enough I won't wear it much during the warmer months. I definitely need a big bottle of this.

ADDED March 27:

It seems like a scent that Dr. Jekyll would have made for Jack The Ripper.  :P (Gosh--that was dramatic--but that was my first thought when trying to describe it!   :D  )

Between this description and my own feeling that the scent is like that of opium smoke, I'll now always mentally smell this whenever I see or read From Hell.

ADDED April 8:

Ismene!!! That was exactly what I thought when I smelled this for the first time yesterday. Actually, what I thought was "This smells like Johnny Depp!" Totally weird!

It's an extremely interesting scent.

Having never sniffed Johnny Depp up close and personal (alas), I cannot vouch for this. :D Definitely a nice thought, though...

Edited by Shollin

Laudanum is tantalizing and psychotropic.

I smell the sassafrass, then later the nutmeg. I am a huge fan of myrrh, but can't seem to smell it in this blend.

The night I wore this, Halloween night, everyone around me loved it and it made me feel faintly high (no--seriously, it did.)

It seems like a scent that Dr. Jekyll would have made for Jack The Ripper. :P (Gosh--that was dramatic--but that was my first thought when trying to describe it! :D )

Ismene!!! That was exactly what I thought when I smelled this for the first time yesterday. Actually, what I thought was "This smells like Johnny Depp!" Totally weird!

It's an extremely interesting scent.

This one is soooo good. Several people have said that Old Morocco is like Snake Oil without the vanilla. I would say that this is like Snake Oil without the sweetness (Old Morocco was still a bit too sweet for me). To me this has the tingly spicyness of an old-fashioned root beer before they started ruining it with corn syrup and god knows what else.

On second wearing, I agree with the first few reviews, there is definitely a medicinal feel to this and it has a bit of an intoxicating effect as well. Maybe it's the black poppy, I'm not sure since I have no idea what poppy smells like.

Edited by minilux

This smells so strange on me. It's not bad, but it's just strange. I feel all woozy and heady and dizzy. OK, maybe I'm just hungry, but still.

It's herbal and medicinal and sweet, in an ominous chemical way. It's such a green smell, but not green like grasses and fresh leaves - more green like an old fashioned chemistry experiment that makes explosions of bright green smoke happen. The poppy is very strong in this, with the other ingredients rounding it out and sweetening it. I think this is how the field of poppies smells in the Wizard of Oz.

This is an intriguing smell, but not something that I personally want to smell like. It gives me a bit of a headache.

ETA: I tried to wear this again, but even opening the bottle made me feel dizzy and nauseous and even made me kind of angry, like in an emotional way. It does the opposite of growing on me; the more I smell it the less I like it.

Edited by ladylatemar

Initial Sniff: Spicy! This smells like a kitchen in an exotic land - the window is open and the perfume of mysterious flowers mingles with the smell of unfamiliar foods.

Wearing: This stays fairly true on my skin, only becoming a tiny bit sweeter as it dries.

Final Impressions: I like this one, but at the same time I don't. It is very distracting to wear, but not good distracting. Forunately, it fades quickly.

First try: It seems like it smells like black pepper to me, but I think it's the nutmeg. And yes it is, because it's dried a little bit and smell very much like nutmeg. Still need to test it some more.

First sniff: Pitch-black, claustrophobic and stiflingly warm. Smelling Laudanum is like being in a low cave.

Wearing: Ah – it’s not really black, it’s purple so deep as to be nearly indistinguishable. It’s still very close-darkness, and it’s making me twitchy – I’m more than a little claustrophobic. Once it dries it lightens up quite a bit, and the dry scent is reminiscent of dried yellow grass. It doesn’t quite work on me, I think.

This reminded me of clove cigarettes, cinnamon, and gingerbread. Very delicious!

On the second wearing, this smells a bit smokey, like incense, near the beginning. I'd say it smells like some illegal, narcotic substance that it's based on, but I have no idea what that's like. Either way, still very delicious.

ADDED Sept. 10:

Out of the bottle and at first application, this is a very strong, herbal, medicine-y scent. BUT HAVE NO WORRIES within a half an hour this becomes absolutely delicious. And when I say "delicious", I mean it. Very cozy and warm. A little boy attacked/hugged me once while I was wearing this and said, "Katy, you smell good." So that's a pretty good review.

Edited by Shollin

First Impression: Sassparilla, only not much sweetness.

Second Impression: The sassparilla smells stays but it deepens as it dries into a slightly smoky, medicinal smell.

Final Analysis: This was a generous freebie from Ms. MsGirl. I like it, I think it will layer well with Snake Oil!

In the bottle: Nutmeg with an edge of something sinister.

Wearing: I didn't care for it when it was wet. It smelled medicinal to me at first. After the drydown I fell in love. The spiciness came out and it was a very warm scent. It almost smelled languid if that makes any sense. I can see myself wearing it more during the winter months, it's kind of a heavy scent.

I got this in a swap for my brother (thanks Chai_Girl!).

From the bottle it's good & bad, depending on what you were expecting. It was actually nicer than I thought, though it does have that medicinal thing going. Probably the Black Poppy & Nutmeg. I also smell a strong Myrrh note, which I love.

On it smells increasingly softer and more resiny. Smoky too. The nutmeg calms down bit by bit.

It's very smoky and masculine. Myrrh, nutmeg and tobacco.

I smell something sweet underneath. Reminds me of the sweetness in Black Lotus.

My favourite part is the soft pipe tobacco scent on the drydown.

It reminds me of an old fashioned pouch of vanilla flavoured tobacco. This makes Laudanum a perfect scent for the gentlemen (imho), especially those who love the Victorian era.

The dark side of Victorian era.

Those who enjoy the more poetic reviews, this really does smell like From Hell. I can just imagine this scent wafting around in a parlor after a group of doctors have been sitting there, enjoying a drink and a pipeful over conversation (not forgetting the secret handshakes).

It's a dark, sinister, yet sophisticated scent. Scent for plotting and scheming.

It smells dangerous yet comforting (probably because it reminds me of my grandfather who loves his pipe tobacco).

Definately one that is hard to pin down. May take a few tries to decide if it's love or hate. I recommend trying an imp first.

I love this on a man, but it's too dry and dark for me personally.

-Milk

in the vial: WHOA! This is so...OLD...not like old lady or anything, but I mean literally like I've been transported to another time...I totally get the Jack The Ripper vibe...it's medicinal and illegal smelling, like the romanticism of some kind of old world drug. I'm visualizing opium, even though I've never tried it. Must be more of that damned From Hell-ness. :D

on my skin: It smells kind of like band aids and root beer, but in the lovliest way...lol. I'm getting this sort of dark, creepy Victorian vibe...it doesn't hurt that I picture Johnny Depp in From Hell when I smell this, either :D...it's masculine and sexy, and totally mysterious and intriguing and just downright strange. There's something really divine about this. I can't pinpoint exactly what it is that's grabbed the happy part of my brain, but I'm really diggin' this. It's sexy in the weirdest way. :P

This is one I REALLY want a 5ml of.

eta: Ahhh, okay. I get it, clove cigarettes. I have tons of great memories attatched to the aroma of clove cigarettes. Ooh, this scent is making me all squealy and giggly! :bouce: :bounce:

Edited by Effluvia

‘You can’t follow around all day in my languorous wake taking in the nutmeg-y fumes.’ So sayeth the Patsy from Ad Fab. She was under the effects of Estrogen at the time, so ignore her.

This one is VERY interesting. A gourmand scent that doesn’t seem so on the onset. Fresh from the imp the nutmeg is very strong, with myrrh following it up. On drydown the sassafras comes forward, mingling to make a slightly sweet cookie sort of scent. It reminds me of molasses, although I doubt molasses smells like this. It’s vaguely western, with what could be a masculine spiciness. I don’t see it as being particularly non-feminine however. Fig, also, seems to be present even though it is not a listed note. Might be a nice warm, spicy holiday scent for some.

Very spicy and nutmeg-y, with a dollop of a dark scent on application. I suppose this is a bit of a gourmand scent, what with the spices and all, but to me, it really isn't one. The sassafrass comes out and sweetens Laudanum a bit, although it doesn't seem very sweet, just not so heavy spicy. This scent makes me think of sniffing the wool of the heavy brown wool cloak of a monk. Maybe in France, because the spice makes it seem not so British. The nutmeg also makes it a bit mysterious, as if the monks are walking in a narrow dark stone cave/pathway, with a tiny stream/puddle of water in the middle of the path. On drydown, this seems soapy. Brown soap, but soap nonetheless.

Laudanum is pretty much the way everyone else has described it. Medicinal at first but after about half an hour it turns into a yummy rootbeer float. I love what myrrh does on my skin.

at first: i don't know what to say about this. it's just so...intense. i can smell the nutmeg at first, but the other scents sort of swirl around it. it's a very chaotic scent.

on: ewww. like being in the apartment or car of someone who smokes...a lot. i think i smell something a bit licorice-y, too. very odd.

1 hour later: yup. old, stale smoke. this is not nice on me at all.

3 hours later: weird. still stale smoke for the most part, with a hint of licorice at the end. i don't like this.

overall: this just doesn't work for me. off to swap...

Laudanum on me: Nutmeg, but darkened by myrrh, smoky and slightly medicinal, as those above me have said.

This is so interesting...one of those BPAL scents that you really wouldn't find elsewhere. I do get that sinister Victorian-era opium den, gaslights and London fog feeling from it. I don't know if I'll wear it a lot, but I'm definitely going to save this for the atmosphere it creates... it might also be interesting to mix this with Hellfire.

Initially, the myrrh and sassafras are most prominent, with a slightly sweet floral undertone. The sassafras causes an intense but short-lived burst of root beer, which quickly fades to the background, and the nutmeg warms up to the myrrh.

Myrrh remains the strongest note as time passes -- the nutmeg and poppy combine to add a spicy sweetness which, in combination with the backdrop of sassafras, results in a mental image of sipping a creamy root beer float while sitting in a coolly shaded parlor at an elegant, worn, yet beautifully polished dark wood dining table.

Cripes, this is VERY strong! I put on just a tiny smear and it's still bordering on too much. (And it doesn't fade down for me, as other reviewers have mentioned.)

It is thick and dark, heavily spiced and medicinal. The nutmeg is most prominent while it's wet, but it gives way to the other notes as time goes on. I am not familiar with the scents of sassafras or black poppy, but the overall effect here is sharp and almost herbal... if herbal is dark green, this is dark brown. I was hoping for root beer notes, but there's nothing like that on me :P

It's too masculine for my tastes, but I think it would be nice on a man. Not bad, just not right for me.

Laud-anum

Reading everyone's descriptions of Laudinum, I think it's obvious just how much one's own personal chemistry has to do with how BPAL oils smell to us!

On me, for example, Laudanum is strikingly minty. A very bright green (like Ladylatemar so eloquently described,) and then goes straight to something spicy. I know the description doesn't state cinnamon, but on me, that's what I smell. This scent is very intense.

Edited by glampyre

In the bottle: very interesting-- first whiff is definitely medicinal, but in a good way. Cool and smoky. Liking this in the bottle very much.

Wet: the sassafras really comes out, but the smoky quality is still very much in evidence. It doesn't smell root-beerish to me at all, although it *is* very dark and syrupy, somehow. Perhaps that's the poppy.

Drydown: the sassafras mellows out and blends enchantingly with the smoke. The cool, medicinal quality fades.

Verdict: as an example of the perfumer's art, this is amazing. I completely agree with prior reviews that compared it to what Johnny Depp must have smelled like in From Hell. This is what I've always imagined an opium den would smell like, and somehow Elizabeth stuffed that in a bottle. Am *very* impressed.

I don't think I'd order a big bottle, because I think I'd really have to be in the mood to wear this one. It's certainly not an everyday scent for me, and it doesn't scream "sexy" to me, either. Rather, it's for those times when one wants to be coldly mysterious and languid, and maybe a little dangerous. I do think I'll keep the Imp.

Edited to add: I forgot to mention-- my cat, Poppy, freaking LOVES this. Get. Cat. OFF. Me!! *is licked practically to death*

Edited by Azrhiaz

Strong and a little scary in the bottle. This was very smokey for the first ten minutes, smokey and yet wet, like the scent of a fire burning on a cold autumn morning when you first go outside. This has dried into something a little spicier, but that smokey undertone remains making this just a little too masculine for me. Sophisticated but somehow dangerous and a bit sinister. I like it, but it's not something I'd wear a great deal so off to swaps.

Got an imp of this from BrownBat. :P

First sniff:

Sassafras and something spicy. I'm guessing it's the nutmeg. I'm a self-admitted sassafras addict, so this is wonderful. It's one of the only foody scents I can tolerate as a perfume and I wear it with total abandon. :D

Wet on skin:

Sassafras...strong sassafras. The nutmeg is also becoming somewhat more prominent and there's a growing smokiness to it that's absolutely gorgeous. This is a really unusual combination of notes, but it works so well! I'm in love with this one already.

Dry down:

The smokiness and sassafras are fighting for dominance and the result is gorgeous. It's not too sweet or foody and not too smoky and headache inducing. The two blend perfectly.

The bottom line:

I really love this one! I can't believe I didn't try it sooner. :D