Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
paperdoll

Shattered

Shattered: A scent as sharp as glass shards, and as brittle as a broken heart. The formula came to me - quite literally - in a dream, and is named after, and created in memory of, the last poem that I ever wrote… almost ten years ago to the day. A blend of white champagne notes, grapefruit, lotus, slivered mint and crystalline aquatic blooms.

Initial Sniff: I sniffed this without reading the description, and couldn't pick out a single note. It is a little sweet, a little citrus, a little floral, a little sharp... you get the picture! After reading the description, I can pick out all of the notes, but they are masterfully blended!

Wearing: This one stays fairly true on my skin. None of the notes decides to dominate over the others, they all play nicely and smell wonderful. This is a very refreshing scent for the summer, I guess because of the mint and grapefruit.

Final Impressions: This is simply gorgeous. I WILL have a large bottle!!

Upon first sniff of this fragrance, images of cold glass come to mind. Something that can be broken easily, and it definitely invokes it's namesake. Initially I am not able to pick out much as the individual scents have blended very well together. After smelling it for awhile, the only scent I am able to pick out on my own is the mint. I think I caught some of the grapefruit scent, but it was not was not what

I was expecting There was no sense of tartness that I would normally associate with grapefruit. After applying it to my wrists, the scent quickly disappeared, which is just my lousy luck, but I was able to catch a few whiffs of it for awhile, as I was getting ready for work.

Shattered is definitelya summer scent, but it is not your typical refreshing scent. I find it cool and chilling instead and I can see myself wanting to use it year around as I prefer colder weather and images. While it did not last long on my body as a perfume, I am defintitely going to get a larger bottle to use in the bath and maybe even as a linen spray. I enjoyed the scent very much, wish it would have lasted longer on me. It is definitely worth trying out.

First Impression: Mint and menthol, clearing my sinuses like that feeling you get when you first apply Vick's Vaporub.

Second Impression: That menthol scent lingers a long while as sharp aquatic notes start to poke through.

Final Analysis: I had high hopes for this since champagne notes were listed. Utter disappointment that I can't smell it. I don't care for the cold, sharp aquatic notes. This does not smell like me but might make a nice winter room scent when one has a head cold.

in the bottle: i can taste the mint, the bubble gum lotus... beth captured it perfectly when she said "sharp as glass shards," because it smells like something that could easily cut off your tongue, if mishandled.

As soon as I read Beth's description of how she came to formulate this one, I ordered a 5ml straight away :P That's in an order that's still on it's way: but I got a freebie Imp in my recent order anyway, and oh wow I'm so glad I have more coming.

In the vial: Cold and refreshing: I got the mint immdiately, but only after a couple of sniff anything else. However, it's not a single type of mint - spearming or peppermint - more a complex layered minty scent.

On me: This actually cooled my skin when I applied it: wonderful as I was stuck in a hot hotel room without air conditioning :D I put it on just before I went to bed, and was struck by this initial cooling. After a moment or two though, the minty scent evaporated and I was left surrounded by a cloud of irridescent sweetness: I do get the sparkle of champagne as well as a crisper note that must be the aquatics.

Over time: Good grief. Not sure if I can blame this on the scent, but wearing it that night I had the most amazingly vivid dreams. I woke up still smelling wonderful.

Shattered is a really neat scent, it is very strongly mint with a menthol flavor and some other unidentifiable but appealing things going on. I was surprised that this appealed to me as much as it did because I’m not a big mint or menthol fan. Unfortunately I didn’t get a chance to really get to like Shattered because it had faded to unsmellable within minutes of applying it. Literally minutes. I *feel* like it was gone in about 5 minutes but I didn’t time it so I don’t know for sure. It had faded to undetectable by 15 minutes at the very most.

Final verdict: This is a really great smell while it lasts but it fades so fast it is completely impractical as a perfume. It may work as a room scent.

First Sniff

White grapes.

Drydown

On application it's joyous sweet grape juice, not dry champagne. In a matter of seconds the mints come to the fore although the grapes haven't disappeared totally.

After a While

A salty feel is coming in but overall it fades in less than two hours.

Final Verdict

If I sniff my wrists directly I can still detect the sweet grape. I have had little luck with the aquatic blends I've tried (Ingenue and Water of Notre Dame) and sadly this is no different. I love the grape note I get but I don't think it suits me as a whole. Probably will swap.

At first, this is minty and citrusy - white mint, not green mint. Then it dries to something almost like mint chocolate (I know there's no chocolate in it, but that's what it reminds me of).

It's a white, shimmery, sparkly smell that fades quickly, like you threw a handful of glitter in the air and watched it fall. Very pretty, and I think it would be a good New Year's Eve scent somehow.

In the imp: Shattered is a very conflicted, almost painfully manic smell to my brain. It smells like what I'd imagine my brain to be like on overload, only painfully cold like ice.

On me: The mint is sharp and biting, but with a bubbly fizz to it that has to be the champagne notes poking through. It's cold, but starts to warm up as the lotus bubbles up beneath the rest of it.

Completely dry: I smell like... well... you know that Bubble Yum strawberry-banana flavor they had in the late 80's? Like that. And the cold of the mint wore off very quickly, and the rest of it made my arm heat up. Very strange. I like it, I really do, but I don't think it's quite me -- or maybe the manic beginning hits too close to home to wear this as a perfume.

at first: this was included as an extra, courtesy of beth. it smells watery and minty. a very cooling scent.

on: i mostly smell mint. actually, i only smell mint. however, there's something very watery about it, too. it isn't a biting mint; more of a soft, slightly sugary mint. i like it so far.

1.5 hours later: unfortunalely, this has faded quite a bit. i just smell the slightest hint of minty sweetness.

2 hours later: well, this has disappeared. however, i liked it so much when i first put it on that i'm going to give it another shot. i'm off to reapply...

3 hours later (and 1 hour after reapplying): my skin just eats this oil up. sigh...

overall: it's too bad this doesn't work on me because i quite like it. if i don't like it in my oil burner, then i'll have to swap mine away.

This is gorgeous, very fresh and bubbly!

To me Shattered smells mostly of champagne and grapefruit. The mint stays in the background. Yet another BPAL oil whose balance is admirable. The crispiness of the champagne and the mint perfectly counterbalance the tanginess of the fruity notes.

The drydown is delicious, all grapefruit and champagne :P

I am a lucky duck, because while it seems to fade very quickly on most people, on me it lasted a good seven hours.

A keeper. It reminds me of Champagne, that Dior perfume that had to be renamed after the Champagne lobby took Dior to court. Shattered is a much better interpretation of the champagne theme though, less cloying, more natural-smelling :D

Edited by Ishtar

First sniff: Very interesting. White mint and – maybe lime? – with a bit of greenery tossed in, and the whole scent is decidedly chilly.

Wearing: The citrus is sweeter on my skin, and it seems to fade a bit quickly, but Shattered is really beautiful. I'll have to pay more attention to how it changes next time I wear it.

The mint isn't very pronounced in this blend, it's more whispering in the background, but it has an ice cold feel to it. None of the notes in this blend really stand out, but they are in perfect balance. I can smell a note which reminds me of apple, but it isn't in the description. Overall Shattered has a frozen wind feel.

I felt the mint on my skin.

I like the cooling feeling, but that's the only thing I like about this one. it has the smell that reminds me of an old piece of mint chewing gum stuck to the underside of a school table. That's when the mint is there. Then it fades into a soft fruity-ish note that really doesn't go with my chemistry - something like white peach or white cantaloupe. :P

Crisp and minty in the bottle and just as sharp, clear, and cold on my skin. I loved this one from first sniff.

Yesterday the dry down on this was pure grapefruit and mint, a strong cooling scent.

Today, I can get a little more of the champagne and fruit smells, but it's still lovely even with todays apparantly odd body chemistry.

A definite keeper.

In the bottle, Shattered is very minty...mmmm....mint. Its a bright scent, a wake up scent:)

On me it is bright and crisp and very minty. It eases the sinuses even! It reminds me of a Eucalyptus and Peppermint blend that I sometimes use in my bath to ease migraines.

As it begins to dry down, there is that cool, crisp, chilled champagne scent in the background. It reminds me of the Philharmonic show at the Magic Kingdom, when the champagne bottles pop and you can feel the cool air and smell the champagne! I adored that smell from first sniff, and now I'm all happy because I can smell it on myself!!

I adore this!

A very cold scent. Smells like a good piece of gum! It wasn't too sharply mint, however -- it was rounded out nicely and made a bit sweeter by the other notes. Cool/green scents aren't me at all, so I wouldn't wear it, but Shattered is still good. Would be very nice for someone who likes these notes, or for use as a room scent.

Edited by tart

Shattered is the smell of a broken heart. It brings back memories I had forgotten, of sitting in front of open windows in the winter, letting myself get misted with rain as I shivered and the tears half froze on my cheeks, reading old love letters with deep creases.

It is the smell of midnight under the pines by the lake, kissing against the mosquitos until your lips swell and ache, knowing it will soon be over.

It is the smell of the last hug goodbye, the fragile words, that way you hold your chin up and shoulders down, trying to be the ice queen with the bruised peach of a heart out of some beautiful old Baudelaire poem.

It is the sound of the phone never ringing, of the emptiness of not being loved anymore, of never being complete again.

How do you do it, Beth? What kind of gift have you been given, that you can bring something like this crashing down around old scars?

I am just. Just. Damn.

I LOVE THIS!!! It's crisp--not too sweet, not too sharp (like green or white tea). I don't smell any booze. This is really good. I want a gallon of it. It's 105 heat index today & I want to bathe in it.

It bizarrely reminds me of the most fabulous makeout session of my entire life--out in the snow in the moonlight.

I want to fly to LA & wait on the Lab's doorstep until I get some.

Ah, this is really fresh and cool summer-nightish. The grapefruit and mint are a great combo, and the champagne … it's fruity and sweet to me, not like actual champagne IMO, sort of candylike. It doesn't last long on me, would have to reapply, but I'm debating a big bottle because it's wonderful.

Minty, grapefruity goodness indeed.

In the bottle: Green. Lime green. Almost neon, even. It's sweet and tart, bot like an apple. Even sour, maybe, like a too-ripe grapefruit coated in sugar.

Wet: Mint comes out in this one now, and it's a very odd scent indeed. Something like Mad Hatter is, but wetter. Brighter somehow.

Wearing: I'm still not certain of this one, and every time I sniff it I decide something else. One minute I like it, the next I'm shaking my head. I think I'll keep it around a bit, if only to give it one more shot.

Wow...even though I could catch the mint in the bottle, the grapefruit is really what jumps to the top on me -- I think I mistook it for pear at first. It then settles down into a floral blend that is very pretty without being overly sweet. The idea of a "crystalline" scent is very accurate here, because it is sharp, but beautiful and hypnotic. Just gorgeous.

This took some getting used to. It is quite sharp, as the name implies, and kept me on edge. The grapefruit and mint came through very loudly on me, drowning out the aquatic notes, and somehow made it impossible for me to relax while I could smell this. I couldn't wear it at all at work, but at home it was the perfect summer night fragrance for doing my nails, cranking the AC and puttering around the house. It's a very fresh, invigorating scent and VERY different from the scents that are usually described that way - this is quite unique and worth a try.

SHATTERED

Initial: Minty when I sniff the bottle. Like a stick of gum. Minty and sour is the immediate scent when first applied to my skin. Grapefruit immediately takes over the minty sharpness.

During: Oh boy. Sour, sharp, fresh, biting, clean, floral, chilly, clear, glinting in the sunlight. This is a plethora. Like a mind whirling. Liked Mixed emotions. Like multiple personalities. I like this. A lot. I like the way it fills many contrasting greedy needs. Grapefruit is dominant when on my skin. I like that bitter, sour, fresh smell. The mint is spiked throughout. I can feel a soft silky floral peek through every now and then. Or maybe its always there, so quiet, in the background. Just observing.

Final: The mint and grapefruit quiet down a bit and the reserved floral background can finally step forward a bit. It now has a quiet feel to me. Melancholy frosty florals with a bit of sting in the background. This doesn’t last as long as I would like it to. But it doesn’t fade as fast as some either.

This was sharp as glass shards indeed! It was too much for me. I no longer have the imp but my personal notes say 'Mint, eucalyptus, and grapefruit' so those must have been the dominant notes. I'm not sure where I got eucalyptus from, tho' - that may have been my nose's untrained way of picking up the subtle florals others describe.

Edited by k00kaburra