Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Vanilla

Lush to BPAL scent comparisons (BNever included too)

LUSH is my gateway drug; I'm new to BPAL. Anyone have good matches for the Twilight bath bomb? How about Ceridwen's Cauldron? Therapy massage bar? How about The Soft Touch?

THIS! I must find! :wub2:

LUSH is my gateway drug; I'm new to BPAL. Anyone have good matches for the Twilight bath bomb? How about Ceridwen's Cauldron? Therapy massage bar? How about The Soft Touch?

THIS! I must find! :wub2:

Agreed! It smells like a dreamsicle!

Lush sez:

"Full of nourishing oils like lavender and neroli, this body butter especially for hands has no end of conditioning capability. From your digits to your elbows, wherever there's a rough patch, let vanilla and mango save the day and delicately smooth the way for some soft touching. Butters and beeswax and mango, oh my! The spicy-sweet complexity will have you smelling yourself all day (in a good way)."

Oh yesss. .Lush was my gateway drug too.

The Soft Touch is amazing but from what I know it was discontinued. There might be a little left out there. It's an amazing vanilla mango orchid tonka-ish scent. I can't really think of a close match besides for oddly enough Nymphia. Soft Touch has this cooling mango thing.. it goes on feeling cold, IMO!

Twilight BB: I haven't tried TKO but wonder if it compares? I think Aeval would be close, in composition & strength if we're looking at something that has tonka and a sweet soft floral. You might like Twilight the bpal too, but the jasmine makes this much more of a heady floral. Maybe also Paris.

Ceridwen's Cauldron: ooh this is a good question. I'll need to think on that one. Molly Grue is oaty but too spicy. Veil is close but too floral. Maybe if you mixed them!

Can anyone suggest what would be similar to Potion? GC would be best, but anything would be great.

From descriptions, it looks like Potion is mostly carnation with some rose and clove. I really dislike carnation, so I don't have any recommendations, but the Lab has lots of carnation scents to choose from. There is a thread devoted to it: http://www.bpal.org/topic/21410-carnations/

Ya know I think of Potion every time I put on Hod! Smells almost exactly the same to me minus a touch of mandarin that really doesn't come up too strongly in Potion anyways.

Last time I was buying Jungle, the salesgirl said I should try Grass because it "smelled just like Jungle." Now, I didn't buy any because I don't like shower gels and I can't smell anything in the Lush store due to scent overload, but the ingredients listed on the Lush site for them don't seem that similar. Do any of you find them to be similar?

I don't find them similar at all. Grass smells like...well, grass. It's a very strong, green, fresh-cut grass scent with a bit of herbalness to me.

Boy, I'm turning into the comparison naysayer here. :blush: :lol:

Grass and Jungle aren't meant to smell anything alike. Jungle is really fruity, again with the Vetiver, and Grass is Wheatgrass, Neroli, and Bergamot.

Can't offer any BPAL help - I'm a newbie, actually searching for a Grass-y scent!

To date, the only BPAL I have come across that reminds me of a specific Lush product is Sybaris. I have noticed a lot of forumites comparing it to Skinny Dip, but to me, it is a lot closer to Chai shower gel.

I totally agree about finding something similar to Twilight. TKO is way too different (but still amazing, like a lavender vanilla marshmallow), and most lavender blends from virtually anywhere tend to go very medicinal on me.

And I loved the Soft Touch too. Smelled kind of like a vanilla pipe tobacco to me.

I wish BPAL had a strong tonka perfume oil, something that would smell along the lines of Think Pink or Absolution. It seems like every single BPAL with tonka also contains either leather or patchouli (Pussy is an exception), notes that tend to hate me.

I do however agree that any Potion lover should hunt down some Hod. Although they are not exactly the same, both are heavy on the carnation.

Oh, and how I wish BPAL had a Floating Islandesque perfume.

This won't help, but the long since discontinued Corazón reminded me of The Soft Touch a lot, like... years ago.

The Soft Touch is amazing but from what I know it was discontinued. There might be a little left out there. It's an amazing vanilla mango orchid tonka-ish scent. I can't really think of a close match besides for oddly enough Nymphia. Soft Touch has this cooling mango thing.. it goes on feeling cold, IMO!

Twilight BB: I haven't tried TKO but wonder if it compares? I think Aeval would be close, in composition & strength if we're looking at something that has tonka and a sweet soft floral. You might like Twilight the bpal too, but the jasmine makes this much more of a heady floral. Maybe also Paris.

Ceridwen's Cauldron: ooh this is a good question. I'll need to think on that one. Molly Grue is oaty but too spicy. Veil is close but too floral. Maybe if you mixed them!

The Soft Touch was my favorite body butter. I hoarded a couple bars when they said they were discontinuing, but one of the appeals of Lush is the no-preservatives. It also means my last bar of TST is past its expiration date, and aging quickly. Sigh. (it *does* go on cold!)

Thanks for the Twilight BB recs. I'll add those to the list. And Ceridwen's Cauldron - is some serious magic. I think the essential oils are only part of the CC equation - the rest of it is all hot water loaded with diffusing cocoa butter and oats and some kind of cooking spices (maybe?) and it's like soaking in spicy, milky tea. Molly Grue is close; I was considering The White Rabbit to see if that's closer, or maybe Bread and Butterfly.

To date, the only BPAL I have come across that reminds me of a specific Lush product is Sybaris. I have noticed a lot of forumites comparing it to Skinny Dip, but to me, it is a lot closer to Chai shower gel.

I totally agree about finding something similar to Twilight. TKO is way too different (but still amazing, like a lavender vanilla marshmallow), and most lavender blends from virtually anywhere tend to go very medicinal on me.

And I loved the Soft Touch too. Smelled kind of like a vanilla pipe tobacco to me.

I wish BPAL had a strong tonka perfume oil, something that would smell along the lines of Think Pink or Absolution. It seems like every single BPAL with tonka also contains either leather or patchouli (Pussy is an exception), notes that tend to hate me.

Totally agree about the Tonka in BPAL. It appears in most of my favorite scents, and those are primarily sweet scents (vanilla+amber+tonka is the holy trinity of base notes for me).

I've noticed with Lush stuff that lavender appears frequently, but seems to be a fugitive note. Like, you almost smell it, and you smell it in the product at the store, but as soon as you drop it in water it disappears quickly. Which is good because lavender also goes medicinal on me. I had been avoiding TKO for that reason, but I might reconsider.... a lavender vanilla marshmallow sounds kind of delicious! :D

Anyone know of a bpal scent comparable to Big shampoo? I love the smell of that shampoo, unfortunately it's not suited for my hair type. Also, any recs for lily scents (similar to Ghost body wash) would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Edited by bunnybottoms

Totally agree about the Tonka in BPAL. It appears in most of my favorite scents, and those are primarily sweet scents (vanilla+amber+tonka is the holy trinity of base notes for me).

I've noticed with Lush stuff that lavender appears frequently, but seems to be a fugitive note. Like, you almost smell it, and you smell it in the product at the store, but as soon as you drop it in water it disappears quickly. Which is good because lavender also goes medicinal on me. I had been avoiding TKO for that reason, but I might reconsider.... a lavender vanilla marshmallow sounds kind of delicious! :D

Those three are favourite notes of mine too. It just seems so difficult to find perfumes that showcase tonka. Either it is way too far in the background to even notice it that much or it is sitting next to an über heavy polar opposite note that I personally cannot stand.

I'm so weird because for the first few years that I used Lush, lavender always medicinally jutted out at me so it took me years to even dare try products like French Kiss or Waving Not Drowning. I can still smell them once they've hit the water, but I've actually grown to appreciate it in certain products. Love it in AOBS now whereas I hated it before. Don't be afraid of TKO, although I personally recommend getting the massage oil from the Trading Post. Have never tried the perfume oil but I've read that it is more lavendery, hence more medicinal, than the massage oil. You won't be disappointed with the massage oil! It is my favourite lavender-heavy perfume to date.

I can tell you that White Rabbit is different than I thought. The white pepper and ginger notes come out stronger than anticipated. I had an aged imp of White Rabbit that was really mellow.. that might be closer IMO! B&B smelled strongly of salty butter a little dry tea and sugar, to me. Unique, I'd say! :)

The Soft Touch was my favorite body butter. I hoarded a couple bars when they said they were discontinuing, but one of the appeals of Lush is the no-preservatives. It also means my last bar of TST is past its expiration date, and aging quickly. Sigh. (it *does* go on cold!)

Thanks for the Twilight BB recs. I'll add those to the list. And Ceridwen's Cauldron - is some serious magic. I think the essential oils are only part of the CC equation - the rest of it is all hot water loaded with diffusing cocoa butter and oats and some kind of cooking spices (maybe?) and it's like soaking in spicy, milky tea. Molly Grue is close; I was considering The White Rabbit to see if that's closer, or maybe Bread and Butterfly.

Anyone know of a bpal scent comparable to Big shampoo? I love the smell of that shampoo, unfortunately it's not suited for my hair type. Also, any recs for lily scents (similar to Ghost body wash) would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Yep--upthread I noted that Big perfume/shampoo smells just like BPAL's Pirate Moon (I believe 2007).

Re: Porridge soap. For anyone that has smelt it before, do you know if any BPAL smell similar? It is supposedly scented with molasses and oats. It is this glorious creamy, oaty smell that is just awesome!

Edited by ivyandpeony
merged thread so added product name

You could also look for a decant of Gunpowder ("Carrot peelings, hay, chaff, molasses, maple oats, red apples, stable wood, and musk") -- I think that one might depend a lot on your skin chemistry, but maybe worth a try? On me it smells almost exactly like oatmeal cookies. :)

Re: Porridge soap. For anyone that has smelt it before, do you know if any BPAL smell similar? It is supposedly scented with molasses and oats. It is this glorious creamy, oaty smell that is just awesome!

Maybe Dana O'Shee?: "Offerings of milk, honey and sweet grains were made to placate these creatures, and it is that the basis of the scent created in their name." It's definitely creamy and oaty.

I can tell you that White Rabbit is different than I thought. The white pepper and ginger notes come out stronger than anticipated. I had an aged imp of White Rabbit that was really mellow.. that might be closer IMO! B&B smelled strongly of salty butter a little dry tea and sugar, to me. Unique, I'd say! :)

You're right. I got my samples of White Rabbit and B&B. White Rabbit is nice, but there's about 20 minutes of play-doh, then it becomes nearly undetectable except for faint wisps. B&B... smells like Raid (the bug spray) on my skin. :eek: SO SAD! So I'm still searching. And so far, Molly Grue is the best match for me.

Play-doh and RAID?! oh no! hahaha!

You're right. I got my samples of White Rabbit and B&B. White Rabbit is nice, but there's about 20 minutes of play-doh, then it becomes nearly undetectable except for faint wisps. B&B... smells like Raid (the bug spray) on my skin. :eek: SO SAD! So I'm still searching. And so far, Molly Grue is the best match for me.

I'm so weird because for the first few years that I used Lush, lavender always medicinally jutted out at me so it took me years to even dare try products like French Kiss or Waving Not Drowning. I can still smell them once they've hit the water, but I've actually grown to appreciate it in certain products. Love it in AOBS now whereas I hated it before. Don't be afraid of TKO, although I personally recommend getting the massage oil from the Trading Post. Have never tried the perfume oil but I've read that it is more lavendery, hence more medicinal, than the massage oil. You won't be disappointed with the massage oil! It is my favourite lavender-heavy perfume to date.

Yeah! And I like French Kiss and Waving Not Drowning, so I thought "lavender is my friend!" and went in for a full bottle of Oneiroi, which is mostly lavender, and it knocked my socks off. And it fades on my skin, but is still heavily medicinal. ...maybe I'm actually smelling something *else* in Oneiroi; I'm only assuming Lavender is the main note.

...anyway, I'll put TKO on my list. :)

I know! The play-doh wasn't too surprising, considering "play-doh" has its own thread here. But the RAID... And I tried the imp a few times, thinking "maybe it was allergies!" or "maybe it was hormones!" or "maybe I ate something weird!" but no. So far, the stats are stacking up against Bread and Butterfly.

I do have to say, though, that Alice was a total win. :)

Excellent! I haven't worn Alice since I went to see the Tim Burton release. I'll need to break that one out again. I also love Queen Alice. There's a Lush holiday scent out there that reminds me of it but can't remember.

Wish I could find a bpal similar to Champagne Snowshowers! *laments loss of favorite scent*

I know! The play-doh wasn't too surprising, considering "play-doh" has its own thread here. But the RAID... And I tried the imp a few times, thinking "maybe it was allergies!" or "maybe it was hormones!" or "maybe I ate something weird!" but no. So far, the stats are stacking up against Bread and Butterfly.

I do have to say, though, that Alice was a total win. :)