Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
dronzeka

One to Tie, Two to Win

Dewy grass, summer breezes, and dandelion clocks.

Another frimp from the wonderful dpoulsen21.

Light, golden-green and summery. Beautiful grassy dandelions, the same green notes as in Roadhouse without the beer and tobacco. I love this! It vanishes after about 20 minutes, else I'd be hunting down a bottle.

This reminds me so much of The Schoolhouse! Lots and lots of sweet, sharp, fresh dandelion goodness :D Very spring-y. I love these grassy scents so this is a keeper for me. I'll have to test it alongside Schoolhouse to see the difference between them because right now it's almost dead on for how I remember that one.

First sniff: The essence of green-gold summer, grass and hay and sunshine and laughter. I tested this one to wear to a baseball game the next day and I could not be more thrilled with it.

Wearing: It’s so amazing while it lasts, but sadly it doesn’t last long.

In bottle: It is as described, really. A touch of ozone/floral over a strong grass base. The dandelions blend well with the grasses. Wet: The ozone floral is stronger now and it’s reminding me of lightening and tempest. The grass is softer and less differentiated, I also think less interesting. The dandelion is barely detectable. Dry: High end herbal shampoo with a grassy finish. I think the ozone’s gone floral, as often happens.

Origin:

5mL from bombus.

Preconceived notions:

I love the smell of fresh-cut grass, but florals are my arch-nemeses, so I'm hoping this is heavy on the grass and light on the flowers. But, if it's not, dandelions are one of the few florals I can sometimes enjoy the smell of, so it might not be a deal breaker. :)

First sniff:

Super strong fresh-cut grass with just the faintest hint of sweet dandelion in the background. This smells like sitting on our front porch when I was little while my dad mowed the lawn, breathing in that green, dewy smell under the warm summer sun. It's summer in a bottle.

Wet on skin:

This starts out as pure, green grass and then, within a few seconds, starts developing an extremely strong, extremely bitter note that has to be dandelion sap. It smells exactly like the inside of a dandelion stem tastes (if you've never tasted it, they're extremely bitter and the taste seems to cling to your tongue). I'm guessing it must be a skin chemistry thing, since it doesn't seem to be something that other reviewers have experienced, but I'm confused by that since I can wear Roadhouse (which also has dandelion), without experiencing this bitteriness. Maybe the Lab uses more than one kind of dandelion note?

Dry down:

One to Tie fades pretty quickly (within an hour it's all but gone), but the bitterness does ease up toward the last third of its lifespan on my skin and I end up with a soft dandelion blossom scent with a background of green grass. I'm not normally a floral fan, but I actually really like the smell of the dandelion in this. It smells soft, feathery and slightly sweet, just like a dandelion in full bloom.

The bottom line:

I think this one's destined for wear in my scent locket only because I just can't tolerate the ultra bitter stage, especially since the lifespan is so short on my skin. It makes me a bit sad to miss out on the unexpectedly pretty dandelion blossom last stage drydown, but I'm going to have to compromise here. It's either miss that stage or not wear it at all since I know I won't be willing to suffer through the dandelion sap stage.

I do really like One to Tie, Two to Win, though. It's one of those BPAL scents that perfectly captures a nostalgic memory for me. It's childhood happiness in a bottle and, for that, I'm willing to overlook the fact that I'm only going to be able to wear it in a locket.

Okay.... I bought this bottle fresh from the Lab way back when. When it was fresh it was a pretty dandelion scent that turned bitter bitter bitter. So away to the swap box it went. Lately I've been going through the swap box to see what's changed.

On my skin, this has mellowed considerably. It's slightly grassy, but mostly a creamy dreamy dandelion. Sweet, fresh, summery. I REALLY like this. The bitter is nowhere to be seen.

On drydown: Oops! Spoke too soon. There's the bitter. Not much of it, and it doesn't last long. But once the bitter goes away, so does everything else. It's a shame, because the wet stage is so beautiful! It doesn't last very long, but the wet stage is so worth it. I may need a locket, just for this.

The forecast for tomorrow is 97% humidity here and it is not even officially summer in Texas. I say this because first sniff of this, and I decided I needed to wear this tomorrow for a relief from the oppressive Texas humidity. It's sweet, dewy grasses in a bright blue sky, and there's a whiff of spiciness that makes me think of men's cologne catching in the lazy breeze of a summer baseball game which seems fitting.