Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
dronzeka

One to Tie, Two to Win

Dewy grass, summer breezes, and dandelion clocks.

In the imp: oh, hunh. That is indeed a damp-grass-and-dandelions-and florals scent.

On me, wet: Ah, the smell of lying about in a park on a summer's day. A bit perfumey, those florals, though.

On me, dry: grass and dandelions and slightly sickly florals and, somewhere in the background, a fair hint of asphalt.

Verdict: Interesting. I actually have a bottle pending, but I guess I probably will trade it away since I can't see myself doing more than occasionally sniffing at the imp.

This is almost pure dandelion on my skin- green, grassy and a bit spicy. It also has tons of throw for the first hour or so. However after that, it begins to turn to laundry detergent on my skin. :P I will definitely wear this one in my locket, though, because it is a gorgeous green scent- pretty much the embodiment of late spring and early summer. Lovely!

In bottle: Oh! It's summer in the park!

On me: Freshly planty and summery. This is a happy smell. :P Great throw, too.

bottle: dandelion necklaces...even moreso than Roadhouse (which is all summer dandelions on the kids)

wet: the same, even greener.

dry: sun-warmed and dewy, too...

later: this is summer, period. not me, granted, but likely amazing on my rough and tumble boy. (I knew I should have ordered him a bottle!)

My review will be to simply wish Beth would work something very similiar into the General Catalog.

Or to do some more LE's in the same vein as this.

I've got a bottle but could definately go through this in one growing season.

This smells like being outdoors and getting ready for brunch, al fresco. Setting up the table out on the lawn. No food insight yet. A fresh daytime smell.

I think there's a hint of ozone noone else has mentioned. maybe I am imagining it.

Edited by Heavenlyrabbit

Oh, this one is nice. It's fresh and green, but only slightly grassy. It's mostly small spring flowers and dandelions still wet with dew as you walk around barefoot in the damp grass. :P

I only bought two bottles from the Dog Salon and this was my first pick. It is beautiful and sunny and fresh and it immediately perked me up when I put this on today. It reminds me of my sunny San Diego hometown....all those green, perfectly mowed lawns, that hot perfumey air, and the feeling of sun all around you.

This was a burst of green grass at first, but it was sort of sweet and soft. Not as intense as Garden Path with Chickens (my big love in the green/grassy variety). Pure, hazy summer. I adore the dandelions too....they are so fragrant and natural. Like others have said, wearing this is like laying in thick grass while you play with dandelions and stare up at the clouds.

I am loving this today in particular b/c it's so hot here in SF and somehow it doesn't feel like I'm overwhelming everyone around me with perfume. I smell completely uncloying and fresh. BTW, this has a really nice amount of throw. Love this one so much!

i got a partial of this as a frimp from someone :P it's very light, very grassy and i definitely smell the dandelion. a very light, pretty summery scent. not something i would wear a lot, but once in awhile i might put it on.

Problem with freshly cut grass being one of my favourite scents is that it isn't one that most companies will try to recreate, and those that do, generally do a bad job on it. Years ago I loved fresh cut grass candles from Yankees but of course, they were discontinued.

And then other grassy things generally have all sorts of flowers to get in the way - generally when I try scents like this the grass is hidden underneath layers of flowers before being completely overwhelmed and beaten down.

So, moving onto my review.

In the bottle, this is pure green green green. This is the smell of sitting on a freshly cut lawn on a warm spring day (not the height of summer though, the grass hasn't been burnt at all). There are some dandelions there, but they're sitting minding their own business also enjoying the sunlight, rather than plotting how to overcome all the grass.

On my skin, this doesn't change too much. The grass continues to sway gently, the dandelions maybe have a small game of vollyball, but generally everyone plays nice.

Alas, much like the true Scottish summer, the whole picture vanishes much too quickly. Everyone just packs up and leaves before the rain starts muscling in on the scene. Curse scents that work too well on my skin!

Fortunately I'm waiting on a second bottle of this, and may consider purchasing a scent locket just for this one perfume. I love it! :P

In the imp: Green. Clean, fresh, light...

On, wet: Weird. I'm totally getting lilacs.

Drydown: This turns into greet with a side of lilac soap. Not bad, just... Odd. And it fades away in a matter of minutes. Oh well. Off to the swaps.

Oh, this is lovely! I'm glad I was able to get a decant of it.

it smells just like you'd think: fresh and summery. I expected it to smell a bit like Roadhouse, but it doesn't really--while I can imagine dandelions in this, I mostly get a nice green scent, almost like fresh cut hay. It's golden green and happy.

This is such a spot on dandelion-grass smell that it makes me think I’m mowing my lawn. It's fresh, green, cheerful, and sunny. I can see birch trees in the background, small rolling hills and an endless expanse of green lawn with cheery dandelion heads. Beth captured this so perfectly that I’m astounded. It’ll be a perfect scent for the winter months when its dark and snowy, and I could use a blast of summer, which this totally is. Love it!

Edited by cranberry

In the imp: Dandelions! Woo. :P

On Skin: Dandelions and grass. How does the Lab bottle this stuff? There's something about the sharpness of the dandelion that reminds me to Szepasszony

On Drydown: Dandelion, grass and soap. It turns into a soapy, breezey sort of floral.

Verdict: Oh, if the soap hadn't arrived, I'd be extremely delighted. Again, it does remind me of Szepasszony, which is one of the reasons I like this scent. But the soap. Ah, the soap slays me.

One to Tie, Two To Win

In the bottle: Green grass and a sweet summer breeze.

On my skin: Upon application this smells exactly like it did in the bottle: green grass and a summer breeze. It is captured so vividly that it reminds me of lying on the grass, pulling dandelions, getting the dandelion milk on my hands, and later in the afternoon running home with grass stains on my knees. This is the first grass scent (from any brand imaginable) that really works for me.

After a while: The grass scent lightens a bit and the yellow, slightly bitter smell of dandelion comes to the forefront. I don't enjoy this phase quite as much as the early phase. It doesn't ruin it for me but it makes me less inclined to hoarde this. Something about this phase acts as an appetite supressant for me, just as cucumber and melon tend to do.

Overall this hits dead on, and it's perfect for summer and for anyone that loves the smell of grass.

One to Tie, Two to Win

In the bottle: mushed up leaves and wet crushed garden weeds. Reminds me of Cambienne with less blossoms and earth, or of Lush's grassy-scented stuff.

Wet on skin: dandelions, crushed leaves and stems, herbs and grasses.

Dry on skin: oh yes, this is good stuff. It's not the smell of mown lawns that I expected though-there's definitely a cut grass aspect but it's more like crushed leaves and stems and dandelions. it actually reminds me slightly of the crushed green leaves scent I get in other BPAL scents, and it reminds me ever so slightly of the greener aspects of Possets Cambienne. It's incredibly green and fresh, a little dewy, and a tad spicy, with a lovely yellow floral aspect, and a feel of warmth like summer sunshine.

After a while: hmm, this now smells a bit like the lilac-bluebell scent I got from Poisson D'Avril (which turned weird on me, a bit bitter and waxy) with an added bitter-green scent. Very much like Envy's 'herbs' (I got no mint, lime or lavender in that scent). It really does smell like dandelions, crushed and mushed, but it also smells like other flowers and a bitter green stem scent…it's not a bad scent in any way, it's still realistic, but not as fresh as it smelt before. it does risk turning into soap though.

The scent teeters on the brink of soapy and non-soapy. There's another flowery scent to this, almost like lily of the valley or bluebell, it's a slightly waxy floral scent. I now smell dried dandelions, dried up by the hot summer sun, the flower wilted and the seeds all blown away. I also smell dry grasses all around mixed with the remains of green notes and deep green bruised leaves, the grass now smells a little more realistic, I can almost envision a grass stain on my wrist when I smell this…but it's not the lawn scent I hoped for.

Verdict: I love that smell of mown lawns, and I bought this one hoping it would smell like that, and bring back fond memories of playing in the park in the sunshine. The scent is pretty but it's not as wonderful and grassy as I hoped. It does smell grassy but it's not the perfect lawn scent I hoped for. I think there's more of a dandelion scent here, as well as some crushed leaves and herbs, which aren't grass, but smell very green and wet and fresh. The wet stage is very pretty, like dandelions in the summer sun, but I'm not keen on the drydown, when it turns oddly bitter and waxy, a little soapy as well, and reminded me of Poisson D'Avril which also didn't turn out as nicely as I hoped. Strangely it also smelt of dry grasses. It's a nice scent but didn't wow me as much as I hoped it would-and it faded pretty fast, the scent blowing away like dandelion seeds in the breeze. I feel bad saying that it's not living up to my expectations when many people are raving about it-oh well, hopefully the bottle will find a good home.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? just the decant-I don't need the bottle.

If you like this, try: Garden Path with Chickens, Poisson D'Avril, Temperance, Envy

Edited by yeahbutnobut

Green-o-rama, very grassy. Somehow, it manages to feel warm and sunny, rather than cool, the way greens often do to me. It's fresh and light, great for summer. It makes me feel like I should be sneezing, since cut grass does that to me, but of course, this is not the same thing. I get to smell cut grass without allergies!

It doesn't have a lot of staying power and it goes just a hair soapy on me as it wears, but the wildly evocative grass scent is worth it to me, for sure.

Time and budget meant I was only able to get one of the DPP scents, and although there were others that had note lists that seemed more like sure fire hits, I ended up going for this one. I am so glad I did!

At every stage this is pure bitter, milky dandelion and fresh cut green grass. It's light and airy, but warm and it really does smell like pure summer. Luckily, I don't get even the faintest hint of soap and the grass note never does the weird chemical thing that I get in blends like Scarecrow and Coyote. It never morphs away from the gorgeous grass-and-dandelions - a little way into the drydown, the dandelion note mellows a bit and loses some of it's bitterness, but it's still definitely there. There's a generous amount of throw for the first hour or two, and then it clings to my skin for a good few hours further.

This is divine. :P

ONE TO TIE, TWO TO WIN

In Bottle: Grass and gentle meadows

On Skin: What a pretty scent! This is a field of dandelions on a warm spring day. So fresh, so light and so very gentle. I would love this as a linen spray, it instantly relaxes and comforts me. It transports me back to when I was 4 years old and we would go up to the lake. I would collect dandelions and use the heads to smoosh on my face like yellow blush and then peel the dandelion stems and drop them into the water and watch them curl up into curley-cues… I was obsessed in curley-cues even back then… wow… those were the days. Such a pretty scent, I would love to have more. Light throw and average wearlength.

i so wish i had a bottle of this. i was very new to bpal when the dpp series came out and was not yet at the "yay let's spend $30 on a bottle of perfume i've never smelled!" stage, nor did i know what decants were. oh, if only. this is summery, sunshiney fresh-cut grass and dandelion goodness. i am allergic to grass but i love the scent- here i have all the aroma but none of the sniffles! absolutely perfect.

I'm with porcelina, very new to BPAL when this came out, and in fact I didn't even realize DPP was going to go away at some point, 'til I went to find it again and it was gone! This one's been on my wishlist for a long time now, and I'd pretty much given up on finding any until dpoulsen21 frimped me and made my day! :P

It's sooo grassy. So much it smells of beautiful July afternoons, sweating in shorts and a tanktop, picking absently at the cool green grass (even though I know I shouldn't) and winding it into rings, or chaining dandelions. What could a "dandelion" note smell like? Well, dandelions! Really!! Dead on: fresh-green, slightly bitter, milk-sticky fingers, green-and-yellow stains on your clothes, DANDELION.

This is not really a "perfume" for me, so much as an olfactory experience. A personal atmosphere adjuster that takes me to grassy lawns and summer days. I'm sad I'll have to hoard the amount I have, but I guess it's not something I would wear every day anyway, so no use mourning too much. I'm sure there'll be more grassy scents someday. Highly recommended to those who like grass and plants, though!

In the bottle: Green, sharp, and fresh with hints of floral; very grassy/planty.

Wet: Less sharp, otherwise much the same. Definitely grass and dandelion.

Dry: Slightly soapy floral-grass. I like the smell of freshly mown grass, but not so much to wear on its own. Strange that I never amped the florals as I usually do.

This is green and bright orange smelling, it's reminding me of a flower I can't put my finger on at the moment (might be daisies, I can't think, but I have this mental image of these flowers I used to pick as a child, but that's not going to be of any help in reviewing this until I can remember what the bloody hell they were). I'm picking up a kind of verbena and lotus-y vibe from this. It is a very sharp herbal green smell, like pulling up handfulls of grass and snuffing them. Almost sap like quality.

Edited by lilacea

I now understand what all the fuss is about.

At first huff and application, I totally got the green grass and dandelion. Better than Blade of Grass. Better than Down the Rabbit Hole. This is just perfectly balanced between sharp grass and slight sweetness of dandelion.

Sadly, once it dries down, it pretty much vanishes. I would love to have this in a room spray! I live in Los Angeles and we don't have trees and grass here like my home Chicago. But for now, I'll have to treat it like Rose Red and dab it in my hair and on light bulbs.

One to Tie, Two to Win, C.M. Coolidge.
Dewy grass, summer breezes, and dandelion clocks.

wow! fresh dandelion. that's awesome.
very green and herbally fresh.
a dainty, slightly sweet summer dandelion on your skin without the eyesore on your lawn.