Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
nineveh

A Bachelor's Dog

Soft musk, leather, and Brazilian cigar tobacco.

In the vial: soft musk and a hint of sweet tobacco

On skin: The leather note came out as the oil dried down. A sophisticated masculine blend.

A Bachelor's Dog

In the bottle: wet leather.

On my skin: Once again my skin chemistry causes the leather to amp until I can barely detect the other notes. Even though I like the smell of leather, when it amps that far I just feel like I smell too masculine.

After a while: Earlier when the leather amped I was sure the story was over for this, but as time went by the leather actually mellowed out and I started to get an amazing, soft, dry musk. I really like this phase of the scent. While I'm not sure that the leather phase is going to cut it for me, I may choose to pass this along to my husband. :P

I think that this is hte first BPAL blend in which I sniffed the bottle and literally swooned. My world went purple for a second and a huge 'ooooooh!' came out of me. And i was PISSED because I happened to find it at the bottom of the box I had received 3 days earlier from the Lab, and for some reason it had just sat in there in the bubble wrap, and it was the day after it was taken down from the site for ordering.

Simply, this is the most beautiful, sexy, rich-yet-light, tobacco blend I've ever smelled. On me, it's verrrrrrry slightly-almost-butterscotchyvanilla under light smoke and a golden musk. It doesn't really change and it lasts about 6 hours on me.

Through sheer perseverance, I've managed to find a few companion bottles for my original. This and tamamo are the first bottles I've found to be truly hoard worthy for my skin....IMHO, surpassing Underpants and Snake Charmer (which are also awesome, but just don't do much for me). I'm so glad I ordered this one.

A Bachelor's Dog

In the imp: oh wow. A sweet, gentle musk. No leather or tobacco, just a lovely sweet powdery musk.

Wet on skin: now a slightly nutty, dry tobacco note comes out, along with soft black leather and that lovely musk.

Dry on skin: mmm! This is truly gorgeous. I certainly get the Buck Moon comparisons but this reminds me more of Death Cap, with the earthy notes replaced by leather and tobacco. It's that same sweet, light, almost coconut-sandalwood like musk, it also reminds me of Brown Jenkins without the incense. The delightful soft musk also reminds me of Morocco and Bow and Crown (especially the latter, thanks to the leather). So it's a cuddly sweet musk with a suave undertone of leather and a hint of tobacco leaf smouldering away gently...in fact, the smoky pale musk (which also smells a tad spicy-yum!) reminds me of Devil's Night.

After a while: erm, what the? It could just be a trick of the nose or mind. But the more I smell this, the more I smell a hint of dog to this. Yes, dog...but not 'stinky wet dog', more like that 'clean, cute, loveable puppy' smell, under the soft powdery sweetness of the musk. Soft fur and a slight milkiness. It's very subtle, this doggy scent, and could be a skin/nose thing but it's very appropriate! Although the rest of the notes don't smell like anything puppy-like...the tobacco has strengthened a tad and smells less like unburnt cigars and more like subtle smoke, and the leather is sexy and smooth.

After a little while the tobacco smoke fades and disperses, leaving that soft, powdery and fluffy musk behind. It's the olfactory version of hugging an adorable puppy on a leather sofa, it epitomises comfort. There's also a hint of that sandalwood-like, nutty scent I got in Death Cap.

Verdict: I'm so glad I bought a 5ml of this one...it reminds me of some of my favourite leather, tobacco, and light musk scents. Almost like a mix of aspects of a few of my favourite scents-such as Devil's Night, Death Cap, Bow and Crown, Buck Moon, even a hint of Morocco makes an appearance. But thankfully the scent is also quite different to those. For starters, this scent fits the name perfectly. The musk in here has a fleeting hint of something canine about it-how does Beth capture the scent of a dog? Thankfully it doesn't smell of wet dog (and believe me, I hate that smell), but it reminds me of puppies...the scent makes me think of a well groomed gentlemanly dog lying on a leather sofa, the smell of cigars lingering on his fur. Warm, comforting and cuddly musk, soft and furry and loveable, but given a suave, sophisticated edge from the leather and tobacco. This is a really cosy scent but the black leather of course makes it a little bit sexy. This seems like a stunning scent for both men and women. A new leather-musk love of mine.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? yes! So glad I bought a bottle-this is a lovely comfort scent.

If you like this, try: Death Cap, Bow and Crown of Conquest, Brown Jenkins, Loviatar, Devil's Night

Edited by yeahbutnobut

This is very smooth and soft, the kind of smell you might find in your wealthy uncle's home office, the smell of expensive tobacco, leather, and a hint of a warm, brown musk. It's rich and deep, pleasant, and not at all overbearing.

On, it's softer yet, a scent that could be the essence of your oddball aunt who used to be a pilot for an international crime syndicate, but has now settled down to run her own small business: an artefact smuggling ring.

The leather blooms after about ten minutes, as the sweet musk settles down, and then this scent grows its teeth. You all know what leather does to me. This scent is no exception. It's a wonderful blend, because the softness of the musk and tobacco really give this one an air of civilized danger. It's much less aggressively sexual than most leather blends, and more subtle.

I have been hesitant to review this because it is so fan-friggin-tabulously good! :P I was wanting to keep my fan girl rants on this smellie on the DL, so I could get my greedy Gretchen paws on as much as I can find. :D

Since I have a few bottles now, I think I can let the cat out of the bag. (or rather, the DOG) If you like Perversion or Spanked. You have to get a bottle of this. IMO, this is even better!

This is drop dead sexy, and is very unisex. My skin amp's amber, musk, and vanilla and has a tendency to sweeten up scents. So, the tobbacco notes stay at bay, and are so well blended that it just adds a spicy nuance to the whole scental experiance. The leather note in this is reminicent of the leather in Perversion, but warmer... more subtle. I could bathe in this stuff.

5/5 goes off to stare at bottle adoringly :D

I love this scent. It really does remind me strongly of Buck Moon, especially at first. At first, it’s all smooth, sweet musk, velvelty and warm. As it wears, the tobacco and leather come out. It’s a fantastic combination. This is more masculine than Buck Moon but still is fairly unisex. It sticks close and on me is very much a skin-scent. The oil itself seems moisturizing and adds to the velvety impression. Delicious!

And this would be mindblowing sexy on a lover.

initial sniff:

creamy skin-musk or white musk with soft woody/sandalwood notes drifting about.

on me:

something quickly turns into cedar.

i never do get any cigars or tobacco... or leather.

but i do get a bad, nasty headache.

In bottle; Rather soapy, nut the musk/leather tobacco combination is pleasing. Wet: Mostly leather, yummy, yummy leather. The cigar tobacco turns it slightly sour. I am thinking old leather chair in a gentleman’s club. Dry; I’m really liking this. The musk balances the harsher scents into something nigh perfect on me.

This is such a leather and smoke scent. Really. It's like sitting in a leather chair in a cigar shop.

If you fancy that, this is totally your scent.

Very soft and pretty for such a manly sounding scent. Softest white musk, kinda like a China musk, very soft leather and slightly sour tobacco. Powdery and close to the skin. I'm getting touches of something almost lilac, very faintly behind the tobacco.

This is exactly as the notes indicate:

Tobacco and leather with just a touch of sweet musk.

If you like tobacco and leather... this is the blend for you...

As it dries the musk comes out more and it gets sweeter and sexier and less in your face than the initial tobacco-leather

I bought this from a forumite unsniffed figuring that if I liked tobacco and leather it'd be ok on me. I was wrong... this is NOT ok... it is DIVINE

I literally put it on to go to bed so I can hace sweet smelling dreams

Someone was lovely enough to frimp me a half imp of this!

It goes on so soft that I can barely tell I've put anything on. The musk in this definitely seems to be skin musk. The sweet edge of tobacco quickly emerges, followed by rich, polished leather. Once dry, the leather takes over and provides a light, masculine, cologne-like quality. The tobacco remains sweet and rich, and doesn't go smoky/ashtray, and the musk keeps the scent grounded. It smells very much like a swanky classic men's room -- cologne, cigars, and a smooth leather couch. It's a soft, subtle scent, probably unisex on the side of masculine.

Try it if you like: Nanny Ashtoreth, De Sade..there are a lot of other points of comparison, but right now, they elude me.

This smelt just like perversion when i first put it on, being a big perversion fan that's a good thing. Then it mellow's out into a softer but still sweet leather like perversion's more laid back older sister! :wub2:

I swapped for a bottle of this one unsniffed, based on the scent description alone. I just love tobacco. Of any sort. And I like a variety of scent types, but tend to prefer gender-neutral/masculine scents most of all.

And boy am I happy I swapped. This is fantabulous. It's got great throw and wear-length for me - surprising considering the original reviews! Almost everything I wear stays close to the skin, but this one I can smell for several hours *without* always huffing my wrists. Hooray!! When wet, the most dominant note on me is most definitely the musk, but there's depth added by the sweet tobacco. The tobacco balances out the musk as it dries to become very prominent. And it is most certainly a sweet cigar tobacco on me, not a dry or sour cigarette tobacco. It's just a wonderful scent - wet or dry. It smells comforting and everyday, but it's also rich, sexy, and sophisticated.

I don't really get much leather, but that's okay with me. I'll take tobacco over leather anyday. :yum:

Wet, this was predominantly cigar tobacco. As it dried, all of the elements of this scent came out and blended seamlessly. The musk wasn't overpowering in the slightest and added a wonderful depth to the tobacco and leather. The leather wasn't the shiny patent leather I get from Western Diamondback, but more of a beaten up, soft leather. It is a warm and beautiful blend. Comforting and a little masculine, but not overly so. The result is rich and musky.

OMG! :thud:

I *just* promised my imp of aBD as a frimp with a swap, after it had been sitting in my swap pile for over a year. So I thought I'd test one last time. I don't like leather and I don't like cigar smoke, or the "smoked" variety of smoke.

But I friggin LOVE this! :wub2:

The musk is exquisite, the leather is soooo soft, like an old, well-loved, well-worn pair of gloves. The tobacco is really understated on me.

Awesome blend. Maybe not for me, as I'm usually more girl/woman in my perfume, but I would LOVE to have a bottle of this, for the right guy. I would love to snuggle up close to a guy smelling like this. :wub:

I'm heartbroken that I discovered this gem so late, but I won't go back on my word. Off it goes to its' promised new home.

Edited by ifinena

Sniffed: Yellow oil. Uhh...coconut? Lots of musk, and very light tobacco, not smoky or harsh or bitter. Not really getting any leather. Very light on the whole, a little cologney and masculine.

Wet: Same. I also almost get lilac, too. This reminds me loads of Ashlutum with the cologney lilac/coconut combo. It's a little smoky now, more distinctly cigar tobacco with a slightly bitter edge. If I inhale deeply, I get some slick-powdery style (De Sade) leather below.

Dry: Very slow to dry. Still coconutty/lilacy, and almost a little soapy. More smoky/harsh over time, but not to an unpleasant degree. Definitely masculine. The leather remains light, but I am getting more musk.

Later: Mostly stale, smoky cigars (reminds me of the note in Champagne & Cigars) with masculine musky cologne and plasticky/chemically leather. Fortunately, low throw on me.

Summary: Cologne and musk with smoky tobacco and polished leather. The tobacco does smooth out after several hours as the musk emerges more and more.

Edited by fairnymph

Bottle: Dry men's cologne

Wet: Tobacco and leather

Drydown: Sweet tobacco and leather. At first, the tobacco is stronger, but after about 45 minutes, the leather becomes dominant.

Overall: I really like this. I'm glad I got a bottle. It's a masculine scent, but luckily I like them and can wear them (usually). This is exactly how I would expect a tobacco/leather blend to smell. It's intoxicating. :wub2:

hmm at first this smells slightly like a snuffed out cigarette...not too inviting. however, that fades quickly and then there is a soft musky tobacco scent which is quite nice. now that it has been on my skin awhile i'm getting vetiver, leather and tobacco. or a vetivery-leather...not sure. it's leathery, but with an added oomph, which is making me think of vetiver. this is nice, and i'd like to smell it on my boyfriend, because i'm not sure how much i'd wear it.

On the skin: I can smell each note! Old leather, musk, and sweet tobacco. I think this might be the leather from Bow and Crown of Conquest. It isn't too strong.

Sadly this one starts to turn to burnt cigarettes on my skin. Ah, well. Not for me.

Eeek, can't believe I haven't reviewed this yet. I first got a bottle when the series was live, but years and swaps later I found myself with just a tiny drop or two left. Luckily I found one on eBay..

This is one of my favorites of that series. Smoky ashtray, leather and musk, plus like others I also smell coconut even though it's not listed. Unfortunately I get a headache if I sniff too much for too long, but on my husband it is divine.

Origin:

RAOK from a generous forumite. :wub2:

Preconceived notions:

I'm drooling over the description of this one. I love the smell of cigars and I'm a musk fan. Leather is hit or miss, but combined with these notes, it should play nicely here.

First sniff:

Much softer than I would expect from a scent with this list of notes. Yes, it says "soft musk," but I wasn't expecting the whole scent to be so soft and gentle smelling. I was anticipating more of a strong "gentlemen's den" type smell, but A Bachelor's Dog is much lighter than that. It's mainly musk at first sniff and reminds me a bit of Ivanushka, but with some very light tobacco added.

Wet on skin:

Similar to the scent in the imp, but I swear I smell coconut now. I have no idea where that's coming from, but I'm getting a definite coconut vibe. Looking at the other reviews, it looks like I'm not the only one, so at least I'm not crazy. :lol:

This is a clean musk scent on me, with creamy coconut and very soft tobacco. No leather to be seen just yet.

Dry down:

The leather has come out a bit now, but it's still a very soft, light scent. It's in the same extended family as Ivanushka, but they're definitely not dupes of one another. A Bachelor's Dog has a noticeable tobacco note (although it's much less intense than the one in, say, Herr Drosselmeyer or Hellfire), some leather and that inexplicable coconut note that Ivanushka is lacking, plus the musk is slightly cleaner smelling.

I wasn't expecting the sort of scent that A Bachelor's Dog turned out to be (which has happened with several of the Dogs Playing Poker scents, but I really like it anyway. :D

The bottom line:

Surprisingly light for such a heavy sounding scent. Lovely and soft but gender neutral to masculine. I wish I knew where the coconut was coming from. The Brazilian cigar tobacco, maybe? It's not my favorite part of the scent, but I don't mind it, either.

How nice to get a "vintage" blend on Etsy!

In bottle: light perfume-y alcohol

On skin: musky brown leather

Half-hour later: sweetened up just a tad with something powdery

In conclusion: this was a "maybe" when released back in '07, but ultimately I didn't buy as I was afraid I would smell too much like a bachelor. But this is quite sweet, which must be the tobacco. I've been wearing this all week, enjoyable light musk.

This is one of those scents that is so beautiful in it's simplicity! I can smell each note, and a tiny bit of coconut which isn't listed. It's the same dry coconut husk that was in Blood Pearl. Perhaps it's the Brazilian cigar tobacco that's giving it the tropical note? Leather is a note that's hit or miss but this one is so smooth and the soft musk is to die for. I love the dog-smoking-cigar label. :heart: