Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
requieminblack

Monster Bait: Bloody Mary

Why waste time chanting her name in the mirror 13 times? Bedevil your next slumber party the easy way! Chunky, glistening red fruits with sweet cream accord, black clotted cherry, and powdered sugar!

Got this one because I had to order something named after Bloody Mary. Have I mentioned that's my favorite ghost story?

In the bottle it's very strong, intimidating, and almost medicinal. On, it's like some kind of old-fashioned cherry candy dipped in some booze - rum? - with strawberry or maybe apple in the background. There really is something that's almost like powdered sugar. It's actually a little off-putting at first, kind of plasticky, or, like someone else said, overripe to the point of starting to rot, but that dies down some as it dries. It's a little malevolent-smelling in a good way, which is appropriate enough. I know what the fruit is now too, it's red currant and some strawberry. It's reminding me of something too, of somewhere I've been. It's reminding me of old houses, really. I guess I'm weird or something. I like it pretty good, so it's a keeper. Edited by Shollin

Wet, it's all sticky cherry like a Cherry Sweet Tart, but on, the cream comes out and the sugar's just perfectly powdery, and it's sensual. Mr. A thought Centzon Totochtin smelled like cough syrup on me; when I shoved my Bloody Mary-slathered wrist under his nose and asked him if this one was like that, he got this glazed look on his face and said, "Oooh, not at all!"

She's a winner.

A.

:P

Monster Bait: Bloody Mary is my dream come true! Chunky red fruits indeed! It's cherry, it's strawberry with confectioners sugar. Sweet and juicy and a little creamy.

Strawberry cream pie comes to mind. Treat #1 also comes to mind, except that instead of watermelon, it's cherry and strawberry candy - chewy candy, like cherry or strawberry flavored Starbursts.

I looooove this. Yum!!!

In the bottle, it smells like thick, cooked cherries and strawberries, with a creamy base.

Wet, it becomes much sharper, like sour cherry candy.

As with most scents, it seems, the sharpness gradually fades as it dries and as the scent morphs. Dry, it smells like tart cherries, nestled in a creamy base. From a distance, I catch a waft of vanilla carrying tart cherry. The cherry scent itself isn't so sweet, so it balances the sweet cream well.

The throw is light. I don't know about the longevity yet, but I think it's one that will have short to average staying power.

I tried this on before eating dinner, and it really didn't help! A nice fruity and foody scent, but not overwhelmingly so. I'm not sure how many occasions I'll have to wear it, but I'm glad I got it! It might be perfect for certain EGL outfits.

At first this is SO strong. It has a very tart cherry with cream supporting it. Lovely mingling between the two. As this dries, the cherry tones down a bit and the creaminess gets stronger. At this point the blend is at its best for me, creamy with a touch of tart cherry. I thought this was going to be too sweet for me, but I was wrong.... it's perfect just the way it is. I like this a lot & I will keep this cherry tart for when I want to feel extra girly :P

i love this! the red fruits smell amazing - like warm cherry compote...cherry liqueur...hot cherry pie...this is a nice warm cherry scent. on my skin it gets a bit more candy-ish, like an old-fashioned tart cherry hard candy, dusted with sugar. i don't get much cream, it just stays a nice, tart, juicy cherry, with a touch of spice. the more it dries, the sugar increases, and i suppose it does get a touch creamy. so nice! i really can't get enough of this one - it's clearly the winner out of my last order. this one will get lots of use.

chunky, clotted black cherry is a perfect description from the lab...

once applied powdered sugar and the darkest, sweetest cherry blend comes forth... :D

no creaminess for me...

lots of throw this is a super fun scent from the lab...and i betcha it ages to perfection

as well... :P

Powdered, candied cherry. Thank goodness it's not that dark, medicinal cherry, but this also just isn't that "cherry pie" scent I dream of. I like that I can actually detect the powdered sugar cause I was thinking, "What in the world does powdered sugar smell like?"

I'm not sure what it is I want Bloody Mary to be. I'll keep half a bottle, but I really don't crave any more than that.

this is tart and fruity and buttery to me. when i put it on i get a kind of rich, juicy candied cherry scent i can almost taste and as it dries it stays fruity, creamy and delicious. it's not what i expected, but it's good. i think my boyfriend will love this as the highest compliment he can pay is, "that tastes/smells like cherry cough syrup." (it doesn't smell medicinal to me at all, though.)

Edited by porcelina

Monsterbait: Bloody Mary - This is a beautiful scent. It's a smooth, creamy blend loaded with heavy, dripping, syrupy cherries, yet it doesn't have any of the light frou frou aspects of a typical cherry vanilla scent. It's darker, deeper, richer, and heavier. This is the scent of fresh sliced cherries smothered in powdered sugar until the sweetness draws the fresh, tart juices out of the cherries, forming a natural, sweet syrup. This is the scent of those same fresh cherries with rich cream drizzled over them and served on a bed of marscapone cheese. It's an elegant dessert for grown-ups and is most certainly not one of those light, fluffy, desserts for little girls in pink tutus. The throw is moderate when first applied, but the wear length is quite short, so the throw decreases quickly as the scent dies off my skin. Still, it's good enough for two bottles. Yum!

Oh boy! Of course, I tried to materialize Bloody Mary as a kid with friends in my bathroom, in the school bathroom, in my grandparent's bathroom, as we believed we might get different results at each location...lol. I just had to have this....

It lived up to its name! I get cherry Kool Aid and maple in the bottle and on my skin, the maple comes out more on the skin. Delicious and, in a way, enticing! :P .

Edited by violet_twilight

BLOODY MARY

In Bottle: Sweet cherries

On Skin: Hmmm… the cherry is very heavy here. Almost like a cough syrup. Very dark, very juicy, very very dominant. The powdered sugar is barely there sadly, that was the note I was looking most forward to. The cream sweetens the scnet and gives a nice creamy edge, but the cherries still are top dog. The cherries are almost too dark… sort of turning… overly ripe. I have a vision from the smell, holding overly ripe cherries and them turning to mush in my hands, the dark liquid dripping all over. This is not a cutesy candy cherry to me… this is like the evil apple from Snow White. Dark, scary and evil. Tainted with evil… yes. It’s interesting but not a scent I’d wear. Medium throw and average wearlength.

This is great!! A sweet, red, fruity, sugary scent. This smells very much like cherry when it's first applied; a dark, evil, over- ripe cherry. There is a beautiful creamy, sugary, white undertone, but the deep fruits are still center stage.

On the dry down: The cherry note mellows out a bit, and the lovely white creaminess becomes the main attraction. This stage reminds me of a white frosted cherry cupcake. Just beautiful!!

This is certainly my favorite of the three new Monster Bait formulas. I love it, I am so glad to have a bottle!! :P

In the bottle: scarily sweet, like a jar of maraschinos in dark sauce.

On wet: very strong cherry, very sweet and foody.

Dry: Aaaah, creamy creamy! Sweet and creamy with a darkfruit glaze. Yum.

Throw: medium

Staying power: amazing. Lasts for hours and hours in that delicious drydown stage.

Cherry flavored hard candy! :P

Sweet and tart at the same time with decent throw and lasting power......I wore it the whole day yesterday and only had to reapply once.........

Lovely!

Wet: I love this. It's overly ripe cherries and vanilla with... it almost smells like almond in there somewhere. Gorgeous and succulent. I don't even like foody scents and it's gorgeous.

Dry: Unfortunately, this scent only stays on my skin for a few hours before turning into cream with the slightest bit of cherry sweetness underneath, but I have to press my nose to my skin to get that. Drat!

this was a quick morpher--plasticky fruits, to softly sugared berries, to 'where did i dab bloody mary again?'

once you get over the icky beginning and start enjoying the scent, it's already on the fade. will have to try this one again, with a bit more slathering. there should definitely be more bpal cherry scents :nods sagely:

In the bottle: cherry jam.

Wet: ooh, decadent stuff! Still getting loads of cherry but there are other juicy red fruits in here now too.

Drydown: yep, still smells like a syrupy cherry dessert.

I wasn't sure about this one in the bottle, but after trying it out I like it quite a lot! I think it'll be a nice one for when I'm going out to a goth club and want something suitably juicy and decadent without being too heavy and musky.

In the bottle: Fruity, but in a slightly tart way. There's sweetness to it, but with a sharp edge.

On skin: It stays close to the scent in the bottle for the first couple of minutes, but then it begins to morph. It loses the tartness and sweetens. In fact, it sweetens a lot, and my hand happily smells of cherry/fruity lollipops, but it a good way. It doesn't do the fake fruit thing that Jailbait and Pink Phoenix did on me, but instead it's just a gorgeous candy sweetness.

The scent stays at this stage for a while before morphing again. And as much as I enjoyed the fruit candy stage, this is even better. It reminds me of Faith, which which is a beautiful sweet, creamy violet on my skin, only Bloody Mary replaces the violet with cherry. Soft, creamy cherry sweetness...this smells so very good, no longer like lollipops. I'm a little disappointed that it seems quite faint and sticks close to my skin, though. However, that may have to do with testing it on my hand, where scents tend not to last that long due to handwashing, etc. I'll have to experiment and see. Definitely keeping my bottle, and I'm considering looking for some more.

In the imp: Oh man... Sweet and buttery and creamy, with a sweet and tangy pink candy smell. It's literally making me drool. :D

On, wet: Something creamy and vanilla and lovely with that same pink cherry candy underneath.

Drying: It's still beautiful, but softer and slightly less foody now, which wasn't what I was expecting. It's actually a light, wearable scent. The liquor is coming out a teeny bit as well.

Dry: This is still really nice, but not as strong as I had hoped - it's definitely a soft one on me. It's like cherry pez behind some fluffy vanilla somethings. I know that made no sense, but it made sense to me, haha. The tartness of the cherries and the slight liquor scent keeps it from being too sweet.

Final Verdict: I am so glad I ordered a big bottle of this from the lab - I can't wait for it to come so I can douse myself in it. :P

ETA: I've now had two people tell me I smell like cotton candy, and a third tell me I reminded her of her cotton candy scented My Little Pony from childhood. So...cherry cotton candy it is!

Edited by captainoats

In the bottle, this smelled alarmingly like cherry cough syrup.

Wet, though, it morphed into slightly overcooked cherry jam. I know this scent from a time when I let it simmer a bit too long... Misgivings.

Drydown: oh, wait, it's going to cherries jubilee, and the cherries are smelling fresher!

Dry seems to be a combination of fresh tartarian cherries (the big juicy black ones) and cherries jubilee - the creamy cherry glaze sort of quality, with maybe a bit of red wine cooked into it. Interesting how I'm getting two separate cherry notes, here. Alas, it lasts less than two hours, though. Still, it's very nice, because I'm a cherry fiend, and happily eat my way through cherry season. This deals with some of those cravings. A definite keeper.

In the bottle this smells like Sucrets to me. I figure though that you can't judge a BPAL from its bottle smell and I slather some on.

MISTAKE! Within five minutes this is amping to a crazy degree and it is making me a bit nauseous. I had no luck with Groundhog Musk, or with Fire Pig, I should have known. It gets to be such a strong chemical fruit-mess on me (not cherry, not any specific fruit, more like the generic fruit of 'pink medicine with flavoring that makes it worse') that I scrubbed it off and I still have a headache. Woe. Getting rid of this bottle asap.

Bloody Mary is tart and sweet, cherries and sugar, very appealing to me. It's a deep scent, too....with substantial throw and endurance. I am picking up just a hint of something darker or spicy way down in the scent. I didn't really smell the cream accord, unless it's just melding with the powdered sugar.

I have no idea where or when I would wear this since I'm a guy....I guess wherever I feel like! :P I think this might be great layered with some kind of deep, dark musk, and I have CBMusk on the way so maybe I'll try that. Also, I think this would be an awesome scent with a Count Dracula costume, for some reason, even better than the actual Count Dracula scent (although I love that scent, anytime, anywhere!). And finally, on its own, I found it strangely a comforting scent, in much the way that Sugar Skull is comforting to me. It would be a nice scent to just relax with after a rough shift at work (which is exactly what I did today).