Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Swarthy and vibrant! An elegant, full-bodied scent that ignites all the darkest passions. Bold red wine, mimosa, and a trickle of clove.

First sniff from the bottle- Blueberry? Spicy blueberry?

After 10 minutes- I think wine scents really work well with my body chemistry because this is divine! It smells of clove mulled sweet white wine mixed with fresh blueberries. I am not sure where I am getting the blueberry smell from. Maybe that is the mimosa?

After 30 minutes- OMG this is amazing. Clove, clove, clove and blueberry wine! Someone mentioned Sangria...yes, that's it! Except it is spiced with cloves. God, I could get high off of this! I am tempted to pour this over my head and roll around on the floor like a cat in catnip. Purrrrrrrr.

Summery- Old Madrid is teh yum. :P

Old Madrid has been one of my favorite scents since my BPAL beginnings.

It is a rich, full scent mingling red wine with cloves. The mimosa adds an extra bit of sweetness.

I adore this scent because it is simultaneously delicious, comforting, and sexy.

This scent remains the same in the bottle, on my skin, and upon drydown. It also has enough staying power to get me through most of a workday without requiring reapplication.

In the bottle this was so medicnal sweet....I agree.

Wet it was very sweet and I thought for sure it was going to be a new fave and go well with LUSH Rockstar and Candy Fluff

But now as its drying down the cloves are coming out and I think its giving me a headache.

Strong clove and cinnamon notes tend to make me nauseous and have headaches.

Smells like grape soda in the imp. On my skin the mimosa comes out, which is lovely. This is very much a drinking fruity girly cocktails at a garden party sort of scent to me.

Hmm. Lovely, but unfortunately I want to drink this rather than smell like it. Off to the swap pile, Madrid is just too candy-sweet for me.

Wow, holy crap -- all I can smell in the vial are the extra-tangy Sweet Tarts.

Once on me, it stays candy sweet for a while, then becomes a soft incensey fruit & clove scent.

It's a little too cloyingly sweet for me, though, alas! There's something that just smells... acridly sweet on my skin here.

Madrid.

A little disappointing. First sniff was grape soda. I don't smell wine. Which is great because I don't want to smell like I've been drinking at 10 am.

As soon as the grape soda opens the curtains it's in-your-face clove. After the clove fades it becomes this powdery grape-spice candy scent, a lot like those valentines candy hearts--but the green one that is a little spicey (or is it the purple one?). Not so much medicinal, but definitely candy.

Anyway, I'm not entirely sure I like this. I was intruigued by reviews saying it smelled like Sangria--but the sangria I've had before must have been more fruity. Maybe I should save it for summertime.

Wow, this is some funky stuff! It starts off as super-sugary pink bubblegum on my skin. Then it switches over to spicy, almost burnt cloves. Then it briefly went through a grape bubblegum phase.

Now it has settled into bubblegummy baby powder overlaid with a biting, burnt spice. I can't recognize it as clove now- it smells the same as whatever went wonky on me in Sugar Cookie. Actually it's becoming more and more baby powder as time wears on. Alas, not for me.

(Old) Madrid:

Wet, in the imp: Juicy Fruit gum.

Wet on me: The boldness of the fruityness fades, and the clove starts to make its presence known.

Drydown: The wine really comes through during the drydown.

Longterm wear: Well, my husband summed up Madrid as "It smells like oranges, then old leather furniture, then shit." I detect the clove above all, but he doesn't. Doesn't look like I'll be keeping Madrid.

Madrid

In the vial is smelled somehow like bubblegum. I can't figure it out, maybe the grapes?

On, it smelled immediately of grape juice and cloves. It smelled nice, but nothing spectacular on me. It lasted only a short while, and smelled predominantly of the cloves before disappearing completely.

Nice, but not for me.

Wet, this is a very intense artificial fruit smell. Like when you initially bite into a gum ball and catch that blend of sweeter than sweet fragrances as they hit your tongue.

On my skin, I’m catching the grape soda that others have mentioned. But it warms quickly and the spices come through. It’s *very* light and I think my skin just ate most of it in a matter of 5 seconds. What remains is a spice (which doesn’t really strike me as clove as it’s not particularly vibrant. But I can't place it otherwise, so no further information from me there) and artificial grape blend.

I think I’m understanding the reference to Play-Dough as that plastic (it also makes me think of A.B.C. gum when it’s been chewed down to a kind of grey tasteless mass) smells seems to overpower everything else.

I’m not done with this one as I’d really like to see how the oil burns as a room scent. But it doesn’t seem to mix well with my chemistry.

In the bottle: Grape Kool-Aid. No, seriously, it's Grape Kool-Aid. Not just any Grape Kool-Aid, either, this is the kind with the fake sweeter my mom used to get me because she didn't want me adding real suagr to it. It smells just like the powder.

Wet: Grape Kool-Aid and clove. This is kinda nasty. It's like aged Kool-Aid. Maybe that's the wine. It doesn't smell like wine, though. It's...it's like a grape version of wassel in that it has the same kind of spice background note to it.

Dry down: Yeah, Grape Kool-Aid meets wassel. Not the best smell in the world. It's kinda like a candle, though. Some grape spiced candle.

Dry: Spice grape that is being eaten by my skin. It's not something I'd wear, but it also doesn't require washing off and at the rate it's being devoured (like after 3 minutes it's almost gone) it'll be gone soon.

:P My imp of Madrid was a fresh gift imp straight from the Lab!

Madrid smells like grape candy with cinnamon added. An uncommon palate. It gets spicier as it dries.

Upon application, this has a very sweet, syrupy red grape scent. Later a spicy clove/cinnamon smell appears, and takes the edge off the sweetness. You’re left with a warm blend of red wine and spice. Does mimosa smell like oranges? Because I don’t smell any citrus in this. It’s really making me want to go drink some fruity red wine.

Since I'm trying to catch up on reviews, I've been trying on scents and writing down impressions before I read other reviews, or even the description, which has been an interesting exercise because often my nose is quite off.

Not on this one though.

In the bottle: grape! Ack! Grape candy! Not my favorite.

On me, it becomes more like wine--with a bit of spice. Cinnamon? No, its not strong enough. I didn't write down what I thought it might be, but it seemed nice, light spice. I wasn't surprised then to see cloves and wine in the description.

It fades quickly on me, and goes slightly powdery. Perhaps that is mimosa, which I have not smelled before.

It faded fast, within two hours, and though my initial response was NO!, it got better. Still not me though. Off to swaps.

In Bottle: Sweet wine.

On Skin: Wow! I’ve never smelled a wine scent this sweet, almost bubblegummy. The mimosa blended with the wine must be the reason. The clove is soft, warm and spicy. This scent is very delicious… foody and comforting. It feels like curling up in front of the fireplace after a good meal. Another scent I’d rather use as a room spray than wear.

After 10 minutes, the clove becomes a bit overpowering and this scent turns yucky on me.

In the vial: Yeah, I do kind of get the cough syrup thing, but I also get bubble gum. Fresh, candy coated Double Bubble bubble gum. This is, I think, due to the clove, as I got the same thing from Blood. It's not an unpleasant smell at all, though.

Wearing: Alright, cough syrup is gone. Now I'm left with lovely clove and a lot of sweetness, which is probably the mimosa. Very oddly, I get no wine--odd because that note usually really, really dominates on me. This is a scent that, to me, reminds me of air in a humid area with lots of fruit trees. I can almost feel a cool breeze cut through the hot air when I sniff this. Fruity, for sure, but in a candy way. I'm almost sure that there's cherry here.

Later: This stays pretty consistent, the only changes being that it gets a little greener and gets progressively sweeter with wear.

Overall: This is a nice scent, but it strikes me as kind of generic. Doesn't particularly wow me, so I'll probably swap it off.

Madrid

Starts off just like a grape lollipop. Very sweet smelling in an almost medicinal way. A light spicy scent has come out now, its almost a little bit like Lush's Potion and Santa Monica in terms of the spice. Under the spice is a faint kiss of the grape lollipop. I'm not running into the bathroom to scrub it off... but I don't think I'll ever wear it again.

This starts out as sickeningly sweet grape bubblegum- wowza!

On my skin, it quickly morphs into the smell of a petting zoo with clove and a faint whiff of the bubblegum. Clove and bubblegum? Awesome. Petting zoo? Not so much. This isn't a winner on me, and I'm sad because I'm forever searching for the perfect scent with a strong clove component.

This is really kind of yummy. It reminds me of Glitter, the booze in that is the same kind of sweetness. It does smell a little candy'ish, so definitely stay away if you don't like that. I'm glad I do like it though. It's pretty whimsical and non-serious. If you like Glitter, you'll probably like this one too.

:P

i just re-tried this one after many months, and i still don't like it. unlike many people on here, i can't really pull out specific scents, but the smell in the vial is sickeningly sweet.

after it dried, it DID smell better, but was still too fruity and/or sweet for my tastes.

Way too artificial sweet-fruit for me at first. Then goes to sweet orange. Goes commercial perfume-y, strangely, but overly sweet and syrupy.

Too bad: it sounded so promising.

With the clove and red wine, I was really hoping that Madrid would smell similar to how Lady Macbeth smells when I layer it with Three Witches. With Three Witches discontinued and me having spilled half my imp, I really need a replacement!

Unfortunately, my body had different ideas. In the bottle, it smelled promising--that familiar wine note, sweetened, with a hint of something spicy in the background. Not as clove-y as I had hoped, but nice.

On...mimosa! Sweet orange blossom, backed by that grape-y BPAL wine note. No clove. It appears my skin eats clove. Sad, because I love it.

The final drydown smells like baby aspirin to me. This isn't terrible. I kind of like the smell of baby aspirin. It's just not what I was hoping for. I don't see myself reaching for this all that often, but I'll keep the imp around for now, just in case a craving strikes.

Yowza! This smells exactly like mulled grape koolaid...seriously!

I've already gotten several comments on it too. What I like about it is it falls into that pre-aututmn category. It's fruity, yet warm and spicey. The mimosa really brings this one to life.

Yum! :P

I don't know what happened with this one. The clove smells dusty and stale on me. I get a strange, medicinal smell out of this. My boyfriend thinks that it smells like candy, but to me it smells musty and thick like unwashed dog or vitamins. I don't know if it's my skin or my nose that's messing this one up.