Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Effluvia

Perfume to match songs?

I've said this before, but Samhain smells like Poe's "Haunted" to me. I can't separate the two in my head.

I'll admit I bought an imp of Nocturne because it's also the name of a Siouxsie CD/DVD. I think it smells a little too ladylike for the likes of Siouxsie, though. She's more Perversion!

ETA: I completely forgot about Spellbound, which was ordered for the same reason. I had that song in my head all day when I tested it.

Edited by Iceblink

I'll admit I bought an imp of Nocturne because it's also the name of a Siouxsie CD/DVD. I think it smells a little too ladylike for the likes of Siouxsie, though. She's more Perversion!

YES! :P

ETA: I completely forgot about Spellbound, which was ordered for the same reason. I had that song in my head all day when I tested it.

Me too. Did it sound like it, for you?

Edited by whitemyrrh

I thought Spellbound was a very Siouxsieish scent. It has both the ladylike quality (the rose) and the raw sexiness (the musk) that she has in my mind's eye. Plus it's just gorgeous. (I ordered a bottle last week!)

I haven't tried Belladonna yet (or Severin, which would be the most Banshee scent of all, one would think!), but I'll have to get around to those eventually!

The Cure girl in me is holding out for scents inspired by "This Twilight Garden" and "Chain of Flowers". And possibly "The Same Deep Water As You".

And possibly "The Same Deep Water As You".

I almost want to recommend "Sea of Glass" for that one.

or Undertow, although only thematically for me as juniper hates me long time and mint loves me WAY too much. Danube, maybe, because it has a darker, bluer feel to me, while Sea of Glass always feels like the sun glinting off water...

And possibly "The Same Deep Water As You".

I almost want to recommend "Sea of Glass" for that one.

or Undertow, although only thematically for me as juniper hates me long time and mint loves me WAY too much. Danube, maybe, because it has a darker, bluer feel to me, while Sea of Glass always feels like the sun glinting off water...

For me, Undertow is "The Great Below" by Nine Inch Nails

Ulalume is linked to Jeff Buckley b/c of the reading he did of the poem

To me "Bella Lugosi's Dead" by Bauhaus smells like Zombi.

I want a perfume that smells like the girl they're talking about in "Rev 22:20" by Puscifer.

The smell of Glitter reminds me of "Optimissed" by Skinny Puppy.

Hollywood Babylon is "Crazy Bitch" by Buckcherry.

Jolly Roger is totally "Pirate's Life" by The Vandals.

Dorian represents "Killer Queen" by Queen to me.

Masquerade is "Awful Fall" by Stolen Babies.

I could go on but I'll stop there....

I was thinking about this just a week ago! :P

Song/Scent combinations that have passed through my collection:

"You're My Angel" (Styles and Breeze) -- Snow Angel

"Twist" (Goldfrapp) -- Smut

"Every Me Every You" (Placebo) -- House of Mirrors

Songs I need scents for:

"It's No Good" (Depeche Mode)

"Cells" (The Servant) -- this is my very favourite song. If anyone can help with this I'd give my undying thanks :D

"World in My Eyes" (The Cure cover version)

For me, Undertow is "The Great Below" by Nine Inch Nails

Now I have to try Undertow because "The Great Below" is my favorite NIN song. :P

Speaking of, Libertine makes me think of "The Perfect Drug."

Ok...I want to try something different with this theme. I wanted to see if I could match a fitting scent to each song on an album as I listened to it. Here are my results...

Tori Amos's From the Choirgirl Hotel

Spark - Undertow (to me, the song speaks of drowning...and though I don't really like Undertow, it seems like the best fit), or possibly Bayou

Cruel - Hell's Belle (speaks of someone feminine but manipulative...seductive and dangerous), or Lampades

Black Dove - Nuit or Ode on Meloncholy

Raspberry Swirl - MiGo Brain Cannister or Tweedledee or Titania (fruity and giddy...close to a frenzy)

Jackie's Strength - (I don't really like this song so I don't have a scent for it)

iiee - Jazz Funeral or Tezcatlipoca (a dark earthiness along with a feeling of floating in dark water)

Liquid Diamonds - City in the Sea (slow, dark, deep, but lovely)

She's Your Cocaine - Depraved or Lust (this song is pure deparvity and lust to me, so both scents would work)

Northern Lad - hmmm...not quite sure

Hotel - Stardust or Numb

Pandora's Aquarium - Ophelia (innocence and sadness, and very water-y)

Not sure if any of you are familiar with the odd band Cinema Strange (they're wonderful, though).. But Zombi reminds me of their songs, particularly "Tomb Lillies".

Oh! And Nosferatu reminds me of "Bela Lugosi's Dead" by the Bauhaus. :P

I'd love to find something that reminds me of a Loreena McKennitt song. Especially "the old ways"..

Edited by Flowermouth

I'd like to smell:

"The Days of the Phoenix" by AFI

"Lover's End" or "Holiday" - The Birthday Massacre

"Walking in the Air" - Sally Harmon

"Gravity of Love" - Enigma

"Happy Valley" - Vanessa Mae

Any recommendations?

hey folks, I'm new, and I'm obsessed. Planning my first order of imps as I speak, and I'm looking for two recommendations--

something that smells like "True Love Waits" by Radiohead, and anything that reminds anyone of Jeff Buckley that isn't Ulalume.

This is a great topic, and I'd appreciate any input. :P

Not sure if any of you are familiar with the odd band Cinema Strange (they're wonderful, though).. But Zombi reminds me of their songs, particularly "Tomb Lillies".

That's a good one! I love Cinema Strange. :D

Here are some I've thought of recently:

The Cruxshadows - Monument ----> La Belle Dame Sans Merci. There's a spoken word part towards the end of the song from the poem by Keats.

Nine Inch Nails - Closer ----> O. :P

Psyclon Nine - Harlot ----> Harlot, of course. :D

David Bowie - Golden Years ----> Versailles.

Clan of Xymox - Jasmine and Rose ----> Nuit

That's a good one! I love Cinema Strange. :D

Here are some I've thought of recently:

The Cruxshadows - Monument ----> La Belle Dame Sans Merci. There's a spoken word part towards the end of the song from the poem by Keats.

Nine Inch Nails - Closer ----> O. :P

Psyclon Nine - Harlot ----> Harlot, of course. :D

David Bowie - Golden Years ----> Versailles.

Clan of Xymox - Jasmine and Rose ----> Nuit

Ooh, Cruxshadows. I wonder if there's something that matches their song Winterborn.. (the Subway to Sally mix, especially.)

I've noticed that I associate BPAL with classical music a lot.

Ulalume reminds me of Faure's Pie Jesu.

Dance of Death made me immediately think of Liszt's Totentanz.

Kali is really evocative of Danse Bacchanale.

Does anyone know which scents would match:

Fantasia on a Theme By Thomas Tallis

Jupiter from The Planets

The Bartered Bride Overture

Dvorak's Carnival Overture

Carnival of the Animals: The Cuckoo

hey folks, I'm new, and I'm obsessed. Planning my first order of imps as I speak, and I'm looking for two recommendations--

something that smells like "True Love Waits" by Radiohead, and anything that reminds anyone of Jeff Buckley that isn't Ulalume.

This is a great topic, and I'd appreciate any input. :P

Undertow for Jeff Buckley? (I know, I'm a sick, sick puppy but it's just what popped into my head :D )

This is a great topic, and I'd appreciate any input. :D

Undertow for Jeff Buckley? (I know, I'm a sick, sick puppy but it's just what popped into my head :D )

ooh, that's just wrong. Just wrong enough that I might have to get an imp :P

"Gravity of Love" - Enigma

Try Sol Invictus. The orange and flowers give it a lightness like her singing, and the amber and saffron ground it like the O Fortuna samples do.

Les Fleurs du Mal- Venus in Furs (especially the Rosetta Stone cover); I know Severin is the obvious match but LFdM smells so much crueler to me.

Kostnice- Ozymandias by Qntal (again skipping the obvious, this time because Ozymandias goes all soapy on me). A momument to futility.

Sophia- Me and My Friend by Sing-Sing. Light and peaceful.

Hellcat- Ladykillers by Lush, especially the last line of the song- "Oh girls, they're such ladykillers... but we know where they're coming from, and we know the score."