Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Our springtime celebratory perfume is crafted with orris root, bergamot, frankincense, daffodil, orange pulp, attar of rose, jonquil, strawberry leaf, benzoin, violet leaf, copal, honey cakes, sweet cream, and the blossoms of springtime.

Ostara is heavily floral in the bottle. On my skin, it's a whirl of spicky-smoky-sweet-tart. Flowers and honey and smoke. There's almost a tea-like note in here, too. And fruits? There's something for everyone in here!

For this vernal equinox, I received Ostara just in time to make a review. :)

The intial sniff was surprisingly spicy, the florals giving me a very deep and rich scent, with rose trying to dominate but the other florals surging up after it.

Initial application, the spices started to give way to the florals, not as sweet as I was expecting though.

On the dry down, a bit more of a 'greenery' scent came through, the florals were strong and kicked the roses to the wayside, but not out of the equation entirely.

It lasted a couple of hours, a bit better than most of the other scents I've had. The last traces were slightly powdery, more of the honey cakes and cream than floral.

Overall I rather liked this scent, I was dubious at first, but it really evolved on me as it dried and became rather enjoyable. It's surprising how different everyone's reaction to it was. I'm a foodie/floral person though, so it really worked well for me.

Of all the Sabbat Oils, this is my favorite (or possibly tied with Mabon 2010). I'm truly surprised that I can't pick out one single note - this blend has aged so beautifully that I can't wait to wear it in just a few weeks! This is Spring in a bottle, and I feel fortunate to have found a bottle!

Edited by Shollin
Removed Lab description

as is usually the case when i try various impies these days, i went into this one not having read the description (for some months, anyway); it interests me to find how close my nose can get to the actual notes, all on its own. (:

ostara, at first, is a very perfumey scent; lovely & strong but with that typical, general perfume feel? it quickly sorts itself out, however, and becomes a calmer, pleasant floral, although i am extremely hard-pressed to pick out any single note(!). after some little while i also notice a creamy note shyly stepping to the fore. and am i detecting violet? a creamy, lightly powdery violet?

the last stage, for me, is a very fruity plum or berry, which i actually quite like, though i have several other similar bpal scents. overall a lovely LE, although i think i will need to try again before deciding if we were meant to be. (:

Decanted from an bottle received in a swap.

IN THE IMP: Freshness. Can't pick out a note. There are so many.

Dabbed on wrist and in crook of arm.

WET: I get the outdoorsy and spring but to me it's more like something -- laundry detergent or fabric softener or Febreze -- that's spring-scented.

DRYDOWN: I admit I was hoping it would have that overall bright fresh scent of when spring first arrives but instead, to me, it's just fruits I don't particularly like and florals that don't smell right on me. I get a lot of orange (death note) and rose.

OVERALL: When I worked out this swap, honestly, there were two bottles I knew I wanted and I was swapping away three bottles so it came down to either this of Strawberry Moon 2005 which I had tried and liked-not-loved. I thought it would be better to try something completely new to me and rare and I'm not at all sorry I made that decision. Instead, someone else will get to give this a good home.

On a scale of 1-5, a 2.5