Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A new year’s blessing! Peony, China’s national flower, with bamboo for flexibility, plum blossom for perseverance, courage, and hope, tangerine for wealth, orange for happiness, lychee for household peace, pine resin for constancy, golden kumquat, pussy willow, and quince for prosperity, narcissus and King mandarin for good fortune, and peach blossom for longevity, with a splash of blazing red of dragon’s blood… to help you scare away the rampaging Nian.

I knew from the note list that this would be a winner for me, and I was right! I get lots of bright orange and red fruits at first, but then a big dose of florals (especially something that smells very "velvety"- I think that's the peony?) and pine resin come out a little later. Imagine Lotus Moon plus Peony Moon with a big splash of sweet citrus, and you've got Fire Pig. This scent is festive and happy, but not manic or in-your-face. I think it might actually be better for fall- there's something about kumquat that makes me think of cool, crisp, sunny days.

Lucked into a Fire Pig decant after loving the description. The first time I wore it, I was too busy to pay proper attention to the scent and just (happily) thought "spicy tangerines."

Paying closer attention: it's immediately a crisp fruity scent -- with tangerines in the mix, but it is noticeably a mix. It turns sweet and juicier a moment later. I detected peony and plum blossom roundabout when the perfume is drying, and at some point my beloved narcissus must kick in, to help create the lovely spiciness. I don't know what some of the other notes smell like alone, but they work here! It's a beautiful and happy scent.

Alas, it doesn't last long. The next tangerine/citrus-type perfumes should last ages, because that's probably very feasible and would be easy to accomplish. :P

ooooh! what a happy little piggy this one is! i was weary about so many notes b/c the last i tried with a ton of notes (oct 2006's 13) went completely mental. but hey! it was available so i jumped on it.

this smells both clean and fruity all together - neither fighting with the other. i cannot distinguish the fruit but it is light in color (much like the oil) and bright. not overwhelming. i think it might actually be the other notes (gasp, florals!?) that sort of anchor it down from being too tart and in your face. thus i think outdoorsy spring time air w/ lush fruit around somewhere.

i'm kind of shocked that i like this. it's not powdery at all, but it has that sort of girlishness to it that i think of when i think powder.

I was really, really excited about this one. Ever since Peony Moon and Mi-Go Brain Canister, I've sought after everything with peony or any kind of plum/plum blossom note, especially when there's other fruity notes in there.

It went on as straight, bright citrus. Nothing AWFUL or anything, but only citrus. No other notes, for me, ever showed up. :P And while it does have quite a bit of staying power (and medium throw), even now, after it has dried down, it is golden, juicy tangerine and orange and nothing else.

Well... it's official. I amp citrus. I will say this, though: The citrus in previous blends went to Tang/astringent/Big Fake Orange on me. This one did not, so I'll give it credit for that.

Off to the sale box, I'm afraid.

Very strange combination of scents. Sort of like Hawaiian Punch, actually. There's something spicy in here, too, but I don't think it's the dragon's blood - maybe the mandarin? The citrus bits are definitely there, but they're not overwhelming. I can't decide whether or not I like it, though.

Fruity! I get the tangerine, mandarin and orange – the citrus in this blend is very zesty rather than antiseptic. After a while I think the gorgeous kumquat even makes an appearance to my nose…wonderful! This reminds me of a Fyrinnae fragrance (Selkie, perhaps?) I’ve tried but one that Beth got done so much better. There is so much more depth and warmth. When it dries down and the citrus has faded a little, it begins to get a little more innocently floral, yet still flirty in a way because it hasn’t poked up enough to be super-prominent. This is utter delight for springtime and reminds me of a softer, more floral Bathsheba but with more breathtaking notes. You bet I got a bottle!

Decant from a friend.....

I felt like I needed a happy, fruity, bright smell today so I applied....Mmmmmm......fruity goodness....makes my mouth water....smells like grape BubbleYum to me...but since I like that smell all is good. There is also a lush floral behind the fruit (Peony?)

About two hours later its vanished off my skin....but...HOORAY! I got my new scent locket today and so it got its first scent pad loaded with Fire Pig.

WOAH! YAY! Fire Pig lasts forever in the scent locket! Stays pretty true...though I can smell the bamboo peaking out a bit now (5 hours later).

I'm a bit sad I began my bpal addiction JUST too late to get this one in a 5ml....but I did just purchase a bottle of Hungry Ghost Moon from another addict and (due to comparisons here) hope it will be a decent "instead of" scent for when I need to slather. :P

I've been testing this out at work, while chaos swirls around me *grin*

In the imp, this is a blast of citrus and fruit (I can pick out lychee!) and yes, it also smells a little like Peony Moon.

Wet on skin, it's bright and happy ! Mandarins! Lychee!

Once dry, It's still quite sparkly, and happy-making (: The dragon's blood is very well blended in, it's not something that's sticking out and telling me it's there.

I quite like this, especially for days where I need some happy sunshine to kickstart the day *grin*

So much fruit and citrus to be had! Part of me hopes that this works great and part of me wishes it doesn't. :P

In the bottle - It's a fruit booze!

Wet - Peaches! Stroooooong peaches and some quince.

Drying - This really is very peachy and... kinda soapy. Blarg. That's the peony, I just know it is. There's also some nice tangerine in here, but the citrus is no where near as strong as I'd hoped. It's just so very, very peach.

Dry (1 hour) - I really wish the citrus would come out a bit more. It's very peach with the soapy peony in there. Not to mention, it's faint.

Overall - Boo, it's very girlish, but the peach is just so in your face that I can't get around it. Seems my skin amps that note, not just apricot.

Fire Pig 2007:

In the Bottle:

mmmm...citrusy!

and something floral hanging out in the background, I think it's moslty Peony that I'm smelling; whatever it is, it's very nice!

On my skin, Wet:

lots of citrus!

and OMG!!! LYCHEE!!! I LOVE LYCHEE!!!!MMMMMM :)

On my skin, Dry:

awwww - this gets absorbed right away...

it's still quite citrusy and peony centered, but my beloved lychee has vanished :D

Verdict:

I LOVE :P the wet version of this scent on my skin, but sadly it gets absorbed far too quickly :D

Part of me wishes I had another bottle of Fire Pig 2007; the other half is glad that I won't have to say goodbye so quickly twice over.

Bottle: Fruity. I can't really tell which notes are coming out more than others, since there's a ton, but it's definitely fruity.

Application: Still fruity, but there's a hint of something else that's just a tiny bit bitter. However, the fruit still comes out strong. I can pick up the mandarin specifically, and perhaps it's the lychee that's also coming out.

Dry: The fruity scent mellows out a little, but it's still there. A bit of floral comes out as well, but it's not overpowering. In general it's a very nice, warm scent.

I'm pleased with this one. It makes me feel like I just spent an entire day in Chinatown, and that makes me happy. I only put a little on, since I was worried about the blossoms killing my allergies, but I guess plum and peach bloosom are better than apple blossom. All the fruits kept it down, too.

Oh! My first review! Here goes nothing...

I had to find Fire Pig after reading about it, and lucked out when someone PMed me after I posted in the wanted thread...and boy, am I glad I did!

In the bottle: Mmm, juicy and delicious. I can definitely pick out the tangerine - yay! But it also smells really warm somehow.

Wet: Oh, tangerine, and a little bit of fruity candy or something that I can't pick out...it's very juicy and smells kind of bright pink. I still can't get over how excited I am about the tangerines in this. I love tangerines! Definitely a little bit of the bamboo, too. (My boyfriend thinks it's too strong, but nice)

Drying: Wet, it smelled like something I knew but couldn't pick out, and I think it might by the lychee? I'm not sure. But it still smells deelish! (Made the bf sniff it again, and he's liking it better now)

Dry: Oh man, I love this scent - it's like a warm orangey-pink glow, really fruity and warm and delicious. :P :D :D

Final verdict: I am so, so, so glad I managed to get a bottle of this stuff. I'll definitely be on the lookout for more sometime soon, for fear of running out, lol.

Edited by captainoats

This is crazy fruity. Really, really fruity. And it seems mostly like I'd been dunked in lychee juice before having a bit of citrus spritzed onto me. Fun, definitely, but a little overwhelming --a teeny smudge of this stuff goes a long, long way. We're talking my room smelling like it for days after I open the bottle.

Awesome, though, and I'm happy I pounced on it. :P

Wow -- this is very light, and sweet. I would have expected Fire Pigs to be a ltitle more -- well, fiery. And earthy for the pig part. Though from looking at the notes, it does look like about what it smells like: a light, Asian fruity-floral. It's very springlike, with an airy/watery feel. Pleasant enough, but maybe a little too sweet for me... It has an appealling complexity to it, though. Very nicely crafted.

And really, even if I hated it we'd have to keep this one, given that my wife is expecting twins in a few months, and the babies are going to be Fire Pigs. I really should have probably gotten a bottle just on that basis alone...

Grade: B

Oh, disappointment. I was so excited by the citrus and lychee, but got foiled by the flowers. It's very fruity and tart at first, but dries down to a very characteristic Bath and Bodyworks smell....

ADDED 3/5/09:

I'm finally getting to review this after losing the first bottle somewhere in transit. Well, it's a burst of citrus and becomes a pleasant fruit-floral, soft, with the citrus bite, but due to all these qualities, it reminds me more of Bath and Body Works than a unique perfume, especially for BPAL. It smells exactly as if I'd tried on one of their body splashes.

In the imp, it's definitely aaaall lychee. Very little citrus, and definitely no dragon's blood or peony...or anything else, for that matter.

Wet, it's still extraordinarily fruity, but there's a little dragon's blood showing up, I think. It's something more "deep" than fruityfruitfruit, that's for sure.

Dry, on me, it stays very fruity, but gets some kind of "dry" edge. Maybe the wood/resin/bamboo just backing up the fruit.

Overall, this scent is...happy. That doesn't really describe it fully, but there's an intangible feeling I get when I sniff the scent. Or maybe I just really love lychee. Who knows. Love this though.

In the bottle:

Orange, with a tiny hint of plum. It's really lovely, and I had high hopes for it.

On skin wet:

It starts out as oranges, but quickly descends into washing powder!

Dried down:

It's still washing powder. My skin really REALLY hated this lovely scent :P

Floral, sweet, and cheerful, this is a happy scent ripe with green notes and citrus.

The citric notes really overpower the florals once it goes on. It's a very bright, citrusy scent, reminds me a bit of an even more insanely cheerful Sol Invictus. Where Sol Invictus had gravity, this has a kind of exuberance that is hard to describe.

If a citrus floral blend sounds appealing to you, this one is probably right up your alley; it's about as perfect a melding of clean and sweet as I can imagine, yet it's not foody at all, nor is it soapy.

My initial note on this one was 'fruity, maybe too much so'. I got brave & put some on, & after a while the fruity mellowed out & more floral emerged. Now it's a very nice mix. Me likee. *g*

I didn't buy this when it was available, because it mentioned Dragon's Blood, and I have bad reactions to that. ::facepalm:: There's not any identifiable dragon's blood, and it's not pinging my allergies at all. Yay!

In the imp, there's a sharp citrus smell. Wet, it's largely kumquat, but it dries to a fresh, sweet scent that's incredibly cheerful. If I sniff very carefully, I can just about distinguish notes, but there's no one note that dominates - it's a complex and well-blended perfume. Very beautiful, and definitely a keeper. This'll make a lovely summer fragrance. :P

Edited by harmonyfb

bottle: fruity, fruity, so many fruities

wet: kumquat and lychee, in particular. it's like the little fruit bar at my parents' favorite Chinese buffet...

dry: less juicy and in-your-face fruity, but little of the non-fruit notes

later: more florals, now, but still not me. this last stage is really nice, tho.

First sniff from the bottle: huge bowl of tainted exotic fruits!

Wet on the skin: more of the same, just a wee less strong. I'm getting more grapefruit and lychee.

25 mins later: the peony comes out to join the fruit parade and it all balances so nicely!! It definitely reminds me of something else..... maybe one of the Escada perfumes? It is a bit perfume but it calms down very nicely. I love this and am so glad I have a bottle! To think I was about to swap it right off because of the first sniff. :P

I didn't read the notes of this one when I bought it, and was a little afraid that a scent called "Fire Pig" would end up smelling like sweet barbecue or something. Instead it is a beautiful side dish of fruits. I can't detect any floral really, but there is something that reminds me a little bit of crackling fire wood in it. Maybe that is the dragon's blood? I am grateful I was able to get a bottle of this one. My only sadness is that my skin seems to eat it, and after the first few initial wrist sniffs it vanishes.

Bottle: A light, refreshing floral (oh dear, florals = soap)

Wet: Smells like my Mum's shower gel, an inoffensive yet plasticky flowery smell.

Drydown: More like soap than gel. I should have learned my lesson about flowers by now.

Dry: Nope, afraid the piggy just doesn't like me! I'm sure this would smell far better on someone who likes florals. It seems to be a very light, refreshing and energising scent for those it works on.

Final verdict: Flowers hate me, and this was no exception. Given an extra point for not making me want to vomit like peony usually does.

Rating: 2/5

I knew I had to get this because I am a Pig. bad move though, since I'm a WATER Pig, and Fire Pig doen't forget to remind me of that.

smells lovely and fruity and sweet and bright in the bottle, but turns absolutly rancid and chemical on my skin. such a shame to waste it all on my oil burner, might have to find a scent locket.