Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A new year's blessing! Peony, China's national flower, with bamboo for flexibility, plum blossom for perseverance, courage, and hope, tangerine for wealth, orange for happiness, lychee for household peace, pine resin for constancy, golden kumquat, pussy willow, and quince for prosperity, narcissus and King mandarin for good fortune, and peach blossom for longevity, with a splash of blazing red of dragon's blood... to help you scare away the rampaging Nian.

Oh, instant love! This is such a bright, effervescent blend-- full of optimism! All of the notes blend together so delightfully... I can detect the bamboo and the mandarin specifically, and everything else seems to meld together to create the perfect balance of lightly sweet floral and fruit. The effect is not syrupy at all, but rather crisp and fresh, appropriate for welcoming in a brand new year. I was a little worried about the dragon's blood, as it's a note that usually disagrees with me, but it doesn't give me any trouble at all in this blend. Fire Pig stays fairly close to the skin, and the staying power is good. I am seriously considering buying another bottle of this, although I've never been one to hoard multiple bottles. This is really, really good!

in the bottle: fruity! peaches possibly melon, and citrus.

wet: uber fruity. peaches, and tangerines. which make quite the enchanting combo!

this is sweet. juicy, and i mean juicy like makes my mouth water. i don't get many flowers, this is like a big bowl of fresh fruit salad. a fun summertime scent! but wait just when i give up hope of peonies making an appearance, there they are mingling their big fat heads w/ my fruit bowl. peonies are so sweet, and innocent smelling to me, blended w/ teh fruit they are incredibly sweet, fresh, and innocent, so innocent i am unsure if i can actually pull off this scent...maybe when i dress like a school girl, but i don't think i would really fool anyone :P

straight sniff from bottle is a fruity menagerie of goodness...

peach, melons, mandarin oranges...

once applied the peony is a perfect component combined with the other florals

and fruit notesmaking this an absolutely winning combo with my chemistry...a lucious, bright, vivacious springtime scent, indeed!!

Xinnian kuai le, indeed! This is like the happy-go-lucky older sister of Hungry Ghost Moon, which is A-OK in my book! It's delicious, bright and fruity, crisp and wonderful! I don't really get much dragon's blood out of this at all, but I do get the unique and tangy scent of lychees, which makes me very very very happy. A definite multiple bottle purchase.

In the bottle: Bright and fruity but not overwhelmingly in your face about it. It's soft.

On my skin: This is an effervescent, bright fruity-floral. It's almost tropical but the bamboo brings it into check. This is a perfect spring scent. I like that even though it's very fruity, the floral is tied in with them in a way that doesn't make me feel like a fruit salad. Instead I feel spring-like and tropical and bright and fresh.

The fruits in this seem to all fight for my attention, meaning that as soon as I'm about to pin a note as one particular fruit, it changes on me and and can't quite separate them out. I definitely get more of the lychee and mandarin, and peony for the florals.

I think this one is a winner! :P

Fire Pig is beautiful bunches of fruit stacked neatly into piles in front of the Ancestors' shrine. There are also some flowers there, but mainly the smell of fruit.

Not one for additional fruitiness in my life, but this is fruit the way a perfume should have it. Not foody - but sweet, aromatic and ripe.

Fire Pig is a "happy" BPAL like Ex Lux Fuit or Sol Invictus.

It makes me imagine adorable baby piglets with little button eyes.

Hogging it, not swapping it.

In bottle: Super-sweet, sickly, almost like watermelon jolly rancher times 10. I can't discern anything else, it's so overwhelmingly sweet.

Wet on skin: Same. Getting less sickly-sweet. A floral note rises to top. It cuts all that sweetness down, a lot, thank God. Tangerines and mandarin lurk right around the corner too.

It's drying down very similarly. Fruity fresh.

I'm not absolutely in love with it, but it's pretty. I hope my year is this full of sweetness.

Oh, Fire Pig is LOVELY!

I can smell a lot of fruity notes. Orange, peach, lychee, melon.

But as the oil dries, it turns a bit more floral. Perhaps the plum blossom?

Oh I LOVE IT! It is very uplifting! Definitely a keeper!

Edited by ancilla

Hel-LO Hawaiian Punch! Or something similar...seriously, the Kool-Aid man will be busting through my wall soon...I only hope homeowner's insurance covers acts of giant anthropomorphic objects.

That being said, this scent is gorgeous. Luscious even...it's all I can do not to drink it, it smells so damn lovely. It's the sweetest, fullest fruit scent I've ever smelled from a fragrance oil. It's amazing.

I totally agree with the reviewer who said that Fire Pig reminded her of the happy-go-lucky sister of HGM! There's the same cheerful fruitiness, but combined with the gorgeous peony note from Peony Moon instead of ho wood and resins. It's innocent and fun and very sweet and feminine. In the drydown, it deepens into a luscious fruity floral. Mmmm.

This makes me smile. :P I love anyone and anything that makes me smile. What a lovely scent! I will treasure it.

This reminds me of Fruit loops cereal-very intoxicating! Perfect for the spring and summer! The peach is light and fresh-a must have fragrance! :P

In the bottle: Fruity-spicy-sweet: tangerine, kumquat, lychee.

On: Much the same, with just a hint of florals. Though I'm a peony lover, I can't quite find it here.

Smells lovely, and I adore the label – but sadly I do not enjoy wearing fruities.

I am not a fruit-scent lover. This bottle was purchased because my husband (the foodie) declared that I MUST have it. I was very afraid that this would turn into sweet mushy fruit from hell on me.

Perhaps I shouldn't have been so worried. After all Hungry Ghost Moon is beautiful on me.

Bottle: Oh dear. This is some INTENSE fruit. I don't smell flowers, thats a good sign.

Wet: I'm scared, thats some seriously sharp citrus wafting up...

Dry: Hey, where did the spicey mellow stuff come from?

Final result: My husband LOVES this scent from the bottle stage to the dry stage on me. The look in his eyes is enough to make me wear it, even if I'm not completely sold on it. Someone said it seems like a relative of Hungry Ghost Moon, and I agree. I will be keeping my bottle =)

This smells like a warm fruit mixture. Nothing tangy, sharp or bitter.....just a batch of soft, overripe fruits. It smells sunny and very mellow. I love the lychee especially....it's very distinct.

I don't really notice any spicy type notes but there a slightly deeper and muskier drydown. Maybe that's the resin peeking out in the final stages. Whatever it is, it's very nice. I'll wear this one alot more in the summer than I will now though.

Fire Pig smells fruity, juicy, and just delicious. :P It reminds me of that initial burst of sweetness you get when putting a piece of fruity gum in your mouth.

It fades rather quickly on my skin, but it's worth slathering or wearing in a scent locket. I need to grab at least one more bottle before it goes away.

First Impression: Clean - can definitely detect the bamboo.

Dries down to: Hints of citrus, bamboo and pine peek out, lightly dusted with icing sugar.

Additional Comments: This one surprised me. I expected it to be much more floral. I love peony but I can't pick it up at all, nor any of the other florals listed in the description. Dragon's blood is missing, too. Normally, pine resin would drown everything else out but I took a chance here and it seems to have paid off. Although I'm not getting the notes I'd hoped for - peony, plum blossom, narcissus, dragon's blood and peach blossom - and the tangerine and mandarin notes I love are quite suppressed, the total blend is a lovely, light clean scent that will be perfect for summer.

Lasted: About an hour.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

I was pretty sure that I wouldn't like the Fire Pig... I haven't gotten along with the bamboo/asian-themed blends, and all of the citrus, dragon's blood, and floral in this scared me.

Fire Pig does start off kinda blah on my skin. The bamboo and floral mixed with the citrus smells like sharp, citrus dryer sheets on my skin. Thankfully, it quickly calms down into a sweet fruity blend. It actually smells kinda like ripe peaches and a squeeze of sweet citrus on my skin, all sprinkled with sugar. There is just a hint of pine resin in the background. It stays a touch soapy on my skin, but not enough to bother me too much. No dragon's blood or in my face florals at all.

I wish it weren't so light and that it didn't fade on my skin so quickly (staying power was about 45 minutes both times I tried it). I'll keep my decant of this one for days when I want a sweet, clean, fruity blend for a quick pick-me-up.

Fire Pig - Although the ingredients are different, this blend reminds me a lot of Hungry Ghost Moon. It’s kind of like a citrus version of HGM. It’s predominantly a citrus-floral with a good dose of sweet, rooty bamboo to really make it seem "Asian." The dragon’s blood and pine resin aren’t evident as individual notes, but it seems fairly evident that they work together to deepen the overall blend, keeping it from being too bright and effervescent from the great number of citrus-type fruits. I’m thrilled that the lychee isn’t evident in the least, as lychee has always been a strange scent/flavor to me. Overall, this is a really, really gorgeous blend that seems like the perfect olfactory celebration of a New Year. It’s bright, sparkling, and a really happy blend. Unfortunately, as with most Asian and citrus blends, the staying power isn’t very good on me, yet I like it enough that I’m going to use it in a scent locket so I can still get enjoyment from this blend.

In the imp: fruity fruity! oddles of bright, sparkly sweet fruits, not unlike Fruit Moon.

On me, wet: oh, this is like a blend of Fruit Moon and Hungry Ghost Moon - the bamboo and the peony are cutting across the bright fruitiness and leavening it a little.

On me, dry: the bamboo and peony are more prominent, giving this a wetness and lightness that stops the fruits being too sugary - more of an asian feel than at first.

Verdict: This is tailormade to appeal to my SO on me, so I think I'll keep the bottle around.

This smelled pretty, if perfumey, in the bottle...but once applied, it almost immediately goes soapy and generic on my skin. I don't know what it was, but something in it just did not like my skin chemistry.

It's definitely worth a shot if you like light, floral perfumes, though!

Fresh from the bottle, I like it immediately. There’s a blend of fruitiness here with a hint of floral that appeals strongly to me. I can pick out the orange most of all.

Once Fire Pig is on my wrist, I notice the wood, and the wood is lovely -- without being overwhelming, it provides a base for the rest of the scent to spring forth.

The citrusiness fades down after a few minutes, but nothing amps up to take its place. As a result, the scent is low, and it has a lovely balanced quality. I also note that the dragon’s blood is, as promised, only a splash. Even after a few minutes have passed, I couldn’t detect it if I weren’t concentrating on finding it.

Given more time, the fruit reemerges, but it isn’t so straightforward as "citrus". There’s a trace of peach here, a trace of tangerine there, but it all blends gracefully together. This is a complex scent, if I track down various notes, but it doesn’t announce itself to the nose as complex. It seems perfectly suitable to its name -- an exotic-yet-playful celebration of the new year.

Except... it has no staying power. Within an hour and a half, it was almost undetectable on my wrist. I am very startled. It was so pretty! It’s still pretty on the cotton that I used to apply it -- perhaps this is best used in a scent locket.

Still, I’m very glad to have purchased this scent, and it is with pleasure that I announce another victory for the Lab. I know I will wear it often this spring.

Upon application: Ooo, sweet, sweet mandarin. Very orange, fruity, citrusey.

On the dry down this softens up a bit; I thought it might remain straight up mandarin on me. But no, now I can smell the soft peach blossom undertones floating underneath. This is a very, very fruity blend, but also crisp and refreshing. It's very feminine.

This doesn't have a lot of throw, and is a skin clinger. But this is just lovely, I love the fruity blends, and the mandarin note in this is gorgeous. Beautiful, I'm glad I got a bottle.

this is a great scent for a new year--bubbly and bright. i get a lot of very sweet mandarin and a splash of peach...i wish there was a bit more dragon's blood, i think the spice would be fantastic. still, i'm happy as it is, and i'm sure this will be a winner as far as my boyfriend is concerned. fresh fruit, not the overripe type that you get out of some blends.

i am a bit wary though, as this threatens to go soapy as time wears on.

On application, the orange turned rancid really quickly, and overpowered everything else.

I left it on out of laziness and it turned into a very nice, fruity blend, though a bit on the subtle side for my tastes. Not compelling enough for a bottle, but the good news is that it outgrows its obnoxious phase.