Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Cegirls

Finding BPAL blends similar to Dior perfumes....

if you love fruity scents with a bit of a kick, DEFINITELY get dragon's heart. it is so lovely, the fig and currants are just lovely.

also try moriarty if you can get a decant or are willing to get a bottle.

melisande is my FAVORITE jasmine blend. it's just about pure jasmine with sandalwood.

I went ahead and merged the old thread looking for blends similar to Poison with the recent one started by Jenesis, now that we have a lively discussion going.

I love Poison--mostly for sentimental reasons because I wore it when I was a teenager, and that was a magical time in my life. But I have tried almost everything recommended so far except Venom, and nothing even comes close for me.

Let's wish really hard for the return of Venom :D

I know lots and lots of people would dance for joy if Venom could be resurrected! Sadly, Beth had to discontinue it for a component issue :P Those are always the least likely blends to come back. But hey - against all odds Antique Lace came back! So never say never.

I used to wear Poison a lot. It was pretty much my signature scent for a long time before I got more into oil blends and whatnot. I'm sure it has a ton to do with skin chemistry, so I make no guarantees, but seriously... I tried an imp of Black Dahlia a while back and it smelled so much like Poison to me. You might give that one a try and see how it works for you. :P

All our family friend wanted for Christmas was Diorissimo, which I've since learned has been discontinued. I'm on a hunt to find remaining bottles, and more importantly, locate a BPAL that is similar.

I haven't smelled Diorissimo, but it's described as having jasmine, lily of the valley and ylang ylang. Another site says it also has rose geranium and sandalwood. Or amarayllis, muguet and something called boronia?

Thoughts? Recommendations?

*apparently not discontinued! But only available at Saks. How odd.

Edited by maribouquet

Funnily enough, I was just reading about Diorissomo this morning. Apparently it was designed to showcase Lily of the Valley. That's where I'd start your searches - the magnificent search engine on the BPAL site brings up eight options when you search for 'valley'. Maybe check out the reviews from the links to see what she might like...?

have her try some moscow if you still want some bpal for her. it's truly a beautiful perfume, even if it is overly jasmine and rose on me other than the lily of the valley listed in the notes.

It is like a warmed up lily of the valley. I remember it from my childhood. Have you tried to Google the name? There are places which sell just about every perfume ever created out there, the rare and the wonderful.

If you are looking for a BPALm go to the Lab site and do a search on "Valley". I got 8 hits, one should be a Diorissimo-like enough (or maybe even better) for your friend. I got: Moscow, Hymn, The Queen of Hearts, Suspiro, Endymion, Wings of Azrael, Belle Epoque, & Dragon's Eye.

I also get a strong hyacinth/narcissus from Diorisimo (can't spell today - sorry). It's my Mother's all time favourite but I had to get her Bluebell from Penhaligons this year instead, which she also loves (oddly enough she also demanded 2 bottles of BPAL Samhain).

There's an Illyria scent that reminds of it but I can't for the life of me remember which one it was.

My brain is apparently set on random today - sorry :P

I think Blood Countess is very much in the same category. Not exactly like Poison, but very evocative of the same.

Poison by Dior: Venom (sadly discontinued), Spellbound

I felt that Shadow Witch Orchid reminded me quite a bit of Poison... but it has been many years since I last filched some from my mother's bottle.

dierne - are you thinking of Juliet? Samhain sounds like a good recommendation from your mother but I don't see it for sale.

maribouquet - I found bpal because I was looking for Diorissimo! I wanted the perfume because cologne & EDT don't last on me. Several online stores had EDT but were expensive and several were out of stock (perfume was out of stock but I think it may be out of production, actually).

I am going to try some of the suggestions from Olympia301 (thanks, Olympia301 :P) and mabye Juliet.

If you find a good Diorissimo, please post! I have yet to order my imps so I will be awhile in reporting back!

Diorissimo is a very pretty scent, in my skin is everything ylang-ylang, and for my nose the scent of Bpal that looks like more is Seduction ( Panaceas).

Edited by Melenass

Dark Delicacies reminds me of Poison - a LOT.

I really ought to do a side-by-side comparison, actually.

I still love Poison. It's pretty much the only commercial perfume I'll wear outside of my BPAL. I have an older bottle of the parfum I got off Ebay. YUM!

ETA: I found a list of notes in a perfume blog. They are:

orange blossom, honey, cinnamon, coriander, pepper, plum, rosewood, rose, tuberose, wild berries, cistus labdanum, carnation, jasmine, cedar, sandalwood, vetiver, musk, vanilla, heliotrope and opopanax.

N.

Edited by zenvodunista

Thanks, Melenass! I guess I will have to research the Panacea descriptions here. No info on the bpal site so I have not considered these. Moxie from the Panaceas was recommended by several people in the rec. section of the forum here; I am considering including this imp set in my first order.

Edited by gailprentice

I don't but I thought a description of Miss Dior Cherie might help those who aren't familiar with it. Osmoz lists top notes of green tangerine, strawberry leaves and violet; middle notes of pink jasmine, wild strawberry and popcorn; base notes of patchouli and crystalline musk.

I get a lot of strawberry and find it is a more grown-up sweet scent than most. "Classy for a candy scent" is how I remember one reviewer putting it, LOL.

HTH!

I don't know Miss Dior Cherie by scent, but using the search engine for what seems to be the dominate note (strawberry) I find these:

Bon Vivant

An effervescent blend of crystalline champagne notes and sweet strawberry.

Maenad

Orgiastic mayhem in the extreme: sweet strawberry and orange blossom distorted by carnation, black poppy and hibiscus.

Hollywood Babylon

The essence of innocence shattered: glittering Egyptian amber and heliotrope, infused with the sweetness of strawberry and vanilla - dragged into debauch by lusty red musk and a dribble of black cherry.

I'm betting Hollywood Babylon & Bon Vivant would be things you'd likee. They are too sweet on me (I amp sweet to a scary degree) but are lovely in the bottle! Sweet and sophisticated at the same time.

N.

I'd love to find something similar to Dior's Dolce Vita (which has been discontinued. The notes vary from different sources, but seem to be:

Top Notes: Lily, rose, magnolia

Heart Notes: Peach, apricot, cinnamon

Base Notes: Heliotrope, sandalwood, vanilla, amber

I just love that it doesn't smell too perfumey.

Anybody know of any oils similar to Hypnotic Poison?? I used to love this & still follow old ladies around shopping centres when they're wearing it, but I bpal now & that's all there is to it!

Even if you layer a couple that end up similar.... anything!

Thanks much! :P

I bought Dior's Fahrenheit for my husband ages ago, and have been seeking a replacement by BPAL. The notes I've found listed for it online are: bergamot, honeysuckle, hawthorn, sandalwood, nutmeg, violet, cedar, patchouli and tonka bean. I know, a man's fragrance with honeysuckle, but taken as a whole it's gorgeous--I even wore it now and then to milder effect. Little help?

Bumping up an older thread because I've been on the hunt for something like Hypnotic Poison. My hubby loves it and I am determined to find a bpal equivalent and thought maybe someone else might be interested.

Closest for me so far have been;

Faiza the black mamba

A sensual blend of twisting, exotic, serpentine oils: black amber, caraway, oakmoss, green sandalwood, bergamot, jasmine sambac, gardenia, orange pulp, vanilla, blackberry, black musk, white honey, ti leaf, and ginger.

---a bit too something, strong maybe, but really close

Urania

--lacking a bit of sweetness or depth, I'm not sure but also close

Ava Maria Gratia Plena

A pale, delicate, truly angelic blend. A scent created to emulate Adonis' halo of beauty: fragile, distant, and radiant. Rosewood with Sicilian lemon peel, red Mysore sandalwood, pale musks, sweet mountain sage and a dusting of lily, night-blooming jasmine and orris.

--from the notes, this should be perfect, but on me it is just too bright

There are more, but these have been the closest for me.

I have really liked Hypnotic Poison since it first came out. They used to make a bath oil and when I worked in a department store I would take home samples and one bath would scent my whole apartment for hours. I actually retrospectively find it to be a BPAL like scent. It seems more "real" to me than a lot of the department store fragrances. I have not tried it yet but from the scent description have been thinking that Salome is going to be my best bet.

I actually tried Salome (A scent that is both coquettish and sinister. Exotic and lush, brimming with grace and viciousness: almond with star jasmine, oakmoss, red sandalwood and Egyptian musk.) as well.

It is really nice, but it was a bit too earthy for me. The later drydown is super close though, so it might be the perfect choice for you. Thinking about it now, I'm going to have to try it again.

ETA; I did try this again and although it is nothing like it for the first hour, after that it is very close. The jasmine is different (Faiza's jasmine is closer) but still very close and lighter than Faiza too (which is a bit heavy for warmer weather).

Edited by heartlilly

Oh my goodness! I knew Faiza reminded me of something. My friend's mother used to wear it, but I could never get what it was it reminded me of, til now.

Bumping up an older thread because I've been on the hunt for something like Hypnotic Poison. My hubby loves it and I am determined to find a bpal equivalent and thought maybe someone else might be interested.

Closest for me so far have been;

Faiza the black mamba

A sensual blend of twisting, exotic, serpentine oils: black amber, caraway, oakmoss, green sandalwood, bergamot, jasmine sambac, gardenia, orange pulp, vanilla, blackberry, black musk, white honey, ti leaf, and ginger.

---a bit too something, strong maybe, but really close

Urania

--lacking a bit of sweetness or depth, I'm not sure but also close

Ava Maria Gratia Plena

A pale, delicate, truly angelic blend. A scent created to emulate Adonis' halo of beauty: fragile, distant, and radiant. Rosewood with Sicilian lemon peel, red Mysore sandalwood, pale musks, sweet mountain sage and a dusting of lily, night-blooming jasmine and orris.

--from the notes, this should be perfect, but on me it is just too bright

There are more, but these have been the closest for me.