Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
cupide430

Mr. Jacquel

Golden amber, hyssop, North African patchouli, and embalming spices.

Mmmmm!

I love amber more and more with every blend I try.

I'm going to have a hard time describing this...at first I had my wrist held up to my nose and I was going to say, I get mostly amber, then ginger and pepper, then patchouli. But now that I'm typing, the throw is mostly spices, with amber and patcouli underneath. It's drooling-type delicious, like really.

Fans of Bastet and Anubis must try this. It's not as similar to either as they are to one another but that warm cozy (someone said "fuzzy", and I agree) blanket of scent is at the core of Mr. Jacquel. He just takes it up a notch with the more aggressive spices and the earthy patchouli.

Don't fear the patchouli either, it's a key note and rounds out the blend expertly.

I'm not being as effusive as I should because it's early and I need coffee, but this is 100% must-have-a-bottle-or-five for me.

Mr. Jacquel definitely sees your soul.

This is a light incensey scent, that comes across as a bit like a more gender-neutral-leaning-toward-masculine version of Meskhenet the Vulture Maiden. Both have a very distinctly Egyptian feel, and are a bit reminiscent of other incense-type scents like Cathedral, Midnight Mass, etc. but are lighter, and a little more subtle and complex.

But while Meskhenet has an overlay of herbal-floral sweetness to it, Mr. Jaquel is dryer and less sweet, almost dusty. Very much an occult-shop sort of scent. When first on, it definitely has a bit of that men's-scent feel to it, but that quickly fades, in favour of a more gender-neutral feel. Eventually, after an hour or two, it does sweeten a certain amount, becoming almost feminine but not quite.

It's very nice, but ultimately I don't find it different enough from all the other incense scents I like to really feel that I need more than the imp I've got. Still, anyone who's a fan of incense scents will definitely want to try this one.

Grade: B+

This starts out almost peanut-buttery in the same way that Sed Non Satiata did. Which caused me to make the irreverent comment that, well, Anubis *is* a dog after all and I'm sure he does like peanut butter. :D That stage didn't stay around long, though.

The dominant note here is definitely the patchouli, and I think it's the black patch. The fact that it doesn't reek on me in this blend, I suspect, is because of the amber. I usually can't wear black patchouli and the blends I can wear it in, all contain amber as well. So while I can't actually smell the amber in Jacquel, I'm definitely grateful to it. :D

The spices add an exotic complexity. There is also something that kind of reminds me of dust. There's a hint of "sweat-smell" in the blend as well, which I think is coming from the patchouli note. It doesn't smell like week-old B.O. but more like the fresh sweat of someone who bathed this morning and just happend to exert themselves a lot during the day. I'm surprised I don't mind it but for some reason I kind of don't.

My friend said this smelled like sex on her; I said that on me it smelled like sex in an old bookstore. :P

Warm spicy amber. this scent is soft, sweetish (but not foody) with a lovely warmth. I like it a lot at first.

But then the embalming spices take over. Or rather one in particular takes over, and I get heavy cinnamon. I like cinnamon, but it does tend to overwhelm on me, and that's what this turns to.

In the bottle, and on first application, the patchouli, amber, and hyssop mix together to make a strong, almost biting resinous scent. Soon those wonderful embalming spices show up and remind me a lot of Eclipse. It dries down to something softer and more powdery than I had hoped for, but the initial scent is an amazing spicy ambery patchouli kick that I absolutely love. This is a wonderful exotic, sexy, eastern scent that would be good on anybody. The drydown may be a little too soft and feminine for me to wear often, but I still love it. This is a perfect incense-sex-spices scent. Amazing.

This is all golden warm spice *purrrrr*.

It starts off not too spicy, with the amber in front. Then the spices come out to play. I never really get hyssop or patchouli. The spices may be the same as in Mama-ji, but there are no flowers here. Just Golden Spice.

Once its dry it goes a tiny bit powdery, but that just lends a gentleness to the powerful spices. This is my favorite Carousel scent by far!

This is so different on me than what I expected. It smells like Count Dracula's warmer cousin.. though not warmer by much because this is quite dry and cool. I'm a huge lover of Bastet and Anubis both but this just doesn't cut it for me. Perhaps it's because the patchouli dominates on me, laced with something astringent that reminds me of bathroom cleaning supplies. Apparently my chemistry just doesn't like this one.

I love Neil and am an Anubis worshiper, so this was a must-buy.

Bottle: Anubis in a library with a glass of rum. Quite lovely, and the patchouli isn't overwhelming me like it usually does.

On Skin: Rich and woodsy. I feel very comforted by this.

Dry: That same warm comforting feeling. I have no other way to describe it: It smells like Him. :P

In the vial: Amber along with something rather cool--perhaps the patchouli, perhaps the spices...I can't tell.

Wet: This is the strangest amber that I've ever smelled in that it's cooperating with the other notes. At first it is mixing with the hyssop, and then the spices. I don't really smell the patchouli at all.

Drydown and wear: As the scent dries, the amber starts to do its more traditional powdering...this scent really does not do a lot on my skin, probably because my skin does amp amber. I really wish I could tell whether or not the hyssop or spices are the second-most prominent note, but there is something else working--almost at odds--with the warmth of the amber. There is an interesting fractured quality to the scent, despite the fact that only one note is really prominent.

This is more or less like you'd expect: a strong spiced patchouli rush out of the bottle, tempered with the most velvety and dark amber you can imagine. A very beautiful scent. There's a soft herbal edge to it that keeps the patchouli from being too dirty.

I really like this, and can't get enough of it. The amber is warm, the spice is warm, the patchouli is hollow, dark, and earthy, and the overall impression is one of space, of vast, unlit, vaguely-creepy spaces.

A spot on Mr. Jacquel scent, if you ask me, and one of the standouts of the Carousel blends.

There’s something very…woodsy about this one right off. Very grounded with grit.

Mr. Jacquel then turns into a subtle, nice scent. I could imagine aged black or dark brown velvet found in an old trunk smelling like this. A little bit of spice but dark and slightly dusty smelling. :D

What’s really interesting is that I have Bloody Mary on my other wrist and the two together smell *really* good when I didn't like Bloody Mary by itself at all--I think it's just Mr. Jacquel working his magic here. :D

This dries down to have a more powdery, almost sweet, feel to it—which I guess is the amber coming through. I love this stage, it's so comforting and warm yet intriguing still.

There is something initially intellectually stirring and then comforting about Mr. Jacquel—very appropriate for the character and lovely in its own right. I was so hoping to like this blend since I love the character in the novel and I’m so glad it lives up to Gaiman’s creation. Bravo Beth—this is fantastic! :P When I have the finances this imp is probably going to be upped to a bottle.

Rating: 4 (or a 4.5 even)/5

The instant I sniffed Mr. Jacquel on the back of my hand, I got a picture of a man in an expensive, well-tailored black suit -- perhaps the character from the book, definitely somebody you'd be having a drink with in a desert. The patchouli really grounds the spices and resins, and then hangs around for a long, long time, but this is an understated and subtle patchouli. The overall effect smells rich, sort of like a cologne made with expensive ingredients -- but not with any obnoxious department-store quality, just the richness of notes effectively layered.

I always find it interesting to compare American Gods to their Excolo counterparts, and in this case I think of Anubis as a daytime scent and Mr. Jacquel as a nighttime scent. You could wear Mr. Jacquel in close quarters, say to an art exhibit, and not be remembered by everyone as "that person with the heavy perfume," but the people you chose to be close to would like your smell.

I'm already halfway through my bottle of Mr. Jacquel, that's how much I like this blend. It's hard to describe just how velvety soft it is, but there's that gorgeous warm-as-sunlight amber, the plush patchouli, and those spices---hard to tell exactly what they might be, but they add a little spice and dimension here in the nicest way. On my skin it's kind of like The Lion meets Sin (sans cinnamon). I'm also picking up on that slightly dusty, water-damage-on-books note that I love in other BPAL blends---I think it might be an element of the patchouli.

I think I may need another bottle soon, at the rate I'm going. It's just that good.

This is beautiful. A slightly sweet/masculine mix at the very start, it then mellows down into a warm amber embrace with a bit of an earthy kick coming from the patchouli. I love amber and I love patchouli, this could never go wrong with me. I definitely still get a slight edge of the spices, what a beautiful scent.

Beautiful blend. When I put it on, it's very spicy, but right now it has dries down to a fantastic velvety patchouli and spice blend. On my skin this works like a spicy cross between Umbra and Chimera.

In the imp, I smelled nothing.

Wet, nothing.

Dry? Well, maybe a little whiff of sawdust, but mostly nothing.

And then, something happened. The scent warmed up on my skin, and became this sweet, dusty sandalwood-type fragrance. Just enough throw to waft up to my waiting nose. Warm, comforting, and a brilliant interpretation of this particular character.

Edited by harmonyfb

Subtle, but gorgeous. Mr Jacquel is just the most beautiful combination of some of my favourite notes. The patchouli and hyssop are nothing short of divine, and the amber is in its most fabulously tempered form. The embalming spices are gentler than I expected.

I love that its quite dry, I can almost smell the pages of ancient books. And the strangest thing is that I can smell something that reminds me of the not-quite coconutty note in Death Cap. I've scanned the reviews hoping someone else found it too, and was more eloquent at describing it, but no joy.

Mr Jacquel is an outstanding scent, although I wish it wasn't so subtle on me. Oh well, just means I have to slather. :P

In the imp: patchouli, and a funny burning smell.

Wet on me: Mmm! A great rush of warm spices comes out first, warm but not too hot. This makes me think of Egypt and desert sands. There's some sweetness from the amber, and still that strange burning-paper note -- could that be hyssop? I have no idea.

After five minutes: The burning note peaks early to a disturbing burning-rubber scent and then vanishes. Hooray! Now it's all dark elegant patchouli and those wonderful spices. This is a scent like a dark varnished ebony box, or better yet torchlight glinting off of golden treasure hidden for thousands of years in a dusty pyramid, gleaming just a little in the inky blackness. Very very evocative.

Drydown: Rich, elegant patchouli that doesn't smell too 'dirty' because of the amber (which seems pretty light.) This reminds me of incense, but *spice* incense, not resin incense. An opulent scent.

I will definitely use my decant of this, and it might end up being a bottle purchase someday. :P

ETA: This lasts for hours, and eventually smoulders down to a sweet amber-spice scent. I absolutely adore this!

Edited by Baitu

MR. JACQUEL

In Bottle: Amber and patchouli

On Skin: My skin amps the patchouli right away. Very dark and earthy, this is the form of patchouli that doesn’t work on me. This scent is almost scary it’s so dark and swarthy… almost evil in tone. The description fits it well and creates the perfect visualization. The embalming spices do give a nice exotic Egyptian feel and again add to the overall vibe of this scent. The amber is sweet and powdery, the hyssop is slightly medicinal and sharp. Overall this scent is brooding, spicy, dark and heavy. Like an evil cousin to Schwarzer Mond. But Schwarzer Mond’s patchouli loves me whereas Jacquel’s patchouli does not. I think the sweet and stickiness in Schwarzer Mond help as well… and Jacquel’s spiciness and earthy side just don’t gel with me. Strong throw and average wearlength.

I'm not a huge amber fan but I loved the charecter and managed to find a decant so I thought I'd try it out.

In the imp: This is a weird one. Milky/spicy amber. Kind of musty. Fitting, I guess!

Wet: Pretty much just spice. Not killing my nose off or anything, but spicier than I had been expecting. The amber is giving it a rounded, deeper base and there's a hint of patch.

Drydown: The patchouli is coming out wonderfully and the spices are adding a nice edge to the woodyness.

Not sure that I'd use this one often enough to warrent a full bottle for a while, but I think it does the charecter justice. Wondering about trying Anubis now!

in the bottle patchouli and something else that smells like chili powder.

wet on skin there's the amber and it's nice, smooth, and sweet. i still smell chili powder.

dry on skin wow. that's gorgeous! it's spicy, but not like food. there's cinnamon, but it doesn't smell like anything you'd want to eat. it's high and golden and warm. wow, wow, wow! this might be bottle-worthy.

I remember getting a 5ml outright due to the character and because of the alluring golden amber. It’s one of those notes that I am weak for so I knew it would only be a matter of time when I would try this.

So..it’s been quite a while..probably close to a year or so..and I am ready to try him out.

Initial sniff from bottle: It’s the amber with something a tad herbal..perhaps the hyssop and spices. Yep..this smells awesome already. :D

Applied wet on skin: Definitely more of the hyssop and spices..the amber and the patchouli are more of the supporting notes at this stage.this reminds me of something else in the BPAL catalog..can’t put my finger on it.

Oh yes..now I remember..something in here reminds me of what I smelled in Blood Moon..kind of like a grain or something..I agree with Khaman on this..and I am a bit worried..because that particular lunacy was very hit or miss. :P Keeping my fingers crossed that this behaves.

Couple of minutes on skin: Okay..the hyssop and spices have softened and melded to the golden amber with the patchouli lending a light but present hand within the mix. It’s not a dark blend on me..but it indeed is warm and a bit dry…I do like it very much. Different to Bastet which I love so I feel good at this point that I have both of them. I like how the patchouli plays with the amber in this blend…it really is beautiful. Don’t get me wrong..I have learned to love Beth’s patchouli blends; she’s masterful at creating these different facets with it.

2 hours later: I have to admit this..but..I’m not in love. :D I thought I would be…there was much promise..but…it’s just not happening. Something in here reminds me too much of Blood Moon ; that grain-like note coupled with perhaps cinnamon/cassia..although it is softened and in total..smells nice..it just doesn’t wow me. I wanted so much to be in love..to jump on the bandwagon of love..but all I can do is keep it at an arms distance and say it’s nice. I like it.

I keep furtively sniffing my wrist every couple of minutes..hoping that I will change my mind and then completely love it…so far..no good. :)

Darn.

Lasting power clocks in on me at around 4 hours with throw moderate.

Bottom Line: Mr. Jacquel indeed is evocative; dry a tad dusty and spicy warmth it held such promise for me. Alas..whatever is in there that shares ties with Blood Moon prevents me from loving it. I already have more than enough fragrances that I like; this will be going to the sale/swap pile.

Warm and spicy patchouli with maybe a touch of something herbal and resin-y. Very deep and mysterious and lovely <33