I love it not! these things are less to me
Than the thin foam that frets upon the sea,
Less than the thistle-down of summer air
Which hath no seed: better to stand aloof
Far from these slanderous fools who mock my life
Knowing me not, better the lowliest roof
Fit for the meanest hind to sojourn in,
Than to go back to that hoarse cave of strife
Where my white soul first kissed the mouth of sin.

A sophisticated traditional gentleman’s cologne, with just the slightest taint of patchouli’s passion, tonka bean’s decadence, the philanthropy of bergamot, moss’ cynicism, the sharp wit of lavender, and the hopeless romantic longing of jasmine and thyme.

SQUEEEEL with joy that I get to be the first to review Wilde! I'm absolutely in love! Only fitting, I suppose. Swoon.

This is very much a mens cologne. Much more a 'cologne' smell than any of the other oils from the Lab I've smelled to date. Not that this is at ALL a bad thing. I LOVE IT. I'd roll around in it buck naked if I could... and wouldn't get a migrane. It's so complex and incredibly delicious. On me, it turns into pure sex. Thank god. I have to admit, makes me wanna touch myself. Ahem. *plays the song*

Anyway :P It's an incredible scent, both wet and even moreso dry. This may well become my 'signature' scent.

It definitely has a masculine/musky scent. That said, I am in love with it and have worn it almost constantly since receiving it in the post. It smells amazing on my skin and as posted before, I can't stop smelling myself. This is a warm, sexy scent...and I plan on buying a bigger vial for myself. I might make my husband wear it, as well...but I might just be selfish and keep it. :P

Ok, I admit it... t'was the poem that made me decide to order this scent :P I adore Oscar Wilde's work. At first, I was not too happy with this scent. But I didn't give it much of a chance after the first whiff. So I let it be for a few days, and then went back to it.

First whiff: Hmm. This smells very much like one of my Dad's colognes. Not sure which one, because he has so many, but it's really something he'd love. The lavender is VERY pronounced. The jasmine and thyme, not so much. But, they're in there balancing out the lavender just enough to make this scent work as well as it does.

On: My chemistry brought out the thyme more, but, oddly, as much as this is a more masculine scent, I like it. It's clean, and it's not heavy or overpowering. In fact, it's quite enlightening - if that makes any sense.

An hour or so later: The scented has dried down, and become more sweet than I figured it would. The lavender is even more pronounced now, and I'm not sure how that would go over with a man who may decide to wear this, but, I'm liking it because I LOVE lavender. I get this feeling that my body chemistry didn't do it as much jusitice as other people's may.

A VERY interesting scent!

-Leslie

First sniff: Hmmm. Out of the bottle, Wilde smells a bit like fabric softener – clean and comforting in a very homey way. There’s a touch of citrus and a whisper of clear water, but mostly it’s laundry.

Wearing: No question about it – on me, this scent is a gentleman. It’s not quiet so much as polite – standing back to let me go first and not drawing attention to itself. Definitely not the rogue I was expecting from some earlier reviews, but I like it all the same – this isn’t pure animal sex, it’s a freshly shaven man who likes to snuggle.

I got an Imp's Ear of Wilde for my boyfriend (who likes fresh, clean scents) and it immediatey turned into something reminiscent CK-1 on him....which really isn't a bad thing at all. It was also sexier and less alcoholy than CK-1 (that would be because it's an oil, yes, duh). I love it on him. He really seems to like it on him. Now, if I could only get him past the "perfume oils are for girls, though" pish-posh.

I would recommend this scent to anyone who likes shower-fresh, rain-clean, masculine but not machismo scents.

This scent would be great for a guy who has to wear a suit to work. It is so upscale. This scent is masculine and yet bright and sunny. I wish I knew a guy who would be the kind of guy to wear this.

It's really beautiful.

I LOVE IT. I'd roll around in it buck naked if I could... and wouldn't get a migrane. It's so complex and incredibly delicious. On me, it turns into pure sex. Thank god. I have to admit, makes me wanna touch myself. Ahem. *plays the song*

Um I totally agree with that qoute!!

Wilde is me sneaking out on the town as a boi. It smells absolutely handsome. Its floral, but w/ it comes this masculinity.(it may inspire exssesive rubbing ) :P

The bergemot peaks after the first hour or so and fades a bit w/ the jasmine undertone alive and kicking underneith it. It smells so good you want to rub it, savor every Phase of it, till it becomes you. Great for an *intimate* massage (that is it inspires raw sex) but not to be rubbed in intimate places please!! :D A great scent to mix with UltraViolet as well.

very yummy. i like to carry my little imp around and dab it on myself, and my cute guy friends :P

smells very clean, yet intoxicating. i may even have to get myself a bottle of this one :D

at first: i was dying to try this just because of the name, but the description drew me in more. i was so excited to see this included as an extra in my order. it smells like a cologne a very sophisticated man would spend a lot of money on. i can't wait to try it.

on: smells like, well, men's cologne. however, it seems more complex and...softer somehow. it's very interesting on me.

1.5 hours later: much lighter and softer. very nice. i'm surprised i like this. i'm not sure which notes i'm smelling, but they're interesting.

5 hours later: pretty much gone.

overall: this didn't do much for me, unfortunately. this is definitely one for the swap pile.

Thanks to Vaniclion and others on the Recommendations forum, I ordered an imp of this for my boyfriend. As soon as I smelled it, I knew he was going to love it. And I love it, too, on him AND on me! I was worried about the lavender, since often that smells kind of "aromatherapy" to me, but in this blend, it just lends a subtle herbal note. Mainly, it is a very complex blend with a crisp, citrus waft to it (mostly lime), it really reminds me of expensive European colognes that you can't find in the US. Lasting power is very good for a citrus blend, it wafts for a couple of hours and remains for hug sniffs for at least eight. My boyfriend immediately placed an order for a big bottle of this and he's a REALLY hard sell :P

Unlike the other BPAL scents I've tried so far, I'd say this one could easily pass for a department-store fragrance. Granted, that could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on the fragrance, and your personal point of view. But to me at least it smells like a NICE department-store fragrance. Also, though the "masculine" BPAL scents have seemed perfectly wearable and gender-neutral on me before--for instance, Jolly Roger is just aggressively clean on me and not masculine at all--Wilde definitely strikes me as a men's cologne. It smells very much like one of the newer, fresher, expensive herbal-citrus fragrances for men out there. Reminds me of browsing the high-end duty-free fragrance shops at Heathrow Airport, to be specific. It's worldly and sophisticated and modern. Not sure I'd wear it much myself, but if you know a guy who likes one of those scents, you could probably save a bundle by switching him from his overpriced brand name to Wilde, and still have him smell delicious. :P

Ack! Bottled Bloke!

When this arrived, I passed this straight onto my partner without a sniff and let him decide on it. He said it was too floral for him and gave it back to be swapped. I've only now tested it out of curiosity, and gah! It smells like Bloke for Men at Clinique or something!!

My useless Virgo ex wore Lynx constantly, and that clean, cool masculine smell is very similar to Wilde. I don't get any florals at all (well, not what I'd call florals on first sniff) but instead a blend that is simply pure, generic male. It's stuck to my fingers from opening and closing the vial and it's disturbing me :D There's something else there, which is stronger and slightly deeper than Lynx, like a hint of Old Spice. Ack, now I smell like my old IT teacher. He was a dude, but still. It dries down to a masculine, almost mainstream scent, clean, with an undercurrent of lavender and spice. It is light Old Spice, by the end on me.

But this is going in the swaps box. I have absolutely no wish to smell like that deadbeat ex. FAO Anita_Blake, if you wander across this thread, this is that floppy-haired b*****d, bottled.

:D

Now there's an idea :P *makes stuffing motions*

This is the first BPAL scent I've ever tried - what a great way to start out!

In the bottle: Very male scent - clean, crisp, something that my husband might use as an aftershave.

On the skin: Still masculine, but full of citrus - like walking through a lime tree grove. There's a hint of something deeper in the background but my unsophisticated nose is stymied. My wrists burn a little where I've put it on.

Two hours: Not quite as citrusy, has almost a powdery scent with something very masculine underneath. Still yummy and my skin has stopped tingling.

Five hours: Have to sniff my wrists to smell it - the citrus has faded completely and left a sexy afterglow. Could be the bergamont?

Overall, this reminds me of coming home on a chilly winter day, slipping of my coat and sliding my arms around my toasty warm husband. Pressing my cold nose to the curve between his shoulder and neck, this is exactly the way I'd want him to smell.

This is a keeper for sure - if not for me, then for hubby.

Nemo

More than any BPAL I've tried, this smells like an upscale cologne. Perhaps that's why it reminds me of shopping so much, the department store factor. I really like it but there's some indefinable assocation with a past boyfriend... not sure who but it's making me uneasy. This is a cheerful citrus/lavender scent, very clean, fresh and uplifting for winter.

In the bottle: Hi, put me on a boy! I'm really nice smelling and you know you want to bury your face into a neck that smells like this. Please, put me on a boy. Smells so good but instantly makes me think boy.

Wet: (It almost seems wrong to put it on my female wrist). This smells like the green tea lotion that I got as a present one year at Christmas. It's not all green tea, but it has the same sharp crispness that that did. Maybe I could wear this after all. It's so nice and herbal on me, so fresh and green and screaming of life and running through verdant meadows laughing. There is a nice lime kind of undertone on this.

Dry down: Well, hello tonka bean. I had almost doubted your existence. There's some moss, too, but it's not reacting the same way that the moss in Bayou did. Now this is a calmer, more sedate green. That darker green that lounges around your feet in the afternoon. The florals provide a nice undertone without becoming overpowering. Rather they just provide a depth to the greenery. This is so lovely. I'm not sure my boy will like it, though, and it might be too masculine for me.

Dry: Still green tea and lavender. I'm completely in love with this blend. It may have masculine phases but I'm keeping it. I have a hard time finding green scents that don't make my nose and allergies run for the hills, but this is one of them. It's strong while still having a light, playful hand. Even that hint of patchouli isn't bothering me. I love this. Love it. Love it. I'll have to wear it a little more to see if I can pull it off. If I can, big bottle for me. I want Wilde lotion.

I first put this on my husband, as he really needs a scent other than "kitchen".

I was immediately put off, and confused at having such an immediately bad reaction. It didn't smell bad at all - it just made me feel wrong.

Later, I tried it on myself. Same strange reaction - and this time I knew why. Wilde is a dead-ringer for whatever cologne DH's buddy wears. Too much association - I don't want my hubby to smell like another man! :P

It's a very overtly sexy-stud kind of smell - a cologne for a guy on the prowl. It is much nicer than it's department store doppleganer, so I'll be passing my imp along to our friend.

Origin:

Lagniappe from the Lab. :P

First sniff:

Hmm, this is pretty masculine smelling. Like Vicomte de Valmont, it reminds me of generic men's cologne for some reason. I get a bit of thyme and lavender, but the rest is lost in the generigc cologne smell. It's not a bad smell, just not what I want in a BPAL oil.

Wet on skin:

In spite of the generic cologne vibe, I may give this to the boy because I'm trying to lure him into loving BPAL and this would be a (it kills me to say this about Beth's creations) intermediate kind of scent between what I consider true BPAL and generic cologne. It smells a little darker now and less citrusy/herbal. I can smell the moss in the far background and the bergamot, lavender and thyme in the foreground. It's a nice, generic masculine kind of smell although I'm sure a woman could easily pull this off. :D

Dry down:

Tonka bean, maybe? I smell something vaguely creamy smelling here in addition to the notes I smelled when it was wet. There's also a hint of patchouli now, so my boy may not like it. He hates smelling like a "stinky hippie," even in small amounts. :D

The bottom line:

Not bad. A little generic, but not bad. I don't think I'll be keeping it, though, since it's not my kind of scent and the boy wouldn't like it. Off to swaps with it!

I don't know half the notes in this to try to pick any out accurately except the lavendar which stays fairly tame throughout. Wilde isn't too masculine, not on me. It's soft, breezy, crisp and white. It's intoxicating, the way a beautiful man will catch your eye and you end up staring without meaning to. It's the grace in a cat's walk, and that stalking look in a man's eye when he sees something he wants. That is what Wilde is on me.

I'd love this on a man - its crisp clean and confident smelling - it would go fabulously with a suit. I want to bury my nose into the neck of a man that smells like this. It sort of reminds me of Cool Water.

Dont care for it on me though. Will have to make the man try it on.

It's very male. I just reviewed Jolly Roger and I probably can't wear this one for another reason: It makes me smell like my dad and that is damned creepy for me.

It smells great. Lavender, tonka bean and bergamot surround my nose in Victorian decadence. Then moss and patchouli show up with just a faint breath of floral.

I love this. I just don't like it on me. I want to bathe Boy in this and sizzle. Or I could see this being worn by a girl dressed in a tux and top hat or as a dandy.

Actually, as I wear it, it is getting too strong on me. I hope it dies down soon. It is a little too much. Very manly and commanding!

It is giving me a headache now. Wow, if you like strong oils, Wilde is your man!

Edited by Madame Nyx

I LOVE this. Unfortunately, not on me. It smells very "fancy", which I suppose is appropriate, but also very masculine. A good majority of commercial colognes make me positively ill but this maintains the same vibe while being positively delicious instead. I want a boyfriend now.

I definitely smell the tonka bean underneath everything but I have no idea what's creating the "fancy cologne" smell. I do detect something vaguely floral, so I guess I smell the jasmine. Luckily I know what I DON'T get- patchouli. Blech @ patchouli, thank goodness it doesn't ruin this blend!

If you're looking for a good masculine BPAL scent, you better include this one in your order. :P

Edited by luxuria

This was a giftie from the Lab.

In the imp: Very masculine.

Wet: Wow! This smells very close to department store cologne.

Drydown: I really can't pick out the notes in this. It's very nice.

Final thoughts: Way too masculine for me. But ah, it's a shame I don't have a boy to dab this on. I'd love to smell it on a guy's skin.

In the Bottle: Oh! So masculine! This is actually reminding me a lot of Obsession for Men. They've stopped making it, and my hubby is really upset. He smells divine in it, but we had to trade it out for Spark, which is also very good on him too. Hmm...this might be the thing for me to show him that would get him into BPAL hardcore.

On Me: Dead Ringer. I am so Squeeee'ing over this right now!! This is totally gorgeous and just makes me think of my hubby. He is so going to love this. I better order him a big bottle right away!

Le purrr!

Out of the imp... lavender and something very sharp, it tickles at my nose.

On, this is an interesting blend. It smells like a spicy floral. I get spice from lavender sometimes, so I think that is it here. The bergamot lends a citrus scent, the tonka sweetens it a bit, making it softer.

The first time I wore it the jasmine took over after about 1/2 an hour. And I don't really like jasmine all that much! :P

The second time it stayed in the background. I loved it the second time around. :D

Mmmm. This smells like a fabulous men's cologne. I can't pick out individual notes, but it's a very clean scent. As it dries, it becomes sweet--almost too sweet. Ack. It's become like a cologne by Calvin Klein... I can't remember which (Obsession for Men?), but a horribly clingy male friend of mine wore it. It gives me a headache. I'm sure I'd find Wilde lovely if not for that memory. :P

Ah, I see TheDarkMother has made the Obsession connection as well. :D