Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

An ethereal bouquet of night-blooming flowers. Evening primrose, ruellia, flowering nicotiana, wild petunia, panani-o-kai, night phlox, night gladiolus, moonflower and the elusive scent of Nottingham Catchfly.

I received this as a freebie imp (thanks lab!) and I adore it!

Who knew I'd have a thing for florals!

It is a complex floral bursting with fragrance. I am not familiar with the scents of the flowers in the description, but to me it smells like a bunch of daffodills and lillies. It smells of spring with a whisper of powder. It has a magic to it -- something fairy.

It's clean, youthful -- definitely not an "old lady" floral. It is similar to Szepasszony on me, except without the acquatic notes.

I'm afraid my "bigger bottle wanted" list is getting out of control already!

In the imp and wet, Midnight smelled like a delicious bunch of white flowers. Complex, elegant and sophisticated, with a hint of powderiness. A very white/pale blue scent.

After a few minutes, the powderiness becomes more prominent. Midinght turns into a very round, silky scent. It is soft in a tactile sort of way, but it certainly doesn't lack intensity. There is something in the texture of this blend that I instinctively associate with white silky fabric. However, the downside is that when it dries down, the intense floral powderiness of Midnight also reminds me of fabric softener. For one or two hours, this association becomes so strong that I am afraid it will completely ruin this scent for me.

Thankfully, after complete drydown, the powderiness fades away, leaving only a gorgeous bouquet of white flowers on my skin.

I will have to try Midnight a couple more times to see how the drydown goes. I think it is a keeper anyway. This is a lovely floral, but don't think whispy, faint floral here. It is quite intense. I applied sparingly this morning and it is still going strong four hours later.

I am wearing Midnight on one wrist and Belle Epoque on the other so I am immersed in flowers! :P

Midnight smelled immensely sweet straight from the bottle but immediately dried to a soft, silky floral with an intense violet blue note that pokes through. I love it. It doesn't seem to have much throw but I will try again later. This is a keeper.

In the bottle: mildew???? Ummm hoping it changes when it meets my skin.

wet: shew, no mildew, how odd. It is a flower garden on a summer night. High humidity, heat, and flowers.

dry: stays pretty true to the wet smell.

I am not really a summer flowers girl, gonna be swapping this one even tho it is a beautiful scent it just wouldn't be worn if I kept it. :P

What a deep, lush, fragrance!

wet: Strong, but not objectionably. Roses, jasmine, musk, orange flower?

dry down: lingering smell of musky, amber rose. It does smell like flowers at midnight, in a quiet grove.

Midnight

This was a freebie from the lab. Thanks!

Preconceived notions: Hmmm... maybe too floral, but this sounds very intriguing.

In the vial: Definitely what I’d call, warm, white and lavender (color, not scent) evening flowers. This is a summer night, in a garden, with the moon shining down - a full moon.

On me: This is definitely floral, but it’s a warm, soft, sweet, floral. I don’t get anything overly harsh, although I can smell the herbal greenness of the stems. This is definitely a secret, magical garden of blooms, not some flowers cut and set in a vase with water.

Over time: This doesn’t exactly change much, though different notes come to take prominence at different times. I cannot identify any of them, though they are all floral or herbal in one way or another.

Overall: This is a very mysterious, secretive scent. While I know that Tarot: The High Priestess exists, I could see Midnight as a good stand in. This is a keeper, and I could easily see getting more of this, though I’ll probably never wear it out. It it too secret and sacred for that. I’ll be wearing this in Goddess-centered rituals.

Midnight - I think this came from RHM's auction!

In the bottle: Light florals. Kind of expensive soap.

On me/wet: Still smells of expensive soap. I'm unfamiliar with most of these flowers, so nothing is really standing out for me. However, I'm catching the same unpleasant undertone that I got from Blood Lotus. :P Too bad, because I wanted to lovely moonlit florals that everybody else got!

I think this one is going to swaps, so someone else can enjoy the southern summer florals.

EDIT: Wow, all of a sudden this morphed into a gorgeous scent with a silky, powder-like feel. I feel like I should be wearing silk underwear now...

Edited by scourgeotheseas

I like florals, so I thought I would really like this. Actually, it's nice, but I'm not overwhelmed and I'm a little bit sad about this. It could be because all the flower notes in this blend so well together and I'm used to Beth's blends having stand-out notes. (I kept sniffing it in the bottle and it didn't smell like anything to me!) It's nice, but it smells generic to me. (I really hate to say that, but I can't think of a better term for it.) As scents go, this is nice, but nothing spectacular on me. But, as I said, the weakest of Beth's blends are still 20 million times better than any other perfume on the market. I'm also aware that, since so many others have liked it, it may just be my whacky chemistry!

This reminds me of a designer perfume that my step-grandma used to wear. I like it enough to test it again, but probably won't keep it because the association with the grandparental unit doesn't make me happy.

It does smell like a more mainstream perfume, high on the floral. There was something I didn't like about it when I tested it out a few weeks ago. But I can't remember what it was now.

Oh, it reminds me exactly of AIRS' Silk.

Edited by Madame Nyx

Ohh.. this is heavenly. Strangely enogh- I feel like I'm smelling cotton blossom and evergreen for some reason. But it's not pungent- it's clear and soft. The floral is very peaceful. Very tranquil...

This was odd: First time I tested it, I couldn't smell a thing. Second time, with a heavy application, I got the faintest hint of light sweet flowers but it disappeared in minutes. Third time, I got petunia and phlox, high and sweet, and it lasted all day.

Those are the only flowers I get out of this though, none of the heady humid white blooms other reviewers have noted. The petunia & phlox don't seem to meld with my skin, they just sit on top, and something about it reminds me of the smell of the knock-out gas used by the dentist when I had a tooth pulled once.

Since the scent has been developing over time (the three tests were over the course of 2 or 3 weeks) I think this may need to age for a while, and I'll give it another go.

ETA in July: Nope, this never works on me. Stays cold and sickly smelling. I love actual night-blooms; they just wouldn't come out in this.

Edited by Rosabella

Midnight

In the imp: a sweet, green, slightly tangy fresh floral-I can't identify the flowers in the description or the scent itself, but it's floral. Reminds me of a lush, tropical garden filled with unusual flowers, and dew.

Wet on skin: still that fresh, tangy wet floral, and greenness. Very interesting.-it reminds me of something but I can't quite put my finger on what it is. Maybe

Dry on skin: this is reminiscent of a warm summer night-time in an exotic garden, it's a very lush, moist floral-very different from your usual florals, this is an unusual flowery smell which I cannot recognise, but I like it. I can just imagine moths and bats flitting about, and the starlight reflected in dewdrops on the tips of petals illuminated by moonlight. Poetic, huh?

Verdict: this is a gorgeous, different floral, it's a lush, liquid smell, reminds me of hot humid tropical nights filled with exotic, unusual and fragrant blooms 'scenting the moonlight' (omg I swear BPAL's turning me into a poet!!!) it's got a tangy green freshness to it, light the coolness of the night after a warm day, or like the evening's dewdrops on grass. Very nice indeed.

Rating (on skin): 2/5

Summarised in a word or two: Flowers!

In the imp/bottle: Beautiful, cold flowers.

On skin, wet: This is warmer on my skin, which is disappointing, since I prefer cold floral scents. It's a proper bouquet of flowers, wherein I can't really pick out any one flower/scent/note.

On skin, dry: This has a weak throw and no staying power. There's barely a trace of it by the one hour mark.

Conclusion: For a floral, its nice -- but I don't really dig florals.

Edited by Aredhel

Initial Sniff: Floral and dark. Not dark in a sinister way, just in an inky sky way.

Wearing: This stays very true to the bottle scent on my skin. Just beautiful!

Final Impressions: Like someone else said, this is like walking in fragrant summer garden in the dark of night, your way lit only by the moon. Absolutely gorgeous.

Fresh herbal-floral. :D

It's a garden of country flowers by night.

I can't pick any note beside the others, they are perfectly blended.

It has something private and talks about intimacy.

I can see a Victorian garden with ivy and little roses, in a full moon night. :P

In the bottle: This sounds like it could be pretty good. Or maybe not. This has an odd floral smell in that...it's...I don't know. There's a note in there that's kinda sickly. Like flowers on a grave cast in moonlight. They're pretty, but there's also something kinda sinister about it.

Wet: Yes, that's what it is. An herbal floral smell, which is why it seemed a little off to me at first. This does keep the same scent it had in the bottle once it touches skin. My skin doesn't always like herbal, though, so we'll have to see.

Dry down: There's a lovely cold sweetness to this tempered by the slight herbal tones. This is actually a very pretty blend even though it's a lot different than what I had originally thought it would smell like. It's light and floral and a little breezy. This is the smell of passing flowers in a graveyard that is not spooky. My only problem is that the herbal is starting to go a little sour on my skin. It's the bad thing between herbals and I. They don't stay nice for long on me.

Dry: The herbals have gone sour and the sour smell completely takes over leaving those lovely, sweet florals way behind on my skin. I really could have loved this one. :P

Wet, Midnight is a combination of very pale, sweet florals. It’s almost powdery and yet it has that almost alcoholic tinge of a department store perfume.

It goes on ultra strong when first applied but instantly settles down into a soft, comforting blend. This is one of the most feminine fragrances I’ve tested from the Lab thus far. It makes me think of summer dresses and white blooms. But it’s not heady or overpowering like some white flowers tend to be.

As far as throw goes, this one doesn’t strike me as very strong. I have to put my wrist to my face and inhale deeply to really get its full effect. But I think it would be cloying if it was too powerful, so this seems suitable to both the oil and its concept.

Personally, I wouldn’t wear it as it’s exceedingly floral girlie (not that I have anything against girlie, but I prefer candy girlie instead of floral girlie more often than not). My Mom might enjoy it, though, so I’ll pass it along to her and maybe finally lure her into the BPAL cult. :P

My very first review of my very first sniff of my very first BPAL imp, so please be patient with me!

In the bottle: sharp, green flowers

Wet on skin: The green vanishes quickly leaving behind a lovely, full floral smell with something tart standing behind it.

twenty minutes later: the tartness fades leaving a warm, rich floral smell

several hours later: This is just lovely. It a dark warm purplish scent that somehow makes me think of violets though there are no violets in it. It is soft, but it is true that it would be overpowering with more throw. It is a powerful, private scent that makes me think of sitting alone in a garden by night. I don't get sadness, though. For me this is a happy scent.

I can't stop smelling my wrist. If all BPAL is this good I am in biiiiiiig trouble!

It's totally sweet, white florals, which are not my thing. There is definately a little vanilla, tonka, or something like that underneath the florals to round them out. However, I agree with others who have said it's a lot like more commercial floral perfumes than other BPAL. In that respect, it would certainly make a good gift for someone who you think might not be ready to make a big change from their department store perfume to get them hooked on BPAL.

I have to admit that I have NO idea what any of the notes listed smell like...this definately smells floral--almost anise-like, in fact! I'm reminded of the lovely Lolita Lempicka perfume :P, and like LL, Midnight is a cool, breezy, dark purple, shadowy yet not sinister perfume--truly the scent of the night! :D

Very bright floral on me. Something reminds me of Pele...I cant pinpoint what it could be. Although very beautiful this one is too girly for me. I like them earthier. I am so glad to have tried it though as with all of Beth's scents.

In the Bottle: Floral with a hint of green to it.

On Skin: A very wet floral. This is very flowery. It's pretty and the hint of green prevents it from turning to cloying.

On Drydown: Still floral. I can't pick out a specific flower smell. It is that well blended.

Verdict: Very pretty. But I don't think it's me. Off to the swap pile it goes.

midnight.jpg

Must be the Nottingham Catchfly that makes Midnight so elusive. It's like no other floral I have encountered. Almost astringent but obviously a floral (that sounds like a contradiction), very clean and adult but playful at the same time. There is some kind of musk in there which is very popular but sharp, however it goes with the florals real nice and makes it last. This one does indeed smell like a "department store" perfume, but that is meant in a good way. Midnight is a good choice for the person who is really conventional but likes to kick up their heels from time to time.

(I'm finding the less I like a scent the less inclined I am to review.)

In the imp: floral, not bad, jasminey.

On me: astringent floral.

Verdict: Meh to ew. Swappable.