Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Heretic

Isaac, the Living Skeleton (2006)

Bourbon, tobacco, dry bone, bay rum aftershave, and sleazy cologne.

Isaac blew the doors of BPAL wide open for me. It made me questions everything I thought I knew about the notes I can and cannot wear. Before Isaac, I hated boozy notes; tobacco was sickening; masculine blends were too dark. I never would have sought this out, but a kind forumite sent a sniffie of it along with several CD testers I was looking for, and I'm so glad she did. Isaac opened up a whole new category of BPAL for me, which I had shied away from until now.

The base of cheap men's cologne is very reminiscent of Old Spice, but mixed with the strong booze, the dry bone, and the tobacco, it is so unusual and SUPER SEXAY! Isaac the Living Skeleton is what The Most Interesting Man in the World would wear, about which he'd surely say, "I don't always wear BPAL, but when I do, I prefer Isaac the Living Skeleton."

A kind forumite frottled me a partial of this! I had JUST tried the new release, and found myself wondering how it would age, so this is awesome. I note the only difference in formulation is that this older version has tobacco, and the new one has "black tobacco tar".

Wet: Oh wow, this is HUGELY different! Much more "sleazy cologne" whereas the new one is lots of bourbon and tobacco. This has lots of bay rum too, but it's behaving itself. I actually enjoy this as well, but find it a bit more masculine than the new formulation. I almost get hints of....apple...? Huh.

Dry: This is so so different from the newly released Isaac! This is alllll about the sleazy cologne/aftershave, which is quite nice, but I think too masculine for me. I find the new version's tobacco and bourbon scent much more up my alley. It was really cool to compare these, though! I haven't gotten to try very many of the older Carnaval Scents, they came out while I was on hiatus due to no funds, so it's cool to try them now!

This perfume comes off a little powdery to me- I think I am getting the cologne more than anything! I don't pick up much on the booziness or tobacco, which is kind of a bummer to me. I find it to be incredibly inoffensive, but also not really something I am loving. I don't hate it, but it's not wowing me! I think you could probably get away with gifting this to just about any regular ol guy and he'd like it. I was expecting something a bit sleazier, but to my nose it's mostly just a pretty standard and decent masculine scent. Probably will hold onto it because I love the label, but I don't see myself wearing this much.