Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Heretic

Isaac, the Living Skeleton (2006)

Bourbon, tobacco, dry bone, bay rum aftershave, and sleazy cologne.

What on earth makes the scent of "dry bone"? Whatever it is, it's in there. I get a gentleman's strong cologne-like scent with dry bone and a touch of bourbon alcohol. It works. It works so well with the art. It's not something I can wear myself but it doesn't smell too bad on my husband. :P Edited by Shollin

In the imp, Isaac has the sharpness of aftershave and cologne, with the tinge of tobacco (like a pile of snuff).

Wet, it's definitely still sharp - the bourbon comes out with the aftershave and cologne. This smells like a film noir detective who got drunk after losing a case.

This smells almost woody when dry - very faint, but nice. I would call this more masculine than feminine, but it's very subtle.

Review of Isaac from a fella's perspective. (This is my first review, so if it dissolves into hyperbole, please excuse me.)

Isaac is a strange, murky gentleman; spicy honey and old fashioned shaving foam and deep, dusty grime. On the skin, he becomes more subtle, nuanced, but no less interesting. The cacophony of heavy sweetness from the bottle mellows and changes to slightly acrid and something vaguely sinister, like dried whiskey on velvet. He departs quickly though, leaving behind only faint wisps of honeyed alcohol and ash.

More throw on Isaac would make him too much for most people: he's a bold scent, but I found myself wishing he was as outrageous on me as he is in the bottle. Isaac is, however, a scent of first impression, so a little goes a long way. Reapplication is going to be a must if you want him with you all day.

One line review: Isaac, the Living Skeleton is all sleaze and little substance; initially bold, boozy and grimy but quickly dissipates like a ring of smoke.

First Impression: Ammonia and mint.

Dries down to: A sweet note appears and the ammonia goes away.

Additional Comments: I have no idea where I'm getting mint from. None of the notes are obvious to me and it's also very short-lived on me. Not one I'll miss when it's gone.

Lasted: About an hour.

Rating: 1.5 out of 5.

In imp: eye-watering booze

Wet on skin: cologne and booze

Dry on skin: cologne and booze

*coughs* This is a little strong for me.. and reminds me of too many holes-in-the-wall I've been dragged to.

On me, Isaac is caramel and booze (I'm not sure if that's the rum or the bourbon) and cologne. It's sleezy but still a little sexy. I suspect it'll age beautifully.

Initial thoughts: ... It's bad that I really like the stamp collection line. Isaac is also one of my favourite boy's names.

On the subject of the scent itself - tobacco, bay rum, cologne? I like it!

In the bottle: A slightly spicy, warm cologne, without being too sharp or astringent... hmm, nice.

On the wrist, wet: Smoky, tobacco'd bay rum and a bit of bourbon... this reminds me a little of Herr Drosselmeyer or Hellfire, actually - I'm surprised there isn't leather in it.

Drydown: Sweet, warm, pungent tobacco cologne... This is very like Herr Dross, but lighter, and sleezier, and less 'hot' - and boozier! It's a very playful, sleezy kind of men's scent... I really quite like this.

This is a nice smelling fellow. I find it smooth, almost dry, with a hint of masculine cologne and a splash of tobacco rum. Oddly enough, it smells almost piratey but since most of the pirate inspired scents have not worked out for me, this one I find is more evocative.

I can see how this would be categorized as sleazy, it kinda does have that vibe going on. But hey, it works.

First on, I get something almost metallic. No booze. No tobacco. After 5 mins. I smell mint mixed in with some drugstore variety fresh deodorant. The off brand kind. Another 20 mins. and somewhere underneath wafts a memory of cinnamon. Where'd that come from?!? An hour later, mint's gone, cinnamon's gone, I get a tiny bit of cocoa (tobacco sometimes smells like cocoa on me) and light, light men's cologne. This is just a weird blend!

In Bottle: Sweet boosy tobacco and aftershave. Wet: surprisingly soft. There’s an interesting undercurrent I am guessing is the “bone.” Otherwise, much as in the bottle. I am surprised by how gentle this scent is. I was expecting something more lurid. It’s faintly fruity and musky under all that booze and tobacco. The whole effect is wildly androgynous. Dry: Sweet, dusty, rum cologne, emphasis on the rum. It really grew on me.

This one was quite a morpher - wet and in the imp it was overwhelmingly the cheap cologne. After about an hour it's a softer tobacco and bay rum scent. I'm liking this a lot! :P

Isaac intrigues me. I knew right away when I tried him, that this was a good blend for me. I'm discovering that I like tobacco and booze notes, so this is right up my alley, sleeze that I am. :P I thought there was honey in this, but it must be the bourbon. A very sweet, creamy tobacco that is o so good with the bourbon. I don't get any cheap aftershave, and there is a bit of a citrus quality to this one that makes this blend more feminine. This was a sniffie, and I'm not sure how old it is, but damn if I'm so lucky to try this before the carnival leaves town. This is one I never would have tried or bought, and very glad that I did! An unexpected bottle worthy scent, my day is made!

This blend is a combination of most things that are good in life yet considered bad for you -- yummy bourbon, good cigar tobacco, and sleazy smutty sexiness. At first its OMGHIIMBOURBON, and stays that way until it dries. I felt a sudden need for a double Maker's Mark on the rocks (my serious drinking drink of choice). Then came the cigar tobacco, distinct in its slightly nutty sweetness; my cigar loving boyfriend rattled off a brand it reminded him of, but I wasn't paying attention. It wasn't Padron was all I know, which is the only cigar I really love. But all in all...holy yummy, Batman! This is the scent of a sexy Rat Pack lounge singer!

I thought I'd reviewed this already; glad I popped in to check on other peoples perspectives, else my own would've remained private!

As a fan of boozy scents, this one was great for me. Don't judge by smelling from the bottle, though, because that really concentrates the bourbon note. It knocked me back a little, and I hesitated to try it after that. But then I did, and for that I'm grateful.

The bourbon drops back quickly on the wrist, and tobacco smoke flows out gently behind. The "cheap cologne" hides in the background, and still isn't bad the way cheap makes it sound.

Makes me want to: Listen to Dean Martin with the boys.

A favorite.

Imp: Tobacco! Tobacco and booze! I'll take "Things that seem to go together naturally" for $100, Alex.

Wet: Smells like "Nomad" by Crabtree and Evelyn down to the alcohol cloud you'd get when you sprayed it.

Dry: Something about this goes wonky on my skin. It smells like watery molasses. Definitely burned sugar and... running water. Running tap water, however. Not a running spring. The more I sniff it the more I'm like, "Why the hell do I keep smelling this?"

Throw: Mercifully mild.

Overall: Not a fan. If you don't amp sweetness I think it's probably magnificent but it's just not working on my skin today.

Inside the imp, rum and maybe some whiffs of tobacco.

Wet on the skin, a little sour. I immediately pick up the tobacco, bourbon & rum. If it makes sense, there is a dry quality to this blend even with the hard liquor notes. I'll assume this is the effect of "dry bones".

I kind of like this. Not enough for its own bottle, but enough to hang onto my decant.

Edited by angelicruin

The bourbon adds a sweet note to the top of this scent but it's not a foody sweet it mimics a slight floral sweetness on my skin. It's not sharp alcohol but more of a musky aged bourbon. The tobacco is not a top note on my skin but the cologne comes through strongly and adds to the floral illusion I get from this scent. Behind the sweet note is a boozy swarve swine who lears at women and starts bar fights.

Definitely unisex, I find this feminine on me but only because I like masculine scents and this isn't super masculine.

I think I'm in the 50% of the population which this works well with.

Whew! This is one boozy scent. Normally, I'm a big fan but here it just seems too much. The cognac and bay rum seem to be clashing on my skin. This one isn't working out so well. It becomes very sweet and almost cloying on me.

Oddly, this smells very clean and dirty (as in sleezy, not soil) both at the same times. For some reason when I smell this, it reminds me of The Most Interesting Man in the World (from the beer commercials). This is what I would imagine he smells like. :lol:

It's spicy and vaguely salty, with a hint of tobacco and booze, and a touch of cologne. I really like it, though I think it would be super sexy on my big man. :twisted:

This smells awesome in the bottle! But unfortunately my skin seems to eat all of it except the cheap cologne. Instead of bourbon or bay rum, I end up with a powdery floral scent. :ugh: Such a disappointment, especially since I love the label.

I am happy to say that this smells great on me . It does have a serious throw , so watch out applying it . None of the notes faded out on me as I went through the work day . And all notes were in play . Just a wonderful , boozy scent that I would suggest for any guy . And , best of all , I could tell that several ladies I work with were enjoying it as well the day I had it on ( doesn't always happen , sadly ) . Lots of pleasant smiles after obvious sniffing the air when they were near me that day :lol:

Somehow, this scent is very honeyed on me. I get the bourbon, and overall this is a very "blonde" scent to me. The cologne comes out after a few minutes in a sort of perfume-y, biting manner, but it's not really cutting through that initial honey stage.

It's interesting. I don't think it's something I'd wear often. I'm going to put it on DH and see how it is, then.

Light yellow oil. Surprisingly sweet, almost foody! Lots of rum (not bay rum but FOODY rum), a bit of bourbon, and overall quite, quite boozy. Maybe part of that is the 'sleazy cologne'. Cause this definitely smells sort of cheap and tawdry and tacky. Tobacco and a sort of dustiness underneath the booze.

Still very sweet, but less harshly boozy, and less overwhelmingly cologney. Overall a lot smoother and more pleasant. Much more tobacco, a really rich, toasted, almost chocolatey, verging on foody sort of note - it reminds me greatly CBIHP's 'Rich Tobacco' accord. A bit drier, in a slightly powdery floral way, maybe some orris? And I do finally get a bit of actually bay rum, an amount which balances the other notes nicely.

More powdery, almost in a black-leather, De Sade-like way. Lots of orris. Most of the booze has gone but this is still mildly sweet. The tobacco is holding, but overshadowing by the nasty powder.

Powdery, chemically, leathery sleazy cologne. Strong throw and longevity. Absolutely masculine and totally fitting (frankly it's both creepy and foul), but definitely not something I would wear.

:ack: