Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Tramp

Western Diamondback

Snake Oil with leather, tonka bean, red sandalwood, and sage.

Snake oil, sage and leather - nothing in your face about this blend... very nice, not too much throw... so glad I got to try this one! My only gripe is that I'm missing out on the Sandalwood and Tonka bean individually, but I'm sure they're contributing to the well-blended-ness of this perfume.

3.5/5

Oh. Em. Gee. :thud:

In the bottle, I was a little unsure. It had a fairly medicinal scent from the sage, and even though sage is a scent I enjoy overall, I don't like smelling too herbal. The tonka was warm vanilla-ish, which cut that a little bit, and I could pick out Snake Oil from the additions to it. I also worried it might just go straight up Snake Oil on me once applied. I love Snake Oil, but I already have a bottle of it.

Wet: Yum. Just YUM. The leather started amping, and it wasn't fake, plastic-y leather scent. It was like the real deal, a buckskin jacket that has been nicely broken in. The sage was still there, kind of more comforting than medicinal, like walking out in sun warmed chaparral. The tonka seemed a little dry, not in a bad way at all. I never got any sandalwood at this stage or later, but I did get something a little spicy, almost like cassia.

Dry: This is just GORGEOUS. Warm, leathery, vanilla spiced goodness. WAY richer than Snake Oil alone. A long time ago I had a western themed perfume that I adored. I used it up only to have them discontinue the line. This is like a non-commercial version of that, without the harsher chemical notes in perfumes I just can't take anymore. I have a strong feeling this will smell every bit as good on my man as it does me. It's a wonderful unisex scent that is drop dead sexy gorgeous. Total LOVE.

Decent throw, lasts for hours. 5/5

Slightly sweeter, softer Snake Oil with leather. I don't get any sage (I'm not complaining, mind you), but I can definitely pick out some tonka bean. On application, the sandalwood threatens to take over, but it disappears in the dry down.

It smells like how Josh Brolin should smell. :yum:

Edited by revinn

On me this one smells very much like regular Snake Oil layered with Sara Pezzini.
It definitely has leather and the Snake Oil as a base.
I thought it would be more complex than that, but I am perfectly OK with how it works on me. :D

Sniff: Surprisingly light with a pleasant sage bite

Wet: Smells almost like a pastry to me. There's something buttery and warm, just a tad spicy, mixed with the sage. I also get hints of grass and musk - I think that's from the leather. This is very subtle, not too strong, and quite comforting.

Dry: Dusty and softly herbal with a hint of vanilla and spices. The sandalwood and leather play real nice with the snake oil, creating a delicious blend that's gentle and exciting at the same time.

This scent is different every time I wear it, I swear. :) I have pretty stable skin chemistry, doesn't seem to change with time of the month of diet or medications or whatever. But sometimes, when I put this on it is pure leather (which I love, so no complaints there!) and others it is Snake Oil with leather in the background. The sandalwood, sage & tonka are all missing on me, except maybe the tonka which I can't really differentiate from the vanilla in Snake Oil. That said, I do love the scent no matter how it comes out- but leather is surely the strongest of the non-Snake Oil scents on me.

I am all about the Snake Oil and I love most of the Snake Pits I've tried, but this one simply doesn't work on me. The leather and sage are great notes alone but together they equal a scent that is just too masculine on me.

In vial: Rather reminds me of The Bow and Crown of Conquest. Mmm.

Wet: Snake Oil, luscious and soothing.

Dry: Smooth, supple vanilla leather. It tempers the sweetness of Snake Oil just enough to make it masculine-leaning. In the best way possible, of course!

Verdict: I think I prefer straight-up SO on myself, and my husband won't let me put any Western Diamondback on him. Until then...

I decided to try this one to see if the additional scents would mellow the weird transformation from spice to rubber I get with the traditional Snake Oil.

Luckily, it did do the trick. Western Diamond back is a sweeter, more herbal version of Snake Oil. Though I definitely can smell the Snake Oil it doesn’t get all rubbery on me so I’m all smiles right now. Oddly, this one reminds me of a crisper, more in your face Tombstone. :joy:

Leather. I smell leather. Once I put it on, it spikes up into a scent that causes a tickling sensation in the back of my throat. Meh. I'm not particularly pleased with it at this point. It's very sharp. I don't know if it's the age, or what, but I'm not liking it. I can't really pick out the snake oil.

After a while, I can start to pick out the snake oil, but it's still faint.

Finally the snake oil blooms, and it's like a leathery snake oil. It smells great now, but I don't think I'll be able to stand the drydown time.

Sniffed: Warm leather of the earthy, "brown" variety (as opposed to the inorganic "black" variety), sandalwood and tonka, cooled with lighter sage. Not a hint of Snake Oil.

On skin: Firstly, Western Diamondback is as good as a non-Snake Pit blend: Snake Oil is nowhere to be found, and remains AWOL from start to finish. The most prominent note is sage, herbal and bluish in scent colour. Leather and sandalwood provide a substantial base and deepen the cool sage. This woody-herbal scent feels crisp, somewhat airy, reminiscent of a high, cold desert or sub-alpine climate. Western Diamondback begins as a pleasant blend of the non-SO notes, but gradually becomes less pleasing: somewhere the sage turns astringent and bitter, and combines with brown leather (maybe the other notes) to become something stale, hard-edged and off-putting.

Verdict: Although I ended up not liking it at all, Western Diamondback is a fine specimen of a woody-herbal blend. But it fails spectacularly as a Snake Pit blend. It's going straight to swaps.

One me this is leather and snake oil, emphasis on the leather. It's nice, but not amazing. I usually like scents that are a little more complicated. On someone with the right skin chemistry maybe the leather would not amp like crazy and the other notes might come out to play.

I received an empty bottle of Western Diamondback with a teeny bit of oil (only a couple drops really) as a freebie in a forum sale about two years ago. Don't know the exact age, but it must be older than that.

In the bottle, this smells kind of musky and sweet (the tonka I assume). If I received this blind without knowing it was a Snake Pit, I wouldn't guess there was Snake Oil in this.

Managed to get a couple drops onto my skin... the leather is coming out now. It's mainly a sweet musky leather - not much Snake Oil, at least not at the very dreggy bottom of this bottle. I think I smell the sandalwood as well, giving it a bit of dustiness. I would say this leather note is closer to the "brown leather" than "black leather", and "black leather" tends to be sweeter and better on my skin, with "brown leather" being more chemical. This is pretty masculine, but I do like it. Leather, powdery sandalwood, sweet tonka. Still not really smelling the Snake Oil (and the oil was light, whereas the other Snake Oil-containing blends I've tried have been dark red.)

This is one that I go back and forth between loving and hating. I just can't tell. I love leather, but I hate snake oil (*gasp* I know, right?) But sometimes I don't even smell the leather in this. It just smells... cloying.

All I can say is... OOOH YES!!! :thud: This is a beautiful leather blend!! This is what I have been looking for in a leather scent! Most leather scents are too manly, but this is a wonderful, soft, Snake Oil and leather blend!! If you are like me and aren't into the floraly over feminine scents, then get this one!! It does have a low throw, but it is beautiful!! Perfect scent for a gal!!!!

Edited by Numanoid

In the vial I smell sage and leather, in that order. There is the tiniest whisper of warm sweetness in the background, which has got to be the Snake Oil.

For the first few minutes on my skin, it's the reverse - sweet, worn leather, slightly dusty, and sage. The Snake Oil sweetness is stronger while wet.

As it dries down, it's warm, dry, herbal - almost medicinal. It's very evocative of the Old West, so it's very aptly named. I can smell a lot of heat and dust in this scent - it's pretty amazing how dry and desert-like it is. The medicinal stage is short-lived. A while later, the sage, leather, dust and SO seem to swirl around each other, nothing really taking the forefront, everything just coming together perfectly.

After a while, it sweetens up considerably, with the Snake Oil pushing through. The sage fades, the leather sits behind the Snake Oil, but I can almost feel the dust at the back of my throat it's so strong. I think it's awesome. I get a bit more vanilla from this than from regular Snake Oil, and the sweetness is really very redolent of root beer to me. This is how it settles down and stays on my skin - root-beer sweet, warm, and dusty. This is a scent ideal for sweltering heat, despite its inherent warmth - it's just so strongly Western that it seems made to be worn in summer's dog days. That's not to say I wouldn't wear it any other time, as I can imagine the heat of it being quite comforting in colder weather as well.

I'd say the throw is medium. I didn't slather it on, because I think it could easily get overwhelming - I swiped the imp wand across each wrist a few times, and when I move my arms around my face I can catch small wafts of the scent. I think fans of leather will love it, as will people who want something sweet, warm, and very dry. It's definitely a scent that edges towards the masculine side of the spectrum, but I think it's wearable by anyone (granted, I don't think people should limit themselves to "masculine" or "feminine" scents). I'm really glad I got to try this, I will enjoy my half-imp greatly and probably grab a bottle if I can ever find one.

mother-of-god-meme-rage-face.jpg?w=300&h=225

This may be my new signature scent. The White Rider will always be at or near the top, but this is challenging it. A lot.

It's just... me somehow. Maybe a little on the sweet side because of the vanilla, that's the only slight negative, but... 10/10. White Rider is the only other scent that has that distinction in my collection.

It doesn't really morph at all over time, it stays about 40% Snake Oil, 30% leather, 15% sandalwood, 10% sage, and 5% tonka. Lasts well, moderate throw.

I've been wanting to try this for months, and I finally tracked some down in Greece. It arrived today. After my trip to Los Angeles next month, I'm going to start saving up for a bottle of this, because I know it's going to be ridiculously expensive if and when I ever find any.

So how do we get the Carnaval to come back?

Edited by catalyst

Just pulled this out of the aging drawer. Purchased 7/2011. And my what a little aging has done. Warm, smooth, soft, sleek. Everything you think of when you think of "snake". I adore it and hope to be able to find more sometime as one bottle will not be enough!

Thoughts before testing: I love Snake Oil, leather, tonka, and sandalwood, so I'm hoping that the sage (which I'm neutral about) doesn't wreck this.

Wet: Sage and beautifully worn leather. This reminds me of summertime in western Colorado and actually makes me incredibly homesick. If I sniff the back of my hand with my eyes closed, I'm transported to the desert in the heat of August and it's so dead on I could cry.

Dry down: The sweet vanilla of the Snake Oil comes to the front now and sweetens the leather into this beautiful pairing that's definitely greater than the sum of it's parts (and I adore leather/Snake Oil separately).

Dry: This smells like pouring smooth aged SO over a well worn leather jacket. The sandalwood, tonka bean, and sage aren't very apparent, and that's ok by me.

Final thoughts: I don't find this to be particularly masculine, but that might be because on my skin it's mostly Snake Oil (which pulls sweet on me) and leather. This is so fabulous, and I'm desperately hoping that when the Carnaval comes back so does Western Diamondback.

Verdict: Slathering

In-bottle, it's herbally leather with a whiff of SO. Once on me, it's much dustier, drier, and more reminiscent of men's cologne. I definitely get a sharp bite of sage in there but it is no way Thanksgiving dinner. It's earthy and beautiful. The men's cologne feel disappears quickly leaving a dusty leather with sage and hints of the SO peeking through. I picture the desert at twilight, with the beautiful but deadly snake sinuously twisting through the dust. Muzzy fuzzy leather with the sweetness of vanilla. Winner!

This is for the 2016 version

Like I posted recently for Boomslang, I missed the CD the first time around, but was able to get some W.D. along the way. I was exited to get more of this, but also looking forward to smelling new W.D. fresh from the Lab and comparing it to the aged one I have!

In bottle: sniffing side by side.....2016 and the 2010 one I have, the new one is less potent, but of course, we all know how S.O. ages to perfection.

On skin: At first, I just get S.O....which is good, but then that sexy soft leather comes through. I think the sandalwood tames the leather to make it perfect!

Dry down: Mmm....W.D. as I love and know. This isn't as strong as the 2010 one I have, but I know it will age to the best smelling sexy leather/S.O. that I love.

I love leather scents, but most I have tried seemed to be way too leathery for me... leaning towards masculine and that was never for me. If you are like me and want something more suede and sexy than in-your-face leather, then this is so for you! It is beautiful and sexy and of course more cowgirl than cowboy!! So happy to have more of this!!!!! :heart: Will be getting more back-ups along the way!

Re-released version:

ITB: Strong sugared vanilla, tonka bean, Indonesian oils, and sage.
Wet: Sugared Indonesian oils, a sensuous musk, rich tonka bean, gobs of sandalwood smoke create a scent that is vaguely foody, but more sensuous and slightly dangerous. Leather exists deep below, only detectable when I inhale very deeply. It strengthens as it starts to dry down, and sage slowly emerges, but the other notes are still dominant.
Dry: It's soft sugared vanilla and faint tonka bean, a hint of dusky leather well off in the distance, while sweet sandalwood and Indonesian oils perfumes the air. I didn't get any sage from the scent and the leather as a while was not as pronounced as I had hoped. However, I adore the Snake Pit, so it's still going to be used frequently. I'll be interested to see how it ages.

2016 version:

dunno what I can say about this except it is an amazingly delicious leather blend. I know that snake oil is in it, and I do get hints of the snake oil components, but western diamondback doesn't scream snake oil variation at all. doesn't even whisper it. instead there's just this most perfect vanilla resin magic leather (seems soft and worn and brown to my mind rather than shiny patent black). totally adore this! :heart:

In the decant it is mostly snake oil with leather and sage glimpses. On the skin, it stays mainly that way and then softly melts away. I love it, but it defintely needs more aging.