Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Snake Oil with cocoa, teakwood, and rice milk.

in the bottle i smell the cocoa, of course, on top of something very oily and sweet - i was indifferent about snake oil, but this is a promising combo. on my skin, it's still quite patchouli-esque to my nose - i wish i was smelling more cocoa, and less snake oil. i dunno, so far it's smelling better in the bottle, than it does on my skin. i'm having the experience others have mentioned - the cocoa practically vanishes, and i'm left with sort of a basic snake oil smell, which, on me, smells a bit like a smelly leather shoe. sadly, i guess this doesn't smell that good on me. rats.

I liked this, but to my own surprise I didn't love it. I think that may have to do with it being quite fresh though -- the thing is, I lovelovelove aged Snake Oil, but I'm kind of indifferent to fresh Snake Oil; it just doesn't do anything much on me.

The cocoa in Boomslang is lovely, deep and rich and sweet, but that's really all I got, straight cocoa, and I was just hoping for something a bit more complex and Snake Oily. Today I'm getting little whiffs of Snake Oil in the late drydown, so it is there, but it wasn't showing itself last night.

I can see where this could improve a lot with aging, though; I'm hesitant to judge any of the Snake Pit oils before aging, but this one especially.

(Funny note: for some reason, the people standing beside me kept taking credit for my perfume all night long. Someone would start to say, "You smell nice!", and whoever was nearby would go, "No, that's ME! Hahaha!" Very peculiar behaviour.)

First impression in the bottle: Bitter cocoa and some dark resin, scentwise. However, I quickly notice that, like others have mentioned, the oil just isn't fully mixed. There is about a half centimeter of paler gold oil, while under that is nearly black. I have to roll and roll the bottle to finally get it mixed, every time I try it. I've never had to do that with BPAL before.

On, wet: Intense bitter cocoa. Fortunately, I love the smell of unsweetened cocoa. There are other things present, but the cocoa dominates.

Dry: Deep, dark chocolate, rich vanilla creaminess, and Snake Oil. This is the Snake Oiliest of the Pit, thusfar, for me. I am usually more verbose in my reviews, but this is pretty straightforward. Richly bitter with a touch of sweet. Snake Oil, but so much better.

The Verdict: I have always liked Snake Oil, but it has never been one of my all time favorites. The Snake Pit has added that special something and I'm in love. Boomslang is dark, rich, and lovely. It's great now, but I just can't wait to see how it ages, too.

In the vial: This smells like an expensive chocolate dessert.

Wet: iodine! :P

Dry: chocolate-y, spicy, musky and lovely. The spicy and oriental notes continue to evolve as I wear this. After thirty minutes this blend is absolutely intoxicating and divine.

Boomslang is pure happy smutty smutty goodness. That being said, if I don't get it mixed up enough, it smells like unwashed ass. And rolling it doesn't always work, so my precious -- alas -- must be shaken.

At first on my skin, it's just straight Snake Oil with just a hint of smooth creaminess that must be the rice milk. But after it's melded with my skin and melted in, the cocoa comes out and plays.

It's sexy, smutty happiness in a bottle.

Damn, of COURSE this works on my skin when Snake Oil does not.

In the bottle: Resin with cocoa.

Wet on skin: spicy vanilla cocoa, but something makes sure it doesn't go too foody. Is that the teakwood?

It's drying down cocoa over Snake Oil minus whatever made it not work on my skin before. What! I can't believe this works. It is the precious.

BOOMSLANG

In Bottle: Chocolate snake oil

On Skin: This is the darkest oil ever… putting it on it stains my skin pretty quick so apply with care. It smells delicious!!! I am usually not a fan of chocolate scents mostly because my husband doesn’t like them… and because they make me feel like a giant Hershey’s Kiss. But this is freaking beautiful. It’s totally Snake oil, but with the sweetest most tasty edge. The gorgeous spices of the Snake Oil keep it from being too foody. The teakwood gives a nice woody note that gives it further depth and the rice milk smooths it out perfectly. This is bottleworthy for sure. So sweet and sexy… instant love for me. Strong throw but it does fade a bit, medium wearlength.

In the imp: Woah, this dark like ink! No light passes through the decant :P Scentwise, it's cocoa!

Wet: Mmmm... sweet Snake Oil (not heavy on the incense like regular Snake Oil is on my skin). The chocolate is surprisingly light on me, which is nice because I can't wear chocolate blends well. It does, however, stain me since I'm about as pale as a person can be, and I'm not too crazy about this aspect of it.

Dry: Probably the most well-behaved of all the BPAL chocolates I've tried, but it does start to smell a little bit off, like a chocolate-flavored scratch & sniff sticker on my skin for a brief period of time. Once that fades, the sweet Snake Oil is what's left, but not very strong. On the whole, it's a bit faint - maybe because I was very tentative in testing it!

Unfortunately I don't think I'd get a bottle of this, as I don't think I can wear it without staining myself!

In the decant: Super thick dark dark chocolate, with a hint of Snake Oil yummmm.

On: Yum, it dyes my skin :P

And the chocolate fades a little into Snake Oil, Snake Oil, my darling Snake Oil! Apparently my skin amps SO, and that's quite alright with me. I'll roll the imp next time, to see if I get more cocoa.

A bottle of this will slither its way to me, in my next order!

(A Geek Note: I would never waste even a drop of this wonderful creature to make a Polyjuice potion :D)

I think what I have to say is going to echo what a LOT of people say, but here goes:

In the imp, this smells like wonderful, deep, dark, rich chocolate - not too sweet, but VERY chocolatey.

On me, there is an initial burst of chocolate (and it's a wonderful chocolate that works on me, unlike Bliss, which was horrible on me), but it doesn't last long, and then it seems primarily to turn to Snake Oil. And it's quite fresh Snake Oil (unsurprisingly), fresher than my imp, and it does get a little play-doh-y on me, though that's fading the longer it dries.

Right now, this doesn't do an awful lot for me (I'm a little "meh" about straight Snake Oil), but like many, I'm thinking that if I put it away for a while it might turn into something glorious. (Of course, being greedy, I might swap it for something else before then...)

To me it smells like dry cocoa and soy milk.And alittle bit of dry woods hanging out in the background.Ultimately-not for me.Although I'm going to be after an empty bottle because I absolutely ADORE all things snakes.

So, I was one of the few that HATED Snake Oil on me. It was the plastic play doh ick curse. :D

Not having high expectation of the Snake Pit, I'm surprised to find a few that are truely yummalicious on me! Boomslang is one of them. The cocoa in this is seductive, but not cloying. I keep huffing away at my wrists and going,"ummmm" The dry down does not turn on me. (thank God!) Although, this is the one snake pit that resembles Snake Oil the closest, it is a winner on me! I'm hoarding bottle's, and cannot wait to see how this beauty ages! :P

Snake oil didn't work on me. This works on me, but I don't get the cocoa that everyone else gets. I get snake oil with teak wood. It doesn't have a lot of throw. I have to really slather it on, but its hard to slather it on because its so thick and leaves me with brown streaks if I do slather it on.

I think I'm in love. Boomslang starts out smelling of rich, dark chocolate with just a hint of something underneath. Then as it dries the chocolate takes a quiet backseat to something smooth and sweet and absolutely delicious. It's sweet, dark chocolate flavored sex in a bottle. :P

Boomslang is definitely the most Snake Oily of the entire Pit.

The cocoa bomb hits you first, and it's rich and warm and very brown. This phase doesn't last very long, though.

After only a few minutes, this is straight-up Snake Oil. I actually like it less than good ol' SO - it's somehow lacking something (how descriptive). Once the cocoa is gone, it really loses it's roundness and richness. Bummer.

This is definitely the most Snake Oil-y of the three pit scents I got (Boomslang, Saw-Scaled Viper, Green Tree Viper). It is separated in the bottle, a bit of rolling mixed it up good and proper.

Wet: it is very dark! my skin is already brown so no staining though haha.

Dry: the cocoa mixes beautifully with the Snake Oil, it makes it a little richer and sexier. after a while the cocoa does fade away, leaving Snake Oil behind. the scent it leaves behind isn't as smooth and complex as the Snake Oil I am used to, but my imp of it is over 2 years old at this point so that is probably why.

Ultimately, this is lovely and warm, it'd be great for winter weather. It'd be a bit much for summer wear, though (all's good, this will give it a chance to age). :P

Edited by faifai

I was kind of wary of the chocolate, because no chocolate scents work for me, but I'm a huge fan of Snake Oil so I couldn't resist. Plus, the other reviews sort of swayed me.

It stays smooth and chocolatey and spicy all at once. It's a favorite!

I couldn't resist ordering decants of a few of the Snake Pit scents, even though I am one of the few people who actually doesn't like Snake Oil. I know, it's outrageously popular, and it may indeed be Teh Sex on other people, but on me it's mostly Play-Doh, with overtones of cheap drugstore perfume. But some of the things being added to it in this collection sounded so good I couldn't help myself.

Boomslang was actually on my "maybe" list, and I ended up getting a decant of it almost by accident. But oh my gods, I am so glad I did! This may be based on Snake Oil, but it takes it to a whole new level. The Play-Doh scent is virtually obliterated by thick, rich, dark cocoa, with a rich woody undertone. It's absolutely gorgeous. I couldn't stop sniffing myself, and ended up wearing it for three days running, even though I still had other new oils to try, which is almost unheard of for me.

The cocoa really dominates the scent in the imp, but it mellows a bit on my skin and allows the wood and the underlying incensey notes to come out more. Interestingly, the eventual drydown of it after a few hours is very similar to what the original Snake Oil smells like after that time, but that's not a bad thing... I actually liked what Snake Oil eventually ended up smelling like; it was just for those first few hours that it was wretched on me. So this way I get a bit of the one aspect of Snake Oil that i did like, plus the chocolate woody goodness.

There is so definitely a bottle of this in my future...

Grade: A

Edited by Miss Lynx

Oooh this is Love!

The cocoa mellows after a few minutes leaving a gorgeously creamy Snake Oil behind......

I love Snake Oil by itself, but this is even better...... Fresh SO has a sort of a sharp edge to it when first applied, which tones down after half an hour or so, but Boomslang doesn't have that........it's wonderful from the minute I put it on!

And I love the fact that this doesn't scream CHOCOLATE!!! too......just a lovely, welbehaved cocoa.........

Plus I like it that I can just pronounce this snake in my own language :P . My 10-year-old boy was all "Hey mom! That's Dutch!! Wicked!!" :D

Bottle: cocoa, just cocoa

Wet: same

Dry: yep, I smell the teak. I smell like my desk at work were I to spill hot chocolate made with rice milk on it about a day after oiling it.

Later: less of the teak, thankfully I no longer smell like my desk, and I can really catch the snake oil. After a long while the snake oil is dominant, but slightly sweet..and none of the teak. Very nice!

I have to agree with others, this is the Snake Oiliest of the Snake Pits. It kept threatening to turn to Snake Oil powdery unpleasantness on me, but never quite did, and I'm hopeful that some aging will help, too.

This was the first of the Snake Pit decant set I tried, because I'd seen so many raves here about it -- and I was not disappointed! It smells like a mix of dark cocoa-y richness with a bit of chai undertone -- I'm sure that sounds crazy, but it really does seem like chai without too much cinnamon and with a little cocoa instead. For me, that's a very good smell. :P

I can see why it's so popular. Definitely a keeper.

In the bottle, Boomslang smells like Snake Oil with the edge taken off by cocoa. When I go to apply it, wowzers! This is a dark, thick oil! Initial application and drydown is very much Snake Oil, softened by cocoa. I put some pure Snake Oil on the other hand to compare, and Boomslang is a much mellower scent. After a half-hour or so, I smell Snake Oil with a soft cocoa and a touch of sweetness from rice milk, but with a definite whiff of teak.

I'm a huge lover of the Snake Oil, and Boomslang is a lovely variant on the theme. To me, it's Snake Oil as worn on a South Seas island with cocoa butter, rice milk and teak wood fragrances giving it a mellow, laying-in-a-hut-on-the-beach quality. Sexy like Snake Oil, yet laid-back and yummy. Very, very, very nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P

The oil is so thick that it takes a moment to ooze down the side of the vial as I invert it to mix!

in the decant: Strongly cocoa, over Snake Oil.

on: Cocoa and Snake Oil, with a hint of teak, and a bit spicy on the drydown.

Don't get me wrong, this is great.... because it smell sof Snake Oil. In the initial wet phase, I thought it smelled like cocoa and wood, which didn't do much for me. On the drydown, it smelled exactly like my aged Snake Oil from 2005, which is a favourite of mine...

But if you like that dry woodsy chocolate scent and might be pursuaded to wear Snake Oil, this will be OMG LOVE for you.