Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
edenssixthday

The Sailor's Den

Orris, bay rum, palm, coconut meat, oak wood, tobacco, linen, blue lilac, and leather.
Wow, I can't believe I put off trying this one for so long! It's very smooth and elegant, like others have said. I get a lot of coconut (a light coconut, more akin to the kind in Obatala), rum and tobacco, but it's not at all like Elegba, which has similar notes. I think the wood and orris help keep this smooth. I really don't get any iris in this until the drydown (but really more like when it's fading than when it's just dry) when it lends a bit of sweetness. This is a lovely blend of which I will definitely get a bottle of, since my half imp isn't going to last very long!

In the imp: hunh, very light - lots of linen with a little fresh watery coconut.

On me, wet: yup, all light linen and not a lot else. I expected this to be a darker, boozier scent.

On me, dry: hmm, that linen's dirtying up now - the tobacco and orris are creeping in and making this feel a bit ominous and grubby.

Verdict: Nah, this makes me feel like I need a shower. Blech.

imp: linen and woods.

wet: wow! coconut, tobacco, leather... this is wonderful! somehow, this reminds me of ventriloquist's dummy (must be the woods).

but only if he put on some chaps and started smoking a cigar while sipping a pina colada.

dry: tobacco and leather with some well-worn woods scents.

This scent did strange, strange things to my skin. In the bottle it's surprisingly light. I can't smell the rum at all. On, I smell lilac, and something green and watery like celery. Er, maybe that's the palm? Not a bad scent, just not what I was expecting.

i like this, but it's not something that i superlove and neeeed to get a bottle of. spicy, almost cinnamon-esque underneath. a much lighter scent on top -- floral? it's like a faded perfume. i know there's supposed to be some liquor in this, but i can't find it. it's intoxicating and lovely. i'd definitely wear this again. bottle would be questionable. adult and sultry. i like it. *reads review* i don't think pirate, nor rum. looking at the picture, i can definitely see in the scent a dark velvet chair in a bar with the perfume of a courtesan still lingering.

This one reminds me to a classier Plunder. Whereas Plunder was straight up spices, this has enough of a floral component to smell more like a perfume. It was also smokier (ahhhh tobacco), and the coconut didn't make a headlock for the spotlight.

Still, in my mind, it was a pretty masculine like scent. ARRR!

Imp: A kinda sweet cologne-y scent. That doesn't do it justice, i know, but I can't pick out a single note from the others.

Wet: I get a pear like sweetness out of this, oddly enough. Over a cologney perfume. There's a wee bit of coconut floating around, but really, I can't describe the scent well. Its a fairly light scent, but is musky/woodsy and spicy and tropical and even a little watery and. undeniably intriguing.

Dry: I like the description someone used for this as "faded perfume." I can see that. Dry, I do get more of a creamy palm/coconut combo with a hint of sweet leather, and its all over the "faded perfume" note.

Overall: Pretty, but not something I would feel the need to wear often, so I can pass up the bottle.

Edited by jewelbug

When I first put this on, I sat for a minute, and then put the imp back in the "untested" box because I couldn't think of a thing to write about it.

It's been about an hour? I still can't pick out notes in it. It's a mostly smooth scent with a hint of sweetness and spicyness in its depths.

I don't know...It doesn't smell like a debauched pirate party pit...but more like how an elegant hotel might be scented...?

mmmm....I really like this. I can catch some of the coconut, rum, wood, and a very small hint of lilac in the background.

Unfortunately, my skin amps the orris so it tends to drown out most of the other notes eventually. I think I'll just have to wear this in a locket or better yet, slather it on hubby. :P

Dark, rich and very busy. A bit of coconut and spice with a dark brown base. Piratical :) Not much throw, but a very complex and interesting scent.

Wet: This goes on clean...with the leather coming out.

Dry: My skin amps the lilac in this ALOT! The coconut sweetens this and the hint of spice leaves it with the right amount of complexity. I love it and I will gladly hold on to my imp when I am in the mood to try something extremely different!

ADDED 2/26/10:

Wet: My skin has turned this into Fresh Green Peppers mixed with hot red pepper juice.

Drydown. Green peppers and red hot peppers. :eek: How odd....:think:

In the Vial: Something sharply plant-like, think I'll blame the blue lilac.

Wet: This is incredibly well-blended, even wet, I'm having a hard time discerning individual notes-- perhaps some dustiness/ powderiness from the orris (might be the coconut), clean (probably the linen), and a hint of wood and tobacco.

Drydown: Think the "darker" notes are coming forth a bit more now. I'm tempted to say I detect some bay rum and the leather.

Verdict: What a complex and amazingly well-blended perfume! I think that of all the BPAL I've had the luck of sniffing and testing, this is the most well-blended-- it's nearly impossible for me to pick the notes out of this one! I'm so glad I swapped for this decant as I htoroughly enjoy this whole experience. I'll be keeping this decant, but I'm not quite ready to make the plunge for a bottle.

I liked this a lot when I first put it on, and immediately thought I needed to add it to my bottle list for my next order. But now I'm not sure. When I first put it on, it was really nice - sweet and boozey, with some floral and maybe a hint of fruit and tobacco. I couldn't remember most of the notes, so I wasn't really able to pick out anything more specific.

Anyway, it didn't last very long at all. After about an hour, it had faded to a generic BPAL skin scent. It's the scent that I get when I open a package from swaps, or when I open my imp box to find something. It seems like a lot of scents dry down to that same BPAL scent, and this one does it too. I guess my skin chemistry just boils everything down the same way, or maybe I just need to branch out with the scents I try. :P

I'm going to keep my imp and try this a few more times to see if today was an off day, since my skin seems to be eating scents lately.

My nose has a hard time capturing this one because I've been overloading it lately.. The notes are soft and well-blended (of course.. it's a salon scent). Having grown up in Boston and heard the stories of Scollay Sq, I believe this is pretty accurate for the time period it depicts. (Scollay sq was where all the sailors poured in, from the docks. The hill perched behind it was a red light district.. that hill is Beacon Hill, which is now one of the most expensive/luxuriant/well-to-do places to live in Boston... funny how things work.) Anyways...

Wet: orris and palm, right off, with oak wood, tobacco, and blue lilac. The lilac seems to twine with the palm, otherwise I think it would just get squashed by woods and booze. The coconut meat is elusive.

Drydown: More orris, palm and lilac with pronounced spices from the bay rum. The tobacco sticks around and linen is there as well, giving this a similar feel as Herr Drosselmeyer, but with an added layer of fresh green, spice, and floral. Very nice. I can't wait until my nose is in better shape, so I can fully smell this one.

I absolutely loved this in the imp. On the skin, I get the strongest throw from the leather, softened by coconut. Usually coconut and almond scents go to baby powder on me, but not this blend. I get the blue lilac or maybe the orris at the end, which reminds me of a Blue Iris perfume I bought at Monet's garden in Giverny and have never been able to find. Not a strong throw on this one at all (which is something I like in a perfume) but if I sniff close to my skin, it's a lot of Bay Rum and spice. My husband and I agree this smells like the record & head shop where I went to college. This scent is confident, smart and a little bit dirty, good for the silver-tongued and raven-haired woman, or the hipster dude. This is also a bit paradoxical ... maybe for wearing while you drink really good gin in your tie-dye shirt and sandals.

Edited by PrimitiveEarth

In the vial: Coconut, leather and just a hint of lilac. Wow, this one's interesting!

On: This blooms on my skin. I still get all the notes I sniffed in the vial, but now they're mingling with bay rum and tobacco. Very interesting. Definitely unisex to my nose. I like it, but I don't know that I'd spring for a bottle (this might change if I find myself reaching for it more though).

Later: Slightly floral bay rum. Quite faint now, but I DID apply on the wrist and it may have rubbed off some. This IS nice, but I'm not in insta-love with it. The decant stays, though, and maybe I'll change my mind later.

I just bought a container of Lush's Big shampoo, and this is almost a dead ringer for it. I'm getting mostly cologne and orris, and it smells a bit soapy. Nice, and I feel fresh and clean wearing it, but it's not really my style.

The Sailor's Den is really lovely. It's a strong hit of orris and lilac and bay rum when wet, but it quickly becomes really balanced—a bit of coconut, a swatch of linen, a snap of leather. The tobacco, palm, and oak wood are also brought into the mix in such a way that they inform but don't overwhelm. The lilac is divine, there's just enough to soften the edges. I tested this on myself but will give my imp to my husband, on whom it will smell fantastic...I can tell already.

This is much lighter than I expected based on the notes! It is a blast of rum and coconut at first, and as it dries down, more of the lilac comes out - I love lilac, so I was pleased! I am not getting much in the way of leather, sadly. I am not sure what the linen note is supposed to smell like, so I can't comment on that.

This feels a bit like a Lupercalia scent, actually. If you're into boozy and slightly tropical, this might be up your alley!

sailor's den is initially super coconutty for me, with some nice bay rum in the background. i love bay rum and i wish it was more prominent here! as it sits it kind of starts to remind me of a more feminine calico jack. calico jane? haha. unfortunately for me, my skin apparently amps lilac like craaaaaazy and after a while that is all i get.

Edited by porcelina

Lord this is pretty from the get-go. A soft, masculine sweet cream. Throw some rum and sea-sprayed clothing in the mix and you got the sailors' den.

After a couple of minutes this becomes much less "clean" and there's tobacco, and get more aggressively masculine- that said, still very smooth. The rum fades a lot (aw) but the spices of it come out to play. The flowers fade a bit too!

Definately getting what akuaa, a few posts above, gets- though I do get some pirate-y vibes at the least. Maybe it's because I want it to be there.

I ...really do like it but the throw is not enough for me, it's barely there at all. And I already have Pirate moon and The sea rat, which both combined would remind me of this. Happy I got to try though, it's very interesting. :laugh:

Wet: Much lighter and cleaner smelling than I thought! The coconut, tobacco, and linen are mostly what I'm getting. It's quite nice!

Dry: The bay rum has come out in full force! The tobacco note is gone. There's still a clean linen smell, a little coconut, and just a hint of leather.

I much, much preferred the wet stage!