Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
maribouquet

Garden Path With Chickens

Garden Path With Chickens, Gustav Klimt.
Damp grass, ivy leaves, morning glory, daisy, rose geranium, heliotrope, white gardenia, climbing roses, peppery nasturtium, phlox, begonia, verbena and sun-warmed herbs.

A very bright, spring green floral. Pretty, fresh and beautifully balanced. The gardenia and geranium are at the fore as this dries, but not overpowering. I can definitely smell the grass, too, but it grounds the scent rather than making me feel that I've rolled on the lawn. :) I do get the sense of a garden, all the notes waving together as flowers, greenery or the clucks of chickens might do in a breeze. I am going to need a bottle of this for when April and May roll around on the lawn instead.

p.s. (1/27) This is so great on its own, but layer it with Shanghai (green tea, lemon & honeysuckle) for an incredible spring surprise.

Okay, how fun is it to have a perfume with the word "chickens" in it? I love it! Sadly, I don’t care for the fragrance. It's green, green, green. It's the green of freshly-trampled grass covered with morning dew. It's the green of newly-plucked she-loves-me-not daisy flowers. It's the green of the still-bleeding stalks of any number of just-clipped garden flowers and herbs. The scent is so pungent that it’s dizzying. It’s incredibly pungent, but yes, it smells like a garden that's growing with shameless abandon from the nourishment of the warm sun. As lovely as the images are that this scent evokes, it's altogether way too green for me, and the grass note is one that I'm allergic to and it's got to be washed off before I get so dizzy that I fall off my seat.

Now with all those flower notes listed, you might think this would be a cacophony of headache inducing florals.

On opening I get the grass/ivy thing happening.

The florals are there indeed, however. They are well blended and fairly well behaved. They come into the foreground later on along with a tinge of the herbal notes.

Overall, this blend would be nice for a casual date. The ivy, grass and herbs do temper the florals and that surprised me.

One of the herbal notes isn't working that well on me.

In the imp: Green.

Wet: Green. Sharp. Powdery.

Dry: Not as bad as the wet stage, but it's still too green for me. Florals are generally iffy for me, but herbs and grasses are reliably no-nos on me. When it's completely dry it's softer and in my opinion much more wearable, but I don't think I can get through that wet stage.

OK, this is where I come clean. I already decided I wasn't going to like this before I even smelled it or read the notes. I've hated chickens ever since I was a little girl on my grandparents' farm. (If you had been chased around the yard by a mean and nasty rooster when you were 6, you'd probably hate them too.)

As it turns out, this sort of scent doesn't suit me at all, so at least I don't have to live with the horror of falling in love with a scent that has the word Chickens in its name. :P

Edited by filigree_shadow

I have a thing for fresh, sunshiny, springy scents. Not the artifical dryer-sheet type of freshness, but the thing that Beth's mastered with Beltane (2005 & 2006), Flower Moon, Pontarlier - the perfumes that make me feel like I am surrounded with flowers, grass, and the kind of fresh air that doesn't have a smell of its own, but that somehow makes everything around you smell so incredible. Green florals, but with a little something more to make them special.

So, this is it. The Holy Grail. I'm outside in the late spring in the country (and I am far, far from the parts of the farm where smelly animals live - any chickens around me have been nesting in the herb garden, not a chicken coop!). I have to have a bottle of this when springtime comes!

FS, now you've issued a challenge to Beth... wait til we get the Enraged Chicken Musk. Or Buttercream Frosted Chicken Cake. :P You've thrown down the gauntlet and she will make you love teh chickens smellies!

On me: A green floral. Lots of grass and leaves here. The feel I get is "spring meadow early in the morning tromping through the flowers." Verbena is trying to be mean here, and I wish it would stop. The roses here are definitely more the Rose Red/Peacock Queen roses rather than the ones that are chemical death on me. I'm not sure on this one.

In the bottle, this is like smelling a grassy yard with tons of amped up, tart, sweet-ish florals. A swirl of sweet, clean floral notes, an herbal something that makes me think of dandelion, and a crisp and almost citrussy sort of grass note. This is a blend that I can sniff and actually pick out pretty much every note (except a couple of the specific flowers) from the medley.

A tiny dab on my skin (this has a lot of staying power and throw on me) and this blooms into a garden of sweet flowers, dandelions, and an herbal greenery. The grass and ivy are lightly in the background, lending just enough of an authentic ‘green’ smell to the fragrance. It’s a sweet floral that isn’t going at all sharp or generic on my skin. It smells much like what I would imagine the place in the painting smelling of. Not a haughty and overly tended flower garden, this one has herbs and a few weedy dandelions creeping in - but it’s a healthy and sunny sort of garden nonetheless. The perfect playground for a couple o’ chickens.

I normally hate floral blends, and I genuinely like this. The flowers are verrry sweet (almost sweet tart-esque after an hour) and the wee hint of herbs and greenery along the edges make this one unique. It's really strong though, so I'll have to be careful never to overapply or the florals would still give me a headache.

And I would love a bottle of Enraged Chicken Musk :P

Edited by Little Bird

This is frickin' gorgeous!! :P

Which is really fortunate actually - with such an overwhelmingly floral line-up of notes it could have been a disaster and I would have been crushed. I love Klimt dearly and Garden Path with Chickens has always been a favourite.

The moment this touches my skin I am transported to a garden. I'm not 32 with a mortgage, a fulltime job and a stress ulcer. I'm 6 with a rush of joy and keen sense of adventure. This is a garden the way only a child can experience a garden. Running. Squeezing through plants. Stomping on others. Picking a fistful of the most beautiful flowers you've ever seen and pretending you are a princess. Slashing your way through the shrubbery with a big stick looking for dragons. Lying on the ground with flowers tucked behind your ears and just soaking it all in, baby.

This fragrance is good for my heart.

When the new salon scents went live, part of me just wanted to buy a bottle of this unsniffed because of the nasturtium in it (and how often do you see that in perfume?? I usually eat it in salads in the summer...). To make a long story short, I should have just ordered a bottle unsniffed, cause it is THE perfect grassy spring scent!

I don't get any soapiness, any headachey floral, just the perfect scent of a garden in April or May. Slightly dewy, very green and calm. And sometimes, I can actually get a little whiff of nasturtium, and that makes me one happy girl. (it also makes me happy that rose isn't taking over and going out of control as well!) This is giving me strong memories of my aunt's garden in the country of New England, and those weekends where I would come up to visit from the icky suburbs to help her tend to it and go on walks. Yay for happy scent memories!! :P

So, if you have been looking for a great grassy, green BPAL, this is it! :D

I MUST order a bottle of this before spring and summer arrive.

reminds me of hot summer days where even the vegetation is sweating. I especially love the grassy/herbal/dry wet stage of this perfume, and when it mellows into something faintly sweet and tart it is still all good.

The initial weediness is what I wanted Roadhouse to smell like and a bottle would definitely get some rotation. Too bad these chickens aren't on the dollar menu!!

In the bottle, and wet: Grass! Grass grass grass grass grass with a side of grass! To me this is a good thing... I love Rosalind, but the berries get in the way of my grass-happiness. This is bright, fresh, and green... it gives the same feeling that Holiday Moon does (no notes in common though, just the bright happy greenness).

Drying: The grass mellows out, and various flowers play together nicely. Rose behaves herself instead of climbing all over everyone else, and there's no sign of the verbena going funky on me like it usually does. I don't wear many florals so I can't really pick out which are which.

2 hrs later: The scent lingers, but not for much longer. Unlike Beltane and Litha, it never went powdery on my skin. Yay!

I made a booboo and tried this on right as I was going to a movie... usually I wouldn't wear perfume in a movie theater, but I'd just gotten my order and I was excited to try something. It was a very crowded theater... a lunch matinee of The Princess Bride... and none of the people around me gave me dirty looks. So Chickens is very inoffensive to others, methinks.

I love grass! And while the florals aren't quite as wonderful as wet Beltane or Litha, they aren't powdery or overwhelming and that's quite good enough for me. Keeping my bottle.

Sweet green spring-summer florals. This is just a tad much for me, but it is a very bright pretty blend and very fitting to the tone of Klimt's piece.

This reminds me a great deal of Envy, but even more of a lawn or garden rich with the morning dew in June. This is a lovely scent, but not one I am likely to reach for again and again.

Okay, half of the fragrances here are totally unknown to me, so, I’m afraid, it won’t be much of a review, but I’ll still try.

In the bottle: it’s very, very green, quite sharp even… but there’s also a very floral smell… pink flower.

On my skin: flowers. Familiar flowers but I’m unable to put a name on the smell. Maybe gardenia. And the green factor is still there, very present. It actually smells like springtime, and so far, I quite like it.

After a couple of hours: light flowers. Most of the green factor is gone, unfortunately. It makes a pretty floral, but I’m not the floral girl…

Verdict: I’ll try it again, because I really like the first 45 minutes when it was all green and spring-like.

In the imp: smells like a dewy garden! Crisp wet greens and flowers.
Wet on skin: the ivy comes out most, and perhaps the nasturtium too. It’s all green and garden-y.
Dry: wow! This is a garden in liquid form! It’s very, very green, pure chlorophyll, crushed leaves, stems, grasses, everything good and green in here. The ivy, damp grass, nasturtium and some herbs are the foremost notes, with hints of soft dewy flowers here and there-but they don’t smell ‘floral’ as such, I don’t smell rose, gardenia or heliotrope just yet. Just an amazing GREEN scent of mushed up leaves and stems.
After a while: the flowers don’t show up much in this scent-occasionally I get a hint of something floral but really, they are very subtle and not heady. Indeed, the scent is still heavy on the ivy and nasturtium, and the grasses and herbs, maybe with hints of morning glory and other creeping vines. I now get a crisp, clean, springtime flower petal scent, almost like that of daffodils or camellias. The overall scent is a lot fainter now but hasn’t lost any of the fresh dampness that it had at the beginning.
After a few hours, the scent is much fainter and doesn’t have as much complexity as before, but it’s a very pleasant ivy scent, fresh and deep green, just like the ivy growing in my mum’s garden…with a layer of something fresher, wet and green, which reminds me of aloe. It’s also airy, like clean unpolluted air with the scents of mist and plants lingering in it. I want to take deep breaths of this.
Verdict: no chickens to be smelt here. At first this was an amazing explosion of GREEN! It smelt just like the garden in the picture-not so much the smell of flowers, but very much the smell of the leaves and stems of all the plants, covered in dewdrops. It’s a fresh, cool scent, like a garden in the early morning, just before it gets warm and there’s dew everywhere, and the scent of greenery is all around. I smell lots of ivy winding through this scent, and the nasturtium is very strong here, sometimes there are hints of petals and herbs, but the florals don’t show off, and the best thing about this scent is how natural it smells, how genuine it is, and the way that none of the notes go off on my skin-instead the scent fades off gently (I wish it didn’t fade so fast though) into a soft mix of deep green ivy and airy dampness, a peaceful and serene scent of soothing green. I’m not sure if I need a bottle but I’m very impressed at my little ‘garden in a vial’ so I’m keeping this. I think it’ll make a lovely room scent too. (and yay for another gardenia scent that works on me!)
Emoticon rating: :thumbsup: (though this one really needs a chicken emoticon...)
Is it a keeper? Definitely keeping the imp.
If you like this, try: Envy, Arachne, Orpheus, Aeval, Asphodel, The Ghost

In the bottle - Grass in the spring sunshine, with a touch of frost in the air.

Wet on me - Perhaps unsurprisingly this smells like Beltane 06. It has that same fresh, bright greenness, but this has a little peppery kick in the background.

Dry on me - Warm and dry, more spicy than floral, like sweetened incense.

Overall - This blend was a real morpher on me and I like the dry down a lot. I think an imp is probably enough for me though.

Wow, this is so fresh! In the imp I smell mostly grass and herbs, and a little verbena. Wet, it's mostly grass and verbena and is very spring-like and refreshing. On the drydown on me, the verbena predominates. This scent is less complex to me than some of the Salons, but I really enjoy it. I am going to have to have this for spring and summer.

In Bottle: Light florals

On Skin: This scent is so light and delicate. I see a dainty little chain of daisys on a little girls head, barely held together. Fresh and soft… The tone is white and light green. There is no doubt it’s spring, the sun is out, there are flowers all around in a huge green field. I can’t pick out any of the notes individually, it’s very well blended. I can say I don’t really smell the verbena or gardenis, those two notes usually amp on me and I don’t smell them strongly at all, they just melt into the other notes. It’s quite pretty, but again… I’m not a big floral fan so it’s not really me. I would use it as a room spray for a nice pick me up or to make me feel like I have fresh flowers. It’s very feminine… It’s a medium throw and short to average wearlength.

I was hoping for this to be more like Beltane 05 (a perfect scent, imo), but it's greener, more like Beltane 06. This is pretty, but too green for me...plus not nearly as long-lasting as I would like.

Edited by tarotgirl

at first: sweet, wet, fresh gras and flowers.

on: clean fresh gras. very nice.

2 hours later: pretty bright flowers. sunny and happy. nice.

4 hours later: happy flowers. a bit powdery. lovely.

5.5 hours later: sweet, fresh flowers.

overall: what a frickin' happy scent. seriously. this goes perfect with the painting. i think i'm going to keep this one for a pick-me-up sort of scent.

This is a gorgeous, grassy green floral. It makes me happy and is perfect for springtime. I'll keep my imp for sure, and a bottle may eventually be necessary. So beautiful! :P

Bottle: GRASS! sweet grass. I get a hint of floral but this is very juicy and green without being sneezy

Initial application: I'm getting mild Irish Spring from this but a little more fresh and natural. This scent is actually pretty strong, but it's extremely nice.

Dry: THere's something about this that I just pick up every now and again. I think it's nasturtium. It's like a quick bite followed by green and yellow and light pink scents. I like it, it's a bit of a surprise and I find it.....intriguing.

I was scared to order this bottle because I believe some people mentioned that it had an 'Envy' feel. I don't like envy, but this is different enough that I'm enjoying it.

Not to bring the thread down, but....I just read that the original painting was destroyed in a fire in 1945! : ( Okay, on to the review....

This is all about green. On first try, I really thought it was too sharp, and I almost sensed an ammonia aspect. I have tried it a couple more times and have grown to really like it. I don't smell any gardenia, rose, phlox or verbena. All I can smell is grass, leaves, and sharp herbs. I'm sure the other notes are supporting here.

I bought this for my mom for mother's day (of course I had to try it, to make sure she'll like it! :P ....), because she does a lot of gardening, and I thought this would appeal to her. I think she'll like it, and I may have to get some for myself one of these days, too. The other reviews here describe the scent really well.

Definitely ivy and grass and herbal, this one is very green. Gardenia usually amps badly on my skin, but this one is kept in line by everything else. It's pretty! I might wear it on a summer day when I would be outside all the time, but I think it might be a little heavy for close indoor quarters.

Rating (on skin): 2/5

Summarised in a few words/smilie: Roses.

In the imp: Verbena, grass, ivy, and roses.

On skin, wet: Freshly cut, green grasses, ivy, and lightly peppered roses.

On skin, dry: Young roses with bright green stems, and not much else besides. Roses tent to dominate blends once on my skin, so I'm not surprised, but it's a sad thing nonetheless. I just can't wear rose(s) well.

Conclusion: Another rose scent that just doesn't work for me. Pity. :P