Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
slave1

Cupid Complaining to Venus

Apple blossom, fig, white peach, honey absolute, red sandalwood, and wild thyme.

In the imp: Herby apple blossom. On the skin: Wow, this is very complex! At first sniff I got flowers, second, a honeyed fruit; third, spicy sandalwood. I don't wear honey scents well, but this one is promising right away. It changes every time I smell it, as if the notes were all swirling around each other. After about 10 minutes, it settles into a honey-fig-sandalwood, light but very lovely. This one, I need to get.

Rating (on skin): 2/5

Summarised in a few words/smilie: Chalky honey.

In the imp: A very thick, honeyed apple blossom. Fantastic!

On skin, wet: Fig! Slightly green, honeyed figs.

On skin, dry: Very chalky, dry, green figs and bitter honey, unfortunately. It seems that the sandalwood is lending the chalky, dry qualities to the scent. It reminds me of honey dust/powder.

Conclusion: Alas, not for me: too bitter, too chalky, and too dusty. Lovely in the vial, my skin isn't up to handling the sandalwood and honey.

I was worried about the thyme, but the only things I can smell are peach, apple and honey.

Very pretty, and I may need to get more of this.

Mmm, this is delicious! Peach and fig are two notes that just bloom on my skin, and these two work together to make this juicy ripe fruit scent, although it is tempered by the apple blossom and sandalwood. Later in the day the honey comes out, and it is just golden and fruity richness. This could turn out to be one of my favorites in the Salon. I love this, and will get a bottle after my imp is gone.

This was a surprise winner for me (in trying the pack of imp's ears). I tried this without reading the notes description and first found it fruity, then honey-y in the most delicious, amazing, perfumey way. One of the times I tried it, it smelled as though it had notes in common with Thierry Mugler's Angel, or that Prada fragrance, or Chanel's Mademoiselle (at least I think it's that one). But better, because it doesn't have anything synthetic-smelling about it. Absolute heaven. :P I totally have to buy a bottle before I finish my imp.

In the vial:

Juicy peach

On me:

The most delicious, juicy peach scent is what I get from this when it goes on my skin. Then the honey and fig kick in and make this somehow more grounded, and a little earthier while still retaining it's sweetness. It's fruity, but without being tart, or overwhelming. This is just amazing and gorgeous - I want to douse myself in this scent. It makes me think of Katharina, though it is pretty different - it just has that appeal to me.

Final note:

This is an absolute must buy!

In the imp: faint, crisply sweet green apples.

On me, wet: green apples, apple blossom, peach - lots of tart fruit, but slightly air-freshener-ish.

On me, dry: still crisply fruity (mostly apples rather than peach now), but it still reminds me of a room scent I've smelled.

Verdict: I think I can pass on this, but this is the nicest apple I've tried from BPAL. And the honey didn't kill the scent, either.

i got a sniffie of this from a swap with a bit to test. it smells like honey and sweet fruits, with a hint of something warming underneath-must be the sandalwood. this is a pretty scent, but fruity scents are really my thing.

This smells so much like Les Bijoux!! Now that I have both on I can tell they arent really alike, but they give out the same appl-y vibes. Could be a "sister" blend. I love that I can smell mostly red/golden apples here and not the typical tart, green apples(more with les bijoux, and funny before I got an imp of CCTV, i always though les bijoux's apples are the reddest apples i've ever smelled!!). Even better, I dont really pick up the peach, honey, or fig...Although i do love peaches, honey and figs. Give me honey-glazed red apples anytime and I am a happy camper. If you like les Bijoux, you would love Cupid Complaining to Venus..and vice versa.

In the imp: This is really faint, and hard to detect anything specific. Just something vaguely sweet and a little fruity. A bit of fig...

On the wrist: This is very faint on me, almost as faint as it was in the imp. Strange. I'm getting honeyed fig and not much else. Which is nice, I wish it was a bit stronger though.

Drydown: It went to figgy powder, bugger. *sigh* Swapped.

bottle: apple and peach. :P

wet: apples, figs and peaches. all fresh-cut fruits and sweet florals, this smells like springtime.

dry: rich, honeyed fruits. now the fruits smells sweeter, like they're heavy on a tree that's just sagging under their weight.

i'm getting the barest breath of sandalwood as well. i think i'll need another bottle soon.

This is a fresh, juicy peach when you first apply it. And it stays delightfully peachy for about two hours. After that, the sandalwood does make an appearance, and as a previous reviewer noted it was kinda chalky and dusty.

Ah, but the first two hours. Simply like licking peach juice off my skin. :P

ETA: I managed to swap for a bottle, and I have to say that aging makes a big difference on the sandalwood. It's still fresh and peachy (for about an hour), and then it dries to a soft apple blossom/peach with a very smooth sandalwood base. I like this one ALOT more than I thought I would. I'm glad I got the chance to swap for a bottle.

Edited by zankoku_zen

On me, Cupid Complaining To Venus is apples, a lot of honey, and maybe a little bit of peach. It's very sweet. I like it, but it's not something I'd wear every day.

I had very high hopes for this, maybe that's why I was slightly disappointed when I had just applied it.

I get the apple blossom first. It's very loud in a weird soapy, almost papery/dusty way. I also smell honey, a note that I don't usually wear well, but it's not heavily unpleasant as for example the honey in Queen or Skuld. It kinda reminds me of Bilquis, the way the apple and honey mix, but only slightly so. I can see how this peach is a white peach. It lacks juiciness somehow. The whole scent comes across very dusty/papery, and I had the same issue with Les Bijoux, so my guess is that this is a property of white peach on my skin.

I can't smell the fig in the beginning, and later I can only assume that it is adding to the scent this develops into.

As this dries, the single notes meld together and at one point remind of the scent of plastic toys in the 80es. I never had a My Little Pony myself, but is it possible that they smelled like this? I'm probably mixing things up, maybe it's a scented shoe lace or rubber that CCTV reminds me of.

It smells sweet in an artificial way, and a bit kitschy/tacky now, but it's not entirely unpleasant. I'm not sure, I'd like to wear it on my skin during daytime in public, but I might try to use it in my hair, or to scent things with it.

I somehow don't like it but I can't stop sniffing the spot where I put it on.

I might change my opinion about this one later on.

Edited by blu°

This is a quick morpher on me. It starts out as figs and honey and sweet syrupy peaches with a hint of floral innocence. Then it goes through a rather sharp herbal phase that is quickly over before mellowing out to a warm sandalwood with just the barest touch of sweetness

In the bottle, it smells metallic/aquatic, with a bit of stemmy greeness. On, it smells like honeyed florals, with a splash of fruit and gentle creaminess. Very pretty.

Sometimes honey is sexy (yay!) Sometimes honey is plastic (boo!) In this case, honey is...

plastic. And it's too bad, because in the imp, this is a lovely crisp floral with some herbal notes and a dash of sweetness giving it a real richness. In my skin, it's plastic honey with a slight hint of that lovely apple blossom in the background.

So sad.

sniffing from the imp, it is bright and fruity. out front is apple blossom and then fig. there are hints of peach in there too.

wet, cocoa! the mix of apple blossom (most prominent), thyme and sandalwood grounding the scent comes off as cocoa on me - and it is a light cococa, very similar to LUSH's cupcake out of the container (when i put cupcake on it smeels like mint to me). wow, funny what a mix!

dry, it is still cocoa. the honey comes out a little more to give this fullness and sweetness. i like this, but i wont be ordering more cos i dont really love foody smells.

In the bottle: Sweet, delicately fruity.

Wet: Still fruity, but less sweet. Sandalwood coming out strongly, and that fruit is definitely apple and peach. The thyme is there but faint. Fruit overwhelms, with sandalwood underlying.

Dry: The honey has really emerged, the sandalwood has faded, and the thyme has disappeared. The fruit is still majorly strong, and the peach and fig have amped especially; the apple blossom barely remains.

Summary: Sweet, cloying fruit. Yech.

In the imp: Delicious and sweet, I can't place all of the scents but I can definitely smell the honey. I might be getting a faint undertone of either the apple blossom or the fig, but I can't tell for sure.

Wet: Most everything fades out right away and then it's just pure honeycomb. I'm a little worried on that count since it's a bit too cloying for my liking....

Drying: Oh! The honeycomb's gone, replaced with a sweet fig scent and it's kind of cloying, but might just be perfect for the upcoming hot summer weather! There's a bit of floral behind it that's very hard to detect, I can't really smell the peach, but the incense-y undertone that comes right at the end before the honeycomb hits again is my skin's reaction to sandalwood but it's almost hidden so I'm not minding it.

Dry-fade: For the first time I've found a really complex bpal that hasn't morphed a ton on my skin during the dry-fade period! It's a bit more strong on the figs, but for the rest of it it's the same delicious overly-sweet summer scent. I'll give the imp a test run during this summer and if I like it....I'd seriously consider it for a bottle candidate.

Later: After several hours (and a night's sleep) the scent's morphed and turned a little too sickly, but by then it's also very faint and you can only smell it by shoving your nose against it, so if it's washed off before then this scent should be no trouble whatsoever. The rest of the time I wouldn't advise putting the nose too close to the application point because it's got a decent throw and too close makes the scent too strong and sharp in the nose.

On me this one is sweet, fruity and lovely. I prefer heavier less-ladylike scents, but if this one sounds good to you, you'll probably like it!

Sadly, I do not smell the crisp fruit notes so many others love in this blend. To me, this is a floral that starts out overly sweet and sours terribly on my skin. And it gave me a headache. :P

In bottle/imp: Honeyed figs and peaches.

Immediately on skin: This is mostly a peach scent, but there’s a bit of honey drizzled over it and a light amount of fig as the base of the blend. The apple blossom hovers around wafting with the sweet peach and there’s just a little hint of herbs.

After a little while: The honey in this has gotten a little powdery, but the whole blend has gotten rather sweet as I’ve worn this. The fig note has come out a bit more and blends well with the peach, and something is adding a very earthy scent to the base of the scent. It’s like light wood or dirt (maybe that’s the thyme and sandalwood together) with figs and peaches drizzled with powdery honey.

Overall Impressions: This scent is a nice bright peach scent at first but after it dries down it turns into something… not so pretty on me. This is quite a complex scent, so it would probably react completely differently on someone else’s skin. The honeyed fig and peach is lovely though, and worth a try if you like peach scents.

On wet, honey and fruit.

Drying, it's sweet, but, there's an earthy spicy undertone...that is just barely detectable. It seems to be mostly there to keep the sweet honeyed fruit and apple blossoms from being too cloyingly sweet.

I like it, but, I'll have to see how long it lasts.

This was my first Salon purchase, and one of the first BPAL purchases I made. I can't believe it's taken me this long to review it! It starts out as apple for me, with some fruity undertones like a fruit stand in the sun, all the fruits mixing together. There are also some background florals, but very light. This one stays true, from bottle to drydown, at least on me. It is very unusual, and I don't wear it often, but I definetly like it.