Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
portalkat

Purple Phoenix

Porphyrogenitus, indeed; we worked for it! Not simply the color of royalty, purple is also the color of sorrow and mourning, reconciliation and forgiveness. A regal, majestic, and somber blend of myrrh, plum blossom, African violet, cognac, fig, orris, lilac, wisteria, black plum, and Burgundy wine grapes.

I absolutely LOVE this one! It comes out of the bottle Screaming Purple. I smell like Grape Pop, strong on the wine grapes and plum. It faded after a little bit to the more floral dominated by the violet, lilac and wisteria. It is a very perky scent and great as a pick me upper. Whenever I need something to boost my mood this is what I grab, and the people arround me pick up too. :joy:

I got this bottle aged, but never opened, I wonder if that might be part of why it is so strongly on the wine graped when it is fresh and wet....
Whatever the reason, it smells Grape..errr i mean Great!

Fruity floral with predominant wine and booze notes. This was a little too fruity for me, and a little too floral for me as well. Wine tends to go "juicy" on my skin and that's pretty much what happened here. Much later in the drydown, I got myrrh, but it couldn't save this blend for me.

This smells like alot of dark, tart, purple fruits. Grapes being the strongest. The wet stage is completley taken over by the grape vibe. This is the first time I've like the grapey note from the lab in a perfume though so I'm pleased.

It changes quite quickly though and becomes...deeper I would say. I think this is probably where the plum is becoming more noticable. It's very very "Purple" as alot of people have said. The grape note reminds me of...grape soda or...grape sweets. It's very noticable. But the plum is here too and it's darrrrrk!

The other notes come forward a bit further on in the drydown but not so much that they overtake. That grape note is holding on with it's teeth. It's now a purple floral wit a bit of Myrrh. It's much nicer in this stage than the screeching strong grape note of the wet stage.

Dry stage - Hmmm finally the grape is fading, to let the others have a turn. I can't tell the difference between the floral elements of this blend but, the Myrrh is here a tiny bit and it's now become more "Grown Up". Where the wet stage was a whoosh of fun bouncy fruit grapes, this is like a Boquet of purple flowers with purple fruits intertwined. :)

Like the wet dry stage much more, and I'm glad I didn't fall in love with this very rare oil. Phew!

Wet, this very purple, grapey and musky. Very much like Makhanaitis to me, which I love. Dry, much the same, only the violet is poking out, and the grape fades somewhat. It is still quite musky and a touch powdery, which I really don't mind. I really like this, and glad to have another berry, purpley, blend to my collection. The only drawback is the staying power. It seems like it is becoming faint even after only an hour.

This is one of my favorite Phoenixs. I can't believe my bottle is still really full...I slathered this stuff for months before putting it away!

Purple Phoenix smells PURPLE right out of the bottle. This is a deep, rich, wonderfuly yummy purple.

On my skin this is very floral initally (but not cloying or sneeze-inducing at all. These are some florals I can tolerate). The violet stands out as the brightest note in the bunch when it's wet on my skin.

As this dries, the floral notes fade a bit and allow the grape notes to ripen on my skin.

The final drydown is a rich, pretty fruity floral with violet and grape being the two dominating notes. There's also a mildy powdery feel to the background of this...possibly the lilac?

A gorgeous (and really unique) perfume! :wub2:

Purple Phoenix is one of my all-time favourites!

In the bottle: Violets and wisteria!

Wet: Turns to grapes and violets. Smells very candy-like, a bit like those Parma-Violet sweets.

Dry: Floraly and lovely... that's all I can say. I adore this.

In bottle: Very juicy and sweet. Kind of candy-like. If purple had a scent, this would be it!

Wet: Same as in the bottle. A faint floral note can be smelled, but I'm not good at detecting the actual flower.

Dry down: Gets richer and smells less like candy. Amber almost. I Like it a lot.

I bought the 5ml. Because I enjoy the scent, but unfortunately it doesn't last on me. 5 hours later from application it's barely there on my wrist. Very sad. I'll just use more!!!

This scent is AMAZING. Usually when someone says that a scent smells like a color, I'm all "Wha?!" but I totally get it now b/c this totally smells purple to me! The violet is the most predominate note on my skin, but as it dries down a background of fruit emerges. I'm so glad that I found a bottle!

Purple Phoenix

In the Vial: Sharply green somehow, and perfumey.

Wet: Morphing from green to purple. Here's the "grapey" element other folks mentioned.

Drydown: Slightly dusty and grapey still.

Verdict: It's pleasant enough, but I think I have other blends that will suffice for my slightly green and really grapey wants (Sugar Moon sort of, etc.).

In the bottle, this is a deliciously sweet and floral scent, with a deep complexity to it - maybe it's the name, but it is how the royal purple would smell if it were a scent rather than a colour. On my skin, a bright and piercing note comes through and lightens the scent, becoming more of a fuity floral, the scent becoming more like mauve than royal purple (if that makes any sense). After a few hours it fades to a soft scent, much closer to the original scent in the bottle, though obviously much softer, more subtle and slightly powdery. Yes, it is a very purple scent! Lovely!

Got this in a trade and wasn’t quite sure what to expect. I do tend to like “purple” scents, so I was hoping this would be a win for me. It starts off with an almost strong floral (on me, it was lilac and wisteria) and then the boozy elements started peeking through. And myrrh, the myrrh is strong here. It’s a nighttime scent—too strong and too sexy for daytime wear.

Wet: Fruity, but not in a fresh fruit sort of way. More in a scratch and sniff way.

Dry: The sweetness dies down a bit. It ends up as a nice fruity incense. It's pretty, but not something I expect I'll ever wear.

In the Imp: Wisteria and a hint of wine. Yum!

Wet On Skin: I'm getting the cognac, which is a note I ADORE, plus wisteria and maybe the tiniest hint of lilac.

Dry Down: A grape-y wine, cognac and wisteria making a rich heady incense-y mix. Just lovely!

In All: I get why so many folks say this smells "purple". It really does somehow :eek: Low to medium throw, a darker floral that would work all year round, depending on occasion.

I hope I can find a bottle! ;)

I'm such a sucker for any BPAL that lists plum in the notes. Sadly, Purple Phoenix gives me just about everything but plum. Violets and myrrh and wine and orris and wine are usually not great (to sometimes downright awful) on me, and so I think you can guess how well PP worked for me. :(

Mmmm, plums~ I'm so glad this note decided to come out for me. It's the main reason I got a decant of this. And it is, indeed, a beautiful floral plum scent. Sometimes, depending on the weather and my chemistry, the florals come out a little too much and I don't get much plum until very late in the dry down, but usually, it's a very balanced scent. I mostly just like it for how sugary the plum turns in the dry down, while still retaining its distinct fruitiness.

Whereas Goblin Market was strangely herbal, and Perversion was very musky, this was just a very nice, somewhat dark floral that dries to a sugary sweetness that I just can't get over. God, my nose has a sugar addiction.

SCORE: 10/10

I have not had a chance to test this in sooooo many years, and finally scored a decant of it in a recent swap. Going on, it is oddly harsh, and not like I remember (I wonder if aging has done that?). However, it quickly dries down to the sweet fizzy purple scent I remember. This is almost like purple smarties dissolved in grape koolaid with a dash of plum wine, sitting on a table in front of a massive blooming lilac bush. It is such a seductive, fun (yet regal!), PURPLE scent. Oh yes, I will be seeking out a bottle of this beauty.

It's amazing, how long it took for me to try this! Purple is my favorite color, plum is my favorite note, and all-around Purple Phoenix seems like a slam dunk. I am so ready to get purplefied.

In spite of the double plum in the notes, that isn't the dominating presence in this Phoenix. Rather, it's a sweet, bawdy grape, rendered into a musky perfume by the presence of powdery myrrh and creamy florals. I have a pure fragrance oil of violets, and that is indeed the standout floral among the others, with perhaps a brush of lilac and the wistful nostalgia of wisteria. They keep the grape and plum from becoming too juicy, an almost darkening and certainly tempering presence. This is a true royal purple, unlike the reddish-plum of Madame Moriarty. 

I would in fact like more plum in Purple Phoenix, and a touch less powder. I could have done without the orris, and swapped out myrrh for another resin, to make this a more well-rounded and toothy blend. Those are personal preferences, of course! I think this is a three-and-a-half to four-star purple blend for me, better than Bordello, just below Moriarty. I will hang onto it for a while and see how we get along.