Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Femke

Desdemona

Innocent, soft and pure: sweet pea, carnation and water lily.

Desdemona is my first BPAL imp. My first impression upon opening up the bubble-wrapped package was "This reminds me of something...maybe it'll come to me." So I open it and sniff it, and test it. At first, it smells just like it does in the bottle. After about 30 minutes, all you can smell is a spicy, sugary smell (from what I've read, I'd guess the spicy is the carnation). After an hour, this scent is completely gone. During the spicy/sugary phase on me, I realised what this reminds me of. I had an airbrushed t-shirt made when I was in Panama City, Florida last year, and the airbrush ink smells JUST like Desdemona did on me. Weird.

In the bottle: A lovely, refreshing floral. I have no idea what sweet pea smells like, and this doesn't seem to have the spiciness of carnation, nor the heaviness of lily. Hmm. It is aquatic. Sort of reminds me of Lightning, somehow. This is more what I picture for Ophelia than Desdemona. A very "young" scent.

First on: I can get a bit of the spiciness now... my skin certainly seems to bring carnation forward. Still very nummy.

Dry: Weird thing, when I bring my nose up to my wrists I can't smell this at all, but yet the fragrance still surrounds me in a miasma. This one might be for the big-bottle pile. I'll have to compare it with Lightning to be sure

In Bottle: Light floral.

On Skin: This scent is very soft and feminine. Innocent is a perfect description. I see this as kind of fairy and child like. The Sweet Pea seems strongest to me followed by the Water Lily. The florals have a very white tone, beautfiul. I think this would be a lovely wedding scent. The carnation is light in the background which works for me since I’m not much of a fan of carnation. It isn't overwhelmingly spicy either like carnation can be on my skin. Fairly light throw and it soaks into my skin right away so also a short wearlength.

Edited by slave1

Thought this smelled beautiful in the imp, a lovely wet and sweet floral. Very feminine.

On, wet: the glorious sweet wetness stayed for a brief time, like aricher lily-of-the-valley scent.

And then it dries: I thought maybe carnation would come on the dry down, and I really like carnation. However, on me it never really manifests itself. Instead the scent morphs from deliciously sweet floral to nose-itchy astringent scent. :P

So I'm swapping this away. The first stage is lovely though, and I wish it had lasted on me.

Desdemona is so lovely and pure, somehow. It is airy and seductive but not overly so. It has an innocence about it. The sweet pea is predominant on me and it dried down to a powdery floral whisper. I didn't think I'd like it at first (too girly, maybe?), but I have become a fan of this subtle scent, especially when I want to wear something that is less potent.

In the imp-a soft and sweet floral.

On, wet: The lily-of-the-valley scent really comes out, with no sign of the carnation. The sweet pea is there, but in the background

After wearing a while: Still lily-of-the-valley and sweet pea. *happy sigh* This is a beautifully light and sweet scent. I'll definitely be getting a 5ml of this!

In the bottle: Also sweet, also very light and floral. In the bottle, I like this one better than Ophelia; the sweet pea is lovely. It's mostly lilies and sweet-pea to me, though... I can't find any carnation in it, but then, carnations don't smell like a whole lot to me in the first place.

Wet: ....Okay, there goes my biochemistry again. It's not bad, and I can still pick up the sweet pea, but it's gone a little...I dunno. Soapy. (And no, it's not where I just got done soaping my arm...) It's not bad, but it's got a 'perfumey' edge that's less like flowers and more like something fake and chintzy. (on skimming the forum, I don't feel bad; a lot of people seem to have gotten the 'soap' reaction)

Dry: Still perfumey. The only real saving grace is the sweet pea, and I can't help being reminded of baby powder. Way too /much/ baby powder. Urfl. Will probably trade. (Which is too bad, 'cause it's pretty in the bottle.)

Rats. This starts off as very pretty sweet pea and then morphs into sweet pea and plastic. I wonder if that is the water lily.

In the bottle: a wet floral, a bit overstrong, reminds me of Fae.

Dry: Almost gone... little smell. What I do smell is almost the same as wet, a light aquatic floral with little throw, very subtle. It isn't as strong or clashing as when wet.

Desdemona was a blah floral blend on me. It smells very plain. Light, soft, pristine florals with a slightly aquatic edge. It smells boring to me. Then the drydown is aquatic and soapy lilies.

Definitely not a fragrance for me. I prefer darker scents with a spicier edge.

Desdemona is a very simple green aquatic on me. I've tried it a couple of times and it never changes on my skin from the way it is in the imp. It's very clean and yet there is something tragic about it that suits the name well. Something this pure can't last long in the world.

It's mostly sweet pea and water lily, although on the drydown I get the slight spiciness of the carnation. It's very faint, though.

I think I'll keep the imp for springtime, when I think this would absolutely set the mood for regeneration and freshness.

tried with Cielamara on a lovely early-autumn day in the mountains

This was pure sweet pea on me, and a perfect choice on Beth's part for the scent of innocence. However, although I admire her interpretation as always, I don't like the scent on me--so sweet as to be cloying. But then I never liked Desdemona anyway, precisely because she IS so damn pure and innocent. No spunk, that girl. If you're going to be strangled, at least have a wild, crazy young life while you can. Nope, sweet pea is the scent of that horribly perky cheerleader who blushes at dirty jokes and has big, blonde hair. The scent of Sandy from Grease, only there's no hope of her finding her bad-girl side. Definitely not for me! :P

I tried the sweet pea note in the Single Note Circular Swap, and it was lovely!

So I did a search to try scents with sweet pea and I found this one: each and every note sounded perfect, and I wasn't disapointed. :P

I love florals and this one is beautiful and pretty intense on my skin.

Up to the Big Bottles list! :D

Mmmmm! :P I love this one. It's hard for me to describe, as I'm having trouble picking out the individual notes. It reminds me of visiting the St. Louis botanical gardens in springtime, with the sun shining, and butterflies flitting here and there.

Wet, drying down, and completely dry, the scent stayed the same on me. I loved it from the first sniff. I can't really pick out the carnation, which is a bit unusual as my skin REALLY amplified it in Maiden and Alice. The notes blend perfectly.

This would be a great daytime perfume for a picnic, or just out running around. It's another BPAL floral that would be appropriate to wear just about anywhere and be unlikely to offend anyone (like Ophelia). I don't think I would choose Desdemona to go clubbing or turn up the sexy, though; it's just too fresh and innocent.

It is a bit powerful wet, but I'm a shameless slatherer. :D

Sniffing the imp: Mmmm...beautiful, delicate sweet pea! I love that smell. My Mom always had sweet peas in her garden. :-)

Wet on wrist: Oh, the water lily just took over! It is a nice scent, but I am not as fond of "watery" fragrances, so I hope it changes. (It does always amaze me though, how a scent can smell one way in the imp and instantly transform into something completely different as soon as it goes on my skin!)

Drier: Ok, the sweet pea is merging nicely, with the aquatic lily, creating a nice balance, of sweet and cool. As a few more minutes go by now, and the carnation starts acting up with it spiciness, and this is turning into something soft and sweet yet with a bit of kick!

Dry: This is a beautifully merged scent of all 3 florals. Since finding BPAL, I have found myself turning away from the florals that I always only wore for fragrance, and enjoying the foody and smoky scents, but I do still love florals, and this is a nice one.

I will keep the imp. Not sure yet if I would want more. I will have to see, after a few more wears.

this was a much-appreciated freebie imp. i just got around to seriously testing it and it's becoming one of those "addicting" scents. odd too, 'cause it's not the kind i usually gravitate towards. very sweet, crisp floral, yet thick and intoxicating. i've been wearing it to bed a lot, and in the morning it is still very strong. it is clear white flowers drenched in golden light. it is like a very clean white nightgown. it is youthful, but i am not sure it is innocent, in fact i think it is a very willful and treacherous-smelling scent. i'm not sure why...like the flowers are very luring...they put you in a stupor with their sweetness! then who knows what!?

I can smell the sweet pea... very light and wonderful.

I think innocence describes the scent, very well... too bad I am not the innocent type. :P

Fragrances that I find are my favourites tend to be those that drip with something dark and evocative...

This is an innocent and breezy fragrance and would be perfect for those who love bright, floral blends.

This one is off for trade or sale for me, however.

It is a very lovely scent, though.

:D

Origin:

Lagniappe from the Lab. :P

Preconceived notions:

I don’t see Desdemona working for me. Pure floral blends are generally bad on me because I just don’t do florals. They seem to clash with my personality, plus I just don’t like them. The carnation’s especially worrying since it has a tendency to make me a bit nauseous.

First sniff:

Hmm, interesting. Floral, a little spicy (the carnation, no doubt) and vaguely headshoppy for some inexplicable reason. This makes my nose itch smelling it, so chances are it’s going to make me sneeze once I put it on.

Wet on skin:

I’m smelling what I’m guessing is sweet pea and I don’t really care for it, even as far as florals go (I don’t like very many florals to begin with, but this is one I like less than most). As predicted, this is making me sneeze like crazy. I’m not sure what I’m allergic to in here. Carnation often makes me nauseous, but it doesn’t make me sneeze, so it’s either the sweet pea or the water lily.

Dry down:

Powdery, matronly florals. I don’t know why this suddenly went from young to mature smell-wise, but I like it even less now. This is a pretty intense failure for me, even as far as floral blends go. It’s just not for me. Period.

The bottom line:

Desdemona just plain doesn’t work for me. I’m not sure what it is in here that’s clashing so badly with me, but whatever it is, I’d rather avoid it in the future.

Hmm...honeysuckle, with a hint of citrus? Goes on the hand very cool...or is it linden?! soft throw at first, but then it does increase...

THere's a powdery sweet finish to this, but overall it doesn't last long, a couple of hours by my nose.

Oro

In the bottle: Flowers, with a hint of something, an almost tart sort of scent, that reminds me a tiny bit of Nosferatu. There does seem to be a sort of softness over this one.

On me: Morphs into what I consider the "typical" sort of perfume, the kind you find yourself spritzed with as you walk through department stores. It's definitely floral, and very refined. It's a very pretty, feminine sort of scent.

Later: It's settled down. Rather flowery, and flowy, and it does indeed fit the innocent and pure description.

I'll probably swap this one, as I'm not big into florals, but it is quite pretty.

Wet this is mossy, green and aquatic, almost like a swamp in the springtime. When first on it smells like spring flowers and sunshine. Maybe freesia or sweet pea? This is a youthful, girly and innocent scent. Nice.

Wet: Sweet floral scent -- reminds we of the smell of sweet-tarts candies.

Dry: No longer so candy-sweet. Still pretty and floral. Very girly, innocent is right.

A keeper for now!

I recieved this as a frimp and it was one of the scents on my wishlist.

In the imp, I smelled a fresh, dewy floral. So far so good.

Wet, a strong burst of florals came out. Carnations and sweet pea....and a bit of lilies? All the florals I've tried love my skin and this blend was no different.

Drying down, the initial burst of scent had mellowed out and dries into a cool, soft scent. It reminds me of those early morning walks that I used to do in the springtime, when the sun began to rise and everything was wet with fresh dew. A beautiful, innocent, scent that lingers. Definately a scent that I'll be wearing when spring comes again or when I'm off to tea parties with my young nieces.

Not a bottle for me but I'll enjoy the imp.

:P

waaaaaaaaaay too florally and sweet for my liking....

too much in the way of sweet pea and carnation which are normally lovely

for me........

this little imp is off to a more loving home...