Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Capricorn

From the Astrological celestials

I'll tell you EXACTLY what this smells like!! It smells like a catholic church in Europe. Resins I love this scent!

~Nad

This one is heavy on the cedar, with vetiver and resins coming out, those 2 smells I can really pull out, with a touch of patchouli. This is good, lasts long feels completely unisex it is one of my favorites. I was so happy to smell a capricorn fragrance that I love this much. Its earthy and warm, I've gotten *you smell like incense* from a few people since I've been wearing this.

Since Capricorn is my sign, I just had to try it, and I was pleased to find it rich with earthy notes, hints of patchouli, and resins. It is an ambitious and serious scent, not for the faint of heart. Probably ideal to wear during the colder parts of the year. Really captured the idea of a capricorn.

**update - Finally can pinpoint a description for the dry down. Fresh cedar...I keep sniffing my wrist like a wierdo, but the soft notes of cedar remind me of "helping" my grandpa make little cedar jewelry boxes and trunks. Flashback to childhood. Yep, this fragrance is a keeper!! :P

Edited by woodlandnymph

I'm not good with the notes, but luckily, the above posters already have them figured out. I first put this on and was hit with a medicinal smell (this is what I've been getting with the other celestials I've tried, such as Sagittarius, Aries, Aquarius). After I put it on, I forgot about it and went to the kitchen and tried to locate the Chinese medicine my grandmother was cooking. I realized there wasn't any, it was just Capricorn. After a few hours, the sharp, medicinal smell calms down, and I get the earthy aspect of this scent. It smells like bark or mulch, with a little something sharp. Maybe mulch drenched in lighter fluid. Even though I'm a Cappie, I didn't like this. :P

I've gotta try my Capricorn scent! So far I am all cedar with this one. I can't even try to sniff anything else out. It is rather warm and I think I'd like it during the rainy winters here. It's warm, earthy, but not sure if I really like this on me so much. I'll update later after a few hours of it.

Update: the cedar finely calmed down after a few hours and turned into a gentle, warm, woody, earthy scent. I do love the scent and kept sniffing my wrist, but it's not something I necessarily want to wear. I passed it on to a co-worker who liked it along with a couple other imps. Trying to make a new recruit. :P

Edited by silverangel

I do really like this scent, but I'm not sure that I want to smell like this - it's a bit strong for me.

I'm going to try it as a room scent though - I think it would be good for this.

for anyone that likes lush - I think it smells JUST like their cosmic dreamcatcher massage bar.

My original comments didn't make a bit of sense to me, so I erased them. Was I reviewing something: Capricorn or Mars?

Let me try again. At first I am whacked over the head with cedar.

Cedar reminds me of Pipe Ceremony: very serious, deeply healing but not without emotional pain. Lots & lots of scent induced memories evoked by Capricorn. I'm reminded of quite a few people who have crossed over; JoAnne, Joansy, Grandfather first & formeost.

I know that Capricorn will take time to reveal itself. This will definitely be a ceremonial oil for me.

Astrologically speaking, my Mars is in Capricorn in the 5th house ( The House of Pleasure). My husband is a Capricorn Sun...makes sense to me.

Tweak: 10-23-04

An Imp of this is all I need. I decided to sell the Capricorn. Painful memories can have healing qualities but once the healing is complete, it's time to move on.

RHM

Edited by Red_Hot_Mama

Got a bottle of this from Red_Hot_Mama and I'm in love! :P

I'm not a Capricorn, but I prefer earthy/woodsy scents to florals, so I skipped my own sign (Libra) and went straight for the one that was calling my name: Capricorn. :D

First sniff:

Oh God, cedar...I'm in love! Beth had to have been reading my mind when she came up with this. It's gorgeous, it's woodsy, it's earthy, it's perfection! Must get more of this before I lose the chance forever.

Wet on skin:

Mmm, cedar...I'm one of those rare people who adores the smell of cedar to the point of obsession and this is perfection. I can smell something underneath the cedar just barely peeking out, but I'm not sure what it is. It's earthy smelling, but I can't put my finger on it. Everytime I think I have it down, the cedar blocks my view and I lose track of it.

Dry down:

This is the forest in a bottle! The cedar is still going strong, but the earthy scent has picked up, too, balancing it out. I'm thinking it's patchouli I'm smelling, which is also wonderful because I adore patchouli as much as I do cedar. This is absolutely gorgeous, it's the exact scent I've always been looking for when I've sniffed bottle after bottle of men's cologne. This is absolute heaven for me!

The bottom line:

Woodsy and earthy and perfectly gorgeous. I can see this working equally well on a man or a woman, but I have no plans to share mine with my man. I can see I'm going to be hoarding this one like the miser I am...going to have to order some more while I still have the chance! :D

Capricorn

It was inevitable. I had to order my sign, and after reading the reviews was even more interested to try it out. I ordered right before the discontinuation, so I'm glad I got the chance to try this!

In the bottle:

Sharp, strong, medicinal. This is coming across as a very assertive blend.

Wet:

Knowing how strong it has been on others, I just did one swipe between my wrists. My first impression is of Chinese medicinal herbs. Sometimes blends that evoke Chinese medicine are comforting to me, but this one is very bright, high, and sharp. More like the actuality of the tart, pungent little black beads I used to have to swallow rather than the memory of curling up on the couch on a sick day drinking my mother's hot and sour soup.

Drydown:

The medicinal edge subsides somewhat and cedar takes over. This isn't the mellow cedar of Tombstone but rather a pugnacious, in-your-face cedar. Though the Mr. has a cold even he can smell it on me halfway across the room. He reports "Pinesol" however, so I think his sense of smell is still a bit compromised.

Later:

It's been about four hours and this sucker doesn't show any signs of fading away. I could even smell it through my gloves while we were driving around. The cedar is still dominant, though I went through a very unpleasant mothball stage as well. Now the blend has settled into a fresh clear incense that is oddly as bright green as it is dark, dry and woody. Also for some reason I'm getting some sort of dark, ripe fruit... but it's not juicy. It's like a smoked plum or something.

Conclusion:

I'm putting this up for swaps. I like parts of the blend (some of the incense, some of the cedar, that weird smoked fruit smell) but taken as a whole this is just too overpowering for me.

Edited by darkitysnark

Heh, as darkitysnark above, I had to get this because of my sign. Right when they were announced to be discontinued, I was >< this close to ordering a 5ml unsniffed, but ultimately I passed.

I got this imp from darkitysnark in a swap...and now I'm sort of glad I passed on the 5ml.

In the vial, wet on my skin, dry on my skin, it doesn't matter. It's all pure, fresh cedar. Like cedar shavings or a cedar chest or something.

I was really hoping for the resins or patchouli...but all I got was cedar. While it's a very fresh, clean scent, it's not really for me, especially as a perfume.

Back into swap rotation she goes...

In bottle: Almost pure cedar. Hints of patchouli and vetiver are in the background, but by and large it's wooden. It's very strong; a tiny drop is more than enough for me.

On me: Cedar cedar cedar.

Ick.

I don't care for this note, and it's all I can smell, so off to swap this goes.

at first: very, very earthy. i think i can smell patchouli, but i'm not sure.

on: earthy! very heavy, dark, and damp.

1 hour later: still heavy.

2.5 hours later: this is still overwhelmingly earthy.

overall: i can't really picture myself wearing this, but i'm glad i have an imp of it.

Capricorn:

Originated from: Celestials Circular swap

Wet: Heavy like -whoa-. Heavy resin. I also smelled something that I suspected was vetiver.

Drydown: Whatever smelled like vetiver has toned down into incens-y cedar. It's still a very strong scent. Very earthy, and IMO very masculine.

Longterm wear: I can't say that Capricorn is a scent I'd wear often. I'd have to pass.

Courtesy of the Celestials circular swap!

In the imp: Woo! Sharp wood.

Wet: Cedar, cedar, cedar. Wow, this is very potent and strong.

Drydown: Still cedar. There's a hint of vetiver and patchouli, but this is overwhelmingly cedar.

Final thoughts: This is a very masculine blend. I don't think I would have ever worn it.

in the vial i got vetiver

it reminds me of brim stone whne i apply it, but then it goes wonky and smells liek burnt hair...not my fav scent for sure

Oh Capricorn, one of my first true loves! :P I happened upon it almost by accident and it remains one of my all-time favorites.

Capricorn is the epitome of the soft, sweet earthen scents -- vetiver, sandalwood, cedar -- I'm sure they're all present...maybe some patchouli, I'm not sure.

But mostly it's velvety smooth, soft vetiver softened by sandal or cedarwood, almost chocolatey. It's strong, it lasts, it blossoms on my skin and hair into the most vibrant, sun-through-the-branches bright forest floor and wooden scent. This is in my all-time top five and the scent I have always sought. I have hoarded 15 ml worth and hope that something like it comes back again some day when I need more. Malediction, Umbra, and several others come close but none match this velvety smooth polished wood. Maybe Sri Lanka will come close, we'll see.

If you love wood, resin and vetiver scents, this is the one that got away.

Wet: mild cedar.

10 minutes later: still cedar, some vertiver. Where are the incense resins?? :P

Later: Cedar/vertiver mix. Nothing else. Phooey on my skin chemistry. This sounded so good in the other reviews.

At first, Capricorn was really, REALLY dark. It was as if I had stuck my nose in potting soil.

A short time passed until it turned into the deep, dark cedar others have talked about. To me, it smells heavily masculine, and would probably work well on a man, or anyone after masculine scents. I normally would fall into that category, but this is very heavy, extremely woodsy.

I think I smell vetiver, so now it seems as if the dark Capricorn cedar forest has gotten a bit of rain. There's also an underlying touch of mint or pennyroyal or something with a little bite to it. Something a little metallic. I'm not really sure what it is.

Although this is an interesting scent experience, I wouldn't wear it often enough for me to justify hoarding this bottle for much longer.

-doreen

Forgive my short-ish review, I had to write up a bunch of reviews quickly as part of the Celestial swap circle...

Woody, sharp, dry - very similar to Queen though not quite as sweet.

Capricorn: December 22 - January 19

From the Celestial Swap.

Total failure on this one. It smells like I took one of those cedar blocks meant to freshen closets and strapped it to my wrist. That's all I get, nothing else. When it was wet I wasn't sure what it would be, it had a little more of an incense smell, but when it dried, instant cedar overload. Considering cedar is one of my LEAST favorite scents, this one is a no go for me.

Courtesy of the Celestials circular swap!

A lovely earth scent (I won't go so far as to say THE Quintessential Eart Scent... but it's close!), the oil of my Sun sign is warm, glowing resins, bright cedar, and a little crunchy patchouli to round it out.

I'm very sorry to have missed the chance to buy a bottle of this scent, but grateful that I had a chance to try it.

I get a lot of sandalwood from this one, and myrrh. It has an earthy touch too with a bit of resins. And maybe some patchouli too.

Unisex and strong. Very nice.

First sniff: Loudly resinous. This isn’t going to work on me… but I have a policy of trying everything on, so here goes.

Wearing: Ladies and gentlemen… we have frankincense, or at least something that reminds me very strongly of it. And frankincense bears a deep and enduring grudge against me. Off to the swaps.

Got a half imp of this by begging on the swap forums as it's my sign scent and i really wanted to try it. Sadly, i think i am disappointed. it smells so strongly of resin and cedar that i smell like forest exploded in a hampster cage. i might try again, with less inthe application, but i think my allergies just make me too allergic to it. :P so much for that. i guess i'll have to pass it onto another cappy.

My fiance is a Capricorn, so I was anxious to try his "sign"...

Wow this is sharp, strong, medicinal smelling in the vial... almost too overpowering to try on...

After a few minutes, it warms to a sweet cedar/ patchouli scent... very masculine, powerful and sexy.