Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sookster

Slobbering Pine

Dewy, wet, whiplike and sticky.

straight sniff from imp is hemlock's deep, dark, sinister sister....all that :P

as i am a fan of hemlock this is fantastically gorgeous for me...i realize a LOT of folks would not even dream of trying a scent like this ... it is very much like a strong, green, cologne blend ... but perfectly done...yes, for the man in your life
this is it....it turns sharper....and greener .... and stronger...and then mellows just
beautifully...try it out and see for your own self :D

For all its sharp greenness, Slobbering Pine also has a sweeter, resinous dimension. You can smell the sap and the wood as well as the needles. The pine wood smell is most noticeable after the oil has had some time to dry down. For me, it's a very comforting scent that reminds me of camping in a forest. It stays close to my skin and hangs around a long time for lots of wrist-sniffing moments.

I might elaborate on this after I've had a chance to wear it at length by itself (today is try-everything day) but this is almost a dead ringer for my beloved Chaos Theory II: 163! I almost never wear my Chaoses because they're so rare and precious but I gotta say, this is pretty darn close...

In other words, it is a glorious clear pine, with a very clean, aquatic sheen over it. It's a branch of pine needles submerged in a perfectly clear stream, the water running over it and sending a faint misty froth into the air.

I think a lot of people will pick up on it as a detergent or cleaning fluid kind of smell because that's the association that pine often brings up, especially one this strong, clean and aquatic.

But I looove my pine so I don't care! :P I will have to wait for a longterm drydown to see if I get any of the resiny qualities described above. I can already sense it taking to my skin and turning into a much deeper scent, so I am hopeful that I will get the marvelous resins.

I predict a bottle in my future, because I need to complete my BPAL forest: Yew-Trees, Black Forest, Jersey Devil, Nocnitsa, etc etc. This is the most clear, pale of the green/pine scents, along with Loup Garou, though I don't think there's eucalptus in this.

In the bottle... this smells like pine, a squeeze of zesty lime, and a misty sort of aquatic note. Very pretty. I had high hopes.

On me... laundry :P. I smell like a sweet laundry soap. Slobbering Pine becomes a slightly sharper, darker version of Dirty on me. Strong and soapy, with a very cloying sweetness.

Headache inducing soap, with a sweetness that's rich enough to make me gag (and I normally love sweet scents). I wish that this had been more of a natural, piney scent :D

Slobbering Pine - This is the scent of a dewy pine tree sprinkled with sugar! It's definitely a pine scent, but it's not as sharp and biting as most of Beth's pine blends. It's definitely got a wet, watery scent about it that lightens up the evergreen scent, and it smells like someone sifted sweet, white sugar over the wet tree, and maybe a little bit of lemon zest, as well. Just as some lemon blends are so sweet they can smell like Lemonheads candy, this smells like some sort of pine tree candy. I really like this one! I'm still not sure that I'd be keen on wearing it as a personal fragrance since it's just really not my "style" of scent, but I might just have to try it some cold, wintery day during the coming months. Definitely an interesting scent. The throw is above average, yet not super-strong and the staying power is about average.

Edited to correct HTML problems.

Edited by edenssixthday

Slobbering Pine is really nice---pine with a bit of sweet grapefruit or some other citrus note, and maybe a touch of ozone to give it sparkle? Whatever's in here, it's a refreshing take on an evergreen, and very wearable. Because of my associations with pine trees and winter, this strikes me as a perfect blend to wear during the holidays.

An hour later, Slobbering Pine smells like an evergreen-y Danube. There's a bit too much aquatic at this stage for me, but I think this will be wonderful in my oil burner. I'll save my imp for December. :P

In the bottle/wet this smells like Pert shampoo.

It mellows out a bit though, on the dry down, becoming something fruitier and sweeter, maybe some grapefruit in there? kiwi? Hmm... Its not as strongly pine as I thought it would be. This is like Loup Garou's elderly maiden aunt.

It was mellowing and rounding out nicely, the sweet/piney smells were playing with one another in a quite dynamic and interesting way and then poof! Nary half an hour after I put it on its gone. Oh well, I think Loup Garou suits me better anyway and that one sticks around a bit more tenaciously. I'd probably dig Slobbering Pine more if not for the Pert shampoo associations.

I was hoping for a really pine-y blend with Slobbering Pine...

On, it is a light pine wiith a bright, almost citrus freshness... It reminds me a bit of Snow Bunny but it's much less sweet. It also has a bit of a fresh air note like Empyreal Mist.

Not what I was expecting, but nice none the less... :P

I am so dissapointed!

I mean, I do like it, a lot, I love pine in all it's shapes and forms, but for some reason, from the name and description, I was expecting a very dark and very resiny, woodsy pine, more in the vein of Black Forest, I guess.

I lived most of my life in the mediterranean and I was expecting the rich and strong scent of those dry and twisted pines, always dripping with resin, very dark green with their red trunks, which this is not at all.

It is wet, clean, bright. I don't detect any of the resin I expected, it is not dark at all, just very airy and fresh pine.

As it dries down it becomes a bit darker, but it is still a fresh and clean pine. Nothing sticky about it :P Not what I associate with sticky at least.

Bright pine, and yes, I agree that it is comparable to Snow Bunny, Snow Moon, et. al.

Still, after the intial sharpness of the pine, it becomes a fuller green pine....and I do see the comparisons to Dublin, etc.

It's nice enough but not me.

I really had no idea what to expect from this, other than, well, pine.

So for Slobbering Pine to be rich sappy pine with a shot of fresh citrus - well, color me a happy happy camper. This is a very piny blend, but very fresh as well - not the deep dark pines of winter, but a fresh summery pine forest. I really love this.

at first: very wet and very green.

on: very, very strong...almost menthol-y.

1 hour later: less biting and more green. nice.

2.5 hours later: green and fresh.

10 hours later: soft and powdery, but still green.

overall: this is nice, but it isn't really something i would wear.

this was a frimp w/ my last order..

i think this is a lovely, juicy (slobbering!) pine - somewhat fruity and tart - zingy like grapefruit or kumquat, and actually reminds me of pear. it becomes almost equal parts pine/fruity freshness. i see the comparison to snow moon et al, though it doesn't strike me as all that snowy... i see it more in the camp of jersey devil. fresh, outdoorsy, and a little wild.

A slightly green, herbal, fruity aquatic scent...a little tangy. It smells ever so slightly soapy, but in that really good way...this scent makes me want to take a nice, hot bath. Mmmm, I'm really liking this!

In vial: Pine gum. This is sharp and astringent.

Wet: Pine sol and evergreen bark.

Drydown: This is the smell of the mop bucket after cleaning the floors with pine sol. Yikes.

Slobbering Pine

In the imp: pine, but with a soapy wet greenness.

Wet on skin: now this really does smell like pine cleaner.

Dry: lots and lots of green, wet pine. Now it doesn’t smell like toilet cleaner, but it’s like being attacked by a giant pine tree. Imagine being whomped by the Whomping Willow but instead of this monster tree being a willow, it’s a pine. It’s a full on pine explosion, like I’ve been rolling in Christmas tree needles for days. There’s a wet, dewy quality to this pine though. it also reminds me slightly of Wolf Moon’s pine, but less cold and sweet.

After a while: now I smell the ‘electric aquatic’ scent of Tempest and Lightning mixed with the ‘waxy wet cardboard’ scent I got from Tears appearing behind the pine. It smells like dry pine bark backed up by an aquatic/ozone note that doesn’t really agree with me-it smells like the ‘static drier sheets’ scent I get with stormy ozones. It now smells like a pine tree with lightning flashing all around it. And I don’t like stormy scents…then this becomes a green version of the likes of Tempest-lots of peppery, electric ozone here, and I also smell moss here-not delicate powdery oak moss, but the scrubby, gritty, lichen like moss of RM Renfield that I wasn’t crazy about.

Verdict: I was hoping this scent would be of pine sap, that’s what the name brought to mind. I love the scent of pine resin, exactly like from the Mediterranean pines Medvssa mentions-it’s messy stuff but it smells so good. I don't get that at all here. This smells like a pine tree overgrown with thick moss caught in a thunderstorm. Which may sound wonderfully poetic to some, but on my skin, that smells like a mutant Christmas tree covered in masses of suffocating scrubby swampy moss, draped in drier sheets and with an overwhelming whiff of ‘photocopier ozone’. I actually preferred the first stage where the pine was truly dominant in this scent, and not the electrified tumble dried mossy bark scent I get at the end. This one will have to go, it ain’t my thing, I’m afraid.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? Nope.

If you like this, try: Wolf Moon 07, Yew Trees, Hemlock, Black Forest, Knecht Ruprecht, Thanatopsis, Jersey Devil

Edited by yeahbutnobut

There's a cold note in this, and it's coming out strongly on my skin. (Unfortunately.) Until the cold note came out, I smelled a lovely sticky pine scent -- not the dry woody pine I usually smell, but a deep earthy pine. (Not to say it smells like dirt because it doesn't. Just resinous and sweet and natural.)

I'm surprised this isn't more popular than it appears to be -- I thought that a lot of people liked the pine scents, and this is one of the best ones. It definitely smells good on my skin, and the cold note isn't as strong in this one as it is in the cold foresty Yule scents. The pine in this doesn't smell like cleaning products or astringent; it smells very natural.

Like I said, I think this is one of BPAL's best pine scents. I'm sort of waiting for it to catch on among fans.

Slobbering Pine-

In Bottle: Whoa, it's straight Irish Spring!

Wet: Soapy, a little fruity, and the pine emerges just a little.

Dry: Sharply soapy, a teensy bit eye-watering, but not too badly. I rather like it despite that. It really evokes that clean soapy smell, probably because of the Irish Spring image on first whiff.

Overall: Interesting!

In the bottle: Light, bright, nearly citrusy pine.

Wet: The citrus is pronounced, but very strong resinous pine seeps through.

Drydown: It dries down as sweet, resinous pine, which smells exactly like pine resin sweets taste like, refreshing and sticky, a bit citrusy. There's a slight ozone breath to it, a little bit misty around the pine trees. In fact after a while the citrus-ozone part of the blend completely overtakes the pine and dominates in a very bright CITRUS way. After a while, something close to an indistinct floral emerges.

Overall: Pine scents are hit or miss on me - I adore Yew-Trees, for example. This one is a bit too bright for me, it is certainly sticky, but I would have liked something darker and woodier rather than sharp and citrusy like this. I found out that slobbering pines are in fact a nickname for a type of Sundew, carnivorous plants, and I think I understand now why this smells so shrill. Not something I'd wear, but great for pine lovers.

i love bpal’s pine blends. so, for the sake of comparison, if black forest is “musky pine” and jersey devil is “berry pine”, then this one is “cologne pine”. it has a definite men’s cologne aspect. that often turns me off, but let me say in this case, it’s the best men’s cologne ever. the pine is strong and clean and a little bit soapy. it’s like what a really hot lumberjack should wear. need a bottle for the husband.

I don't really know how to describe this scent. I'm happy it's not an overwhelming pine, but I have no idea how to place it. Kind of soft, maybe even floral? Except not....

The best I can do is the mental image of going to the woods and being able to identify by scent which trees are girl trees.

(And yes, I know trees have no gender, but that's really the only impression I get of this scent. :P )

bottle: this is pine, make no mistake, but it is not dark or powdery like a lot of pine-flavored things tend to be (or perhaps i just have a powdery, spicy association with pine because of this pine incense my dad used to burn?)- this is not a woody pine, it really is green and wet and fresh and sappy and sweet and wonderful!

wet: just fresh, green, maybe sticky pine. i feel like i'm in a forest.

dry: augh! it turned to crappy pine-scented soap! nooo. :P i so liked this one. whatever.

Edited by porcelina

In the imp: Piney

On Skin: Medicinal pine smell, slightly aquatic, a hint of bitterness

On Drydown: Very aquatic fresh, slightly like laundry, very masculine

Verdict: This ends up smelling like an aquatic men's cologne on me. Definitely not my kind of thing.

Almost crisply pine, but a slight mellowness keeps it just short of that crispness. Slobbering Pine had a distinct "Pine cleanser" scent on me from the get-go. It wasn't unpleasant, but neither was it something I really want to smell, or smell like. Mistletoe, on the other hand, is a pine scent I'm happy to smell like.

After about 10-15 minutes, it grew more complex. Beneath that pine surface simmered a more complex scent. I have no idea what notes may be responsible for this change. Unfortunately, I can't properly appreciate it because it takes place beneath a slightly icky soup skin too reiminscent of pine cleanser for me. Thanks to the wackiness of skin chemistry, this icky soup skin could be my own skin. (Yeah, I know. I blew my own mind with that soup analogy too. It helps to write reviews whilst hungry.)