Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

... Be good, or Krampus will toss you in a river! Sinister red musk, black leather, dusty rags, and wooden switches.

In the bottle: lots of red musk and dustiness.

On me, wet: the leather comes out immediately, softening the dustiness and cutting across the red musk. It's quite a male scent, harsh yet warming.

On me, dry: the musk and the dry woods reassert themselves over the leather. This is a hot, dry musk and leather scent, rather masculine and quite sexy.

Verdict: If it were just up to me, I'd keep this - I love leather scents and I love red musk scents, so this is a fine combination to me. But the SO really dislikes that dustiness, so alas, I'll be unlikely to get much use out of this bottle.

Krampus-

In Bottle: Hm, a little musk, a little aquatic, a little foody. So far nice.

Wet: Oh--the dust! Not must, but dust! How did she do that? Yes, I smell the wood, too, not like cedar, but a delicious woody smell, and yes, there's just a hint of leather. The whole thing smells like roasting potatoes. I like! And I really don't get the musk so much any more. Just a hint.

Dry: One of the things I really like about this scent is that the leather in here is that same leather in DeSade and Spanked, which I don't like in those scents because they smell like, "Help, my car interior is on fire," but here it's so subtle it's just another delicious hint in the scent. The same thing with the red musk.

Overall: What a nifty scent! Yum!

Wow, once again Beth's blend perfectly matches the description.

Wet: dusty woods! A hint of cedar, patchouli, but very light, and DUST! The Leather shows up as this warms.

Dry: After about 10 minutes the red musk comes out, softening all the dusty wood and turning this sexier. To me this is masculine, but not overpoweringly so. This is a cool, sexy bookshop-owner, low-key but attractive. Can't see myself wearing this much, but I give it a thumbs-up.

Krampus

In the imp: woods and leather, and a hint of smoke. It's almost like Spanked, but not as spicy.

Wet on skin: the gorgeous musk starts to surface under the layer of leather and dusty woods.

Dry on skin: oh yeah, this is good stuff. It's like a masculine companion to Loviatar with added woody notes and a definite feel of dust. I swear I even smell a hint of the clean linen note here. Red musk and sleek black leather on top of fragrant planks of dark dry woods, maybe cedar. I really like the wood in here, it's almost resinous, but it does smell a little bit masculine. But this scent definitely resembles Spanked, and even though there's no cardamom here, it smells quite spicy.

After a while: I'm getting an odd, fresh pine-ozone note to this, which is very unusual. Maybe the 'dusty rags' could reading as clean linen with a hint of dust? But it seems to me like more of a cold, frosty, wintry type cent, which many of this years Yule scents have in common, and it does smell like pine or fir. I still smell the fragrant woods and leather and that wonderful, rich undertone of red musk.

And then, after an hour or two…I get patchouli. Yes, patchouli. I have no idea where it's coming from (maybe musk/leather and woods combining?) but I get a very strong dark patchouli note, at this point, the brief fresh winter breeze/fresh linen note is gone, so it's woods, leather, musk and patchouli now.

The drydown reminds me of Smut but without the sweet sugary vanilla scent I got from that, and with a deep patchouli note reminiscent of Schwarzer Mond. And then, it's pure aged patchouli.

Verdict: this is Spanked for 06. It has that same kinky leather note and a similar spicy feel to it, but this is much more woodsy (with wonderful rich resinous wood notes coming through every now and then) and has a wonderful, almost feral depth provided by red musk. But this cheeky little festive guy has a few tricks up his sleeve. He whips me with a dusty rag that smells of fresh laundry, an unexpected cool zingy note that passes through momentarily. And then he pulls out the final surprise…a huge hit of patchouli. Dark, heavy and aged patchouli, and it's really good stuff. This patch note also gives this scent more of a resemblance to Spanked and also to Anne Bonny and Schwarzer Mond, and also, with the red musk, this seems like a more masculine cousin of Smut and Loviatar. This is such a fun, naughty scent, very sexy and dark and wild. It does, however, seem quite masculine to me, but it's the kind of masculine scent that I like. I might need to get a bottle-I have a feeling this will age wonderfully.

Emoticon rating: :P :D :D

Is it a keeper? Definitely yes, for the decant. May get a bottle.

If you like this, try: Loviatar, De Sade, Anne Bonny, Smut, Count Dracula, the High Priest not to be Described

this smells like fig, leather and musk on me, with a slight patchouli. since the patchouli is understated, i really like this! it's so figgy on me, which kind of smells like the dusty rags mentioned in the description. :P methinks i'll have to get a big bottle.

Mmm...sweet red musk, rich leather, and just enough piny woods to give it a Yuletide vibe...delish on me...can't wait to sniff on the hubby...

Krampus - very dry spicy leather with phantom-vetiver.

Mr. K is a devilishly tough character because he makes Count Dracula (another musky leather) smell absolutely sweet in comparison.

This scent whips butt. Even the butt of a wrathful vampire. Because biting is naughty.

Edited by themerrybaker

Ooooh my.

There is no way the threat of this scent will make me behave. None whatsoever. I will be naughty. Switching abounds!

This reminds me of Loviatar, just a little - in the leather and red musk. But then there's the slightly dusty smell. On my skin, there's something a little...appley. Not really much like apples, but something juicy I just want to bite into. Also, the boy and I seem to be having a threesome with red musk...simply cannot get enough :D

I wonder what naughty things I'll have to do to be visited by a bottle... :P

In the bottle:

Oh God, dust ><;

On me:

At first, I am a little put off because I wasn't expecting the dust to be so.... you know.. dusty. It's all I can smell when I put this on. Okay, this just scares me right off the bat - it's like Miskatonic University all over again - dust and wood. Wood and dust. Dusty wood. Woody dust. Just awful on me, nothing sinister or sexual or naughty about that smell, it's just awful lol.

THANKFULLY, after only a few minutes it settles into the drydown stage which includes considerably less dust and wood. This is turning into a red musk that I am absolutely in love with. The leather is definitely there - it's a black leather, not rawhide and it's sharp and works wonderfully with that smooth red musk that is so beautiful in this scent. Someone (maybe a few people?) mentioned smelling a little bit of patchouli and I definitely get that. It's very much in the background though and fits in well with that leather. Thankfully the dust is GONE.

Final note:

I was REALLY not liking this at first, and suddenly it morphed into this amazing scent that I cannot stop sniffing. If this is what Spanked smelled like, no wonder people went crazy over it!!

Edited by Brianne

Sexy, sexy, stuff. It went a little powdery on me at the end, which bummed me out a bit, but it's worth trying again. And again.

I agree with the magic of the dusty scent. It's pretty amazing. And the leather. Ooh, baby.

This confirmed I really love red musk.

Rating (on skin): 2/5

Summarised in a few words/smilie: Musky... rags.

In the imp: Red musk, wood, and leather!

On skin, wet: Red musk, leather, and my beloved cedar! Also... dust. Not so good, dust.

On skin, dry: Very deep and warm, and surprisingly spicy. I'd classify it as sexy, were it not the damn dusty rags! It's a damp, unsettling thing, dusty rags. It's... off, like stagnant water.

Conclusion/Notes: I hadn't given much thought to the 'dusty rags' bit. While red musk is definitely starting to grow on me, Krampus is not something I'll be finding more of.

Mmmmm, red musk. Red musk sends shivers down my spine in such a good way. Krampus is primarily loads of red musk, with the leather, dusty rags, and green switches in thrall. It's kind of naughty!

This is the kind of scent that I really enjoy---not on me, but on someone close to me. :P

In the vial: Red musk. Dusty red musk.

Wet: I don't know Beth does it - this blend is exactly like the description above.

Drydown: This fades very quickly to an indistinct musk. Woe.

at first: dirty leather.

on: wow...this is a dusty sort of dirty scent. i can't really describe it.

1.5 hours later: dusty and dirty, with lots of woods and a bit of leather.

5 hours later: softer, but still dusty. i think the musk is coming out more now, which is nice.

overall: i'm not sure about this one. it isn't that i dislike it; it's just that it isn't how i prefer to smell, if that makes any sense. also, it made me feel sort of uncomfortable.

There's this store I love in St. Louis. On the ground floor it's a head shop. In the basement they sell sex toys and BDSM gear. I like to go there and buy saucy lingerie, and everything I bring home from there has a wonderful aroma of headshop/leather/musk wafting from it. I love the smell so much that it's almost a shame to wash the clothes and get rid of it.

Krampus is that store in a bottle. This is a mixture of a very animalistic musk, leather, and a note that reminds me of patchouli, but I kind of think it may actually not be patchouli. It flirts with mustiness but never crosses the line. I can't really describe the overall effect except to say that it smells like a kinky headshop! I can't decide whether it makes me want to get it on or mellow out.

Definitely give this one a try if you like Smut. Krampus is a little heavier, a little more masculine, but there's definitely a familial resemblance between the two scents.

Beth definitely evoked an appropriate image here, reminding me of shopping for the sort of things a bad girl might put on her wish list...

Krampus

I tried this yesterday before reading the reviews and then again today as I was reading them. Intrigued by the references to leather, Spanked and Count Dracula because I adore these!!!

In the vial: dusty leather

First impression: Strongly leather with a lightly dusty scent. Its true that this could be strictly masculine, but leather is excellent on me. At least in my opinion! :P

This is definitely sweeter than Count Dracula and lacks the spice of Spanked. I almost get an apple scent.

When I wore it yesterday I was craving an apple scent, so I lightly layered DKNY Be Delicious over this. Yum! Even though I have almost exclusively turned to BPAL, I still have a few favorite other scents.

Overall: Leather, apple and wood. Sexy! Love this and would love to try it on my Sweetie!

I had high hopes for this one. But, on me it is extremely masculine. To the point of distinct mens cologne. :P Yes, I smell dusty leather, and dark woods and spice. However, there is this layer of something sharp that makes me cough. Almost alcohol-esque. I can see this being amazing on a man, or someone else with different chemisty than mine.

Back to the swap pile it goes! :D

I keep sniffing and thinking "Be good, or Krampus will toss you in a river!" :P

In the bottle: Crochety old man. Crochety old man ready to throw me in a river my inherent naughtiness. Grumpy, but a softie on the inside.

On me: Masculine, but only slightly so. It has some of that heady rootiness that I associate with Doc Buzzard and Schwarzer Mond...which pretty much means I will probably grow to love this. I'm glad I didn't let Krampus scare me :D .

Krampus is one sexy bastard. Red musk and leather, but not strong and I get whispers of the dust and wood. Amazing. I can't believe how I can smell the notes so clearly, though of course it would be harder for me to decipher them without the description :P It also reminds me an old Czech town I visited for some reason…mmmm, Český Krumlov is where it's at. It smells like that beautiful place looked and felt to me somehow, in a really wonderful memory-filled way. Old wood, but not too dusty, people with leather aprons, warm skin. Something…a little like a green plant of some sort too, almost, but not quite, herbal minty and a touch cool on my skin. Not too leathery, not that I mind a bit of leather. Ten minutes later, it's morphed almost completely. There's more red musk coming out, warming and sweetening it up, just a little sweetness though. Unusual and so sniffable.

Mmm... this is just as luscious as I expected from the Yule collection this year. They all have a lusciousness to them.

This is a dark red scent with black leather mixed in and a few dead trees standing around. It's definately a scent that I can imagine a man smelling like but also a lady.

This is a much cleaner scent than I imagined it would be. The red musk and the leather is on top, but the leather is not an overpowering note, it's rather crisp. The wooded notes are underneath, and they are very clean and pleasant. Sort of like those good smelling cedar eggs you put in your sock drawers. This is a very dark and sinister scent and very masculine.

This has a lot of throw and is a very strong oil; a little goes a long way. This is definitely not my type of thing, but I don't dislike it as much as I thought I would.

In bottle: Never really applies to me as it never smells anything like that on me.

After 30 minutes: Wow. I reeeally din't think I would like this scent. It smells a bit musty (not to be confused with musky) and a loooot like a really higher end older perfume without the florals. I smell a really really base faint low powder mixed with woods.

and though i never would have thought to describe it as leather, yes, there is definately some leatherlike smell to it.

this is quite the masculine-hinting scent. Thaaaat's probably why i really love it. i went ahead and got a bottle of this after trying an imp. has really great staying power.

In the vial: All musky sex. YAY!

On the skin: Yum. I have the musk, all sinister and sexy, leather, dust (which is surprising, since I'm allergic to it) and a woodsy smell. Honestly, this was my favorite of the Yule '06, completely by surprise! It's manly, but when I wear it, it's all musky and hot. Which is funny, since usually musk and I don't mix.

Love Krampus!

Would it surprise anyone that a Gemini like me has a new favorite every day. Today - this is my favorite. Which is funny because I bought it for the name alone. The notes scared the hell out of me.

Musk always reminds me of those awful musk colognes that were so popular in the 70s. But I've found many musk blend at BPAL that I like very much so I'm learning that musk isn't all about hairy-chested men in leisure suits on the make at the local disco.

Black Tower taught me not to fear the leather note, but to embrace it, and wooden switches could go either way. I love woodsy scents... but switches.?

Then there's those dusty rags :D .

But I hoped despite the dubious notes, Krampus would surprise me. And he did.

In the bottle, this one is sweeter than I expected it to be, mostly wood with just a hint of muskiness.

The leather revs up on my skin, and its a soft delicious leather smell. Seductive, with a hint of menace.

This one dries down so beautifully on me its almost beyond description. The notes balance gorgeously into one of the most wickedly tempting fragrances imaginable. This stuff is bottled evil - but what lovely evil. Rich voluptuous leather, the crisp crack of wood, and sexy musk all softened by what must be the dust, but it isn't 'dusty', just a hint of something earthy that grounds the intensity of the other notes. Like viewing a perverse orgy through a muslin veil. Mmmmm.... :P

With wear, this softens throughout the day. The woods come to predominate while the leather and musk play nicely in the background. But every stage of wear is beautiful. This isn't one of those fragrances where I have to wait for it to blossom - Krampus morphs on me, but each change is a sweet and sinister revelation.

You are yummy, Mr Krampus.

Mmm, red musk, but leather? Never good on me. And I hope the wood doesn't go strange. I want to like this.

In the bottle - Very musky and I can smell freshing cut willow. It brings such great memories of my childhood, helping my mother trim our little weeping willow tree...

Wet - Musky dust, musty dusk. :P

Drying - There's something sharp and... well, weird in here. I wonder if it's the leather breaking down already? Usually it takes longer than this. Huh.

Dry (1 hour) - Well, it's not BAD, but it's not stellar on me. It's mostly a really musty red musk, just dust and musk. No zing to it.

Overall - Eh, this just doesn't move me one way or the other. Which puts it in the "no" catagory, I'm afraid.