Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Treat #2

A fine confection for discriminating trick or treaters: a fig meat, coconut, and buttercream bonbon rolled in orange rind, mint leaf, cardamom, clove and ginger, dipped in milk chocolate.

Bottle: I get a really buttery scent, chocolate and orange/mint, the spice is there too, but I'm not quite...oh, there's the coconut. It's very rich. It's very foody but edged with the orange and mint.

Wet: Chocolate-coconut with a little mint...like one of those chocolate coated candies. Maybe a little figgy, not a lot.

As it dries it's uncannily reminds me of a pile of those chocolates...

What are those chocolates? Open a box of chocolates (Sees, those Westmark ones, almost any assortment) and you'll have some filled with coconut, some mint chocolate, a chocolate orange divided into fake sections or chocolate orange buttercreams...it's a bit like a pile of those on a very fancy plate -- the spices render it more upscale and hiding behind it is the fig perhaps...something a little darker. Maybe they're being served on a crystal fig leaf plate. You get the picture.

Dry: The spice comes out more. The fig as well. Less chocolate, less buttercream...maybe it's the delicious smell of the empty box 'cause my skin has eaten it all. :P Not really. It feels simultaneously light and heavy. Light spice, some soft coconut, an edge of orange and mint and chocolate.

It's lovely, soft and sweet. Puzzling. I have ambivalent memories of those chocolates (preferred the nuts), so the fact that I keep sniffing my wrist surprises me. I really liked the immediacy of Treat #1 at willcall, which is very fresh and in your face in the bottle, so I kind of skipped over the butteriness of this, but on wearing it's...it's complicated. Definitely for the descriminating palate, feels oddly high end.

I was so excited and yet a little nervous to get this one- chocolate scents are notoriously awful on me.

However. This scent is fabulous. In the bottle, chocolate candy. Much less rich than the usual chocolate scents. Wet, the chocolate quickly melts away and lets the other notes come forward- mmm, coconut, fig, the whole sampler pack.

It dries surprisingly bright and sugary, with the underlying creaminess keeping it from going over the top sweet. It's just delectable, and definitely the more grownup of the two treats.

Oh, amazing ToT Inquisition! I got Treat #2, which is the one I was desperately coveting. In the bottle, it's a gorgeous mix of rich milk chocolate, coconut and orange rind, with just a sprinkle of candied ginger on top.

On the skin, the ginger, mint and cardamom come out much more, and the chocolate takes a back seat, but it's still very present. I second what SueDonym said, about it being the delicious scent of the empty box of chocolates. It's lovely.

Treat #2 was the blend that I was most looking forward to. Buttercream, chocolate, coconut, fig, spices? I am all over that. I was a little worried about some of the notes that don't typically love me (mainly the mint and orange).

In the bottle... this smells like a very exotic truffle. It smells like a fig drenched in milk chocolate, sprinkled with warm, spicy ginger.

On me... this is so strange. The hints of mint are warring with the warm spices over a backdrop of sweet chocolate and fig. I love BPAL's fig notes. They're sweet in a dark, wooden sort of way. After a few minutes, hints of a sharp citrus start to poke their way in. I'm not really smelling any coconut though.

After a half hour or so, I'll have to agree that SueDonym summed this one up very well; it's something like smelling an empty box that used to contain exotic mixed truffles. The chocolate fades to the background and the spices come out more. They're slightly sharp, dark spices more than they are sweet though. The fig remains pretty constant and faithful on my skin, clinging for all it is worth.

This is a dark and (surprisingly) not overly sweet scent on my skin.

After wearing this for 2 1/2 hours, it's a light, toasted coconut and milk chocolate.

ETA: I'm going back to edit some of my inquisition reviews, just because my bottles haven't seemed to age very well. I bought up three bottles of Trick #2 on ebay, since I was pretty fond of the scent. Over time, though, all of them have grown unbearably sharp. They're now dominated by sharp citrus and bitter spice with a nauseating sweetness lurking underneath. Perhaps the spice and buttercream didn't age well while some of the other notes faded away. Just smelling these in the bottle makes my stomach turn, and they're not much better on my skin. I can't pick out any of the chocolate, coconut, or fig that I liked so much initially. I'm selling all of my bottles :P

Edited by Blood onmy hands

In Bottle: Buttercream, orange, cocoa

On Skin: The orange and buttercream are strongest. The buttercream is thick, and the orange is very sweet and candy like (no fresh juicy orange). The chocolate is also quite strong… this smells like those chocolates filled with orange buttercream exactly!! Wow!! I was worried about the cardamom and clove, but they are VERY faint, just a slight spice in the back playing with the also light ginger. The mint does actually cut through, and adds to the candy feel. The fig and coconut I’m having a real hard time finding. I’m thinking the fig isn’t standing on it’s own… rather it’s blending with the orange and sweetening it making a beautiful candied fruit feel. Now the coconut… hmmm… yes… it is also blending, but with the buttercream. It’s like a coconut buttercream flavored with orange and fig. Perfect! As the scent develops, the ginger comes forward and it reminds me of candied ginger and that adds another unique element to this scent. This is a sweet delicious scent, but not really one I will wear bunches. I think I will save it for festive Halloween events and maybe use a little for a room scent. Medium to strong throw and very good wearlength.

This one is intense and confusing, complex and high-end. It's definitely smooth and chocolate-orangey with a thick buttery undertone, and the cardamom pops right up on me. It's not buttery like the pumpkin scents or Gluttony, it's a more subtle, though very rich, buttercream.

It has dried down to a a light creamy version of itself. It's very interesting. I admire it as a perfume but I'm not sure if it agrees with me or not - orange and I, we're on ambivalent terms. I'm going to have to wear it a bit to decide. But this is definitely a very compex and luxurious chocolate scent that I'm impressed by, whether it's for me or not!

I just recieved this today :P I am not too much of a mint lover, so I was a little sad when i saw #2 on the bottle. This is all chocolate covered coconut figs with orange glaze (NO MINT!!!). This is the sweetest scent I own (next to Mitzvah) It is extremely strong, but not in a bad way at all. I like that it is very complex, I adore my t-shirt too.

ETA: This has become a little bitter because of the orange & now I smell a bit of mint... weird.

Edited by Lorencita

in the bottle this smells like a buttery coconut-chocolate candy.

on me, after drying down for a bit, it smells like a buttery candy... I can't quite figure out what. I can smell chocolate-orange and something a little spicy.

Edited by Nightbird

to me, this is very chocolate orange. In the bottle I get butter and orange, and on me I get chocolate, a little bit of earth, or boozy, and then the orange seems to win out.

SO DAMN GOOD. Oh lord, don't lick the arm, it won't taste as good as it smells! Gotta keep reminding myself...

Anyway, this blend was the one I was most looking forward to. Boy was I right. It has great throw and wear length brand-new, which bodes well for it aging even better. The chocolate, coconut and fig are the strongest notes on my skin. Yet there is still orange... possibly the slightest breath of ginger (I heart Beth's ginger!). No mint to my nose, too bad but I don't really notice faint mint notes much, frankly. Essentially, this smells like something Godiva chocolates just WISHES they could create. The most decadent truffle ever. And you know what? It's not the sort of foody you get self concious about; something is keeping it sort of elegant, despite the drool-worthy qualities. I'm thinking it's the fact that it isn't bowl-you-over sweet. Its sort of grown-up, like an 85% dark chocolate; something that is rich and velvety but not tooth-achingly sweet. This is totally a BPAL masterpiece, and worth the extra $. Despite the orange chocolate thing, it is nothing like 13, I should add. They're totally different, though I like 13 a lot too.

Now, I need to resign myself to one single bottle. Cannot hoard this one! Painful as that realization may be for me!

Totally a 5 out of 5 for me, if not higher. (Thanks, labbies, for getting these out before Halloween- I can wear the shirts at work, they're seasonal, and therefore OK, whereas usually shirts with writing aren't, so I'm gonna wear these puppies constantly!!)

In the bottle: Sweet, buttery, a little nip of orange.

Wet: Oh wow. Coconut and a little earthy fig. Still buttery, but in more of a buttercream way, as opposed to the buttery note in Jack. The mint is up and gone in a flash.

Dry: Oh. Oh my gods. *takes a moment to compose self* This is so perfect, I can't stand it. The chocolate in this never really surfaces on me. What I get is sugar cookie-like, with a spiced buttercream spread over it. It is warm and sweet and spicy and foody, sinful and absolutely decadent. I can't stop sniffing it, and neither can my husband! Of course, now he's demanding I bake him a cake. LOL

Mmmm. When I first opened the bottle, I was a little concerned. This was SWEET, thick, delicious buttercream. It smelled exactly like the frosting on the cupcakes that my favorite old fashioned bakery makes. You know the type. You eat one, and the frosting is so decadent that eating another makes you feel sick to your stomach. This was troubling because I recently learned that sugar goes sour on me when it dries.

Then I was concerned because citruses, particularly oranges, amp up on me, so that I smell like a household cleaner. No chocolates work on me either. Worries all around.

And yet, when I die, they will be prying this bottle from my cold, dead, fingers.

Once on, this scent is soft. Not in the sense that it's hard to smell, but rather in feeling. It's smooth, elegant, creamy, WOW. The orange, true to form, comes out most on me, but it's gentle and gorgeous. You know when you get a dark chocolate truffle with the orange cream inside, and you bite it, and the shell of chocolate crunches and crisps slightly, and then you're into the semi-solid cream? This scent is that moment. The delightful second when the tart sweetness of the creme melds with the bittersweet of the chocolate and you are in heaven.

I don't really ever get the mint, but all of the other stages are there at varying times. The majority of the time for me it was a soft orange with hints of cocoa. A few hours after application it is a quiet coconut.

Weirdly enough, at moments I get a whiff of it, and it smells exactly like Candy Corn. Trick or Treat doesn't smell like candy corn to me, but with this I keep getting little snatches of that smell. It's not so much the candy corn, but the little mallowsweet pumpkins that come in the autumn mix. God, I love that smell.

Like others have said, this is like the empty box of chocolates leaving the lingering sensation of all the different blends together. It's mostly mouthwatering spicy chocolate with orange upon me. The chocolate and the orange are truest with each of the blends coming in and out leaving their marks but just keeping those two over time. The orange at the end just edges out the chocolate. A very grown up delish delight, thanks labbies!

I am so sad about this scent! :P I looove fig, coconut and ginger. But when I put this on, I get orange peel buttercream, which turns into orangey plastic when the cardamom starts to emerge. We hates it! No coconut, no chocolate, barely any fig. Only when I layered it wit Underbed did I get something wearable. Bah. Swap.

In the imp, this smells like cocoa, deep and rich. On my skin, it smells like...well...it smells like a coconut cream chocolate. Bleah. I hate coconut creams.

ETA: After about 15-20 minutes, there's a pronounced sour note (I had the same problem with 'The Candy Butcher'.) Very unpleasant, and obviously not for me.

Edited by harmonyfb

Maybe it's a body chemistry thing, but I didn't really get chocolate orange at all. Usually BPAL's chocolate blends stay pretty true on my skin, but with this one, the clove overpowers it until I get a dry, stale, fake chocolate smell. Not good.

Rating (on skin): 5/5

Summarised in a few words/smilie: :P

In the bottle: The first thing that comes to mind? Terry's Chocolate Oranges, specifically the chocolate orange mint sort. I love those damn things, though I rarely have them anymore.

On skin, wet: From the off, the fig, coconut and buttercream appear, mixing beautifully with the orange, mint, and chocolate.

On skin, dry: This is foody. Why am I swooning? The cardamom and ginger come out, and this becomes a... well, a fig/coconut bonbon rolled in orange rind, a bit of mint, cardamom, and ginger, and dipped in chocolate! The chocolate here is not as... strong, rich, or thick as other BPAL chocolate notes, which is likely a good thing: I imagine a stronger chocolate might've overwhelmed the other notes for me. After a while, this seems less foody to me, though I can't place why.

Conclusion/Notes: I love Treat #2, plain and simple. It was the one I was hoping to receive with my T/T order, and I wasn't disappointed! (Don't get me wrong, #1 sounded interesting, but my heart and eyes were always on this one.)

Edited by Aredhel

In the bottle: Warm butter like Jack, with a dash of chocolate, and spices.

Wet on skin: The butter mellows some, and the chocolate comes to the fore, highlighted by the fig and the orange rind.

Dry in skin: the cardamon and the other spices start to take the stage, and it settles into a sweet and spicy mix on my skin.

Not a whole lot of throw on me, but I haven't found many that do. This one is a serious keeper.

"Life is like a box of BPAL, you never know what you're going to get" :P

I swapped my Treat #1 for this and could not be happier.

The description of this as an empty box of premium chocolates is perfect.

First go round the Buttercream, Fig & Chocolate came out.

Second try the Orange was much more prevalent.

Spices give this warmth but don't overwhelm.

In any case, the Coconut and Clove proved to not be the problem I'd anticipated.

Edited by Heavenlyrabbit

Treat #2-

In Bottle: Oh, yeah. Orange and chocolate and buttercream, baby! Like one of those chocolate oranges that comes in segments.

Wet: The orange heightens. And here comes the coconut!

Dry: Holy God, is this delicious. Orange-coconut-chocolate-buttercream all the way through, and it never got musty on me, which is amazing for a chocolate scent. I really want a big bottle of this. (hears the shouts, "YOU AND EVERYONE ELSE BEE-YOTCH!)

Overall: I am ownz0rd.

On me this is a very strong buttercream scent with a shady dusting of coconut powder. I'm not getting any orange chocolate at all. :P This settles into a spicy sour "something" that I just can't describe. Not at all good on me.

Why don't sweet foody scents love me as much as I love them? They always go plastic on my skin and this is no exception. :P

But I'm more than happy to keep my bottle and use it on my clothes and hair because it really is divine. Rich dark chocolate with orange. The mint makes an appearance for maybe a minute, but mostly I don't notice it. As it dries down I get whiffs of coconut and fig. I tried it in the morning while I was wearing my dressing gown and the next day said dressing gown is emanating the fragrance of juicy coconut flesh!

At first, it's mostly an odd sort of chocolate covered orange (there was an almost boozy note lingering around), but on my skin, the fig comes out to play. It's foody, but really doesn't actually smell like candy, and it's not all that sweet. The spices help bring it into perfume territory. This wasn't quite what I was expecting, but wonderful nevertheless! The fig + orange combo is very striking.

In the bottle the chocolate is rampant, it has this only vague tinge of orange to it... what really strikes me as interesting and beautiful is the slathering of buttery notes I get from it. I mean, literaly butter, you can almost taste it, and feel it's soft, squishiness.

On the skin the orange comes out, and the chocolate nearly disappears.... the orange is still there but the butteryness becomes even stronger, along with the herbs... it's a very very interesting scent. It's a keeper if only to pay homage to the nose.

i guess i was naughtier than i thought, cuz it spilled over into the nice!

(yes, i wanted Treat #1)

chocolate should never, ever be mixed with 1. mint 2. orange 3. coconut

if i could subtract the mint and coconut and orange from this blend, it'd be pretty okay.

but the first hour or so of minty-orangey-chocolate was so awful it brought on a migraine on top of my sinus headache. and i have to work a 12 hour shift tonight :P

eventually this dries down to a very figgy spice, with buttercream wafts. but it isn't worth the time it takes to get there.

off to swaps!