Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The fear of Halloween. Menacing Haitian vetiver, patchouli, and clove with a shock of bourbon geranium, grim oakmoss, and dread-inspiring balsams pierce the innocuous scent of autumn leaves.

a warm, woodsy fall scent. reminds me of hexennacht, but darker. and it’s got the same awesome “autumn leaves” note as samhain. like being out in the woods at night, warming your hands by a fire. sometimes vetiver and oakmoss are too “earthy” on me, but i love them here. the herbal balsam and sweet patchouli combine with them perfectly. i’d like to get a bottle – hope it returns in ’07!

Like Samhain, but softened. I can detect the oakmoss and balsam, and the vetiver too, which luckily is not too strong. It’s darker and more subdued than Samhain. In fact I prefer Samhain, but this is a nice alternative for something softer. This is the nighttime counterpart to Samhain’s daytime fruitiness. I really like it, but it stops short of love.

Wet Very vetiver :D

Dry I don't detect any vetiver anymore, nor any clove, nor patchouli... It's quite perfumey/cologne-y and masculine. I think I amp oakmoss and balsam - I also do it with Luperci. Not that they smell anything alike. Luperci is golden and sweet, and this is more... well, cool and autumnal I guess.

I do like it okay, but I'm glad to try and test it well before Samhain comes around again. As it stands right now, I don't think I will need a full bottle if it ever returns. Will edit some more if anything changes on second or third try...

ETA: Okay so here is my impression on the second try: :D After a bit of practice with this one, it is perhaps even better than Luperci on me. It's got the same feel, but is grittier and smokier. I guess I do detect the patch/vetiver after all, although it's subtle. But what I missed in Luperci was just this. "Grittiness" :P Love this. And if I manage to score a full bottle I will be happy-happy.

Edited by Browneyes

I didn't think it was possible to like this more than Samhain but I LOVE this.. so much. It is cool, dark and eerie with a bit of a ghostly swirl of smoke whilst Samhain is very harvesty and orange. There is a sweet similarity to them.

I have no idea what the notes in here smell like individually (besides the clove..which doesn't really pop out) but it's so gorgeous I can't handle it! I just love it when the wind blows and I get a whiff of my own scent. :P

As for throw etc, it's not as strong as Samhain but it still gets the attention of people. Don't you just love it when your friends tell everybody to sniff you :D

In the imp: Mmmm... Dark and woody, with a hint of smoke.

Wet on skin: Vetiver and balsam. Very deep and dry. Something that is not quite smoke and not quite leather, but almost like wet leather steaming in front of a radiator (I wonder if that's oakmoss?)

Early dry down: The patchouli is heating up on my skin and lending this the strange, spicy molasses richness that the best patchouli blends do on my skin. Paired with a very subtle vetiver and the smallest bite of clove, this smells like something I would happily smoke in a pipe.

Late dry down: Wow. This is gorgeous. The patchouli is a thoughtful, woody yet sweet base, and the other notes waft alla round it like smoke in the night air. The clove is spicy and the vetiver darkens it, while the leaves add that smokey tang. I LOVE this.

Why oh why did I not buy a bottle of this last year? Oh that's right...No money and vetiver scared me. RATS! This is like a dryer, scarier Vixen on me since the patchouli is behaving in exactly the same beloved way. This would have been a perfect cold day scent. I hope it comes back in 2007!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is creepy and dark! It is the darkest night of autumn with scraping leaves that chase you as the wind flies at your back. You try to pretend you're not nervous but after a moment you speed your gait and eventually you are running to get home.

Patchouli, apples, decay, leaves. Samhain night personified.

This smells VERY perfumy to me!! Someone mentioned the smell of tobacco... and to me it's as if tobacco was a perfume. It's very strong, smoky and sweet, but it's trying to bring my migraine back.

I really don't like this scent at all. :P trade.

This review refers to the 2006 version of the blend.

In the bottle: Oakmoss and balsams along with vetiver. Deep, masculine, complex.

Wet on skin: Pungent, sharp balsams, mostly, and the scent of dead leaves. It's refreshing.

Drydown: It's a deep, masculine scent, mostly balsams with a bite, possibly also some geranium. There's something nearly mentholated about it, and definitely lots of leaves. Mmm, leaves! The oakmoss warms it up but doesn't take over, giving it a deeper feel, and clove is barely there, just adding to the mix.

Overall: It's not at all something I would wear, but it's absolutely one of the most sexy masculine scents I've smelled. It's very autumnal, cool and spicy at the same time. I'm keeping this one on hand as a room scent or to spread onto someone.

Yow, only one other review for Samhainphobia '07 so far? Where's the love? :P

I nearly squealed with delight when I opened this (I haven't had any other incarnation of Samhainphobia before) because this smelled downright dank and sour, with vetiver creeping about. Yeah, only I would find reason to squeal about that. Anyway, this is predominately patchouli and vetiver for sure at first, and I can detect that BPAL "autumn leaves" note.

First, I'm fascinated by just how insanely thin this oil is. It practically vanishes into my skin immediately. What smells foreboding in quite light on my skin. This is clearly vetiver-lite, "autumn leaves", and oakmoss. Atmospheric and realistic without being assaulting or overpowering. This stays very, very close to the skin and you can to be close to smell this. If you appreciate straight-forward takes on vetiver or patchouli, consider Samhainphobia. I'm thinking of getting a 2nd bottle before November, but I haven't yet decided. I hope more people give this understated charm a try!

2007 version:

In bottle/imp: Very strong vetiver, patchouli and geranium. Eek.

Immediately on skin: Dry. Very very dry. The vetiver is there blending with the patchouli and geranium to create a very bitter scent. It’s very reminiscent of autumn when all the leaves have finally fallen and the air is crisp.

After a few minutes: The geranium is what’s strongest on me, which is very unfortunate since I absolutely HATE it. There’s a bit of dirt from the patchouli and the murkiness of the vetiver as well. The balsams are also coming through, but only a little.

Overall Impressions: If you’re looking for a dry, dirt-like, bitter and slightly spicy forest scent, then try this out. Just about all of those are things I don’t like in a perfume, so I’ll be giving up this imp for sure.

[from my 2006 bottle]

I knew there was a reason I waited months and months to review Samhainophobia. I tested it a few times, and just didn't get it. I read the reviews. I read the description. What I had didn't match up with any of that. No patchouli, no vetiver......in fact, none of the notes listed, as far as I could tell. To me, Samhainophobia smelled almost exactly like Samhain, with just a smidge of sharpness on top. [i should mention, when I wear Samhain, I mostly get the sweet apple note, almost like honey, and very little woods or patchouli or anything else like that. Samhainophobia is the same way.]

Well, I wore it again today, and it finally 'clicked' for me. It still smells sweet, like Samhain's apple note. But there is a chill, like autumn woods at night, that just reached out for me this time. It's reminiscent of bpal's snowy blends, but definitely different.....this is an autumn chill, with the slightly spicy sweetness behind it. I think I finally just gave in and accepted the scent as it is, and found that I really like it. And since autumn is my favorite season, I'll be wearing this again, for sure.

This one is dark and woody and almost overwhelmed by what I think is the vetiver. It's definitely reminiscent of wandering through a chilly forest at night in the fall, looking over your shoulder to check for ghosts, but it just won't work as a scent on me. Pity.

so that's vetiver? eep. i also don't think oak moss likes me very much. this is way too bitter for me and almost makes me queasy.

In the bottle: Peppery autumn leaves

Wet: heavy autumn leaves, cold air and a wetness... its a sharp green wetness. It smells a bit like mildew... yes.. mildewed laundry. The smell you get when you open the washing machine after forgetting you washed a load of clothes few days ago... and its july...

Drydown: The sharp mildew-y note is gone... replaced by freshly snapped evergreen boughs, autumn leaves again and a sweetness... almost floery..but not.

Overall I think I will be happy just having an imp...

ETA: I was wrong.. I need this in a full bottle.. I can't stop smelling it..

Edited by shushufontanah

2007 version.

Wow, this is green, crisp, woody heaven. It reminds me of Lush's Tramp.

I get crispy leaves, mashing into the damp dirt of a forest trail. A forest, where goblins and ghouls lurk behind each tree. It is gorgeous.

This scent is incredible. I am absolutely in love with it -- and why shouldn't I be? Vetiver is my love, and patchouli as well -- this blend had everything just right, almost as if it were made for me :P I can't stop sniffing my wrists when I have it on. The final dry-down fade is a dusty, autumnal leaf smell -- whoever mentioned decay was RIGHT ON and I. Am. In love.

I may have to purchase another bottle of this before it's gone!!

Fierce and commanding, with its dry leaves that choke up your nostrils and the sharp scents of balsam. Next a muddle of sharp and soft, as if a tiger is rolling you around and sinking its claws into you. On the drydown, there's a nuzzleworthy masculine scent but still with that sharp skreeling touch.

I cannot get enough of this scent... seeeeeeeeriously! I'm with the camp that loves Samhain, but wants to have Samhainophobia's babies :D

A brisk breeze, damp streets, soggy Autumnal leaves stuck to your stompy boots... hurrying home from a spooky movie all by yourself at night! Past the graveyard, even!!

Oh sexy erl, just jump in my panties already!!! Whooooooohoooooooo!!! :P

I just need a bucketful. Honestly.

5/5

I really wasn't expecting to like this one. I WANTED to like it, but both Death of Autumn and October were absolutely vile on me, so I was despairing over finding the perfect "autumn leaves" scent. SO GLAD I got an imp of this.

In the bottle it's very earthy with a hint of smoke, and on my skin it's smokey leaves with spices and an unexpected hint of sweetness. The balsams round this out very nicely for me because I ADORE pine in all forms. (Black Forest is one of my absolute favorite scents.) This is the first blend I've tried with vertiver in it, and I was a bit nervous because a lot of people seem to really hate vertiver. Luckily, my skin seems to like it!

After quite a few Halloween disappointments, (Twisted Oak Tree was 100% ivy on me. No lovely smokey wood scent at all ::weeps::P I'm in love. Totally ordering a bottle.

Again, this is very similar to Death of Autumn (I tried that one first). It's like if Samhain and Death of Autumn got together. It's not as smoky as Death of Autumn, but it lacks the sweetness of Samhain. This one is darker, slightly murkier.

Very strong patchouli and vetiver on me.

2007 Version

Oh, weird. It smells like a garden center or like Florida on a sunny day! Bagged soil, tropical flowers and leafy green things. This is such an interesting thing to smell like, I almost want a bottle.

...or not. Upon drydown, it turns much more perfume-like - I wonder if it's because of the geranium? Smelling this for too long makes me feel a little ill, and is beginning to trigger my allergies. Dangit.

2007 version

in the bottle: mmm, a nice mixture of darkness and spice. Slightly masculine, but nothing overly so.

wet: no clove, no geranium, but lots of everything else.

dry: straight up, it's the smell of men's cologne. not bad, per say, just really really manly.

verdict: 2 out of 5 this blend is really not me at all, but, it's not a bad scent. it would work if you really want a masculine scent. for me, though, it's just too much.

'07 Version

I went into this one having my.. reservations. It started out suprisingly sweet on me, which really intrigued me, I blame the geranium for the instant sweetness. It then gets depth.. and sadly is goes too deep for my nose. I could see people wanting to smell like this, as it isn't a bad scent, and I think it would wear really lovely in the colder weather, it feels.. removed.. detatched.. I don't know.. it maybe is just too dark for me, though again, it would be really lovely, especially if you were going to like.. a gallery opening or something a bit more.. poshy

bottle: this reminds me a great deal of samhain at first sniff but then i notice the differences: more smoky, a bit less sweet.

wet: this is a smoky, wet autumn evening. and there is an almost unusual sweetness here that smells melancholy.

dry: still an unusual smoky sweetness. i had purchased this bottle for my husband and was just giving it a test but i think it may end up in my rotation.

First sniff: I’m betting now this lovely freebie from nineveh won’t work on me. Vetiver and I do not get along, and in the vial, it’s very vetiver with a little tingle of clove.

Wearing: It reminds me of a darker and more stable Voodoo… the same tingly darkness, with a swirl of Samhain’s leaves and autumn chill.