Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Creepy-

This season’s Ridiculous Scent! As creepy as Spooky was spooky, this is the scent of butterscotch-kissed, caramel-smothered red apples spiked with a blast of coconut rum.

When I first opened the bottle it smelled a lot like Red Lantern. On me its much softer... the smell is just like the taste of those butterscotch candies. I smell apple but only slightly. I love that this isn't a heavy scent.

Loves it!

In the bottle, this hits you in the face with buttery caramel and tart apples. It's like that on the skin when wet, but as it's dried on me over the last hour, it's definitely lost all of its "appleness" and is now some weird combination of butter and coconut. Not at all fruity or what I was hoping for.

I knew I would love this one, and I certainly do! Pure, gooey, warm caramel apples; pure and simple. The apple note definitely strikes me as green apple, which is usually how I picture caramel apples anyway. The caramel note is not overwhelmingly sweet, but delicious and unmistakable. I definitely need another 5 ml. This makes me drool, I loooove it!!!!! :P

Lots and lots of caramel, but it doesn't go the burnt route that the Mitzvah caramel did. Just a teeny touch of green apple, and very little butterscotch, but that may have just melded with the caramel.

Lots of throw - enough to make people wonder where that luscious caramel smell's coming from. :P

This is a strong, buttery caramel scent. No apple to be found anywhere. It's very sweet and definitely smells edible, but it doesn't work well as a perfume, at least for me. It would probably make a good room scent, except I think it might make me too hungry!

Rating: 6/10

In the bottle:

Overwhelmingly buttery!

Initial Scent (on skin):

A continuation of the overwhelming buttery scent. No hint of apple or coconut rum. Kind of reminds me of the jellybelly buttered popcorn jellybeans... in a BAD way...

Staying Power:

Has AMAZING staying power... it's just too bad that i dont like the scent!

In the bottle: This actually reminds me of Sugar Cookie but with a hint of apple. I can definitely smell the butterscotch!!!

Wet: Oooooh Apple!!! Yum!!! Still getting the butterscotch but it smells lovely.

Dry down: Just like Sugar Cookie, this turns to plasic on me. I'm guessing that butterscotch and I don't get along. I can see this being gorgeous on some people, just not me. :P

Verdict: To the swap thread. I really wanted to love this scent too.

I was a little afeared of this, because I've had bad reactions to a couple of the apple scents. However, wet to dry, this smelled like a juicy red apple with a layer of caramel. There's just a hint of the coconut, but it doesn't overwhelm. Not my kind of scent, but it's very impressive. :P

Oooh.

In the bottle, hardcore in-your-face come-f*ck-me butterscotch candy. On me, wet, sharp, red apples.

Then on the drydown, the coconut rum comes out. Now I smell like a bar in Jamaica, and I love it!

A.

First applied this smells exactly like caramel apples right after the first bite. Why did I think I'd want to smell like this?

I applied the tiniest drop but it has somehow amplified and the caramel just keeps getting stronger and stronger.

Not for me.

i wasn't too sure about creepy at first, and since i dived right in for the 5ml my heart sank a bit when i smelled it from the bottle. i felt sure it wouldn't work with my body chemistry. wet on skin, still a bit iffy and wondering if it was the trade pile. but after a while the sharpness of it dies down in the dry, and the remaining caramelly apple goodness shines through. but it also has that tinge of halloween to it, definitely the perfect sweetly autumn scent.

a keeper! yay! :P

At first, this smelled of butter and apples. But as it dried, those scents quickly faded, and it turned into Red Lantern. Caramel, coconut, and booze. No apples anywhere in sight. Delicious and fun, but too sweet/foody for me to wear very often, so it’s off to swaps.

Hm. This is not the type of foody that I go for normally, but I'm willing to give it a try. (usually I prefer spice or vanilla or cake, but not caramel and such). Like everyone said, the drydown on this is more complex, there is a similarity to Red Lantern, although it's definitely not as heavy as that. This blend is more a fall novelty to me, and I don't see that I'd wear it enough during the rest of the year to keep it buuuut, I do want to see what happens when it ages, so I am going to let it stick around for a while and find out! (oh, and, I definitely will wear this on Halloween, it is so perfect for that!!)

I've been begging and hoping for a BPAL caramel apple scent for over a year now, so I did a little happy dance around my room when I saw the description for Creepy. Yes, I am someone who desperately wants to smell like caramel apples, lol.

In the bottle... tart apples smothered in warm butterscotch and just a hint of something that smells slightly boozy.

The apple in Punkie Night smelled artificially sweet and perfumey on me, but this smells like real apples. I like the apple in Creepy much more. It smells as apples should - tart, crisp, juicy.

Unfortunately, the other notes really muck this up for me. I so wish Beth had just done a straight caramel apple for Creepy and not tossed in the rum and butterscotch. The butterscotch completely overpowers the caramel for me, and I didn't want butterscotch apples. I hate the sharp boozy smack that the rum throws in as well.

On me this smells like a fantastic apple note smothered in sharp, boozy, bitter butterscotch. BPAL's caramel is so awesome and normally such a strong note, but I can't find it in Creepy.

:P

Edited by Tania

Wow.

Wet and in the bottle, I smell butterscotch chips, and think instantly of all the blondies I've made with them, or my delicious oatmeal butterscotch cookies. I really want cookies now.

Then the apple starts coming out - CARAMEL APPLES! Wowza. I have so little on and it's all very strong.

As it dries the apple hides in the background; I wish it were more prominent.

My husband could smell this upstairs, so I would say the throw is strong. :P

I really like it, although it might end up too foodie for me to wear. I'll keep it around at least from my home.

In the bottle: This has the same buttery, sugary note that I get in Cockaigne. Now, I'm aging Cockiagne with the hopes that in a few months I'll be able to wear it.

On wet: Oh, yum! Butter, rich caramel, and apples!!

Dry: A bit softer, but deliciously rich and sweet. It stays that way throughout, and is everything I hoped it would be. Perfect for a chilly day--I am officially in love (again)!

I thought this smelled exactly like a pecan caramel apple from the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory! A granny smith apple covered in caramel and rolled in pecans.

:P Yummy to eat, but it was too sweet for me to wear as a fragrance.

Got this as a decant from a circle.

In the imp: Really does smell like caramel apples!

Wet: This is the most amazing / accurate / best apple scent ever. EVER. Holy cow. It is pretty much exactly like biting into a juicy apple - perfectly done! Unfortunately for me, coconut can go kind of weird since my skin really amplifies it, so I don't care for that part hanging around the edges but the apple is AMAZING.

Dry: The apple, though amazing in the wet phase, is unfortunately also short-lived. Gah! So cruel, I wanted that to linger more than any other part of the scent! What's left behind is a rather nice caramel scent, and the coconut isn't too bad. But I resent that my skin won't keep the apple around :P

I'm torn about this one - I may have too hastily sold my decant without waiting to see if my skin chemistry over the course of a month would make it more wearable.. if that apple stuck around I'd buy quarts of this!

Right out of the bottle this is all butterscotch rum! It's very similar to the buttery/rummy scent of Sugar Cookie from last years Yule scents :D

Mmm now on my skin the apple jumps RIGHT out. This smells EXACTLY like a candy covered apple. Wow. This is incredible. I'm not smelling any coconut.

The final dry down smells exactly like those candy apple Jelly Belly jelly beans. Delicious! I really hope this one makes an appearance next year because this is just incredible :D

:P

Dark, creamy, rich, gooey caramel. :P As I put it on, the apples pop out, but they're still covered in caramel. And then...the coconut rum. I don't think I like coconut rum. Creepy is fantastic on me until the coconut rum shows up because for some reason, it knocks out the apple and turns sour, ruining the rest of the fabulous gooey scent. It's very strong, though, and lasted through three washings.

In the bottle: absolutely delicious & delightful caramel. Which probably means burnt plastic on me :D Creamy, and I can smell rum too. I want it to work!

On my skin: hello, burnt plastic *cries*

After a couple of hours: most of the burnt is gone, and now I have a lovely rum and apples scent (still a little creamy). But it's very faint and I have to endure 2 1/2 hours of migraine-inducing burnt first.

Verdict: why, oh why, isn't there one single foody scent working for me? :P

Caramel sugar cookies, initially, and then crisp fall apples (probably macs). I like it, but my husband doesn't. He tends not to like foody scents. It is true it smells just a bit burnt and chemical if you get very close, but I still think it's nice.

Oh yummy! This is a caramel covered apple at the fair, with some butterscotch sprinkled over the top. I get a bit of the booziness of the rum, but not really getting the coconut. I love this one and I'm definitely glad I have a bottle on the way - I may have to order another bottle, too!

Creepy

In the imp: sweet rum! This is even more boozy than Grog-this really is dark sweet rum!

Wet on skin: now I can smell caramel apples and smoke appearing in the rum…

Dry on skin: whoa. This smells like apple bobbing in a vat of rum instead of water. A sweet yet crisp and sharp apple covered in home-made brown sugar caramel with a hint of butter, with lots of rum (no coconut yet). I also get the scents of crisp autumn smoke, dry leaves and a hint of bonfire in here, and the cool 'windy' note that early reviews mention. I love that aspect of it-unexpected autumnal notes creeping into the boozy caramel apple scent.

After a while: the smoky aspect of the scent, like darkened sugar/syrup and chestnut smoke, increases over time. It reminds me of the likes of Gluttony and Cockaigne now, really caramelised and almost like treacle. It still smells of boozy apples (especially close to the skin) but with a hint of roasted chestnuts, maple syrup and autumnal wood-smoke. This smoky, nutty, dry and leafy scent gets stronger over time, and the apple note starts to morph into pumpkin, it seems.

The end scent is all sugary smoke and maple syrup and walnuts/chestnuts/pecans on me. It's really nutty! I really like this, but it's very similar to the drydown of Cockaigne or Drink Me, I don't smell as much apple now.

Verdict: this is the smell of an intoxicating autumn. At first it smells like boozy, dizzying rum splashed over sweet red apples covered in home made caramel made with brown sugar and butter and melted until brown and almost-but-not-quite burnt. But I also can make out a chilly autumn breeze (more of a fresh 'feeling' than a scent) and smoky autumn leaves burning in a distant bonfire. Out of the two Halloween apple scents (the other being Punkie Night), this is my favourite. The drydown is less about apples and rum and more about the caramel-a smoky caramel scent, like cooked brown sugar with maple syrup and, oddly, a nutty scent like pecans and walnuts and roasted chestnut smoke wafting in the air. I tend to get this 'caramelised nuts' scent with a lot of the sugary/caramel-themed foody scents. I'm not sure if I'll get a bottle because of this drydown which smell so similar to some other scents, but it may be worth it just for the rum-soaked toffee apples scent I get at the start, which smells so authentic and unique. I'll keep the decant though.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? Definitely keeping the decant. Might get a bottle, if finances allow.

If you like this, try: Samhain, Devil's Night, Verdandi, Grog, Sugar Skull, Hearth 05

Caramel usually doesn't work on me, turning into a really burnt burnt sugar. Red Lantern, Midway . . . Disappointments both. :P

Not so for Creepy. First a blast of coconut rum, like I've upended a bottle of Cruzan on my wrist. This lasts for only a few seconds, however, before it's replaced with pure, sweet caramel apples. Suddenly I'm a kid again, unwrapping Kraft caramels so that Mom can melt them, with a whole tray full of bright red apples ready and waiting.