Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shelldoo

Schwarzer Mond

The keeper of secrets: opoponax, Tunisian black amber, night musk, antique patchouli, zdravetz, terebinth, myrrh, and Pimenta racemosa.

In the bottle: Oppoponax. Cherry Cola. It makes my nose fizzle.

Wet: Ohhhh myyyyy gooooooooood. Black amber, oppoponax, and patchoulli to sweeten. Ohhhhhh dear. Ohhhh my.

Drydown: That patchoulli comes out and dries off the immediate herby slap to the face. The amber calms down a little, but rounds off the blend - making it warmer, almost golden. It's dark, and dry, and comforting. I can see the comparison made to Doc Buzzard, but for me, this blend leans a little heavier on the Voodoo side of the family. The more it wears, the more I get anise (of all things). Just a little hint of licorice in there to spice things up... I guess that's the Pimenta racemosa? Does that translate as a sort of pepper? Because it's got a bit of a nip to it. Wow. This is incredible.

4/5 on Medici's Scale o' Lurve

Oh my. I had absolutely no hope that this one would work on me at all. But I just couldn't resist a "Black Moon Rising" set, and am I ever glad I couldn't.

I also get the cola note that others have reported in the bottle, plus a hint of patchouli, but not patchouli that makes me think of unwashed hippies. This is suave and urbane patchouli that sidles up to you in a bar and buys you a drink before you even realize it.

On it is just yummy. The black amber is not nearly so scary as I had feared, it's smooth and warm. This oil reminds me a lot of Snake Charmer, as though they might be cousins. It's very much a unisex scent on me - not overly masculine at all.

The ultimate drydown is warm and almost like a rich, slightly sweet vanilla drizzled in amber, with just a hint of earthy patchouli to balance.

Bravo, Tedwin, bravo.

Schwarzer Mond - Initially, this smells of strong patchouli and bay rum and spices -- it reminds me strongly of Port Royal. After it has dried down, it gets a strong "men's cologne" scent, and I'm positive I'm not going to care for this at all. At around the 40 minute point, this smells more like Beeman's Clove Gum than anything else. The clove note isn't listed in the scent description, so I'm wondering if it's possibly the pimenta racemosa I'm smelling. Underneath that spicy clove note, I'm still smelling the scent of Port Royal, but more manly. It's a unique scent, but too masculine for my personal preference and I'll be finding a new home for it. The staying power is amazing -- I washed a ton of dishes after applying it, cleaned the sink, did laundry, took out the trash, washed my hands, and I can still smell it on the back of my hands as strong as it was before I went on my cleaning binge. The throw, however, is just about average on me.

Upon first sniff, Schwarzer Mond and I are best friends. It immediately reminds me of my beloved Capricorn, with its glossy, polished wood sweet earthy notes -- and Dance of Death, with its deep green tones and hint of spicy myrrh.

Glistening resins and sweet, glossy dark wood, sparkling and deep. The patchouli and myrrh do pair somewhat like they do in Dance of Death, but there is so much more going on in here. It softens considerably with a little wear, becoming more like dusty, earthy woods and resins and a blanket of deep dark evergreen.

I can't break it down any farther than that, it's just a perfect, slightly sweet, earthy, wood and resin dream with a longlasting powdery myrrh memory and it's an immediate favorite for me. Someone is brewing a dark green potion on a wooden table cluttered with bunches of herbs and branches from fragrant evergreens. Chunks of resins and powdery incense waits a spark to set it smoking.

I will have to hope that one bottle is enough to satisfy me, but this is a classic, perfect blend and my Top Ten LEs once again has to get a bump to make room for this one. Choosing ten is getting harder and harder.

I can smell that cola scent that's been mentioned before :D but it fades away within seconds after hitting my skin......

After that there's not much to say.......gorgeous amber/patchouli/resin goodness and I luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurve it!!

:P very, *very* well done Brian!! :D

In the bottle: I smell peppery patchouli with rich, resinous sweetness. It is a thick, luxurious, and slightly druggish scent.

Wet: Wow, the resins come out in force when I put it on, and I love resins! It is sweet, exotic, and definitely dark. It is rich beyond belief. The patchouli, though at the forefront in the bottle, is only subtly lending its voice to the mix.

Drying down: I feel that Schwarzer Mond is appropriate as keeper of secrets. I picture a robed figure quiet in a darkened room where the others are clamoring and showing their faces.

Dry: The musk comes out more now, but the resins are still center stage. What a complex, esoteric scent. This keeper of secrets holds the wisdom of the ages, of death and rebirth, and the powers that come with that knowledge. I ordered two bottles of this one, and I am so glad of it. It is dark, resinous, and sweet without smelling like a headshop. I would count myself lucky if I walked into an occult shop that smelled like this. :D

Later: My skin, as usual, has sweetened up the blend. It is still a deliciously dark and complex combination of resinous scents. It still gives me a feeling of restrained power. Love it! :P

What a beautiful scent. I'm not sure how much more i can add to what's already been said. It's a lovely scent, dark and moody. If you like amber you'll love this one. It's sort of like a spicy amber. It's got great throw.

I think what amazes me most about the black moon set is how lovely both oils are on their own and how lovely they are combined! i love putting Beth's blend on my left wrist, Brian's on my right and then I blend. It's gorgeous!

My first Lunacy scent! Wet, I can detect the bay rum, which makes it feel a bit masculine. Resinous. Sweet. Soft. Dark and mysterious. Like velvet. Actually, like heavy curtains hung in the doorway to a back room in a curiosity shop; beyond it is a room full of wooden boxes and trunks, with little space with a desk. The curtains dampen the sound of the floorboards creaking under your feet.

Wonderful; I keep sniffing my wrists. I wish I'd bought more than one bottle!

In the bottle, it's a very sexy, dark, masculine scent. The musk and amber seem to be the top notes. Mmmm... the naughty ideas and mental images this gives me! :P

On my skin it had a sort of sticky feel initially. That would be the resins. This is a very commanding and alluring scent. It's so sexy! It's soft but dominant. It's quiet but has a very definite presence. It makes me think of a very sexy and dominant man sitting in a shadowed corner of the room, waiting for me to follow his commands and tell him all of my darkest desires. Yeah, I told you that this made me think naughty thoughts.

I'm picking up a bit of a Snake Oil note in here. But just the barest idea of it. The patchouli in this blend is incredible. I like patchouli anyway but this is just stunning. It's dark and deep but not dirty. This scent is so warm and dark and mysterious. It's so incredibly sexy. I think I'll need to grab another bottle of it on the forum or Ebay. Because I know I'll wear this alot myself and I plan to slather Clint in it too. OMG yum!! Seriously, I can't say enough about this blend. Definitely has taken a spot among my favorites. I can't stop sniffing myself!! This is so incredibly sexy. I can't even begin to rave about it enough.

Bravo Brian!!!

I have a feeling my body chemistry is screwing me here, but all I get is straight up Coca-Cola. Nothing dark or resinous, which is what I was hoping for. It actually becomes a light scent on me. :P I'm going to give it another chance, and I'll change this review if it turns out any differently.

Schwarzer Mond was the blend that I had the most hope for out of the Black Moon set. Black Moon itself was way too 'feminine musk and floral' for me. But this one blends a lot of notes that I love with a lot of notes that I've never heard of before, so I'm excited :P

In the bottle, this smells like a wonderfully deep and richly sweet patchouli and coca cola. I love that cola smell. My all-time favorite blend, Voodoo, has this smell to it.

On me... I can't pick out any one note... this is like velvety, resinous woods, sweet patchouli, and a hint of something cola-ish. Definitely a dark scent, but with a sexy, hazy sweetness to it. It makes me think of walking into a dimly lit room that's smoky from patchouli incense and warm from burning candles.

This won't be a favorite blend for me, but I do like it.

Oh yum! I love spicy scents, and this is very spicy. The patchouli and amber are what predominate to me, but the patchouli doesn't completely take it over like patchouli usually does. I don't know what else I smell in there, but it's very rich and dark and I so need a bottle of this.

My girlfriend says it smells like baby powder to her. Poo on her.

Score: 5 out of 5

I am so so so so so glad I broke down and got this one too. I originally was just going to get Black Moon, but then thought, "aw what the hell, who can resist having a 'Black Moon Rising' set?" Besides, I figured I could always swap with someone if it turned out that patchouli was once again just not my thing.

Oh, how wrong I was. I smell like spicy Dr. Pepper! (granted I dislike the *taste* of Dr. Pepper, but I've always liked the smell. This works out well, because I doubt the Lab wanted us to drink Schwarzer Mond ...)

Since I can't kiss the Lab's Brian, I'll make due and kiss MY Brian, as a thank you.

Wow, first the awesomeness of Black Moon, and now it's incredible masculine counterpart. This is a knock you down sexy scent, very unique, complex, and intoxicating. I'm honestly not familiar with most of the notes, but the black amber is quite prominent. It lends a sweet, smooth feel to the whole thing. I can also detect the smokiness of the pathcouli. There is a beautiful, slightly spicy undertone to this blend, and that's what really makes it sooo sexy. I sniffed this bottle, grinned, and handed it straight to my husband. He loves it of course, and I love it on both of us. :P

Oh. My. God.

So wonderful. *gasp, flail*

Schwarzer Mond, to me, is kin to Shub-Niggurath. It's the dark ritual incenses beneath the offertory ginger that Shub has. Schwarzer Mond is smooth, dark, and infinitely fathomless.

Completely dark.

Schwarzer Mond is like an attractive, mysterious stranger who seduces you by speaking an incomprehensible foreign tongue you can only understand by listening to the tone of his voice and the movements of his body language.

I have no idea what many of the notes in this smell like on their own. But all together, even WITH patchouli, they make for a beautiful fragrance that deserves to be lauded with many superlatives.

Edited by Heavenlyrabbit

In bottle: pungent, like a Vicks Vaporub variant :P

On skin: black licorice, but not as anisey. I don't like anise or licorice notes, but this is not as harsh.

Half-hour later: nice resins and musk. If I had to compare to other BPALs (as I tend to do, heh) this is a masculine version of Mme. Moriarty, swarthier versus sweeter and creamier.

In conclusion: another nice unique LE, and I'm glad the masculine tones didn't scare me away. A keeper!

Schwarzer Mond is brown- a deep liquid smoky brown. It's the color of tobacco leaves or root beer. Wet this is very sharp and strong patchouli with an almost metallic bite mixed with herbs. When first on this is sharp, herbal and like unsweetened root beer. After about thirty minutes this softens into a rich, warm amber/myrrh/pathchouli blend. This is very comforting and mysterious at the same time. Luckily this has turned out not to be too masculine on me (although it would smell wonderful on men too I think). This is wonderfully complex and a perfect counterpoint to Black Moon. Like the classic opposites yin and yang, Black Moon is the feminine energy and Schwarzer Mond is the masculine energy. I am so glad I got this pair. I am also going to try wearing both of these together. Amazing job Brian :P I'd love to see more of his blends in the future.

In the bottle this is simply glorious. In fact, while being different, it also reminds me of Luperci. That sort of warm man smell thing going on.

On me it's terrible, and I am so sad and hating my skin right now. Something in it is doing what cedar does on my skin - turning into a sort of stale BO thing. Granted, my BF says it just smells "gentle" on me, but I smell it.

*sniffs more*

I don't know. I'm confused. Further away it doesn't smell like BO, just very structured and woody almost, with hints of spice. But I don't think it's working. I'll try it again, several times I'm sure, but I think for my spiced woods I'll go to Port Royal and P&T of the Carnaval. My skin is bad!

Now, Schwartzer Mond on the BF?

Simply glorious.

He fell in love first sniff at the bottle and pulled out his wallet and asked "how much?". It's his now!

And I get to semll it on him! :P

On him I smell lovely cloves and leather. The musk warms it up and there's a gentle sweetness to it. It's simply gorgeous on him, and I'm very glad I get to snuggle up to that.

So Schwartzer Mond broke my heart and mended it again all one one evening. Powerful, to be sure.

n.

This smells like Coke on me. Not bad, not great. I will put it in the BPAL Sock Drawer of Aging rather than write it off, though, as it may improve drastically given some time to mellow. For now, it's a 3 out of 5 on me- it smells good, but I'm not wild about smelling like soda pop.

Oh Mommy! This is amazing stuff. If Black Moon is a night in the tropical forest, than Schwarzer Moon is a night in the arid caravans of desert nomads. This opens with warm sexy amber and quickly becomes dry with tobacco and patchouli. I don't normally wear patchouli well, but when combined with woody resins and so much musk... it works wonders. This is a very musky oriental with some real leafyness from patchouli and tobacco. Vagulely powdery from the musk, and with an incredibly faint sweetness, this is a great unisex scent too. I love wearing it, but I'd definitely like to slather this on a *certain* other. I'm swept away. I don't normally rank, but for the record this is a 10 of 10 for me.

All hail the Black Moon Rising set, I'm damned glad I bought it!!!

In the bottle: Deep, dark, earthy, woodsy, a little bitter.

Wet: For a minute it's just the same as it was in the bottle, and then:

Drying: :P

Still drying, nose glued to wrist: Oh, dude. Okay, wow. Let's see. My skin is doing its thing and amping the resins, so I'm getting a lot of the Tunisian black amber (which I love) and a good amount of myrrh and opoponax (which I LOVE). I'm also getting a beautiful patchouli note that doesn't itch my nose like almost every patchouli ever, with the exception of the patchouli in Luperci, so I'm thinking this is the same patchouli as in Luperci. Either that or something about the thick, deep sweetness of this (and Luperci) smooths out patchouli and makes it good for me.

*long inhalation*

I get dark spicy woods, which I guess are the terebinth and pimenta racemosa, though I've never smelled either. I love spicy wood scents. These are heavy and masculine, but that's just fine by me. I also get thick, dark musk, and very faintly above it all a high, clear, sharply fresh note-- the zdravetz?

Dry: The amber amps to all tarnation on me, as usual, so I have the thick sweetness of that note dominating, with everything else slithering sinuously around and occasionally pushing to the fore before diving back into the pile of seething scent. (Snake imagery possibly inspired by the snake on the bottle label, but it's also just the impression I get. And I love snakes but never liked Snake Oil or Snake Charmer, so I'm thrilled to have a snaky scent that's working on me.) This is just blowing me away. I want to try it in a scent locket, too, to see what it's like dry without the amber ampage, but I'll wear this very happily. Ten out of ten.

Edited by Savannah

Because my chemistry sucks, it more or less cranks up the amber to the detriment of all the other notes. Unless I'm having scent memory delusions, this reminds me a lot of some of the Beth experimental blends that were floating around a year or so ago. Even though amber is one of my arch-nemeses, something about these dark amber blends is perversely intoxicating. 99% of the time they're the last thing I would want to smell like, but I might keep a little smidgeon for the 1% of the time when I find myself in an amber-craving pervert phase. :P

Bottle: both sweet and resiny. I'm guessing the bay rum is the sweet.

Wet: the terebinth - I do catch a hint of an evergreeny-turp sort of edge (similar to the one I get from frankincense) that must be this note. the opoponax is easier to pick out, as is the myrrh.

Dry: I can pick out the amber and patchouli, now, as well, but subtle opoponax has faded to the shadows. this is dark (well, duh), but not bitter, earthy without being earthy-dirty.

Later: masculine, but not Masculine (ie: I can pull it off), a little sharpness remains but warm and nuanced beneath. Sadly I only got one bottle of this, but it's on the save pile - it'll age wonderfully and will be a perfect dark masterpiece for the winter months.