Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shelldoo

Black Moon

Black Moon: Beth's Creation
The absence of light: motia attar, black orchid, mugwort, English pear, cucumber, blue lotus, jonquil, massoia, calamus and crystal musk.

in the bottle:fruity, spring floral

wet: the pear is very obvious, sweet and juicy. i am also getting quite a bit of lotus and jonquil. this is light, fresh, and very springy to me.

as it dries it becomes soft sweet, and very feminine. innocent. i get wafts of cucumber, and the pear seems to be the base note. it isn't very musky yet there is a crystaline quality to it that makes it very fragile smelling. most jasmines do not work, they go terribly awry, but although this has a jasmine note (motia attar) it remains wearable and doesn't go wonky. all in all if you like a soft floral w/ fruity background this is going to be a great scent for you

This blend is drop-dead beautiful. The jasmine note is prominent but soft and lush, not as bold or sassy as some of the other jasmines that Beth uses. The soft florals are anchored by a combination of woody notes, sweet musk and a hint of fruit - I don't get as much pear from it as Shelldoo does. The overall effect is of a chilly perfume, achieved without the mint or aquatic notes that I associate with "cold" scents.

I didn't get a lot of staying power on my first try, but that's not unusual for me when trying a floral blend that's fresh from the lab. I also didn't apply much the first time too - I've now slathered a bit more to see what will happen. Anyway, that's why I'm not really reviewing the drydown... my skin drank up that first dab from earlier today!

*gets stagefright*

Can't I just sit on top of the stacks and headbang?

OK,OK...

In the bottle: Floral and sweet

Wet: Hello, I'm JASMINE and I'm here to kick yer ass and drink all yer booze!

Oh dear gods....make it calm down, pretty please?

Drydown: Jasmine has gotten a good buzz and settled down in the backseat to make up words to Def Leppard songs (occasionally yelling SUGAR for no apparent reason). The pear sneaks out and proceeds to whisper sweet nothings, there is a definite perfume undertone to this oil.

It's a grown up scent, it says I've been around and I'm here for the long run.

Something to wear when you're meeting someone for the first time and want them to remember you. A love letter scented with this will be a treasured possesion.

In Bottle: Floral

On Skin: This is an extreme floral at first. The orchid is strong and regal and the motia attar gives a sweet jasmine note. The Blue lotus is sweet, but not overly sweet like regular lotus. I get a dark background note… maybe the massoia which is supposed to be earthy/barky. The mugwort is slightly herbal but nothing sharp, just a nice soft minty feel. The cucumber and pear are also very light, so to me this is not as close to Blue Moon as I was hoping. I wanted those two notes to just amp the hell up on my skin. The pear is more in the front than the cucumber, I can barely smell the cucumber but the pear does offer a sweet fruity note. The jonquil and calamus I’m not to familiar with other than Jonquil is a floral and Calamus is supposed to be a sweet aphrodisiac. The crystal musk is so very light, but ads a beautiful clear and soft note to the scent, not overly musky, but just soft and velvety. This scent fades very quickly on me. Wow, that’s sad. I must slather!! This scent is very well blended because after about 20 minutes, it’s hard to read each individual note, they just blend together in a beautiful feminine blur with a light blue tone. I see myself wearing this a lot, it has become one of my favorite Lunacies. Very light throw and super short wearlength.

:P

I am in love with Black Moon! I think this blend will prove to be very popular.

Wet: Very jasmine with light pear. Super strong!

Drying: Fades and blends smoother into a floral with a fruity base. I still get jasmine, but it is definitely in the background.

Fades within 20-30 minutes. I applied a second time and same fade time. I just applied a third time in the same place. It smells so good that I can't help reapplying!

When I first sniffed this, I immediately thought I had made a big mistake by getting only 1 bottle. It was a bright, fruity scent from the pear, and crisp from the cucumber. Only a little bit of floral. Now that it's drying it's becoming more floral -- but it still has the bright and crisp quality. This smells blue to me, and very few perfume oils smell blue.

I'm not usually a fan of florals, but with the pear and cucumber I like this more than most. Very well done!

I'm slathered in ritual oils today and smell quite funky, but as soon as these arrived I had to try them, and soon as I smelled them I had to review. So, I've got one in the crook of each elbow and I'll start with Beth's:

Whee...pear! Then a very delicate jasmine, which get a little stronger as it dries but still doesn't overpower (I don't usually have problems with jasmine though). I'm catching a hint of something wet and green and it reminds me of the lunar oils in some of the older Lunacy blends, but it might just be a combination of the lotus and musk. The musk is so subtle and pretty - in fact this whole blend is delicate but lush. It's very evocative of sitting on the dewy grass out under the evening sky, surrounded by a soft breeze of night blooming flowers. And pears. Lovely, lovely pears.

I knew getting three bottles of this would be a great idea. Beautiful, Beth!

In the bottle: Light floral, lily-like. I can smell the jonquil and the pear/cucumber the most...it smells very fresh and dewy.

Wet: Floral, and OH MY GOD, what is that?!? Oh no, it smells acrid and sour...yuck. Must not run screaming to the kitchen sink, must give it a chance. Must give it a chance...please don't let this scent stay this way! Please, please, please...

Dry: Ah, there we go. The sourness disappeared as it dried. The drydown is lovely...similar to Annabel Lee, as it's a light floral with summery vegetable, fruity goodness thrown in. And the jonquil smells absolutely lovely...it's the perfect floral...light, delicate, and not remotely overpowering. Mmmm!

Deep, dark and seductive. I want to say that it's a fruity floral, but it isn't exactly that. Everything is so well blended that it smells like a new and unique flower created by Beth. The musk is light and I catch hints of it every so often. Black Moon is so beautiful and lush and it has a bit of a tropical feel. I am so happy that I bought 2 bottles :P

In the bottle: whoa..hellllo jasmine/pear/lotus!

On the Skin: this has mellowed almostly instantly..jasmine..yup.lotus..still there..I'm pickin up a slight cucumberish/musky smell as well..hrmm!

Afterhours: This has softened to an airy/dusty dark floral..its really quite lovely but I'm not sure if I need a whole bottle of this. Definitely one of Beth's best blends to date, though! :P

In the bottle: Cool aquatic florals

Wet: The sweetness of the lotus blooms, tempered by the musk and cucumber.

Dry-down: The jonquil, orchid, and mugwort have come out. the effect is a rich, truly dark floral with no bitterness, mint, or earthiness. The cucumber is creating the most amazing effect of a cool, humid, moonless night; the color association is deep twilight green-tinged blue.

Mature: This has turned into a truly twilight scent. The cucumber keeps everything cool and damp, while the florals and musk blend into a glorious combination. I don’t get much from the pear, but the jonquil, mugwort, jasmine, and lotus are more than making up for it. Throw is light, but makes up for that in staying power (six hours and counting!)

The Bottom Line: If Tia Dalma wore perfume, this would be it. It is the absence of light, which does not always mean darkness. It is deep hued and dark, but by no means sinister. This is a feminine fragrance; the scent of a woman who knows her own mind and is confident of that knowledge, and strength without brittleness. I’m entranced.

I do like this one - it dried down to a fruity light floral on me. I can smell the pear and the cucumber, and I think this would be a great early summer scent. Which is amusing, since it's supposed to be the "absence of light", but it smells like nothing BUT light to me. Bizarre. Very light throw, but a lovely, comforting, confident scent to me.

Black Moon smells just like pale cool golden light to me, like moonlight in the darkness, and the kind of blue that moonlight makes when it's faint. It's incredibly evocative. I can smell some of the individual notes---like the pear, motia attar, and blue lotus. But that's only if I really concentrate on them. Wearing this is really just like wearing dusky, dimmed moonlight. :P

black moon has really been growing on me in the short time i've had it - at first it seemed a bit too coy and girlish - the fruity pear and the florals seemed so clean...but its complexity and mystery is beginning to unravel, and i see there's more to it than meets the first sniff. everyone keeps talking about "blue" smells, and perhaps it's power of suggestion, but i too get an almost pale aqua color, like moonlight on a lagoon. my tomboy/aggressive side was digging the power of schwartzer mond, but now i'm being seduced by black moon's feminine wiles - it's very dreamy and cool - the cucumber, lotus and orchid i'm pretty sure i'm smelling...all the florals blend into one thing - i keep picturing pale aqua chiffon blowing over a dusky lagoon..ahhhh

Wet: pear with stuff.

Drydown 20min: Pear with...muguet? White florals, in any case. Amazing throw.

Drydown 1hr: White florals that are medium high on me, thankfully. Very pretty spring-like scents, but it's early spring, when the crocuses and forsythia are blooming, yet it's not cold...lovely!

Drydown 3hrs: Almost gone! But that's okay, I'll just reapply...

Oro

In the Bottle: Florals and black pepper, a waft of fruits.

On: The 'decadent gardenia' aroma of orchid; the fruits continue to gently waft in and out. As it dries, the pepper rises. Yeah, there's no black pepper listed in the notes, but something sure is reminiscent of it! Wonderful balance, fairly strong throw, and lasts a nice long time.

Layering with Schwartzer Mond adds a whole new level of scentual assault. Actually, rather than true layering, I have one on one side and one on the other, so that the layering effect takes place in the throw, and changes subtly in the air. That was, of course, a by-product of testing both at once but I adore the effect and will do this again intentionally. Many times.

On me, it's sultry and sexy and very strong. I agree with the reviewer who said that this jasmine is subtler (or perhaps more well-blended) than the usual jasmines I see from BPAL. I'm getting rid of all my "lush floral" imps and relying on Black Moon for when I want to wow the room.

The Black Moon reminds me of reflection. It reminds seeing the moon and the stars not only up in the sky above, but rippling in the water below. It has me thinking of not just what I see, but how I see it. And there is a soft, cool breeze blowing that makes me feel calm, relaxed and awake.

My nose is still battling the cold, but here is what I could make out...

In the bottle: Pear and cucumber.

Wet: Lotus, cucumber and musk.

Dry: Orchid, lotus, cucumber, the pear returns and musk.

For me, in the bottle you really smell the pear and lotus. It is extremely fruity with only a touch of floral. (Exactly as how I had thought it would be)

However, when it's on it turns to a bit more of the floral, the musk and orchid are much more noticeable.

The one sad part is that it doesn't last that long on the skin. I think this may be the scent that goes into my locket. I'm a huge lotus fan.

BPALBlackMoon.jpg

Pear, Cucumber and Mugwort. It's like you're reading my mind or something Beth hehe.

In the bottle

Darkly Fruity, twangy but lushious.

On

The pear amplifies when I put it on.

30 minutes

The lotus comes out as it dries (meh) but other than that it smells the same as it did when wet.

Throw:

Yes

Scent category:

Fruity/Floral/Herbal

Summary

This is such a different fruity blend. I get reminiscent of Blue Moon because I smell two or three ingedients which Blue Moon had also. But this isn't crisp or cool, it's a warm blend. It's dark... absolutely devoid of any light. Wow, how does she do that?

It brings on a feeling as if one has entered the void. Black Moon is also very calming to me. The Mugwort is really powerful, not in scent but in it's working sense, holy cow. Great stuff. I do like Schwarzer Monds scent more though.

Purchase again?

Yes.

1-5 rating (5 being best)

In the bottle: overwhelmingly crisp pear

Wet: Pear, underscored by a light floral

Drydown: Orchid dominates, rapidly pushing the fruitiness of the blend into a strong floral. The pear takes the background and keeps the scent juicy and fresh, mouthwateringly so. I get a sly hint of green, with the barest edge of the musk. There's a little bit of a dry edge beneath all that wet floral. It is heady, it is lush. I wasn't expecting that t all. I'm a little sad that I'm not picking up the cucumber or mugwort, at least not directly, though there is a bit of a bite when I turn my arm away just a little. The throw is incredible, but I'm going to have to say this is a lot brighter than I'd expected, and a lot more bold. Not that that's a bad thing at all, it's definitely surpassed my expectations.

4/5 on Medici's Scale o' Lurve

I had expected something more aquatic and glassy in tone from this, with the cucumber and mysterious blue lotus -- this is a much more luxurious, heady, thick, sweet fruit floral than I had expected.

In fact, the pear blows me away at first -- it reminds me of the fruits that sparkle at the top of Hanging Gardens, which also contains pear (perhaps the same one?). Tropical, fruity blooms. If motia attar=jasmine sambac=pikake, then that would be what I smell. It's a lush, thick, sweet floral nectar -- not the sharp jasmine spike through the brain, but a soothing sweet jasmine tea with a succulent lotus leaf floating on top.

It's a bit floral for my taste in general, but the fruitiness and the staying power of that pale musk pull it together and I want to keep it around. It dries down beautifully as well. Although I don't always wear things in the jasmine family well, sometimes it just combines right with other elements and gives me a scent I used to catch in the air at night...an intoxicating, pale, honeyed jasmine that lulls me to sleep.

If I ever said that lotus and jasmine scents are dealbreakers for me, well, here's your evidence that I'm a hypocrite. Here's how to make them work, even on a floral-hating, earth/wood-lover like me. I don't know that I'll wear it a lot, but I think it will be a great nighttime blend and it definitely will suit me just fine when I'm in the mood for this kind of thing!

Mostly pear and cucumber on my skin.....this is a lot less floral than I thought, which is fine by me, because I'm not a floral kind of girl :P

It has a floral background to it, but not in a WHOA FLOWERS!! way. It's just really fresh and crisp.

I don't know if I'll reach for it much, but I'll keep it anyway because I want to keep the set together.....as I love how the two interpretations are so very different from each other.

eta: After wearing her again I know we can never be true friends, so off to a more loving home she'll go......

Edited by gaai

Black Moon is so beautiful - a special oil for a special Lunacy. It morphs so quickly and completely on my skin, going from one phase to another just like the real moon.

In the bottle: tart and fruity. I really smell the pear, cucumber, and I think, the jonquil. I'm ashamed to admit that rather than conjure up the absence of light, in the bottle for me this scent embodies it. Yum. It's perfect for this warm weather.

On my skin: the fruit quickly recedes and the florals amp up, and there's something - the musk? the attar? - that is slightly chill and shadowy. It's incredibly light and feminine in the way I've come to expect from many of Beth's creations.

The drydown is amazing. It's all gone to spice and faint musk now, incensy and gorgeous.

Unfortunately, it's gone on my skin in a couple of hours. :D I wonder if this is because it's brand new? Many of the oils I have with strong throw are several years old. I bet if Black Moon is stored it will last longer and have a stronger throw without lots of slathering... not that I mind slathering! :D

I really, REALLY wish I'd ordered two bottles of this - one to wear and enjoy now, and one to age. :D I'm learning, though.

EDIT: I love this more every time I wear it. Thank goodness I found another bottle! And as others have said, wearing this layered w/Schwarzer is absolutely heavenly. :P

Edited by Mattie

In the bottle and first on me... this smells like a watery, sad floral and reminds me of the impression that I get from a lot of the floral Funereal Oils (which I hate). Somber and cold. I can smell a sickly sweet pear note and florals. It's not a happy sweetness, it's sort of a bruised and sickly sweetness to me, like flowers that are rotting.

In the drydown... this turns into a bland perfumey-sharp musk and sickly sweet floral on me. I can't pick out any one note, as it turns into that cliche department store floral scent. Black Moon gives me a vicious headache after a short while, it's just way too sweet floral and musk. :P

This will be one for swapping.