Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
eviltemptressdq

Mag Mell

The Plane of Joy, eternal reward for a lifetime of valor and glory. A place of eternal youth and beauty, strength and honor, music and revelry. The warmth of amber, the puissance of white ginger and the clarity of verbena, with fresh green grass, lush sage and cleansing droplets of summer rain.

I looked around, and didn't see this one up yet... which is scary! This is my first time starting a review thread, so be gentle :D

Ok, I got Mag Mell on a whim from someone that listed it on Ebay... I had had it on my wishlist since the update, but hadn't ordered it yet. And I am SO glad I did!!

This is a very bright "golden" scent. It really is very very close to Litha (which I love), but Litha has something in it that is a little... off? or sour sometimes? And Mag Mell is Litha MINUS that! Which means it is perfect!

On me, I smell the amber with something sweet... again, "golden" is really how I kept thinking of this.

So, basically, if you loved Litha (or liked it, but it was a little too strong for you), Mag Mell will be your new favorite! I know it is mine (for now, anyway! hehe) :P

I've been looking forward to getting this one.

In bottle: I smell mostly the verbena, and grass. Where's the ginger? I don't really smell the ginger, nor the amber.

Wet: Ah! There's the ginger. Ginger likes my skin so it always seems to pop right out. I still get the verbena and the grassy undertone, but no sage, really, that I can tell, which is good, as I'm not a big fan of sage.

Dry: Mmm ... the amber's finally coming through. That always shows up late on me. Definitely has that "golden" sort of thing going.

This is a great springy-summery scent, so the timing is a bit off for the year. I probably won't wear this one too often until after Imbolc, when I'm in the midst of winter doldrums and want so desperately to look towards spring. Still, I'm so glad I got it now. It makes me smile when I smell it.

Mag Mell is a strange blend on me because it smells very fruity, but there's no fruit listed. I can smell the verbena and a smidge of the ginger, and a bit of sage, and then there's that phantom fruity note I can't place.

There's also something vaguely tropical about Mag Mell that I enjoy. It smells like a day spent romping around on an island. And it does have a golden feel to it, as mentioned above. This would be a great late spring blend, as it feels like a celebration of the kinds of things that return at that time, like lush grass, sunshine, and warm rain.

I'll definitely put away the imp for next spring, when I think this will really hit the spot.

Mag Mell is definitely a rich, fresh green scent to me.

It starts out with the verbena and I get that "lemony-lime" citrus thing going. As it dries down, it is joined with ginger and the grass (and maybe sage) comes in to take it deeper...along with the amber, which is very tame yet very present.

Again, it is a very fresh and alive scent to me, somehow. It makes me think of golden sunshine playing on fresh grass...newly uncovered of snow. A spring scent, if I ever smelled one. :P

Super fantastic scent, no? I adore it and my skin simply eats it up!

The wonderful amber carries the notes from the wet stage, when the green notes are the greenest, and the lemon is just as sweet as it can be. The ginger is short lived as are the droplets of summer rain, which is fine by me. A bottle of this lovely blend is needed. I get a little version of Brisingamen here, my signature sexy scent. Not as LOUD as Brisingamen is, less mature somehow.

Great job Beth. :P

ETA something that I really enjoyed. The last note I smell before it exits my skin is that grass. I get a grass that is just watered, rich and thick with loam. I am curious to see how this ages.

Edited by SoapyRN

Mag Mell is best for me when it has been dry awhile: sugar-dusted lemon with subtle hints of ginger. At first, the verbena is very pronounced, with a rooty sage undertone and a little grass. It's amazing how the notes eventually harmonize to a delightful scent that sticks close to the skin and could definitely be a staple.

Hmmm. Lemony ginger, kind of herby. This is a little too herby and tangy for me. I have to be careful with a citrus and ginger combination because it tends to smell sour on me. The sage is just making it smell... well, dirty. 'Fraid this one's not gonna work for me.

When I first smelled Mag Mell, my brain immediately went- "Wow, this is the lemon smell of my dreams."

On me, the lemon is still strong but I can smell some of the other components, they go together in a very nice mixture on my skin. Definite winner for me.

In Bottle: Sweet verbena and herbs

On Skin: I get a very yellow green feel from this scent. This is so pretty! Verbena usually goes all lemon on me, but here it sweetens up even more and is like candy. The ginger is also less aggressive than normal and gives a soft spice. The grass and sage give the green notes, bright and alive. I wore Carnaval Diabolique yesterday and it reminds of that ever so slightly. This is a little more alive and vibrant where as Carnaval is sweeter and much more candylike. The rain gives a very distant echo of ozone that adds to the freshness, but doesn’t make it an “ozone” blend exactly. The amber adds to the sweetness with a velvet resin that helps balance the normal sharpness of some of the other notes. Very pretty. Light throw and short to average wearlength.

Wet: lemons dredged in sugar.

Warm on my skin, the ginger and sage come out in the most wonderful, almost masculine way. In fact, a boy could totally pull this off.

It was a little faint this time around, but I'll try wearing it after applying some lotion...hopefully that will keep it around a little longer. This drydown is not to be missed!!!

This is what I wanted Et Lux Fuit to smell like on me!

Mag Mell is a verry sunny and golden scent. The verbena stands out the most, with the ginger backing it up- it's beautiful!

Mag Mell - Oh wow, I had no idea this would be so fresh and bright and pretty! The verbena is the strongest note on me, but I also smell the ginger, sage, and grass weaving in and out behind the verbena. I cannot distinctly detect the amber, but this scent has a warmth to it that I believe is the amber. This is such a springtime scent -- I would put it in the exact same category as Beltane 2005, except as Beltane 2005 is all springtime sun and flowers, this is all springtime sun and non-floral plants. It's lovely, lovely, lovely, and I'm so excited to wear this on a bright, sunny day...or a crummy winter day when I need a little bright happiness in my life. Great scent. Average throw and average staying power.

I thought I'd love this one, but alas, it was not to be. The verbena just drowns out all the other notes on my skin, then fades to absolutely nothing. No ginger, no amber, nada. :P Off to a better home!

w00t! Green grass! :P

Well, green grass and a whole lotta verbena. That's okay, it works very nicely. This is the spring green scent I've been craving since forever. I never get any ginger from this, and just a hint of amber emerges on the drydown, which is nice--gives it some depth.

I will be needing a bottle of this cute puppy.

In the bottle this smells sweet to me with a sort of creamy tone. Maybe that's the amber. I think the sweetness is the ginger. On my skin it's a very sweet, clean scent. It smells a little like the tea blends do on me and I was surprised to see that there is no tea listed in the notes. The verbena is the the most dominant note on me making this a "sparkling" scent. The ginger and rain are very easy to pick out as well and the sage comes and goes. I really don't get alot of the amber or the grass. I think the amber just smoothes this all out and keeps it crisp without it being sharp. I really like this alot. I see alot of people say it's a golden scent to them, but to me it's a clear "sparkly" scent...

Mag Mell

In the imp: sweet lemon with herbs and a little bit of amber.

Wet on skin: lemon verbena is strong here…but the amber is sweetening it.

Dry on skin: VERBENA! this is lovely, but surprisingly intense-one sniff and I could almost taste it at the back of my throat! Whoa, strong stuff. It's very refreshing and awakening. It's intensely lemon-herbal, with tart verbena with a mix of grass and sage for greenness, and also a spike of spicy ginger (when I saw 'white ginger' in the notes, I expected the Hawaiian floral variety, but this is definitely spicy ginger root) which plays well with the verbena. But underneath it all, a gorgeous amber note sweetens the sharp notes, and attempts to temper the blend. It's good so far but will the verbena play well or turn soapy/oily on me over time?

After a while: eventually the verbena tones down and thankfully doesn't turn bad on me. what does happen though is that a soft, fresh, ozone-floral scent comes out, a clean scent which isn't too soapy but smells moist and cool…it's the rain note! It's lovely in here, not 'detergent' or 'dryer sheet' or 'evil ozone', and it mixes with the amber and grass so nicely!

After about an hour and a half, I'm amazed at how much this scent has smoothed out. No longer the piercing herbal lemon scent, this now has become a delightful floral amber. The rain note here is one of those ozone-aquatic notes that really works, and it reminds me of the lovely clean, bright floral scent I got from Dirty, but with the sweet roundness of amber improving it. I never expected amber and fresh rain to work so nicely together. It's also very warm, probably thanks to the ginger. I definitely agree with whoever made the comparison with Litha, but I am also reminded of Mantis.

Verdict: at first, this is an explosion of lemon verbena that almost knocks me off my feet, it's so strong! An invigorating and sunny scent, chock full of verbena, a base of green herbs/grass and ginger, but rounded off with a delicious amber note. The colours this scent evokes are bright yellow and green. But then the rain moves in and cools things down, smoothes things out…in other words, the rain note- which on my skin is a soft ozoney fresh floral-calms the feisty verbena note down and the sunny amber note works beautifully with it. The drydown is like Dirty with wonderful rich amber, but there's something to this reminiscent of Mantis (herbal amber with a smooth drydown), but with less musk, and also a slight reminiscence to Litha. I think I will need to get a bottle of this for spring…after the overwhelming verbena, the drydown is really worth waiting for.

Emoticon rating: :P

If you like this, try: Mantis, Litha

Edited by yeahbutnobut

This one goes on all bright citrus. Lemon, I suppose that would be the verbena.

It burns off quickly. I had wondered if verbena would stick around longer than actual citrus, but not so this time, anyway.

It soon smells just like perfume pages on my skin, and

that's just far too pretty for me.

I already have this one lined up to swap.

In the bottle and on my skin at first, Mag Mell smells clean and spa-like. It's reminiscent of blends like Shanghai and Embalming Fluid, with the mix of lemony and green notes.

This starts off mostly smooth, sweet, slightly herbal, lemony verbena with a hint of green from the green grass and a spa-like freshness from the ginger. I was worried about the "rain" going soapy on me, as aquatics usually do, but this is more clean feeling than outright soapy smelling.

As it dries down, this is much the same, except the ginger gets stronger (delicate, fresh, sweet spiciness <3). Sweet lemon and fresh ginger with a hint of green. It smells like a spa fragrance. Not really my sort of thing, but this is very pretty, smooth, and calming.

Edited by Little Bird

I really am very fond of Mag Mell, but the husband doesn't love it as much.

In the imp it smells herby to me, just green and lovely. When I applied it, it was still green but there was a definite citrusy note. Now that it's been on for a while I'm getting more of the ginger (and I love ginger). This is a keeper for me, I'll just wear it to work instead of for romance :P

in the imp: - Fresh and lemony, like sour lemon drops covered in sugar. There's something deeper and richer about it though, than just a purely citrus scent.

wet: - Nose-tingling and bright lemon verbena. Really nice! The white ginger is coming out more and more. I don't smell any amber at this point, but amber usually doesn't appear on me until I've worn a scent for a while.

dry: - This becomes a really fresh and harmonious scent, with a herbally undertone. All the notes combine nicely into a blend that reminds me very much of late spring, when the sun is bright and getting almost-but-not-quite hot, and everything is green and leafy and lovely. The amber never dominates or even makes a strong appearance on me. I only smell it as a slight warmth as Mag Mell fades away.

overall:

I adore this one! Very bright, very fresh, and just gorgeous.

I got an imp of this... nervously, since I loved most of the notes, but verbena is amped by my skin something awful, and sage and I only sometimes get along.

Well, the verbena is a bit strong on me, but after a few minutes, it calms down to a bearable level, and the other notes come out to play. The combination of amber and ginger, especially, is just beautiful.

This is going to be a gorgeous summer scent.

it's all verbena in the imp.

wet, faint verbena. with a hint of ginger. This ones a bit to airy for me. It smells like a soap i like, but i don't want to smell like verbena all the time.

On my skin, this is a bright, cheery herbal ginger grass rain smell. The amber's under there somewhere, but mostly it's just happy and wet. The verbena is miraculously not taking over and is a tangy herbal smell rather than violently citrus as it sometimes goes on me. It's the smell of a light spring mist over clean grass...there's no weird floral grapefruit like is in so many "aquatic" bpals to my nose. It just smells bright and happy and cool-rainy. Unfortunately it still goes a bit sour after a while. I'm contemplating using this in a bath...it's the perfect sort of detox-smell, like having your brain gently washed out after a trying day. But I need to figure out if it would be weird having such a cool-rain scent in my normally close to scalding bath. I want to dive into a cool pool of rainwater gently scented with this.