Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
misspissed

Ultraviolet

Electrifying, mechanized and chilly -- the scent of crushed blooms strewn on cold metal. Lush violet and neroli spiked hard with eucalyptus and a sliver of mint.

This took the mint that I love and added the violet I was sure of. Making a dramatic cool minty and floral blend. I love mint scents in the winter, but this one is definitely a spring and summer scent. :P Now, I can wear my mint all year long.

In the bottle: Finally got my hands on an imp of this. I've been meaning to try it and then forgetting to order it for months now. Ummm...it's weird. I can pick out both the eucalyptus and the mint. and, yes, it does smell like metal but not so much flowers. It's not the fresh kind of mint either as much as it is breathmint mint.

Wet: Breathmint. With a little eucalyptus in the background. This smells kinda powdery and metallic bright.

Dry down: Um...still the mint with a little ecalyptus but there's something powdery and odd in the background here. It might be the violets as I'm not positive that I get along with them. It still reminds me of Andes mints in the tin with all the powder around them. Very much mint, powder and metal here.

Dry: Still there little violet or neroli, which I'm not even sure what that is. But that powdery mint/metal smells remains. It has a very fresh, clearing your head out of cobwebs kind of scent to it. I doubt that I'll buy a whole bottle of this ever but I'll keep the imp around as the clear, bright mint/metal smell if fairly refreshing. There's the faintest touch of floral in the background but it never really comes out enough to be noticed.

In the bottle and on my skin, until it starts to dry-down, all I get from this is mint. I like mint, so that wasn't a bad thing, but I was a little letdown, since I was hoping for more.

Then it started to dry and I got more. As the mint stopped overwhelming everything, I started to get the neroli and the violet and, oddly last, the eucalyptus.

The mint didn't go away completely, so it keeps this nice and cool and tingly on me. It's a definite mood-booster for me and the first day I wore this, I was in the best mood that I'd been in all winter. The second time was the day I took certification tests and it kept me focused and awake for the whole time.

The only problem I have with this one is that it fades more quickly than I'd like it to, at least from my skin. The second time I wore it, I put it on my wrists and my hair and the scent lingered on my hair until my next shower (which led to some interesting scent combinations the next day).

It's very light and cheerful and is a definite on my big-bottle list. :P

Now to add more minty scents to my possession ... :D

This I got as a freebie with my first order. I just sniffed it. I knew it wouldnt work on me right away because of the mint. The mint was way overpowering with this one. Very sharp and strinking. I think it even smells thru the vial. I wish I could tolerate because I bet I am missing out on many great scents because of my fear of mint.

I remember loving to put my mouth on cold metal as a child. Standing outside on a clear fall day grossing my mother out as I mouthed the metal handrail. I must have been 2 or three, but this is what that cold metal taste would smell like! It is indeed a cold smell, but not emotionally cold. It has two of my favorite smells in it, eucalyptus and violet, so it was a hit from the first thought of it for me!

Edited by mmcfa2

In Bottle: VIOLET!

On Skin: This screams purple… violet to be exact. But the mint and eucalyptus make it have a sharp medicinal scent I dislike immensely. This is very stong and seems to hate my body chemistry. I have to wash it off, it is much too pungent. Sad… since purple is my favorite color.

Mint and Eucalyptus gave this a real zing but the violet and neroli never came out on me. This was bright and vibrant, clean and invigorating and fresh. Sadly it lasted all of four seconds on my skin and quite literally one hour later I can't smell it at all. Good for a quick pick me up but otherwise I don't anticipate this one working on me. :P

Wow, this is...different.

Imp: Er...smells like minted lavendar, but I'll give it a try anyway.

Wet : ew! It's metallic! No, it's, it's, it's recycled air! Yes, that's exactly the smell of a Greyhound bus after the doors have closed! Or a fresh airplane! I want to smell like this!?

Drydown: Well this is better, it's less eucalyptas-y and more violet-y...might be able to wear this after all.

Overall: Okay, I've only been wearing this for about 15 minutes, but I think I quite like this. It reminds me of laundry that's been drying in the sun and wind, that initial sniff when you gather it in your arms. It is at first a very chilly scent, and while it never warms up, it goes from chilly to fresh, in a lovely morning kind of way. Maybe it's the caffeine of BPAL?

Oro, who's not sure if she'll buy a bottle, but she's definitely keeping the imp

In the Bottle: i can smell the mint and the violet.

On Skin: definitely smell the violet, the mint isn't as prominent but there is a certain 'fresh' smell to the violets.

On Drydown: still smelling of violets. i can smell the slightest bit of neroli at the end.

Verdict: i can't smell this after the first fifteen minutes BUT i occasionally catch wiffs of it. i really enjoy the smell of violets and its quickly becoming one of my favorite smells.

definitely considering ordering a larger bottle.

ETA: 2/4/2008

Ah, how smell changes. I don't actually enjoy the smell of violets, or perhaps I do... in theory but not in this blend. I definitely smelled more of the menthol in this imp, and the violets are now a powdery kind of floral, slightly uplifted by the vanishing mint. Changes in skin chemistry? Probably. Sad that this doesn't work on me, since I did seem to like it so at the beginning.

Edited by zankoku_zen

Bright mint over violet. I expected the mint to fade in a few minutes leaving mostly violet. Oddly, after a few minutes, the violet seems to have faded a bit, but still a strong mint.

30min later: most of the mint is gone and a rich violet is left. Very nifty.

An hour later: Still violet, just a bit softer. Close to a soft single note violet.

First sniff: I like the vial-scent quite a bit. Crisp white mint that almost smothers the powdery floral base.

Wearing: Minty minty minty aura – the ultra violets take over when I sniff my wrist. (Also, you don’t want to wipe this stuff in your eye by accident… ow.)

Ultraviolet

In the imp: cold, minty violet. With a hint of eucalyptus.

Wet on skin: it's funny, all eucalyptus containing oils feel cooling against my skin-or is that the mint? Yup, it's minty and violety with hints of neroli and eucalyptus.

Dry on skin: cold violet, and mint. It's a cool, icy scent…I swear there's a smoky note in this. I'm sure the neroli's coming through too. It doesn't smell too metallic yet.

After a while: there's something green coming through…could this be eucalyptus or fresh mint or even the violet itself? I'm not sure, but the green note adds a nice twist to the mint-violet combination (and yet it still smells purple!) I can also smell the neroli more, I'm pretty sure that's giving it a smoky or tea like note, as sometimes neroli smells a bit like tea on me…it's fascinating.

Verdict: this is the scent of frozen violets. The mint adds a chill to the light violet scent, eucalyptus cools it even more, neroli adds depth. It's unusual, yet quite lovely, so cooling…the mint makes this smell cold and fresh, this would be fantastic for summer. Another scientifically inspired blend which I like.

Violet with mint? hmmmm... That's what I thought when I first got an imp of this. But I love how the astringent mint/eucalpyus scents unfold into violet leaf. It's a lovely greeny floral, very fresh.

Edited by mmontgomery

Another gift imp -- thank you!

In the bottle: profoundly violet; to my amazement, it actually dominates the mint, which I didn't think a floral would do.

Wet: ... ah. There's the mint. It's battling the eucalyptus for supremacy, but so far it's the stronger of the pair. And by 'stronger', I mean almost overpoweringly so. I get a tiny hint of the 'metallic' scent that others have mentioned, but not as much as I'd hoped for. The scent is almost shockingly cold.

Drydown: A little bit more of the metal to it now, and a good deal more eucalyptus -- which has gone straight to my throat, unfortunately. I've put off washing it away for as long as I could (it doesn't like my throat), but I'm glad that I did, because just as the scent's beginning to fade, the violet reappears, gentle and warm and with a hint of sugar-sweetness.

Another very complex scent, and while it might be something I'd burn to fragrance a room, it's not one that I could wear.

In bottle: Very sharp mint and eucalyptus. I don't like the way these notes blend together; something about the combination of violet and eucalyptus chilled by mint reminds me of cheap fishsticks.

On me: On the skin the violet becomes much stronger, and this becomes a metallic and chilly scent. It's violet with a bit of a bite to it, and eucalyptus witha bit of dust. It actually makes me think of the violet mints some specialty food stores carry. Not bad at all.

This is sharp and interesting. Nose-to-wrist, I can smell the violets and mint, but for the most part the throw is eucalyptus. It is definitely a "cold" scent, a bright purple green. Unique and interesting.

This smells just like peppermint candy on me, buttermints, me thinks.

The violet makes this super sweet and the mint just illuminates it. As it dries, the sweetness dies down, but the mint is still piercing, which might be eucalyptus. This is the first minty blend that has not turned into cat pee or something strange. Once dry, I smell mostly of violet with faint mint.

It seems to be very cooling and would be nice for hot days. I’m just not crazy over this and probably wouldn’t wear it.

Although I love violets, this one is just too harsh for me. The mint was a bit too sharp for me to wear it daily, however, I think it would be just great for aromatherapy. When I tested it, I felt like I had more energy, which was really nice because I needed it at the time. Don't think I'd buy a bottle of it, but it's nice having the imp to sniff when I need to wake up! :P

Cool, sharp, and strong. It works while still wet, and I like it just as well as drying and after it's dried. This will *definitely* be in my first order of full-sized bottles!

I definitely get eucalyptus, mint, and violet. Remember Chowards violet scented pastilles? or perhaps the scented gum? That's exactly what I get from this.

The mint and eucalyptus don't last very long on me, but whoo-boy the violet is quite strong. I wish they were more balanced, because I was hoping I'd like this as a nice spring/summer picnic or movie in the park type scent. Light and young.

Definitely worth a shot if you like florals, particularly violet. I imagine this would make lovely linen water for someone with a victorian themed home as well.

Now violet scented sweet mint iced tea... that is something I might be able to get behind. Oh, right, don't drink the perfume oils... right...

Light minty violet. I like it when it first goes on, and for the first half hour or so, but then it turns into bably shampoo?

I have tried a couple of times, and each time it does the same thing. I'm not sure what is causing it, but... :P

Bottle (Imp): Hmm, an almost minty floral scent.

Just On: I'm getting more mintyness, and a very faint hint of flowers.

An hour or two later: Faint flowers, but not much. Nice flowers.

Around 6 hours: Powdery flowers, quite faint.

12 hours: A bare tiny hint of powdery flowers.

Overall: This is gorgeous.

After reading other reviews: It lasted pretty well on me, compared to other reviewers. I think this is a big bottle scent, as it works quite well on me.

My Impresion: herbaly eucalyptus with mint....still seeking the violet. :P

This would make a lovely room scent but alas it is not for me. I guess my expectations were a bit high on this one somehow I expected purpel to be screaming from the bottle...Sorry but I pass on this one.

High-pitched, shrill mint and powdery violet. Chilly, metallic, and...yeah...

This is what the Technocrats wear in Mage: The Ascension :P

Oh, I love love love this! Admittedly, I am a violet nut, and this is just so perfect. It is icy violets that have been frozen and are starting to thaw. The eucalyptus is in perfect balance, the mint pops out and when it starts the drydown, I get a faint neroli. The entire time, the violet is still predominant and warming up ever so slightly. I can't say enough how I love this. It may be my favorite scent of the 50 or so BPAL scents I have tried. Beautifully and amazingly thought out all the way through. Bravo!