Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zillah37

Carnaval Diabolique

Straight from the twisted alleys of Dis, by way of the City of Angels: opium smoke, lemon flower, heliotrope, tuberose, black musk, vanilla, coconut, apricot flower.

In the bottle: Coconut and lemon flower hit me first. It smells very soft and invigorating. It's beautiful and makes me think of lemon candies. Behind the softness is a hint of opium smoke, giving it a very ominous feeling.

On my skin: I applied just a dab to my wrist since lemon and I tend to not get along. I've found that applying very lightly can downplay the lemon. I didn't want to overpower everything else. It starts off being lemon, but it fades fast to a smoky musk with a hint of vanilla and apricot. There's just a hint of the lemon now and it's just beautiful. Soft and subtle.

Final verdict: This is beautiful. I'm not entirely sure it's a scent for me because it's a bit too citrus on me. It's great for someone who is looking for a soft citrus scent that's creamy and smoky at the same time. It has a very light throw, but keep in mind I didn't apply much at all so the throw might be stronger with more oil.

In the bottle: verbena!

Wet: lemon verbena

Dry: This scent really morphed as I was wearing it. At first it was straight-up lemon verbena. Over time the musk and opium smoke notes came out. I think this scent would be wonderful on a man.

In the bottle: Lemony! Kind of astringent.

On my skin: Mostly the same, but I smell the opium smoke now. It's just a supporting note. Mostly it's all lemony lemon lemon, but a dark lemon rather than an innocent candy-like one. It gets a little creamier and more smooth as it sits. It isn't bad, just nothing I'd want more than an imp of.

Sadly, this isn't much of a morpher. I had high hopes for it, too :P where's the vanilla and coconut? Black musk and heliotrope?

Edited by luxuria

In the bottle: Lemon, lemon, lemon. I try not to look at the notes when I am first smelling, so I thought "Oh dear GOD don't let this citrus be like Jolly Roger's citrus! I love citrus, but not when it turns to B.O. after a few minutes on my skin!" It smelled good though, like a lemon floral, a more complex version of Enraged Bunny.

Wet: Lemon, lemon, floral...mmm.

Dry: Coconut! Coconut, with a hint of lemon. Very tropical. I'm in love! :P

In the bottle, this is absolutely incredible. There's lemon in it (not lemon flower...just lemon), but it's wrapped and tangled up with an incensy sort of alltogether that's marvelous.

Wet, however (like almost everyone else), all that goodness gets stomped under the hobnailed boot of the OMGLEMON.

HOWEVER, in fairly short order, things settle back out again, leaving a distinct coconut-incense main note with just enough lemon there to remind you of its presence in the background. While I really don't like the lemon stage at all, the majority of it is very much teh_win, I think. I wish it lasted a bit longer...but then again, my nose might just be tired.

In the bottle: Very strongly lemon with just a hint of coconut.

On, wet: Yeah, I'd agree with OMGLEMON.

On, dry: While I do like lemon, it can be a bit overwhelming, so I was very glad when the lemon subsided (actually, went away almost entirely) after about a half hour. It dried down to this rich, smoky wonderfulness. (My mom said spicy, but I don't get a lot of "spice", which I normally think of as cinnamony or red musky.) I think this is mostly the opium smoke and vanilla (but not vanilla in a cakey way, or in an Antique Lace way), with a touch of the black musk on me. There's just a tiiiiiny bit of sweetness that I'm guessing is the coconut, but it doesn't do that suntan lotion thing on me, thank god. (I have coconut issues.) I also get just a hint of the flowers way in the background, like I'm standing in the middle of the dusty Carnaval, but there are flowers nearby with the scent being carried on the breeze.

Overall: WINNAR. I am in love with this.

Edited by CLFilm

In the bottle: bright lemony-citrus.

Wet: Lemony goodness. Something softer is starting to emerge, but for the most part it's sweet & sharp lemon.

Drydown: The lemon is persisting, but a bit of a coconut note is starting to emerge. It starts to become more creamy & soft, but it does take a while to get to this stage. Maybe an hour or so after initial application, I'm finally starting to get anything I'd deem "smokey," but it's rather faint. Not too much change. I'm rather surprised there isn't more black musk; it is usually very stong on me.

I do like this, but I want more of the other notes to take charge. I think this is one to let age for a bit to let the basenotes develop a bit more.

In the bottle: LEMON, with a bit of rose and the opium, I guess - I'm not really familiar with that note but it's a dark, smoky, spicy smell.

On: More of the same. Smoky, musky lemon. I normally love lemon, but the smokiness here is sort of taking away what I love about lemon. It's a nice, complex scent, but I have other lemon scents that I like a lot more.

Carnaval Diabolique - There is not a single note in this that I don’t like, with the exception of the "lemon flower", which I didn’t think I'd smelled before. I figured lemon flower wouldn't smell like lemons just like apple blossom and orange blossom don’t smell like apple and orange, respectively. However, the top note in this blend is absolutely lemon. It is not the thick and heavy scent of lemon Pledge, but this is definitely a predominantly lemon scent that reminds me a lot of lemon verbena, and it really bums me out because I don’t care for lemon all that much. The longer it sits on my skin, the more the lemon softens, and eventually becomes a background note (after about 45 minutes or so). Once the lemon scent dissipates, what remains is the lovely floral scents of tuberose and heliotrope blended with a creamy vanilla-coconut swirl. Although this starts out as what I would typically classify a "light" scent, the drydown has a depth that most lighter blends don’t have, and I believe this is attributable to the opium (in particular) and the musk. It’s fascinating how it morphs. I'm really not quite sure what I think of this blend. Should it stay or should it go? I think it needs to stay, age a bit, and hopefully smell even better in a few months.

in the bottle: juicy citrus. i almost thought lime, but i guess that is the lemon flower.

wet: smokey citrus.

as it dries, this is kind of candy like very sweet. i definitely get alot of vanilla, and a splash of coconut, there is also a slightly floral background, but it is so light it is just a shadow of flowers.

Carnaval Diabolique is like tropical coconut meets lemongrass meets opium smoke on me. It's only after ten minutes or so that the floral notes emerge. I am very happy that the tuberose is behaving itself---it normally smells like bananas on me, but I think it's held in check by the other notes.

I really like this, and it strikes me as a great summer nighttime blend, as it's got that tropical side but also the darkness of the opium smoke and black musk. At points it smells like a lemony-floral Perversion on me, which is great, since I love Perversion.

This is very bright and cheerful on me without being twee. I'll wear it if we get some more warm days before the fall and then put it away for next summer.

This smells so good, but is sort of light wearing on me, so I've been reapplying all day and I love it. The opium smoke in the description scared me...as did the tuberose...but again this is well blended with no notes taking the lead. Wow....this is yummy. Black musk, vanilla, coconut, apricot flower, heliotrope..........what a great combination. This is a great one to be named after the entire Carnivale. I love this one and this is gonna cost me a lot in multiples also!!

In bottle:

The tuberose is the first thing that hits me with a slight tang, so that must be the lemon flower

On me:

It goes on all opium on me and makes me think of an incense stand our local Renn Fest (which I was just at today). After a while I can smell a hint of lemon, but it's unusually mild here, instead of being "zesty" or "bright" smelling. The coconut is there in the background, but it's so faint that I really have to *try* to smell it.

The whole time I was wearing this one, I felt like I smelled like an incense booth - just that general smell of incense - like someone was burning lemon incense - it's smokey and sweet and generally incensey, but as if the incense were in a lemon scent (rather than there being the scent of true lemon).

(NEXT DAY) - I decided to try this again the next day, I felt like maybe I wasn't getting the whole scent since I had been exposed to incense and candles and soaps all day long. As I thought would be the case, I am getting more notes in it now than I was yesterday. Once again, the lemon is there - but not very strong. So I wouldn't call this a lemon scent, even though you can smell it, if that makes sense. The coconut is more evident this time around as well, and pairs well with the musk which makes the whole scent smoother and slightly sweeter.

Overall I would say this comes together very well. It's an incense scent, but because of the musk I don't feel like it's a generic incense scent either. It's very smooth and pretty.

Final note:

I like this one. I wasn't sure the first time I tried it, but when I wore it the second day I liked it a lot more. Plus, my fiance said he thought it "smelled really good" and since he doesn't say that very often, I think I'm going to have to keep this one :P

Ok...I'll start out by saying that The Star (tarot oil) is one of my favorite Bpal blends. I love the tangy coconut thing it has going on.

Now, with that said Carnaval Diabolique starts off on my skin as The Star. :P Oh...but it's not done yet. As it dries down, it morphs and the opium smoke comes out to play, while the lemon sits down, humbles itself and lets other scents come out. The coconut is there; but it's taken a seat by the lemon while the smoke, vanilla and the florals play.

I really love this. The more I sniff it, I love it. It's dark, yet playful. Playful like a tiger. :D

In the bottle, it's very floral. Floral, floral, floral.

On my skin, the "lemon flower" takes over and I get a pledge-y kind of scent, backed up by florals. It's very clean, but not nose-tickling-ly so.

The scent morphs over the next few hours, with the apricot coming out, settling into a nice mild vanilla with a hint of apricot at the end. This last stage lasts for a good amount of time (3-4 hours on my skin) with absolutely no hint of florals.

Like Antonious the Carny Barker, the Carnaval starts off with a blast of citrus, which to my nose is right and proper. You must cross a threshold from the mundane world into the world of the carnaval, and citrus here is the ticket holder's booth and the entrance into the bright lights and noise and chaos of the carnaval. An overwhelming blast to the senses that wakes you up and you find that you are not where you were.

Pretty soon though you've left the threshold behind, and are explore the myriad delights this carnaval has to offer.

The scent falls firmly into the oriental/floral category, with added smoke. I feel like I could wear this anywhere - day or night. This is a twilight perfume, neither dark nor light.

Delicately floral, gently smoky, almost amber like in it's sweetness, I feel sexy and mysterious in this perfume. Powerful. This is another wonderful blend.

What a series!

ETA: The longer this is on, the better it gets. It's so gorgeous right now at 2+ hours. *happy happy sigh*

n.

Edited by zenvodunista

All lemon candies, all the time. :P Not something I want to smell like.

ETA: It morphed! Now I can smell the florals, and a bit of musk. I can't identify the other notes. Hmmm..... I'll have to note more carefully how long the morph takes.

Edited by Melantha

In the bottle pure lemon candies. Wet the lemon is very strong and overpowers the other notes, there is a hint of coconut and sweetness. The strong lemon faded pretty quickly, around 15-20 minutes. It dries down to a musky, sweet and smokey light floral, but not too strong with the flowers. It becomes a lovely subtle perfume. I like this one a lot.

Wet: lemon. Then, smoky lemon.

Dry: Sweet, smoky musk. This is really nice! Not sure if I need a bottle, but I'll keep my decant.

Yummy warm lemony vanilla/coconut. So yummy. This is a juicy, foody scent that I just keep breathing in. There is something darker underneath - the opium smoke maybe? I can't say for sure. But gives this an edge that I wouldn't usually suspect from a vanilla/lemon scent.

Initially, this starts off like Dorian with added smoke on me. I wouldn't say it's musky - more slight lemony creamy over a deep layer of smoke. My skin amps tobacco and smoke of any kind so that is predominantly the note of this blend for me. The apricot flower lends a sweetness that is rounded out with just the barest touch of coconut. I don't smell the coconut, per se - but I can pick up the creaminess it is lending to this blend. Drydown is mostly vanilla smoke with light coconut cream for me.

It is rather light wearing. Some people will have to reapply to take advantage of those citrus cream top notes. I tried reapplying and got more smoke.

This was my first try of the CD line and I'd say we are definitely off to a great start.

I really like this scent, but as others have said, I think this needs to age more. Wet, it is overwhelmingly citrus mellowed out with a touch of opium and what I think is the coconut. Dry, the citus mellows a bit, still not much else in the picture. I would love to smell just a bit more musk in this blend, which hopefully will happen when I let it sit. i really do like it,. despite the lack of musk, though. It does smell a lot like Dorian, but perhaps a naughtier Dorian :P

Lemon verbena or lemongrass or litsea first and foremost. I think it's litsea because it is a different smell when you breathe out vs. when you breathe in. There is a woody backlash on the breathing out.

I do smell the coconut and apricot flower but somehow they are fighting with the lemon smell and that is causing a bit of trouble here, once again especially when I breathe out. Strange.

On the other hand, breathing in is a delight. The apricotty elements are in harmony and really sing with the lemon parts.

Again, this could be in my head and in what I pick up versis other people. I am beginning to believe that I have to be very careful around lemon smells because maybe I am very very sensitive to them. Carnival is wonderful when you catch it on the fly, in other words when your hand brushes by your face and you smell it from a distance. The throw is very mild but it is the perfect strength for the blend. It would not be good if it were real strong, it is very good as that wisp of a scent which flits through your mind and then vaporizes. A real natural tease.

EDIT: My skin does -weird- things when it's that time of the month again. Glad I waited -- I tried CD again today and it smelled lovely, lemony-smoke cream with enough floral to make it interesting but not enough to make me hate it. Unfortunately, my skin ate it in less than fifteen minutes. I am in hate with my body chemistry.

--

Old Review

WET: still lemon verbena. I was hoping for something more complex. Please change!

DRYING: the lemon is still very much there, but other things are coming to the surface -- okay, lightly floral. I'm getting a bit more of the smoke here, but not as much as i'd like.

DRYDOWN: elegantly floral lemon pledge. oh, wait, there we go -- vanilla/coconut with apricot, all of a sudden, without any sort of escalation or warning. Rather sweeter than anticipated, although I suppose that was a bit silly of me.

Verdict: I'll let it be for a bit, but probably sell/swap.

Edited by myoubi

Lemon, not the tartness of the juice, but more like the zest of the lemon, full of the oils and then muddled with sugar and vanilla. I can smell the florals in the background with that drizzle of sweet lemon sugar. After about an hour, the lemon moves to the background and it smells faintly woodsy and incensy. Since there is no wood note in the description, I'm thinking that it is the black musk and the opium that I smell. I am a fan of coconut, however I don't really smell a strong note here, but it could just be combining with the sugar and the lemon flower to tame the citrus notes and add creaminess. For me this is absolutely another to be hoarded. So far, I am 3 for 3 with the CD scents - beautiful!

ETA - I guess that it would help, if when I'm testing, to apply a bit more than just a whisper. I re-applied and.......coconut! It's different than I've smelled in other blends, though. It is like fresh young coconut meat.

Edited by portalkat