Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Tisiphone

Oleander with black patchouli, ylang ylang, and neroli.

In the imp: Strong oleander and ylang-ylang.

Wet on my skin: Soft patchouli and SICKLY SWEET OLEANDER with some ylang ylang.

Dry: Okay, so I have somewhat unpleasant scent associations with oleander, and I've always thought it smelled poisonous even before the events of the summer that made me associate it with Bad Things. I knew I was taking a chance in putting this on my skin, but my personal policy is to test ALL imps because you never know what will or will not work until it's on your skin. I can see how it might be nice on others, and it's almost nice on me, but the oleander is just not something I think I can wear. There's just enough of its sweet poison mixing with the bitter neroli that it's dredging up all the bad memories and turning my stomach a little if I sniff it closer to the skin. The throw is actually rather pretty, making me sad that the scent association and close-to-skin scent are so poisonous to me. I know someone who loves these notes and who'll appreciate this, though, so it will find a good home. :)

On first sniff, I didn't read Tisiphone as a floral at all. On my skin the floral notes just begin to creep out, but are still overwhelmed. Black patchouli can be an enemy of mine, and it does me no favors here. Neroli is usually good on me, and I wish there were more here, but the black patch beats it into submission. This is just not distinctive or long wearing on me, either. Swaps.

In the imp: Mostly oleander and ylang ylang, darkened by the black patchouli, with a bit of bitter neroli.

Wet: The oleander and ylang ylang are the dominant notes, but I'm getting more of the neroli on my skin than I did in the imp. The black patchouli started off in the background, but it's becoming more prominent over time.

Dry: This is a dark floral scent. The floral notes are still pretty strong, with the oleander being the stronger of the two. The black patchouli has cozied up to the florals now, giving the scent a bit of a smoky vibe, and the neroli is also stronger than it had been before. Neroli is sometimes a problem note for me, but it hasn't caused a headache or turned weird on my skin in this scent.

Verdict: This isn't a scent that I would reach for (being a fan of sugary florals), but it's better than I thought it would be (given that there is black patchouli and neroli in the scent description).

In the imp: Yes, that's oleander. It's less sweet than my imp of Oleander Honey, but that's not saying much. 

On my skin:

Spoke too soon. Wet, this is exactly like Oleander Honey on me. As it dries, I get a bit more ylang ylang, which keeps the floral but undercuts the oleander's heady sweetness, and patchouli and neroli, that add a bit of grounding and bitterness. Given more time, I note that while the neroli does add some bitterness, it also adds a touch of brightness that makes the florals easier to manage. 

All that said, though, it's still a very heady florally blend, which is not so much my thing.