Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Ulalume

Starry white lilies lend an eerie brightness to the deep black wooded scents of cypress and oak, layered with a touch of crushed dried leaves and the faintest aquatic note.

This was one of the most prettily changable of the scents I've tried. It reminds me of a sunrise in a deep forest. When I put it it on it was shadowy and woody, very evocative. The longer I wore it the brighter it became. At the end it was all lovely serene white lilies. Very ethereal and beautiful.

Preconceived notions:

I actually ordered an imp of Ulalume in my first order but swapped it without actually trying it because it smelled too aquatic and floral for me in bottle. But now I've got another imp and I'm going to give it a second chance...or a first chance, technically, since I never tried it on the first time. :P

First sniff:

Very aquatic smelling but with a slightly musty undertone that has to be the leaves and cypress. I love woodsy scents, but aquatics are hit or miss and tend to give me hives, so I don't know if this will work for me or not.

Wet on skin:

The cypress is stronger now that Ulalume is on me instead of in the imp and I can also smell the oak and leaves clearly now, too. The aquatic note is still lingering in the background, buit it's much more subtle now. I'm not quite sure if I like this or not, to tell the truth, but I'll make a decision once and for all once it's dry.

Dry down:

The lily is coming out in full-force now that Ulalume is dry. Unfortunately, I don't like lily (or florals in general for that matter). This is still quite strong on the cypress, but it's not enough to save this scent for me, I don't think. I'm also getting a pretty nasty case of hives where I applied the oil, so even if I did like this, I don't think it would get enough wear to warrant keeping it.

The bottom line:

Ulalume is a nice enough scent, but it's definitely not for me. I'll be getting rid of this one. :D

Ulalume intrigued me from the first time I read the description, but it took me a long time to try it. I thought it sounded fascinating and romantic, but that the combination of notes surely had to be bizarre or even.... icky.

I was so, so wrong. Ulalume is one of my favorite BPAL blends now.

In the bottle, it smells like the woods to me. We didn't have much in the way of woods growing up, mostly scrubby little oak trees and pine trees with a little creek running through, right behind our house. But the fresh air and the smell of the trees, blended with the earthy, mossy smell of the floor of the woods, is what I get from Ulalume at first. It isn't the deep, dark brown earth of Burial or Nosferatu, or the lighter smell of dry earth of Zombi, but more of a living earth smell.

Once applied, I get the scent of lilies and I'm amazed by the way that this light, glowing floral works with the mossy scent of the woods. I adore lily notes of all types and this one is just beautiful. Others have mentioned that Ulalume seems like a blend of two different perfumes, and I tend to agree - but it is a blend that works in wonderful harmony. It's a great blend to wear when you want the feminity of a floral but feel like you need something to help you feel strong and grounded too.

This was a generous gift, one that I probably wouldn't have tried otherwise.

First Impression: Dirt, freshly churned.

Second Impression: This smells like stagnant, mossy pond water on my skin. Not working well on me at all.

Final Analysis: I'm happy to have gotten to sample this blend, but it's not for me.

This blend was not what I was expecting. I thought it would be a rather earthy aquatic, lightened by lily. Instead, it is a very light and clear scent. It called to mind an old fairy tale in which there is an enchanted bathing pool in the woods. It is made of cool marble and is surrounded by a verge of flowers and then the woods. That is what I get almost exactly from this blend: clear cold water, white lilies, and faint wood notes in the background.

This is not one I would have tried, but I'm glad I got the chance to.

In the bottle it's an earthy floral.

Wearing it turns to a clean, light floral, watery and pure. I can't detect any wood or crushed leaf notes.

Unfortunately it's a little too light on me and faded very quickly. For me it had no staying power or throw at all which is sad, because it was very pretty while it lasted.

Ulalume:

Wet: Very aquatic.

Drydown: Hints of.. tree smell. It's like a forest at night, but not an evergreen forest but a maple or oak forest. It's very nice.

Longterm wear: I don't know that I'd wear this often, but I really like it. I'll probably keep the imp, and decide later if it's a big bottle scent.

This is so beautiful, and one I'd never expect to like.

I smell primarily aquatic lilies, and in the background a faint undertone of woods and a VERY slight hint of an earth smell. This smells crystalline, clear, and lovely, yet very natural. It's like the most pristine beautiful pond and the surrounding scenery. The "color" impression I'm getting is ivory flecked with an earthy forest green.

Bright on top, with complex shadows underneath.

In the vial and in the first few minutes on my skin, the topnote is almost entirely bright aquatic flowers. It’s brightness is similar to Sea of Glass in some way, but there is a warmer overall sense to it. A warm wood note really comes through after about ten minutes, though the woodiness never overtakes the flowers.

I keep my imp of this at work, in a drawer of my desk. If I am feeling tired or demoralized I put some on—for some reason this scent really makes me feel better emotionally.

Immediately upon application I get a rainy, florally scent, but then the cypress and oak pop out--lillies winding up fragrant green woods after a heavy rainfall. For some reason the green note in this reminds me of the green note in Mabon :P I can almost see this as Mabon's more summery twin--Mabon, just as a different season. It's a beautiful scent, but I think I'm getting a touch of a soap undertone...just a touch, mind you, and almost ALL BPAL florals turn soapy on me.

In Bottle: Leaves and water.

On Skin: This has to be the most interesting scent I’ve smelled so far. WOW! It smells very Octobery! The smell of freshly fallen leaves that have landed on the wet ground from rain or melted snow… Woody trees and cold air. I do wish there was a bit of smoke in the scent since I’m used to people buring leaves or lighting their fireplaces here in October in Colorado. It’s not a scent I would wear, but I want to hold onto it and make a room scent or a sachet for when I need the feeling of fall.

Received this imp as a freebie from the Lab..thank you!!! This was not on my original list of oils to try. What fun to try scents!!!

Sniffed from imp: I get the brightness of the lillies and the cypress..not too much on the oak. This smells *wet* to me...like wet woods/flowers...sort of marsh-like..am definitely getting the touch aquatic.

Applied wet on skin: Oh yes...it is definitely lillies and cypress and wetness...on me the cypress is one on one wih the lillies..am not too sure I am registering the oak..I feel like I am in some dark, damp woods.

Couple of minutes dry on skin: Am still getting the lillies and cypress..but now it's more cypress taking the lead with lily following...and the aquatic not too far behind.

What an interesting oil this is...I have never tried anything like this before. It seems earthy and dark..but not sinister...hmmmm :D

The lillies and the aquatic go give it some *brightness* albeit a degree of freshness...so for me the visual I get of this is walking in the dark woods at midnight...it's almost pitch black..and then coming acrosss a creek/brook with lillies..found by moonlight. Now..I have never walked in any type of wood at midnight...but this is what my brain is registering..hee hee!!!

:D :D :P

After an hour or so: Everything softened somewhat..but it's still the three notes on me..lillies,cypress,aquatic. Interestingly enough, the throw is more lily driven..one must sniff closer to get that cypress/earthy note..but it is still there. Good lasting power.

Bottom line: Very unique fragrance...I myself will not purchase a bottle because the cypress is a bit too earthy for me..but for people who like earthy..this is definitely one to try. Thank you Lab again for letting me try this very unique imp.

Rating (on skin): 1/5

Summarised in a word or two: Flowery Zombi.

In the imp/bottle: Uh-oh. This smells like a floral version of Zombi.

On skin, wet: Yes indeed, flowery Zombi. Bright flowers and sickly, stomach-turning earth.

On skin, dry: Not much change from wet. Like dumping cut flowers on a patch of freshly-turned earth.

Conclusion: I don't like most florals, I don't like Zombi, so I don't like this.

Edited by Aredhel

In the bottle: Aquatic, with the oak right behind it, reminding me of the Hesperides. The lilies here smell almost fruity, very sweet.

Wearing: Now the lilies are actually floral, and quite lovely, at that. I can still smell the oak, but I can also smell the cypress now. It doesn't smell strongly of evergreen, just very green indeed. Maybe that's the leaves I smell? Very natural--as others have said, definitely a "rain in a forest" scent. I still want to compare it to the Hesperides, only less fruity and more masculine.

Later: Almost all aquatic now, with just a faint hint of lily. This has a tart, almost candy-like quality, much like Circe. Good lord, this is gorgeous. The best term I can find for it is captivating.

Overall: Love! I love it. Keeping the imp, definitely.

I'm a fan of aquatics, but I don't detect an aquatic note in Ulalume on my skin. What I do get is a bouquet of soft aromatic woods. My husband thought it smelled a little spicy. It's like a less musty version of Grandmother of Ghosts.

I was excited to try this because of the description of smelling like dried leaves and oak. I thought that it would be a lovely 'forest in fall' type of scent.

When I first applied this, it was disappointingly awful. Sharply perfumey and bitter. The aquatic note is all I can smell and it is biting... the kind of bad taste in my mouth sensation that I get from biting into an orange peel.

I kept waiting for it to get softer or more woodsy. However, I stupidly overlooked the 'white lilies' part of this description. This fragrance reminded me exactly why I usually run away from white florals. They go very perfumey/soapy and sharp on my skin. The woods never came out over my skin amping up the white florals.

Sadly, this went from bad-aquatic to bad-floral on my skin...

Strongly oak & cedar in the vial & on my skin. Faint scent of lilies, but the wood notes are nearly overpowering while wet. Wood notes tend to fade in strength once they dry on me, so I decided to keep it wearing it.

Dry - the wood notes do fade, but the oak is still there, not as strong as before, but it's a sharper note than I'm used to. Lilies have come out to play, & there's some aquatics as well. Aquatics & lilies = fine. Aquatics + oak = this smells TOO weird. Oak & aquatic notes really shouldn't mix. One's too strong, & the other is rather passive... Ulalume is better suited to someone else's skin that can handle the mix.

Edited by oatmealneko

old review from about a year ago: Dusty on top, underneath is a light fruit that I like and a much stronger woody scent that I don't.

In bottle: White lilies blooming in a forest between fallen logs of oak and surrounded by layers of dusty dry leaves. The air is heavy and moist. This is a very rich, earthy scent, but with such a sparkling quality the fragrance doesn't seem dark.

On me: Far from faint, the aquatics are dizzying in strength. I wonder why I disliked this before - I find it gorgeous now. It is sparkling and bright, but the woods restrain it and keep it from becoming overwhelmingly sweet.

Ulalume smells like dry, rotting leaves in the middle of the forest in the fall on my skin.

The end.

provenance: lagniappe from the lab!!! obrigada!!! you are the best!!

particularly since i wouldn't have chosen to try this on my own...and i suspect that i may purchase a big bottle of it.

this is haunting. deepest, darkest woods, so deep that there is no direct light for miles. continuous twilight. a ruin by a mill pond, where starlit lilies planted aeons ago bloom for lost loves.

stellar.

wet, fresh floral, but not bright or special. not a bad blend, but it doesn't "speak" to me. its slightly watery. As it dries it distinguishes itself a bit more, becoming powdery and green. Its a cool, fresh scent, if i had to associate it with a color, it would be the green skin of a bartlett pear. It also retains its feminity, despite being "fresh" and "clean" which is why its nice.

i like it but don't love it. 3/5

Bottle: Strong sweet decay scent, slightly like over-done lilacs

On me: Damp leaves, dead leaves, super-old lilacs, and... cinnamon? I was looking for an autumn/fall scent that would be like dead leaves and this is exactly what I was looking for! The cinnamon buries itself in the florals and rolls around like a dog.

Overall: Want a 5ml for the autumn time, or at least another imp of it. My coworkers looked at me funny when I said "I smell like dead leaves!" but I think they liked it anyways. I love the scent overall and it doesn't sicken me with it's sweetness. I really like it.

Ulalume is entirely freshwater aquatic on me, except in the very last hours before it fades completely. Then I get a tiny, wee lily peeking up out of the water.

This scent would be a light blue-turquoise colour, and it invokes scenes of clear forest ponds and cold mountain lakes. It's a pleasant, nearly sweet scent, and it is never too strong at any point.

I haven't anything at all bad to say about Ulalume.

Except that it smells of freshwater, and I am nearly phobic of freshwater. Lakes and ponds disturb me deeply, always have. O Ulalume, if only you smelled more salty...like Jolly Roger...then we could be friends.

First on, this is a lovely buttery-smooth floral scent, lightly herbed rather than spiced. The slight sharpness this produces soon fades to leave a gorgeous grounded earthy undertone, reminiscent of new-fallen oakleaves under the smooth, almost musky floral. After about half an hour or so on me, it changes again to a lighter, calm white musk type scent with a mere hint of the previous leafiness.

It's a very pleasant scent, different enough from the usual light non-BPAL aquatics to be a little unusual.

I didn't originally know what the name referred to, so I Googled it and found the poem, though not until after I'd tried the oil. But I think it makes a certain amount of sense... I could see this scent being evocative of ghoul-haunted woodlands, dim lakes, and funeral flowers.

Thankfully, the lilies didn't amp up too severely on my skin... They were strong enough that I'd still characterize this scent as more floral than not, at least on me, but they weren't unbearably strong. There's a nice earthy/foresty undertone to it, that fortunately was in no way similar to the nasty graveyard dirt note from Zombi. And I can definitely get the aquatic element.

My overall impression was that it smelled swampy, though not in a bad way. A faint whiff of almost-too-sweet flowers in a damp, boggy forest. It's pretty well-balanced -- not so floral as to be overly sweet, but not so earthy or swampy as to be unpleasant. Definitely a haunting scent that stirs strange images in the mind.

But not, alas, a particularly long-lasting one. I put it on (for the second time that day), left the house and walked for about 20 minutes to meet my partner at the local occult shop, and by the time I got there, she had a hard time smelling it on me without pressing her nose right to my arm. Oh well. Still nice enough that I'll almost certainly use up the imp.

Grade: B