Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ocicat

Orange Blossom and Neroli Recs

thank you :-) i just ordered sacredwhore of babylon, how is that one with the orange blossom?

I don't get orange or orange blossom from Sacred Whore at all. I find that the floral in that is more like a heavy, sweet, creamy gardenia. It's like gardenia with honeyed almonds and light spice on my skin, but very unique, dark, and unusual. Sacred Whore is one of my favorites. I find it really sultry and exotic. No orange blossom, though, lol.

okay lol the notes are still a mystery so thats why i asked, ok well thats fine i don't mind having another gardenia scent :P

Edited by lucifera

Hey ppl!

Would Paramatman be good choice (with trow)? or is Hunger way beter?

i need your help again ;) :reviews:

Edited by lucifera

I agree with Hunger over Paramatman for an orange blossom scent. Hunger is rich, gorgeous orange blossom and has lots of throw and staying power. Paramatman is more of a sandalwood incense blend.

Definitely go with Hunger for your orange blossom blend. I love orange blossom and I love sandalwood, but I wear Paramatman for the sandalwood in it and not the orange blossom.

I'm looking for a true orange blossom scent: that is, one that smells like the actual flowers of the orange tree. They have no trace whatsoever of the scent of the orange fruit or orange rind.

I have been unhappy with nearly all fragrances labeled "orange blossom" since most perfumers just don't seem to get it that the flowers smell nothing at all like oranges. It's one of my pet peeves. I've lived with orange trees in my backyards for 50 years, and believe me, I know the difference. Orange blossom is one of my most-beloved scents in the world, and I've searched for decades for a fragrance that can make me (and my home) smell like that any time of the year. But I don't care for the scent of the fruit in a perfume - I don't want to smell like something to eat! (BTW, Trader Joe's makes a liquid handwashing soap that has a very authentic orange blossom scent, but of course I can't use that as a perfume or home fragrance.)

Torrilin's post (#26 in this thread) linked to a review that I was really interested in (comparing Orange Blossom vs. Neroli), but unfortunately only members registered to that site can view it. Torrilin, if you see this, could you possibly PM me a copy of that review, please? Thank you!

And I'm particularly interested in Beth's versions of both Orange Blossom and Neroli. Has anyone tried the BPAL single notes for both? How do they differ? Do either of them have the true floral-not-fruity scent I'm looking for? Can anyone recommend a BPAL fragrance blend that smells like real orange blossoms without any trace of the fruit?

I'm looking for a true orange blossom scent: that is, one that smells like the actual flowers of the orange tree. They have no trace whatsoever of the scent of the orange fruit or orange rind.

I have been unhappy with nearly all fragrances labeled "orange blossom" since most perfumers just don't seem to get it that the flowers smell nothing at all like oranges. It's one of my pet peeves. I've lived with orange trees in my backyards for 50 years, and believe me, I know the difference. Orange blossom is one of my most-beloved scents in the world, and I've searched for decades for a fragrance that can make me (and my home) smell like that any time of the year. But I don't care for the scent of the fruit in a perfume - I don't want to smell like something to eat! (BTW, Trader Joe's makes a liquid handwashing soap that has a very authentic orange blossom scent, but of course I can't use that as a perfume or home fragrance.)

Torrilin's post (#26 in this thread) linked to a review that I was really interested in (comparing Orange Blossom vs. Neroli), but unfortunately only members registered to that site can view it. Torrilin, if you see this, could you possibly PM me a copy of that review, please? Thank you!

And I'm particularly interested in Beth's versions of both Orange Blossom and Neroli. Has anyone tried the BPAL single notes for both? How do they differ? Do either of them have the true floral-not-fruity scent I'm looking for? Can anyone recommend a BPAL fragrance blend that smells like real orange blossoms without any trace of the fruit?

I've never tried the single notes, and also there is the issue with every blend smelling different on everyone... however, I've spent a lot of time in FL (and also adore the scent of fresh orange blossoms) and so far the only blend that has smelled, on me, very heavily of orange blossom is Lolita. It smells just divine, not at all fruity.

I'm totally ganking all these suggestions. I've just figured out that I ADORE orange blossom. It's...snuggly...for lack of a better word. If it's in a blend, it sticks around on me longer than the other notes and just seems warm and fuzzy somehow. This is after trying to figure out why I get the same feeling from both Les Bijoux and Tavern of Hell even though they're very different. I think I've isolated the reason.

A bit of belated advice but Khrysee is the scent I grab when I want to smell a true orange blossom. Notes are: Vanilla amber and orange blossom.

A bit of belated advice but Khrysee is the scent I grab when I want to smell a true orange blossom. Notes are: Vanilla amber and orange blossom.

Seconding this. Close to the skin, all you get is the amber, but the throw is all orange blossom.

ETA: Let's talk about NEROLI! (Neroli thread merged w/orange blossom thread)

I see BPAL released a neroli single note back in the day, and although the BPAL Search feature is down while I write this, thanks to Google, I get this old list.

I see that Yves Roche recently released a neroli fragrance that has been received well (neroli and white musk), and I watched this

, put out by Lush.

I have Lorelei, Tisiphone, and Titus on the TO SNIFF list right now (I've tried many on the above list, but none live with me right now).

How do you feel about neroli and what are your BPAL favorites?

ETA: (remembers that bottle of Old Demons of the First Class in the back of the BPAL cabinet...rushes to slather...)

ETA: Jezebel in the imp box!

Edited by lookingglass

Akuma (blood orange, neroli, and raspberry) is one of my favorite BPALs. It does have that blood orange note that you may not like, but the neroli is definitely there. It's a light, kind of sweet-and-sour fruit scent - almost like fruit candy. Definitely worth a try!

I get neroli from water snake even tho it is not listed... perhaps because it has a syrupy vibe to me... and mandarin instead of orange. Still I swore there was neroli in it to somebody lately. I noticed it as neroli instead of orange or mandarin or tangerine after wearing peach V.

Oh, I love neroli too! I agree that Akuma is yummy and very true to the scent description of Kajacana, sweet yet tart. I also love Desire (bittersweet neroli, black patchouli and black musk, gilded by apple, bergamot, blood red rose, teak, and vanilla). It is more sweet though, and very heady, strong, and sexy. If you are looking for that cleaner, citrus type blend with neroli, you may like Zephyr (Lemon, lemon verbena, neroli, white musk, white florals, white sandalwood, China musk, bergamot and a drop of vanilla). It's one of my favorites for Summer, light and fresh. I have also tried 51, (green mandarin, neroli, honeydew, white amber, guava, freesia, white and green musks hovering over desert scrub, smashed wood, and the dry, biting scent of night air over the Groom Lake salt flats) but frankly I don't get a lot of neroli from it. It's a scent I like but I amp the melon, but as it is a GC scent it would easy to score an imp. When it comes to LE blends with neroli, my fave is Orange Pumpkin Floss, an oil the Post did from last years Weenies (Pumpkin candyfloss with neroli, pink grapefruit, blood orange, and petitgrain). Very foody and perfect for fall!

I love the idea of neroli ( the warm, diffusive, almost musky, and heady flouffy characteristics).. but unfortunately for me, it almost always is so persistent, that it causes sinus inflammation. If it plays second-fiddle in a blend however, it works well for me.

The only scent I have with neroli in it is last years BPTP Orange Pumpkin Floss (Pumpkin candyfloss with neroli, pink grapefruit, blood orange, and petitgrain.) OH MY I am very much in love with this. I try not to use it too much in fear I won't find it anymore, but it is a lovely, cozy kind of orange scent....been wearing it lately while Weenie stalking!! :)

I love neroli, but I am always mystified when I read reviews of neroli scents and people describe them as being orange juicy. I don't get orange from it at all, and if I didn't know it was a kind of orange blossom I wouldn't associate it with that at all. It's such a beautiful, warm, sweet floral. I do tend to like it best when it gets to stand out, rather than just being a hint of floral sweetness in something with more dominating notes. Lorelei and Akuma both show it off well.

I love neroli and orange blossom (which smell slightly different and are from a different distillation process. I'll post a link here for those who don't know, or who like me, couldn't remember what the difference was! link) I can't always tell the difference, bit sometimes neroli has a bit more green scent to me (probably from the petitgrain?) Sometimes it has a hint of something that I think of as "pickle-y!"

Anyway, my hands down BPAL fave is Vixen: orange blossom, ginger and patchouli. It is drop dead gorgeous and sexy, and the orange blossom takes center stage.

I also have some faves from other places, like Arcana's The Sweet Trade, which is heavy on neroli (also caramel, sandalwood and I can't remember what else). But you know, neroli is no shy floral, so it seems heavy--I like to think heady and intoxicating--in almost any blend it shows up in.

I'm not big on florals in general, but I love neroli!

**agreeing with Gateau--I never get that when people say that and think they might just expect it to smell like that. It's actually a very creamy white floral. (and sometimes with a hint of green)

Edited by cuervosueno

I love neroli and orange blossom (which smell slightly different and are from a different distillation process. I'll post a link here for those who don't know, or who like me, couldn't remember what the difference was! link) I can't always tell the difference, bit sometimes neroli has a bit more green scent to me (probably from the petitgrain?) Sometimes it has a hint of something that I think of as "pickle-y!"

Anyway, my hands down BPAL fave is Vixen: orange blossom, ginger and patchouli. It is drop dead gorgeous and sexy, and the orange blossom takes center stage.

I also have some faves from other places, like Arcana's The Sweet Trade, which is heavy on neroli (also caramel, sandalwood and I can't remember what else). But you know, neroli is no shy floral, so it seems heavy--I like to think heady and intoxicating--in almost any blend it shows up in.

I'm not big on florals in general, but I love neroli!

**agreeing with Gateau--I never get that when people say that and think they might just expect it to smell like that. It's actually a very creamy white floral. (and sometimes with a hint of green)

Thanks for the clarification! I've changed the title of the thread accordingly!